Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liveline: Live & Let Dial

Comments

The Joe Duffy-like figure there had his arms folded defiantly like Duffy does do be doing... but I think that's coincidence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

sligojoek wrote: »
    Pootering around on youtube and looked into this guys channel. H has loads of old TV recordings. I clicked on one featuring ads from the time my first daughter was born. Great ad for the TV licence at the end. It's fast moving so be prepared to pause and play a lot. Many faces from the past and present. No Joe but there's a fresh looking Fungus and Ray Darcy with hair.

Joe would have just started as the stand in for marian Finucane and a reporter on the gay byrne show, might even be presenting that show 2 days a week.

Hmm that's interesting. It's not on the version that was uploaded to the RTE Radio player. Human error or local protest?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

Right up Joe's street, wonder will he be attending

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Something strange going on with PMs - I know a few of you have PM’ed me in the last few days as I have email notifications for same but when I go to my PMs there are no messages......anyone else having this issue? Or have I been hacked by NK?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

Something strange going on with PMs - I know a few of you have PM’ed me in the last few days as I have email notifications for same but when I go to my PMs there are no messages......anyone else having this issue? Or have I been hacked by NK?

Is your inbox full?

Is your inbox full?

No caller, not at all!I wouldn’t receive notifications if it was.....and people sending me messages would be told my (ahem) box is full....

Right up Joe's street, wonder will he be attending

De jag will be speeding wesht on an essential research journey.

Sorry caller, I'll restore your inbox shortly... just honing my hacking skills so to speak.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,010 ✭✭✭DoctorEdgeWild

Listening back to Friday's show, absolutely mental holy Joe batsh1t Lahvlahn. Loving it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,114 ✭✭✭Mena Mitty

No caller you need to go less mainstream so to speak....

I knew dat, I knew dat, I knew dat !

Joe must be "owed" an immense amount of holidays. When things "resume to/towards normal" whereby he is allowed a meaningful escape or two or three or four, he is going to be missing months on end... possibly edging towards retirement, so to speak... ending with an "occasional" guest appearance.

Joe must be "owed" an immense amount of holidays. When things "resume to/towards normal" whereby he is allowed a meaningful escape or two or three or four, he is going to be missing months on end... possibly edging towards retirement, so to speak... ending with an "occasional" guest appearance.

He’s not retiring anything soon. And neither would you for €400,000 for just over 200 hours “work” a year. 5 weeks for the rest of us.

He’s not retiring anything soon. And neither would you for €400,000 for just over 200 hours “work” a year. 5 weeks for the rest of us.
    It's not up to him, though. They could get rid of Duffy on Monday morning, pending any contractual notice, and start afresh. I suspect they know, as well as we all know, that Joe Duffy is a near-indespensible asset to RTÉ. If anyone dreaded Joe Duffy's 65th birthday more than the man himself, it was RTÉ management.

The graveyards are full of people who were once called 'irreplaceable', but in Duffy's case, there is some truth to it.

It's not up to him, though. They could get rid of Duffy on Monday morning, pending any contractual notice, and start afresh. I suspect they know, as well as we all know, that Joe Duffy is a near-indespensible asset to RTÉ. If anyone dreaded Joe Duffy's 65th birthday more than the man himself, it was RTÉ management.

The graveyards are full of people who were once called 'irreplaceable', but in Duffy's case, there is some truth to it.

I disagree.

It’s the perception; but it was thus with Pat Kenny too. The panic in RTÉ when he jumped to Newstalk was palpable.

And yet his replacement not only held the existing listenership, he grew it. The Liveline audience does not die when Herr Duffy goes on one of his many holidays.

Duffy is completely replaceable. But it would take a strong leader to do so - that is certainly not Dee 4bes.

I disagree.

It’s the perception; but it was thus with Pat Kenny too. The panic in RTÉ when he jumped to Newstalk was palpable.

And yet his replacement not only held the existing listenership, he grew it.
    It would be very interesting to chart the growth of Seán O'Rourke's programme as against Pat Kenny's numbers, and set this against a general growth in increasing radio listenership. That's a little by-the-way. The JNLR figures are hard to come by, probably deliberately so.

Going back to Joe Duffy, as much as I dislike his broadcasting style, I think we are in a minority. He presents one of the most popular programmes on radio, and it's difficult to believe he would be easily replaced — even if only for the car-crash value. How many of us would tune into PBH to hear him make a hames of absolutely everything? It just wouldn't have the same entertainment value.

There's only one Joe Duffy. They threw away the mould.

I find a lot these days that he he has changed his tack to target "Young people". He, and RTE know well that a lot of his followers over the last 20 years are dying off or switching off. I only listen to random bits myself nowadays.

There's only one Joe Duffy. They threw away the mould.

I find a lot these days that he he has changed his tack to target "Young people". He, and RTE know well that a lot of his followers over the last 20 years are dying off or switching off. I only listen to random bits myself nowadays.

