Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BBC Radio Megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭twinklerunner

I listen to it all the time. I like how it pauses a programme and restarts, for example if a telephone call comes through while I’m listening.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭mrunsure

Are there any surveys that measure how many people in Ireland listen to BBC radio, or any British radio for that matter?

mrunsure wrote: »
    Are there any surveys that measure how many people in Ireland listen to BBC radio, or any British radio for that matter?

I doubt it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭RINO87

Very, very late in the game, but an episode of "Brexitcast" came on BBC Alba last night after shutdown so I listened. Content and presenters were very good - should have begun listening to it a long time ago.
    Tony Blair was a guest at one point and the presenters treated him as an average guest that just happened to have some experience in this area due to their work - none of the fawning over ex taoisaigh that presenters go on with here when talking to Bertie and John Bruton on these matters.

What I also found interesting was that they seemed to trust Tony Connelly whenever he broke a story, without question. He has had some great exclusives for RTE and its good to see his reputation respected by the BBC - being a good journalist and protecting your source pays off!

Tony Connelly is intertviewed on The World Tonight on R4 regularly. I can see the BBC offering him a job. He's also from NI so I'm sure that makes him even more attractive to them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

ISIHAC is back with the final Tim Brook Taylor editions - first was on Monday 6.30 and so is the next :)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,676 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

https://www.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/medipacks/archers-70th-anniversary

On 1 January 2021 episode number 19,343 of The Archers on BBC Radio 4 will mark 70 years of the world’s longest running serial drama.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,622 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

I’ve been just going back through the thread to see how my opinions or listening habits for the beeb have changed and bar rhod sharp retiring I’ve still kept up my regular presenters. Btw Dotun Adebayo is just superb at up all night and a worthy successor to the great rhod sharp.

I’ve found myself listening to a bit more radio 1 over the last year and in particular Greg James in the morning, not because I’m necessarily in the target audience but because I just think Greg James is just really good. Nothing against nick grimshaw but as the late great Larry gogan used to say the radio 1 breakfast show didn’t suit him.

I’ve think I’ve ventured to every part of the manor as I were bar 6music. I don’t think I’ve ever listened to it. Not out of any dislike but just a quick read of the wiki entry for it and it seems I may like it.

Anyway, given the situation with the country I’m seriously considering not turning the TV on and just listening to the radio.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/medipacks/archers-70th-anniversary

On 1 January 2021 episode number 19,343 of The Archers on BBC Radio 4 will mark 70 years of the world’s longest running serial drama.

I love R4, but never listen to The Archers.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,730 ✭✭✭TheHomeService

I love R4, but never listen to The Archers.

I love BBC Radio. In many ways, it's the last remaining jewel in the UK crown. Until Johnson gets his way and destroys it, sadly.

I've been listening to The Archers since around 1982. One of the best things about radio drama is that they can have really long running storylines, that don't need to be rushed for dramatic effect.

For example, The Archers treated subjects such as Dementia, Coercive Control, and recently Modern Slavery in "real time", rather than condensed into a month or two.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45 Captain Lugger

I'm an inveterate Radio 3 listener. The BBC Sounds app is good on the podcasting side, but the old iPlayer Radio app was far and away superior when it came to chasing down what was being played on a particular programme.

Does anyone else listen to BBC Radio 4 on LW? I dunno if it's a lower output from Droitwich or a disturbed ionosphere but the reception is terrible at night and has been for some time.

Has anyone noticed since the bbc sounds app took over from the iplayer that rights restrictions on sport commentary isn’t as rigid as it used to be ? It’s still there but more often than not it’s not there. A good few Saturdays in the lead up to Christmas I was able to listen to the premier league far more then before. You’d get it on the world service alright before but not on five live. I’m not complaining but it’s weird.

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Has anyone noticed since the bbc sounds app took over from the iplayer that rights restrictions on sport commentary isn’t as rigid as it used to be ? It’s still there but more often than not it’s not there. A good few Saturdays in the lead up to Christmas I was able to listen to the premier league far more then before. You’d get it on the world service alright before but not on five live. I’m not complaining but it’s weird.

I presume that’s because no other broadcasters have Irish rights for these games, eg: Today FM no longer has live commentaries.

Does anyone else listen to BBC Radio 4 on LW? I dunno if it's a lower output from Droitwich or a disturbed ionosphere but the reception is terrible at night and has been for some time.

