Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

boon. - €5 free for signing up

Options
  • 29-03-2016 10:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭

boon. are making available €5 to spend for free when you install their app.
    It allows contactless payment at any terminal supporting Mastercard contactless.

Just install the app, verify your number and your account will be credited with €5 to use anywhere
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=de.wirecard.boon&hl=en

KCEaaGC.png

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭NeverWaining

First 12 months free, 99p per month thereafter.
    Doesn't work on custom roms (Cyanogenmod etc).
    1% (€1 minimum) to top up via credit card. Free bank transfers

Presume it can't be used for purchases of >€30
    What happens if the retailer doesn't have the facility for contactless payments (which is very common)?

Easy to register though and the €5 will make for a free McDonalds meal or whatever.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,410 ✭✭✭Nollog

How easy is it to cancel?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,157 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

Device List here: http://www.boonpayment.com/whitelist.html

Also note this is Wirecard Bank.

/\/ollog wrote: »
    How easy is it to cancel?

http://www.boonpayment.com/faq-web.php
    How can I terminate my boon. account?
    You can terminate your boon. account via mail or email at any time. Please use the service team's contact possibilities for the termination. In order to close your account, please share the following information with us:

Your account number (You will find it in your boon. app under „recharge“, „recharge via bank transfer“)
    The answer to your security question
    Your mobile phone number
    Once terminated, your account cannot be reopened.

As with most other Wirecard products remember, once terminated you can not reopen.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭Niemoj

WireCard are German and all the prices on the site are in € bar the yearly fee which says 99 pence.

Can anyone explain why that is or is it just an error on their behalf?

• Advertisement

On the MasterCrad site for locating places where you can use this they have almost every other country listed -, bar Ireland!

Typical.

Linky.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

So I can just pay for something in a supermarket with this? Handy, I don't want to use a contactless card because they are a security nightmare, but this seems pretty handy!

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭FobleAsNuck

rrrrright. asked today if can pay contactless at local petrol station - the terminal had all the signage - only got a stare from the guy. I guess he'd laugh at me if I asked about paying with my phone :P

I used it to pay for jacks roll in supervalu about an hour ago, so it definitely works!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,601 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

So whats the crack? You can use it with any NFC terminal. If you want to pay you have to open the app and put in a pin right?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭mwrf

errlloyd wrote: »
    So whats the crack? You can use it with any NFC terminal. If you want to pay you have to open the app and put in a pin right?

Yes.

errlloyd wrote: »

exactly. Failed twice and then worked for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭CFC007

Is this only available on android?

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Akula

Other than the free fiver... whats the point of this? Not sure why somebody would use this over a contactless debit card which most people have these days?

Akula wrote: »
    Other than the free fiver... whats the point of this? Not sure why somebody would use this over a contactless debit card which most people have these days?

I would. Contactless cards are a massive security problem. If someone swipes yours they can use it to spend up to €90 per day in transactions of up to €30 per go and the only way to stop them is to close the account as canceling the card doesn't stop Contactless payments from being approved. I cut up my Contactless card and asked for a normal visa debit card when my bank sent it to me for this very reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,410 ✭✭✭Nollog

You can turn nfc on and off on your phone, so most security threats to contactless payments are rendered void.

My LG G3 is running CM so it isn't supported but my Nexus 9 is.

Hmmm. I wonder how big of a wally I'd look paying with a near 23cm tablet!:pac::rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

You can pay for items that cost more than €30 because you authorise payments with a passcode. More useful and secure.

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭Arbie

beno619 wrote: »
    You can pay for items that cost more than €30 because you authorise payments with a passcode. More useful and secure.

Card machines will only present the contactless option if it's e30 or less.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭barry181091

Hmm. If a person had 100 sim cards, they now have 500 euro....interesting....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,763 ✭✭✭DopeTech

Hmm. If a person had 100 sim cards, they now have 500 euro....interesting....

Hmm, would be funny down in power city buying a new TV.

Cashier: That'll be €499.
    Me: Can I split that between cards? i don't have it all on one.
    Cashier: Yes we can do a split payment.
    **Out comes 100 sim cards from my pocket!**

• Registered Users Posts: 9,428 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Eventually got it to work on one of the self service terminals in McDonald's. Said I'd try it cause I could mess around trying to get it to work without being in the way or getting embarrassed, but it actually worked straight away. Not sure I can justify using it in future though as I always have my card on me anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭hognef

Contactless cards are a massive security problem. If someone swipes yours they can use it to spend up to €90 per day in transactions of up to €30 per go and the only way to stop them is to close the account as canceling the card doesn't stop Contactless payments from being approved.

The risk is carried by the bank, as long as long as the cardholder takes reasonable precautions to keep the card safe, and, if applicable, reports it missing without undue delay.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,556 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

So I can just pay for something in a supermarket with this? Handy, I don't want to use a contactless card because they are a security nightmare, but this seems pretty handy!

So you don't trust the security on an encrypted chip card but you trust the security on a third party app that runs on rooted phones?

So you don't trust the security on an encrypted chip card but you trust the security on a third party app that runs on rooted phones?

Yes. For many reasons which I've already listed.

5% cashback is back for this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭Pablo1802

5% cashback is back for this week.

Yes, and €0.99 monthly fee for whoever signed up on this 12 months ago

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭WayneEnterprise

Just a note that you don't get the €5 when you sign up via the iPhone app

• Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭AidenL

I'm having terrible trouble closing down my Boon account - I had a balance on it, didn't use it, their monthly fees ate it up, now I owe then 2.82 - their system wont let me pay it by credit card, keeps crashing and I cant BT it as the value is too small.

They wont close the account until I clear a balance which I cant pay - avoid Boon at all costs is my recommendation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭honda boi

AidenL wrote: »
    I'm having terrible trouble closing down my Boon account - I had a balance on it, didn't use it, their monthly fees ate it up, now I owe then 2.82 - their system wont let me pay it by credit card, keeps crashing and I cant BT it as the value is too small.

They wont close the account until I clear a balance which I cant pay - avoid Boon at all costs is my recommendation.

Ye I got a message about topping up.
    Never used boon bar signing up and getting the €5 credit.
    Can't see them doing anything to ya?

Advertisement