“Oh fo sho” as the young people say. It explains the laughable attempts at wokeness and trying to be politically correct, which in themselves provide unintentional comedy when Joe in attempts to bend over backwards to be #woke demonstrates that he hasn’t a clue what it actually means (the lack of understanding of that “having a canary” comment or the “checking” of a caller for correctly identifying a parrot as an African parrot). Even the recent usage of the words “check” and “checking” are examples of Joe trying to appear woke.

Then we have attempts to be “down with the kids” by repeated alignment with a young and trendy uber-woke “good egg”......that worked out well didn’t it?

But it’s all thrown out the window when FunnyFryday comes around and we see his true colours with racist and sexist jokes and impressions, and “comedy” that is incredibly out-dated and not exactly in keeping with current norms. But this racism and sexism are defended under the canopy of “shure we’re all just having a laugh”, demonstrating an ignorance and a lack of understanding that are at the core of the problem (and the man himself).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,063 ✭✭✭✭zell12

RTE staffers threatening to go on strike if job losses follow their rejection of pay cuts
    One can only hope!!

giphy.gif?cid=5e214886e7b9013e7a56af933dbe7487383472cddb58c82a&rid=giphy.gif&ct=g

At the end of his time
    It shall be known
    By the salty shore of Clontarf
    That he, Joe Duffy
    did the State Broadcaster
    Some Service.
    Let no man deny it.
    And here upon the plinth
    Shall no man daub
    Paint cheap & crimson
    Lest the blood of
    License-payers flow
    Into the brine beyond.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,666 ✭✭✭thecretinhop

https://www.irishmirror.ie/news/irish-news/irish-granny-86-still-waiting-23934579

pedo gets jab granny doesn't epic joe be all over dis

https://www.irishmirror.ie/news/irish-news/irish-granny-86-still-waiting-23934579

pedo gets jab granny doesn't epic joe be all over dis

To do with much better database resource in prisons than in general population, where GPS can be very hit and miss. I'm guessing if my practice is anything to go by, some seriously inept staff will be doing the admin at times. Their grasp of technology isn't good to say the least, but I'd say their pay isn't commensurate with efficiency.

Knowing Joe's kinship with prisons an dat, this will surely be on the week's agenda.

giphy.gif?cid=5e214886e7b9013e7a56af933dbe7487383472cddb58c82a&rid=giphy.gif&ct=g

At the end of his time
    It shall be known
    By the salty shore of Clontarf
    That he, Joe Duffy
    did the State Broadcaster
    Some Service.
    Let no man deny it.
    And here upon the plinth
    Shall no man daub
    Paint cheap & crimson
    Lest the blood of
    License-payers flow
    Into the brine beyond.

I prefer dis wan so to speak:

His name was Joe Duffy,
    His mouth he did stuffy,
    Like a pig at de trough,
    Produced by S. Hough,
    Went to Trin-it-tee,
    Tax avoidance on fees,
    His accent was rough,
    Gave plenty of auld guff,
    Was a first class chancer,
    Loved de death and de cancer,
    Column in a foreign rag,
    Heated seats in de jag,
    Not fond of de heckles,
    Do anything for sheckles,
    Ego as big as a cathedral,
    Fake man of de peeple,
    Rotund with wide girth,
    Fake salt a de irth,
    In the NK clique,
    So to speak, so to speak.

giphy.gif

His name was Joe Duffy,
    His mouth he did stuffy,
    Like a pig at de trough,
    Produced by S. Hough,
    Went to Trin-it-tee,
    Tax avoidance on fees,
    His accent was rough,
    Column in a foreign rag,
    Heated seats in de jag,
    Not fond of de heckles,
    Fake man of de peeple,
    Rotund with wide girth,
    Fake salt a de irth,
    In the NK clique,

giphy.gif

Dat does indeed bear a likeness to Mr Humility himself :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,929 ✭✭✭✭Dan Jaman

His name was Joe Duffy,
    His mouth he did stuffy,
    Like a pig at de trough,
    Produced by S. Hough,
    Went to Trin-it-tee,
    Tax avoidance on fees,
    His accent was rough,
    Column in a foreign rag,
    Heated seats in de jag,
    Not fond of de heckles,
    Fake man of de peeple,
    Rotund with wide girth,
    Fake salt a de irth,
    In the NK clique,

We can only hope Joe doesn't run into Diamond Tony.
    Вашему собственному бычьему дерьму нельзя верить - V Putin

Dan Jaman wrote: »
    We can only hope Joe doesn't run into Diamond Tony.

I think it’s safe to say he doesn’t “run” anywhere.

Don't know if I can be in today. Waiting for delivery of a coffee table, which is delaying me seeking care for cardiac symptoms which awoke me sharply from sleep at 4am. Ye will probably get Gold which I will miss out on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,988 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

Don't know if I can be in today. Waiting for delivery of a coffee table, which is delaying me seeking care for cardiac symptoms which awoke me sharply from sleep at 4am. Ye will probably get Gold which I will miss out on.

would da cardiac symptoms take priority over da coffee table (unless it's a very fancy table of course)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,247 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

What colours was the symptoms, caller?

