Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

RTE 1: 'Today' with Claire Byrne

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,465 ✭✭✭boardise

Is it true Michael Martin sponsored one of the prizes for the golf? That was mentioned in the Phil Hogan thread.

Even if he did it means nothing. It's just a casual gesture of goodwill for a social outing where he would not know what programme of events might have been planned . Plus he would naturally expect that guidelines would be in place. He would be told by a secretary that the Taoiseach normally does this every year and it would be done in a few seconds on the nod. Busy leader of a country couldn't spend any time on such incidentals.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭KevRossi

Hard to know what to make of it; it's not as if she was unprepared, the story broke last Thursday and was indeed continuously breaking during the programme on Friday morning. Claire Byrne is an experienced broadcaster, on radio and TV, so I don't think nerves could be an excuse, indeed we were told she got the job due to 'experience'.

I felt she dropped the ball with Micheal Martin, she could have been a bit more tenacious with him, and she started on Pearse Doherty with the funeral story, one that Doherty was obviously going to be well prepared for.

She has a long way to go and will be given a lot of time, but her performance today was a C-, especially when there was only going to be three topics to discuss; Hogan, schools and Dail recall. Overall, a somewhat disappointing start.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,851 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

boardise wrote: »
    Even if he did it means nothing. It's just a casual gesture of goodwill for a social outing where he would not know what programme of events might have been planned . Plus he would naturally expect that guidelines would be in place. He would be told by a secretary that the Taoiseach normally does this every year and it would be done in a few seconds on the nod. Busy leader of a country couldn't spend any time on such incidentals.

Is that you Bertie

Seems I am missing a bit of car crash radio here!

I must have heard a different interview to most here -it was far from a car crash.
    The questioning was clear and ordered. Pressure was applied without badgering.
    I thought the Taoiseach performed well across a range of extremely troublesome issues -many unresolved and for which no easy unproblematic solutions present themselves. ( Ritual clarification -I'm not a FF member/voter )
    But that's ok -I'm well used to being in the minority and I could be as wrong as bedamned.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

I didn’t enjoy the show at all, found her voice very monotonous and I was tuning out. First day so will give her a chance, will be back to Pat tomorrow and will podcast her show.

As for Mehole, my god he is a brutal speaker, so, so bad. You’d think he’d have a few set answers ready even. He had a shocker, doesn’t bode well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭Sorolla

I reckon I am used to the Sarah Mac style of interviewing (plus her wonderful voice) and I found Claire a little too timid today.

The Taoiseach got a soft interview.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭pinkyeye

Just had a wee look on the RTE site - MM's body language looks like he's being interviewed by the Gardai.

Sweat pouring off him. :D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,002 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

I hope she has a good nights sleep in her wooden shed.

Sarah Mac was way better. All round.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,592 ✭✭✭✭elperello

I heard all the MM interview and after that bits here and there.

I thought CB did well, all thing considered ,for a first show.

Very much in at the deep end, imagine, first interview the Taoiseach in the middle of a crisis.

• Site Banned Posts: 280 ✭✭CertifiedSimp

Listend to a clip for just a couple minutes, Claires voice sounds different on the radio compared to TV.

I found she frowned a lot on TV and emphasised a lot of her words.

She was looking peachy though, blonde hair and nice glasses. What a babe!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭Cole

I just listened back to the MM interview, and it was very uninspiring from both sides. I heard the rest of the show live and it wasn't great, but it's only been one show...her first show.

The different Today Show threads have always been among the best on this forum, but the unquestioning praise/love in for Sarah, which suddenly hijacked (imo) Sarah's old thread last Friday, is now where this thread seems to be going. Rather than have a reasonably balanced discussion on the new Today Show (Sarah's gone), it seems to be a 'Claire's useless and Sarah's amazing' thread...falling over one another to get on the "Bring back Sarah" theme.

Seems you were right, Brendan.

Enjoy the echo chamber.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,708 ✭✭✭Infoanon

elperello wrote: »
    I heard all the MM interview and after that bits here and there.

I thought CB did well, all thing considered ,for a first show.

Very much in at the deep end, imagine, first interview the Taoiseach in the middle of a crisis.

That's not being put in at the deep end - CB has plenty of experience on the radio and was given the plum interview with MM at a time the government is in meltdown and MM is all over the place with his answers .

CB blew a golden opportunity - or another way of looking from my point of view is that CB confirmed my concerns about her getting this gig.
    I didn’t think CB was great on Saturdays at 1 and too often missed golden opportunities a la today's performance.

Infoanon wrote: »
    That's not being put in at the deep end - CB has plenty of experience on the radio and was given the plum interview with MM at a time the government is in meltdown and MM is all over the place with his answers .

CB blew a golden opportunity - or another way of looking from my point of view is that CB confirmed my concerns about her getting this gig.
    I didn’t think CB was great on Saturdays at 1 and too often missed golden opportunities a la today's performance.

Deep end in the context of starting a new gig with a really big interview.

Of course as you say she is experienced but even someone with her experience must be a bit daunted taking over such a big show.

I don't think she blew it at all.

Too soon to make a definitive judgement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,708 ✭✭✭Infoanon

Golden opportunities like today don't come along very often - though nothing would surprise me in the current climate - but I do agree that today was the first show and perhaps see how the week goes .

Infoanon wrote: »
    Golden opportunities like today don't come along very often - though nothing would surprise me in the current climate - but I do agree that today was the first show and perhaps see how the week goes .

We certainly live in interesting times.

She will have plenty of opportunity to prove her mettle in the coming days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Will Yam

KevRossi wrote: »
    I don't think Claire Byrne is anywhere as insistent as Sarah McInerney, she would have pushed harder for his response on Hogan resigning.

I still think she relies too much on asking prepared questions off her cards and isn't always the best at going off on a tangent when throwing a bit of a juicy bone.

I think it was sponsored by FF, but could be wrong on that.

I think she was truly awful.

I don’t like McInereny but she does a far better show. The difference between her and Byrne is that she listens to her interviewees. She lets them talk.

Byrne doesn’t listen, interrupts and doesn’t allow her interviewees to make their point.

I thought Clare Byrne live was on tonight and was looking for a painted wall to watch it drying. But it’s Daithi and 10 years of roses, so I don’t care if the wall is painted or not - anything would be better than daithi and his roses

pc7 wrote: »
    I didn’t enjoy the show at all, found her voice very monotonous and I was tuning out. First day so will give her a chance, will be back to Pat tomorrow and will podcast her show.

As for Mehole, my god he is a brutal speaker, so, so bad. You’d think he’d have a few set answers ready even. He had a shocker, doesn’t bode well.

The problem now is that the morning choice is between Pat “I know everything and by God I’ll let you know it” Kenny, and Clare “I’m rather vacant” Byrne.

Think it’s time to switch over to Times radio from uk

• Registered Users Posts: 5,472 ✭✭✭brooke 2

To coin a phrase...

:pac::pac: Bring back Sarah! :pac:

Will Yam wrote: »
    The problem now is that the morning choice is between Pat “I know everything and by God I’ll let you know it” Kenny, and Clare “I’m rather vacant” Byrne.

Think it’s time to switch over to Times radio from uk

While there are some good alternatives outside Ireland they are not as available as Irish stations once you move away from broadband.

Also of course they won't cover Irish news and current affairs.

• Advertisement

duffman13 wrote: »
    Tends to stick to a question pack, not as natural as Pat at diving on a tangent on slip ups

Except Pat would spend god knows how long telling us how much he knows about the subject matter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭roshje

Was the weekend sports review on today? Usually tune in around 11.40 but didn't hear it. Did I miss it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,424 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

roshje wrote: »
    Was the weekend sports review on today? Usually tune in around 11.40 but didn't hear it. Did I miss it?

Wasn't in podcast feed so I assume not. Interview with taoiseach took a good chunk of time, so may have got pushed. Hope they keep the segment though, its a nice little roundup for a Monday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭limnam

elperello wrote: »
    Deep end in the context of starting a new gig with a really big interview.

Of course as you say she is experienced but even someone with her experience must be a bit daunted taking over such a big show.

I don't think she blew it at all.

Too soon to make a definitive judgement.

Thought she sailed through it without a blip.

I think it might be what the college radio fans are missing. Professionals get it done without fan fair. You hardly notice it.

I've never really heard RTE sound cheap and unprofessional before Sarah Mc. It had a spin 103 feel to the show. Awful stuff.

Pretty much anyone can do what Sarah Mc can do. I'd have a go at that myself. Very few can do what CB can do.

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭Abel Ruiz

limnam wrote: »

I've never really heard RTE sound cheap and unprofessional before Sarah Mc. It had a spin 103 feel to the show. Awful stuff.

Jaysus

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭john123470

Thought she sailed through it without a blip ...

Pretty much anyone can do what Sarah Mc can do. I'd have a go at that myself.

= Is the why we end up wth the likes of CB, da D'Arse'y, Duffy, Kathryn Turnip, Turbidy. All of em 'havin a go'.
    Nothing left on RTE radio for me now but the weather forecast and thats Fun just to hear em get it wrong

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,842 ✭✭✭s8n

Pretty much anyone can do what Sarah Mc can do. I'd have a go at that myself. Very few can do what CB can do.