No, I haven’t listened on LW or MW in years.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,676 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

The BBC have basic advice on reception. What you will probably know already is that reception varies if you move the radio around.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/reception/help-guides/analogue-radio/what-is-a-good-medium-wave-long-wave-installation

What they don't say is that having three transmitters on 198 can be a source of bad reception. The signals can arrive at the radio out of sync and this can cause distortion. More noticeable after dark, when signals travel further than daylight.

http://www.mwlist.org/mwlist_quick_and_easy.php?area=1&kHz=198

For other UK stations on Medium Wave e.g 5 Live and talkSPORT, this is far worse. There are transmitter sites all round the four nations on 909, 1089 etc. Causes an awful racket after dark, but of course nobody in Ireland is in the intended service area.

Depending on where you are you might get better Radio 4 reception on 720 Medium Wave (Belfast), or 774 (Enniskillen).

I wondered if it was output reduced due to engineering, last week for one night it was as clear as anything on LW after dark can be. Then bang back to distortion general fuzziness.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,353 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

I wondered if it was output reduced due to engineering, last week for one night it was as clear as anything on LW after dark can be. Then bang back to distortion general fuzziness.
    Could be some local interference. Something new perhaps that wasn't active that one night.

756kHz often works here in Cork too depending on what the radio is like. My car (Kia) has excellent reception on MW but unfortunately the radio has a very poor frequency response to the point where MW is difficult to listen to.

That's certainly possible. I need to plug it in around the house thinking about it, see if it's very local!

We'll it's nothing in the house, same level of din front and back. Something local must be running at the "wrong" frequency.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,302 ✭✭✭AllForIt

I have to laugh when I turn into Radio 4 (accidently)

...finishes of an intellectual discussion piece on racism; the show finishes up.....and next week we'll be discussing the effects of racism on the young mind and how it it affect victims of it in later life. (All said in a posh bbc accent). Yeah, you elites brought them here n the first place, why don't you talk about that in your intellectual received English accent. Such weird people.

Can't wait for the next instalment. Not.

• Advertisement

Weird post.

David Bowie all day on BBC 6 Music, 5 years to the day since his passing!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭Pelvis Parsley

Great doc on R4 since 20:00 on that very topic.

Simulcast on 6Music, it was brilliant.

zorro2566 wrote: »
    Simulcast on 6Music, it was brilliant.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m000r8s0

The documentary you were on about as well as 17 other Bowie documentaries from the BBC.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭its_steve116

So what does everyone think of this then? The Beeb is going to start moving some of its radio shows out of London.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/entertainment-arts-56433109
    This includes Radio 3 and 6Music moving to Salford.

So what does everyone think of this then? The Beeb is going to start moving some of its radio shows out of London.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/entertainment-arts-56433109
    This includes Radio 3 and 6Music moving to Salford.
    It's all very northern powerhouse. Difficult not to see it as a favour to the tories. Big focus seems to be in areas that are increasingly conservative/ hardline Brexit.

Here's an excellently written and produced podcast series on the Northern Bank robbery, written and produced by Glenn Patterson

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m000tsjy

Best place to listen to it is on the player. Episodes are no longer than a quarter-hour.

It has a very unusual style. The writer personally narrates the story of the scheme, and the court testimonies of the witnesses is used to construct the script, without recreating the courtroom — the testimony is purely narrative.
    Then it does something very unusual — in some clips, the actors (all from Northern Ireland) go out of character and recall their memory of the robbery as members of the public/children.

It sounds messy. It isn't, it's one of the most compelling radio documentaries I've heard.

The story of the northern bank robbery is such a remarkable one, you'd have to exert yourself to make it boring. But this is what a Netflix radio podcast would probably sound like.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,639 ✭✭✭corks finest

Here's an excellently written and produced podcast series on the Northern Bank robbery, written and produced by Glenn Patterson

Best place to listen to it is on the player. Episodes are no longer than a quarter-hour.

It has a very unusual style. The writer personally narrates the story of the scheme, and the court testimonies of the witnesses is used to construct the script, without recreating the courtroom — the testimony is purely narrative.
    Then it does something very unusual — in some clips, the actors (all from Northern Ireland) go out of character and recall their memory of the robbery as members of the public/children.

It sounds messy. It isn't, it's one of the most compelling radio documentaries I've heard.

The story of the northern bank robbery is such a remarkable one, you'd have to exert yourself to make it boring. But this is what a Netflix radio podcast would probably sound like.

Great find thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,639 ✭✭✭corks finest

Great find thanks

Advertisement