• Advertisement

“tie stores”

• Registered Users Posts: 8,530 ✭✭✭PieOhMy

I don't know why the small clothes stores and florists aren't picketing the doors of the supermarkets. I would. You have to look after yourself. Demanding fair play is as useful as whistling in the wind.

Judging by the topics today’s show is literally the definition of a slow news day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

Security is being stepped up in the Áras. Mikey D is in imminent danger of kidnapping ;)

A plug for the comedy of friend of the show and Joe’s fellow tax avoider so to speak Brindin O’Caddle.

2 topics of muggings and booogluuaries today. Stand by for 75mins of dancing around the obvious fact that scumbags operate with impunity now in this state. Joe will continue the facade of being confused as to why the scumbags rob these things and implying that the must be confused in some way and thought that because the garden furniture was left outside that it was free to collect or something.

The above is clearly a joke but he has actually implied that before.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,247 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

What hath thine bard of Ballyer to lavish or scorn;
    On today's show to air on a Monday after morn?

• Be thine the big retailers, selling their soul out with toys and rugs and skirts both right and wrong.
    • Cry foul, says the smaller shop man. This trade's unfair; it surely must pong.

• E-Scooter robbing, it's one hell of a quare palaver;
    • The thieves wore a knitted mask and a balaclava.

• Furnitures and gnomes, they too have a been thief-a;
    • The Suez canal is suspected; did you see an Arab Giza?

• Frank of Ireland is a new sit com; as fun as Agne's Boys;
    • Father Ted and Funny Friday, it brought our host much Joy.

6e12631f186730af827fbc484ae2b503.jpeg

Verily, be there after the end of thy Town Crier, Dobbo.
    And join in on the callers, be they posh or yobbo.

Day will need lorries for de goods day do be do be do be do be stealin’ in de burger lorries.

PieOhMy wrote: »
    I don't know why the small clothes stores and florists aren't picketing the doors of the supermarkets. I would. You have to look after yourself. Demanding fair play is as useful as whistling in the wind.

just stock a few tins of dog food, essential instantly !!

At this stage other than restaurants/pubs and hotels everything is pretty much working as normal (from what I can see)

If I owned a shop that I wanted to open up again I would find a way. Thou many are happy with the covid payments (you do not see many rural pubs complaining over the last year !!!)

A plug for the comedy of friend of the show and Joe’s fellow tax avoider so to speak Brindin O’Caddle.

dats not a croime caller

Security is being stepped up in the Áras. Mikey D is in imminent danger of kidnapping ;)
    Leprechauns unite and defend!

• Advertisement

2smiggy wrote: »
    dats not a croime caller

The show is a crime against comedy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

What hath thine bard of Ballyer to lavish or scorn;
    On today's show to air on a Monday after morn?

• Be thine the big retailers, selling their soul out with toys and rugs and skirts both right and wrong.
    • Cry foul, says the smaller shop man. This trade's unfair; it surely must pong.

• E-Scooter robbing, it's one hell of a quare palaver;
    • The thieves wore a knitted mask and a balaclava.

• Furnitures and gnomes, they too have a been thief-a;
    • The Suez canal is suspected; did you see an Arab Giza?

• Frank of Ireland is a new sit com; as fun as Agne's Boys;
    • Father Ted and Funny Friday, it brought our host much Joy.

6e12631f186730af827fbc484ae2b503.jpeg

Verily, be there after the end of thy Town Crier, Dobbo.
    And join in on the callers, be they posh or yobbo.

Losty, are you Really Pam Ayers?............speaking of which, I heard on some BBC radio programme over the weekend that in the event of a nuclear attack on GB, that Pam Ayers was designated to be the voice of Britain to make the emergency announcements. I wonder who would be the voice of Ireland in such a situation.
    (Hint: remember storm Ophelia).

Is joe going to do an hour long ad for Frank of Ireland? I watched a few minutes the other night and thought it was awful.
    I assume joe thinks it's great because the Gleeson bros are in it.

I read a review in The Guardian and it only got 2 stars.

Is joe going to do an hour long ad for Frank of Ireland? I watched a few minutes the other night and thought it was awful.

He owes brendan one from the day he came on and passed a full show speaking about the charity he supports ( no issue with that from me) and allowed Joe to chat with him like a taxi driver about absolutely nothing to fill the rest of the show.

Roger_007 wrote: »
    I wonder who would be the voice of Ireland in such a situation.
    (Hint: remember storm Ophelia).
    Nah, too panicked. It must be guy who used to say "Stand Clear. Luggage doors operatin'" on Bus Eireann: calm, but firm.

Any of Joe’s pals could literally make a show about watching paint dry and Joe would say it’s the best thing ever.

This also applies to people who he thinks he is pals with or would like to me pals with btw.

Don’t forget if you don’t like Mrs. Browinz Boyiz you’re a snob, according to Joe.

Second bad line on the news at one! Doesn't bode well!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,741 ✭✭✭withless

Helicopters on Maaaaars Joe, an absolute disgrace so it is.

Joe reading at 13:45

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement