Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The shops then before the shops now thread-Nationwide!

2»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 809 ✭✭✭frankosw

Must be quite an eclectic mix of characters there:D

Yep..like me..bald and old former punk rockers,cureheads and goths lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

Hickey's Pharmacy, beside Burger King, O'Connell Street. 'FM'. A bit of a meeting point shop. My early perving, I was a kid at the time, I had a 'thing' for female skinheads and punks..

Not sure if the branch on Westmoreland Street was as a result of moving or if it existed at the same time. Totally different character though.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 809 ✭✭✭frankosw

Amalgam wrote: »
    Hickey's Pharmacy, beside Burger King, O'Connell Street. 'FM'. A bit of a meeting point shop. My early perving, I was a kid at the time, I had a 'thing' for female skinheads and punks..

Not sure if the branch on Westmoreland Street was as a result of moving or if it existed at the same time. Totally different character though.

Wasnt the one on westmoreland st called "sounds around"?

As i recall it had a downstairs section that sold badges,studs,sew-on patches and other punf rock merchandise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,548 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Sounds Around is a DJ equipment shop on Capel St. and has been for as long as I can remember. Could have been the same name elsewhere though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 740 ✭✭✭steveone

yep FM in westmoreland street, similar to asha now in stephens green, t shirts etc...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Golden Discs next door- it was unusual in that it was spread over two shops, either side of the small shopping Arcade:
    Photo from 1986-

brown-thomas-2.jpg

Wow, had totally forgotten about that!!! Was so unusual to me as a kid. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

D-FENS wrote: »
    Wasn’t Supermac’s in O’Connell street once a KFC and before that Dunkin Donuts?..

KFC on O'Connell street was where Schuh is now. After that it was a pound shop. I remember walking past that place when shcuh was being put in. The from kfc were still on the walls, looking spotless. I was convinced kfc were opening a store there. Somehow the crappy wood panels from the pound shop kept all the dirt off those mirrors.
    Dunkin Donuts was much closer to O'Connell bridge but on the same side. I remember passing it in the bus one day. You could see the counter from the bus. Someone grabbing a bag from a girl and the till and running out.
    Wasn't there a king burger next to a mcdonalds on the moore street entrance to the ilac. That where I remember it at least.
    Then there was all the market ladies selling shoes out of little units at the back of the ilac on the parnell street side.

I remember the big peats on parnell was a huge place. Amazed that there was some kind of a restaurant upstairs of where Burger King is on the top of Grafton Street. As someone who used to work there the upstairs is really hodge podge and not particularly big.

Just remembered the abrakebabra on westmorland street where centra is now. That place was tiny at least the ground floor. The kitchen as about as big as a portaloo.
    Right next door just on the quays were the offices of FM104.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭chopper6

Beshoffs westmoreland st used to be Apollo 1 discount store.

Here's one on moore st

https://twitter.com/OldDublinTown/status/412743284155371520

• Advertisement

chopper6 wrote: »
    Beshoffs westmoreland st used to be Apollo 1 discount store.

Here's one on moore st

https://twitter.com/OldDublinTown/status/412743284155371520

I remember that Apollo 1 alright. Beshoffs on westmorland became abrakebabra right which is now a kfc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭stinkle

Apollo 1! ah the memories! I remember King Burger was where mcDonalds in the Ilac Centre is now - at the Parnell St entrance. I loved the grub there

I remember that Apollo 1 alright. Beshoffs on westmorland became abrakebabra right which is now a kfc.

Nope...Where beshoffs used to be is now Supermacs.
    Abrakebabra was where the centra on the corner is now.

The KFC is where Superburger used to be and before that it was Wendy's.

I already mentioned abrakebabra being right at O'Connell bridge. Can't remember when the fire was in beshoffs, tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,548 ✭✭✭✭L1011

There was an Abra where KFC is much more recently though, up till maybe 18 months ago.

MYOB wrote: »
    There was an Abra where KFC is much more recently though, up till maybe 18 months ago.

Exactly

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,387 ✭✭✭eisenberg1

steveone wrote: »
    where was charlies bar?
    It was on Aungier Street. I think it and the building it used to be may be gone

Do you remember "Good Time Charlies" on O'Connell St, near The Royal Dublin hotel?

eisenberg1 wrote: »
    Do you remember "Good Time Charlies" on O'Connell St, near The Royal Dublin hotel?

A friend of mine was a barman there..it was a bucket of blood by all acconts.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,387 ✭✭✭eisenberg1

A friend of mine was a barman there..it was a bucket of blood by all acconts.

I was never actually in it, just vague recollection of passing by. Older brother went and yes, by all accounts a bit on the rough side.

eisenberg1 wrote: »
    I was never actually in it, just vague recollection of passing by. Older brother went and yes, by all accounts a bit on the rough side.

It was owned by an egyptian bloke who also ran three or four "nightclubs" on leeson st.

He was notoriously scabby..the back office had a sign up saying "1 glass=20 pence".

A rule of thumb with establishments is that if the owner is an asshole,the doormen and barmen will also be assholes...when you pack hundreds of teenagers and lunatics into an environment like this there will be trouble.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

Anyone remember Dixons in Dun Laoire...used to love that shop..they had model trains (Lima) out the back when every other toy store (my favorite Terry's Georges st dublin) were selling Hornby....its a book shop now...nice to see it still open, when the place is turning into a goast town...and people used to slag off Holyhead...:rolleyes:
    Also Murdocks builders providers..became Iceland...not sure whats there now...Apartments...???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 AlanFLynch

I worked in Apollo 1, Westmoreland Street in 1988. It was located on the corner of Fleet Street (where 'Chopped' is now).

Although they paid minimum wage, the staff were all salt-of-the-earth Dubs, and it was a nice place to work. My abiding memories are: the smell of L'Oreal Studio Line gel; girls swooning over postcards of Patrick Swayze; young male staff debating over the Tiffany and Debbie Gibson postcards as to who they'd date first; selling Swatch watches; and shunting what seemed like a million boxes of Cadbury's selection boxes to the fourth floor before Christmas.

Back then, the only foreigners in our shop were tourists. It was a world away from the Dublin of today...but sometimes I wish I could go back there.

Advertisement