Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will insurance company check to see if you have penalty points?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭CoBo55

Well I trust we won't be seeing any comments in the future from you on your little Shetland pony giving out about high insurance premiums or how insurers should do more to prevent fraudulent claims etc

Where do you put the insurance disc on a Shetland pony?

I suspect you won't - besides as the insurer will potentially find out and the OP will pay for the damages or have trouble with insurance going forward, will he/she really be the reason for high insurance, or is that more likely to be the false injury claim for 40k...

Hopefully the OP has learned a lot from our lack of useful discussion.

Mother of God in heaven spare us...
    Boards.ie at its best.

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭Zenify

Once the insurance company finds out about your penalty points they will be against you. There is no ahh sure its grand with this sort of thing. Do not lie any further if questioned about it but I would not ring them to tell them.

Zenify wrote: »
    Once the insurance company finds out about your penalty points they will be against you. There is no ahh sure its grand with this sort of thing. Do not lie any further if questioned about it but I would not ring them to tell them.

Hard to know what punishment they'll hand out but I can't see them taking his house as some here would lead you to believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,934 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Beatty69 wrote: »
    Hi,

Wonder if anyone can help, no judging please.

I have penalty points that I haven't declared because in 30 years I've never had an accident but of course as luck would have it I've now had one.

Will the insurance company go and check my penalty point record now that a claim is going in?

Generally it's up to policy holder to disclose any penalty points at renewal or taking out new policy. The consequences of not disclosing could result in policy being voided. Specifically, you ask because of a pending claim, I have to say it's quite likely this will be checked in this circumstance.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭berettaman

Dempo1 wrote: »
    Generally it's up to policy holder to disclose any penalty points at renewal or taking out new policy. The consequences of not disclosing could result in policy being voided. Specifically, you ask because of a pending claim, I have to say it's quite likely this will be checked in this circumstance.

For a variety of stupid reasons .. have x number of points .
    declared it and get a 30% loading.

If your insurance is €600 it becomes say, ..€800 or even €900 then.
    If you have a serious accident that costs €€€'000 and you are covered.
    This is a no brainer surely.?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,934 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

berettaman wrote: »
    For a variety of stupid reasons .. have x number of points .
    declared it and get a 30% loading.

If your insurance is €600 it becomes say, ..€800 or even €900 then.
    If you have a serious accident that costs €€€'000 and you are covered.
    This is a no brainer surely.?

Not sure what your point is? (No pun intended), my answer to the OP relates to the question asked, namely disclosing penalty points and insurance company checking same now that a claim has commenced. Not at all sure why your referring to cost of insurance when disclosing penalty points, clearly that was not done as per OP"s concerns.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭tcawley29

Hope the OP gets nailed for this

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,644 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

This comment was unhelpful at best......

It was totally accurate.

Advertisement