Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The shops then before the shops now thread-Nationwide!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭The Royal Scam

steveone wrote: »
    dempseys music salon eh.on the top of capel street /parnell street junction is now.....gone? he was great for parts and bits of stuff I was (or more often than not- wasn't) looking for.

what was doctor quirkeys... is it still there or is there still a big hole?

dempseys.jpg

i bought my first guitar here. I have yet to meet a man that smells more of onions than this man... I remember him looking a lot like David Kelly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,711 ✭✭✭C.K Dexter Haven

frankosw wrote: »
    Pretty sure it was also a Wimpy,Burgerland,Old Kentucky,King Burger and Pat Grace's Famous Chicken.

Wasn't BurgerLand with the arched window on the 1st floor?

Here's a photo of the place I'm thinking of:

OConnllStreet1961-CharlesWCushman1.jpg
    I think your right on the others but nearly sure Burgerland was in the premises with the arch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 740 ✭✭✭steveone

hey royal scam thats a great pic thanks!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 809 ✭✭✭frankosw

Burger king at the top of grafton st used to be a first floor restaurant with a balcony called the Pavillion...this is early 1980's.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭gipi

Wasn't BurgerLand with the arched window on the 1st floor?

Here's a photo of the place I'm thinking of:

OConnllStreet1961-CharlesWCushman1.jpg
    I think your right on the others but nearly sure Burgerland was in the premises with the arch.

The premises with the arched window was the Sunflower Restaurant at one stage, one of the first Chinese Restaurants in the city (it was there in the 70s).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Speedsie
    ¡arriba, arriba! ¡andale, andale!

gipi wrote: »
    The premises with the arched window was the Sunflower Restaurant at one stage, one of the first Chinese Restaurants in the city (it was there in the 70s).

And before that it was the Rainbow Cafe....

And on Grafton St, the Cartoon Cinema (which showed cartoons & newsreels...) is now Karen Millen

A great site below- captures the first pizza restaurants in Dublin through the years: includes Pizzaland in Grafton st. There was another outlet in O'connell st- opened 1976.

http://comeheretome.com/2013/01/14/dublins-first-pizzerias/

Nice photo here of Grafton St, maybe late 70s or v early 80s- Switzer's can be seen, as can RTV (Radio TV rentals?)

Can you spot the Hare Krishna in full-on conversation? :D

4628971241_b2b7b49b4e.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭LiamMc

How late was Grafton Street pedestrianised was it as late as the early 1980's?

LiamMc wrote: »
    How late was Grafton Street pedestrianised was it as late as the early 1980's?

It was pedestrianised in the early 80s, the exact year escapes me- it was paved by the mid 1980s.

It was pedestrianised in the early 80s, the exact year escapes me- it was paved by the mid 1980s.

It wasnt quite finished untill around 87 as i recall..one St patricks day a pitched battle between skinheads and mods resulted in piles of paving stones being used as missiles.

• Advertisement

It wasnt quite finished untill around 87 as i recall..one St patricks day a pitched battle between skinheads and mods resulted in piles of paving stones being used as missiles.

I've faint memory of that- thanks for the reminder.:)

Here's Brown Thomas on the correct side of the street- Golden Discs next door- it was unusual in that it was spread over two shops, either side of the small shopping Arcade:
    Photo from 1986-

brown-thomas-2.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Anyone here remember a charcoal black Lotus on display in Switzers for a short while in the early 80's. Think it was part of some competition?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭CuppaCocoa

'Bartley Dunnes' where 'Break for the Border' is now. First gay pub I ever drank in. Very flamboyant clientele!

http://wheresgrandad.files.wordpress.com/2012/08/cure-5.jpg

'Bartley Dunnes' where 'Break for the Border' is now. First gay pub I ever drank in. Very flamboyant clientele!

http://wheresgrandad.files.wordpress.com/2012/08/cure-5.jpg

Goths and Cure Heads were the norm also there. The trendies and rugger-buggers drank across the road in the William Tell Tavern.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

pull and bear on henry street is where our price music shop used to be

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭gipi

As I headed out of Dublin on a bus this evening, I passed the Maldron Hotel on the corner of Granby Row and Dorset St.

