Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will insurance company check to see if you have penalty points?

Options
  • 12-04-2021 4:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭

Hi,

Wonder if anyone can help, no judging please.

I have penalty points that I haven't declared because in 30 years I've never had an accident but of course as luck would have it I've now had one.

Will the insurance company go and check my penalty point record now that a claim is going in?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭davo2001

they ask when you renew your insurance. If you dont declare them and have an accident then your insurance is null and void and won't pay out.

If it's 3 points or less then it shouldn't affect your insurance cost

• Registered Users Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

They usually don't care unless you have more than three.

They don't check anything when you take out the policy.

Guaranteed they'll check if you ever need to make a claim.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,701 ✭✭✭Cheensbo

They'll likely check, how many have you?

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭Horusire

davo2001 wrote: »
    they ask when you renew your insurance. If you dont declare them and have an accident then your insurance is null and void and won't pay out.

If it's 3 points or less then it shouldn't affect your insurance cost

They will obviously pay out to the third party if there is one?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,942 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Horusire wrote: »
    They will obviously pay out to the third party if there is one?

And then go after the OP for whatever they pay out because they didn't declare the points. You have to declare them when you get the letter from the RSA not at renewal because getting penalty points is material change to the policy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭Beatty69

Cheensbo wrote: »
    They'll likely check, how many have you?

Beatty69 wrote: »

You're up against it i'd say -

I would probably say nothing and own up to the oversight if / when the time comes and hope for the best,

Insurance companies are not the forgiving type though, i wish you luck.

35% loading with AXA

Cheensbo wrote: »
    You're up against it i'd say -

I would probably say nothing and own up to the oversight if / when the time comes and hope for the best,

Insurance companies are not the forgiving type though, i wish you luck.

Time has come, had an accident on Friday. :(

Time has come, had an accident on Friday. :(

I know, I was trying to be a bit cryptic rather than straight out tell you to keep shtum unless it specifically comes up. I wouldn't be doing their work for them like.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,739 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Aviva, Axa, Allianz, FBD, Liberty, RSA and Zurich have access to the penalty points database already, not telling them would be foolish.

https://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/motors/motor-insurance-firms-given-access-to-penalty-points-database-1.2727474?mode=amp

• Registered Users Posts: 1,430 ✭✭✭Gerry T

Beatty69 wrote:
    Time has come, had an accident on Friday.

If the accident is your fault and not expensive msy be best to just pay the bills yourself.
    Other parties fault no issue.
    Guards involved thats a problem

• Registered Users Posts: 22,255 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Best case scenario: They never become an issue.
    Worst case scenario: The insurer takes the premium off you, you have an accident with another car, and they revoke cover because of undeclared points. While keeping your premium of course, because they have to compensate the other driver.

Tell them. If they load your premium, it'll be double figures at worst. Possibly no change.

Edit: Right. Just read 6 points! Halfway to a ban! Either slow down or stop bumping into things!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,978 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

Definitely tell them however I have six points and it has made no difference to my premiums but I do shop around via two brokers and Chill.ie.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,888 ✭✭✭CoBo55

Cutting through the double talk, you had 6 points at your most recent renewal and didn't declare them, now you need to make a claim is that correct?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,255 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Gerry T wrote: »
    If the accident is your fault and not expensive msy be best to just pay the bills yourself.

Depends on the goodwill/patience of the other driver.

After a bad experience, if it were me he'd crashed with, it'd be going through insurance from the get go. Up to the other driver if they want to pay back their Insurance company then.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

CoBo55 wrote: »
    Cutting through the double talk, you had 6 points at your most recent renewal and didn't declare them, now you need to make a claim is that correct?

That's my reading of it.

Whatever about what happens now, they will pay out the third party but May come after you for this. Also good luck getting insurance in future, this is not something they look kindly on thankfully

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Posts advocating lying to insurer removed.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

That's my reading of it.

Whatever about what happens now, they will pay out the third party but May come after you for this. Also good luck getting insurance in future, this is not something they look kindly on thankfully

Yeah, a cancelled policy is the big stick youll be facing OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭stopthevoting

CoBo55 wrote: »
    That's my reading of it. ...

Not necessarily AT the most recent renewal. It could have been SINCE the most recent renewal. And if so, post number 6 refers to that situation anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭FileNotFound

Sorry to hear OP - hindsight is great and all.

Google if your company is meant to have access to the system for points.

If they do I suppose you have 2 options, 1 contact and hope for the best (Hard to know with insurance as they are a bit soulless) or 2 seee if you can cover costs somehow (obviously dependent on damage quantity this may not be feasible).

Tough one to be caught in. I imagine they check as part of processing and if they catch it down the line you may just get an auto letter about how they won't fulfill... Then I am not sure what happens legally.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

Insurers usually ask for a completed claim form and a copy of the current licence in the event of a claim. The licence will then be checked for points. That is why they insist on these documents, even if you attempt to settle privately. At inception or renewal, they take your word for it on what you are declaring. In the event of a claim, they check everything out.

If you are at fault, they will pay the 3rd party. They are within their rights to refuse a claim for your own damage. More frequently, they will seek to recover their outlay from you personally if there has been a misrepresentation

We don't know when the points were accrued. Some policies say you must advise insurers immediately, some say at renewal. This is important. BTW, because some insurers don't load for X amount of points doesn't mean you don't have to declare them. You must and it is up to the insurer to decide if it's material

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,665 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Did you not declare the points to save a few € on the premium O.P?

Did you not declare the points to save a few € on the premium O.P?

Yes obviously.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,665 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Yes obviously.

That was unwise at best.

That was unwise at best.

This comment was unhelpful at best.

@OP: Any luck on talking to the company or is it a waiting game?

This comment was unhelpful at best.

?

Why would you want to be helpful towards someone who has admitted insurance fraud?

Why would you want to be helpful towards someone who has admitted insurance fraud?

The OP came on admitting they had done wrong, and looking for some advice - if there was to be any in his/her current circumstances.

Cannot see the point in useless comments that contribute nothing of value. Guess maybe the view is different from up on the high horse..

Cannot see the point in useless comments that contribute nothing of value. Guess maybe the view is different from up on the high horse..

Well I trust we won't be seeing any comments in the future from you on your little Shetland pony giving out about high insurance premiums or how insurers should do more to prevent fraudulent claims etc

• Advertisement

Well I trust we won't be seeing any comments in the future from you on your little Shetland pony giving out about high insurance premiums or how insurers should do more to prevent fraudulent claims etc

I suspect you won't - besides as the insurer will potentially find out and the OP will pay for the damages or have trouble with insurance going forward, will he/she really be the reason for high insurance, or is that more likely to be the false injury claim for 40k...

Hopefully the OP has learned a lot from our lack of useful discussion.

Advertisement