This is hilarious.

This forum is a great laugh

john123470 wrote: »
    = Is the why we end up wth the likes of CB, da D'Arse'y, Duffy, Kathryn Turnip, Turbidy. All of em 'havin a go'.
    Nothing left on RTE radio for me now but the weather forecast and thats Fun just to hear em get it wrong

I think you missed the point.

Getting all uppity and starting a childish spat on radio with some of the most incompetent politicians known to man. Is easy enough. You could pull someone from a pub to do it. That's what Sarah Mc does. It's unprofessional. It's child like. Anyone could do it.

Flowing through a show with professionalism and delivering a silky, mistake free few hours is extremely difficult.

That's the difference between someone like CB and the completely unsuitable for a "grown up" show Sarah Mc.

Just read the twitter reactions.

The lowest common denominator of Irish society bulling because there's not an angry bumbling idiot interrupting MM.

These are not radio fans. If you want to listen to that sort of rubbish go to the pub and listen to the arm chair experts talking over each other.

That's not what radio is about.

I think you missed the point.

Getting all uppity and starting a childish spat on radio with some of the most incompetent politicians known to man. Is easy enough. You could pull someone from a pub to do it. That's what Sarah Mc does. It's unprofessional. It's child like. Anyone could do it.

Flowing through a show with professionalism and delivering a silky, mistake free few hours is extremely difficult.

That's the difference between someone like CB and the completely unsuitable for a "grown up" show Sarah Mc.

Just read the twitter reactions.

The lowest common denominator of Irish society bulling because there's not an angry bumbling idiot interrupting MM.

These are not radio fans. If you want to listen to that sort of rubbish go to the pub and listen to the arm chair experts talking over each other.

That's not what radio is about.

Words fail me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,532 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Words fail me
    I think that's what the ignore button is for, tbh.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭Mav11

Thought she sailed through it without a blip.

I think it might be what the college radio fans are missing. Professionals get it done without fan fair. You hardly notice it.

I thought the Sarah Mc thread had closed? You really need to leave it go.

• Advertisement

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    I think that's what the ignore button is for, tbh.....

Yeah, but......................................! Think of what you'd miss:)

Mav11 wrote: »
    I thought the Sarah Mc thread had closed? You really need to leave it go.

Happy to, I was replying to all the other posters discussing her :)

Happy to, I was replying to all the other posters discussing her :)

And as for college radio......................

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭franglan

Who's this bollocks - didn't drink and drive because she was a judge. Yeah I'm not a judge and don't drink and drive fam - your occupation shouldn't come into your ~judgement.

Maybe I'm wrong but the format of the show seems to be switching to that of light magazine rather that cutting edge current affairs. Discuss!!

Maybe I'm wrong but the format of the show seems to be switching to that of light magazine rather that cutting edge current affairs. Discuss!!
    Can you say that 15 minutes into day 2??

franglan wrote: »
    Who's this bollocks - didn't drink and drive because she was a judge. Yeah I'm not a judge and don't drink and drive fam - your occupation shouldn't come into your ~judgement.

We're talking about someone who would have started drinking in the late 1930's

Can you say that 15 minutes into day 2??

I said maybe I'm wrong:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,851 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

This wan is a bit scatty

Who’s idea was it to get her on

I said maybe I'm wrong:)
    Maybe you are, maybe you're not, I just think it's far too early to even try to judge!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

don't think anybody over 80 should be on the radio

Maybe you are, maybe you're not, I just think it's far too early to even try to judge!
    True, but can it not be discussed?

don't think anybody over 80 should be on the radio
    Ah here!

Gillian Hussey was an absolute legend of a DJ, I'd always have time for her. Never did anyone tell it like it is quite like her!

True, but can it not be discussed?
    evidence?

evidence?

Discussion not empiricism.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

Jaysus, it's hard enough to listen to SR without having to put up with a cr4p line as well

Discussion not empiricism.
    examples?

examples?

Of?

• Site Banned Posts: 280 ✭✭CertifiedSimp

This wan is a bit scatty

Who’s idea was it to get her on

"So what do you think of that?"

"....................................................well.....I can only speak from mine......I wouldn't have gone"

• Advertisement

Will Yam wrote: »
    Except Pat would spend god knows how long telling us how much he knows about the subject matter.

Happened again today.
    He puts a question and asks the questionee -is theanswer a, b, c or d ? The answer was literally -All of the above!

This is a most annoying feature of all interviewers. -that they use this multiple choice format. A good producer would stamp this out . Ask an open question and let the expert responder select the answer applying their own emphasis and priority.

Advertisement