Before the hotel was built (it had another name before Maldron), the building that was there housed the National Wax Museum, and before that it was the Plaza Cinerama.

I saw my first cinema film at the Plaza Cinerama, "Thoroughly Modern Millie" (now that makes me feel old!! :D)

where was charlies bar?

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭The Royal Scam

steveone wrote: »
    where was charlies bar?

It was on Aungier Street. I think it and the building it used to be may be gone

Goths and Cure Heads were the norm also there. The trendies and rugger-buggers drank across the road in the William Tell Tavern.

Yep it was a bikers,goths and cure heads hang out after it stopped being a gaybar.

It went to the dogs eventually when it was constantly being raided by the cops because if it's "liberal" policy on drug use :D

There's actually a FB group called Bartlay Dunnes Reunion that host meetups every so often to releive those times.

There's actually a FB group called Bartlay Dunnes Reunion that host meetups every so often to releive those times.

Must be quite an eclectic mix of characters there:D

• Advertisement

Must be quite an eclectic mix of characters there:D

Yep..like me..bald and old former punk rockers,cureheads and goths lol

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

Hickey's Pharmacy, beside Burger King, O'Connell Street. 'FM'. A bit of a meeting point shop. My early perving, I was a kid at the time, I had a 'thing' for female skinheads and punks..

Not sure if the branch on Westmoreland Street was as a result of moving or if it existed at the same time. Totally different character though.

Amalgam wrote: »
    Hickey's Pharmacy, beside Burger King, O'Connell Street. 'FM'. A bit of a meeting point shop. My early perving, I was a kid at the time, I had a 'thing' for female skinheads and punks..

Not sure if the branch on Westmoreland Street was as a result of moving or if it existed at the same time. Totally different character though.

Wasnt the one on westmoreland st called "sounds around"?

As i recall it had a downstairs section that sold badges,studs,sew-on patches and other punf rock merchandise.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Sounds Around is a DJ equipment shop on Capel St. and has been for as long as I can remember. Could have been the same name elsewhere though.

yep FM in westmoreland street, similar to asha now in stephens green, t shirts etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,851 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Golden Discs next door- it was unusual in that it was spread over two shops, either side of the small shopping Arcade:
    Photo from 1986-

brown-thomas-2.jpg

Wow, had totally forgotten about that!!! Was so unusual to me as a kid. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

D-FENS wrote: »
    Wasn’t Supermac’s in O’Connell street once a KFC and before that Dunkin Donuts?..

KFC on O'Connell street was where Schuh is now. After that it was a pound shop. I remember walking past that place when shcuh was being put in. The from kfc were still on the walls, looking spotless. I was convinced kfc were opening a store there. Somehow the crappy wood panels from the pound shop kept all the dirt off those mirrors.
    Dunkin Donuts was much closer to O'Connell bridge but on the same side. I remember passing it in the bus one day. You could see the counter from the bus. Someone grabbing a bag from a girl and the till and running out.
    Wasn't there a king burger next to a mcdonalds on the moore street entrance to the ilac. That where I remember it at least.
    Then there was all the market ladies selling shoes out of little units at the back of the ilac on the parnell street side.

I remember the big peats on parnell was a huge place. Amazed that there was some kind of a restaurant upstairs of where Burger King is on the top of Grafton Street. As someone who used to work there the upstairs is really hodge podge and not particularly big.

Just remembered the abrakebabra on westmorland street where centra is now. That place was tiny at least the ground floor. The kitchen as about as big as a portaloo.
    Right next door just on the quays were the offices of FM104.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭chopper6

Beshoffs westmoreland st used to be Apollo 1 discount store.

Here's one on moore st

https://twitter.com/OldDublinTown/status/412743284155371520

• Advertisement

chopper6 wrote: »
    Beshoffs westmoreland st used to be Apollo 1 discount store.

Here's one on moore st

https://twitter.com/OldDublinTown/status/412743284155371520

I remember that Apollo 1 alright. Beshoffs on westmorland became abrakebabra right which is now a kfc.

Advertisement