Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid pay and resigning

Options
  • 05-07-2020 2:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 23

I was supposed to return to work this week but not to my original hours. They cut my hours to approx 12-16 a week. Less than half my usual. They are not doing the subsidiary payment option. I have two children and this would not pay the bills. I have no other income or support. Doing grand until this turn od events. So im now looking for new work and turned in my resignation after seven years of service. They didn't request me to work notice. Will i struggle to get the dole now as i left voluntarily even though i had to because the dole was the better option financially ? Ive already had interviews and actively looking for new work. Currently on the PUP covid emergency payment until i get into my local welfare officer Monday after which i assume itll be stopped as my employer insisted he has work for me and would not lay me off. Anyone experienced this situation?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

You should ring someone at the dole office, but this is what citizensinformation says.
    You may not be entitled to JA in certain situations. This is known as being disqualified. You could be disqualified from getting JA for up to 9 weeks if you:

Left work voluntarily and without just cause
    Lost your job through misconduct
    Refused an offer of suitable employment or training and you have been on a penalty rate of JA for at least 21 days
    https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/social_welfare/social_welfare_payments/unemployed_people/jobseekers_allowance.html

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

I'm not sure but I don't think they're letting anyone into the social welfare offices. They looked completely empty when I was there. All forms left at the entrance and you have to post back forms.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

KaiLee wrote: »
    I was supposed to return to work this week but not to my original hours. They cut my hours to approx 12-16 a week. Less than half my usual. They are not doing the subsidiary payment option. I have two children and this would not pay the bills. I have no other income or support. Doing grand until this turn od events. So im now looking for new work and turned in my resignation after seven years of service. They didn't request me to work notice. Will i struggle to get the dole now as i left voluntarily even though i had to because the dole was the better option financially ? Ive already had interviews and actively looking for new work. Currently on the PUP covid emergency payment until i get into my local welfare officer Monday after which i assume itll be stopped as my employer insisted he has work for me and would not lay me off. Anyone experienced this situation?

If they cut your hours, can you sign on for the days you don’t work?
    Or look into wfp it used to be called fis?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭bush

You should sign for the days off while looking for a job

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

I'm not sure but I don't think they're letting anyone into the social welfare offices. They looked completely empty when I was there. All forms left at the entrance and you have to post back forms.
    They have had both options throughout this. Calling is the third one and I believe they are responding faster to calls.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Baymax2020

If you have been paying your stamp while working you'll be entitled to use them. Think it's called job seekers benefit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭ldy4mxonucwsq6

If your employer reduces your hours to that extent you can usually apply for jobseekers for the days that have been cut and then work the remaining available hours from your employer.

Why don't you do that instead of leaving your job (if it still an option)?

• Registered Users Posts: 23 KaiLee

Millem wrote: »
    If they cut your hours, can you sign on for the days you don’t work?
    Or look into wfp it used to be called fis?

I now dont have enough hours to claim the wfp. By going on the dole i get to claim for my kids so its a regular amount more than if i do x's and o's. So i am hoping the circumstances are seen as such. I can't live off 12 hours pay and sign on and off and still get less than dole is how i see it. Seriously just hoping i got the job i interviewed for and it wont matter in the end. But a tad worried they may decide to withold payment as i resigned. If i was a single person and no kids obviously then i could have signed on no bother, less to lose. But i feel the pressure as ive a family.

If your employer reduces your hours to that extent you can usually apply for jobseekers for the days that have been cut and then work the remaining available hours from your employer.

Ive looked into it and id be better off on the dole right now. I wanted a new job anyway but i definitely was not going to be able survive on what was in offer even while signing on short term. He should have laid me off. There wasn't enough work for anyone in their. And so no hope of seeing it increase. I wanted to be free to find and attend new interviews.

Ive looked into it and id be better off on the dole right now. I wanted a new job anyway but i definitely was not going to be able survive on what was in offer even while signing on short term. He should have laid me off. There wasn't enough work for anyone in their. And so no hope of seeing it increase. I wanted to be free to find and attend new interviews.

• Advertisement

Baymax2020 wrote: »
    If you have been paying your stamp while working you'll be entitled to use them. Think it's called job seekers benefit.

Ya this i should be entitled to. While on PUP i applied for job seekers so i am hoping its a smooth transition for while i need it. But i do fear they will penalise me. I jist feel im within my right to want the stability of one payment. With covid and blended schooling possibilities alot is very up in the air. As a single parent i just didnt feel easy it.

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭wheresthebeef

You’re not a entitled to give up a job voluntarily at the expense of the tax payer because it doesn’t suit you to collect wages and X’s and O’s. Hopefully if you do get any money out of SW, they’ll force you to pay it back later. You should’ve kept working your 12 to 16 hours per week and used the other 28 hours per week to find new work whilst signing on. The country’s finances are in sh1te and you’re adding to a problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Morrisp

You’re not a entitled to give up a job voluntarily at the expense of the tax payer because it doesn’t suit you to collect wages and X’s and O’s. Hopefully if you do get any money out of SW, they’ll force you to pay it back later. You should’ve kept working your 12 to 16 hours per week and used the other 28 hours per week to find new work whilst signing on. The country’s finances are in sh1te and you’re adding to a problem.

What load bull and goodie too shoe you . A lot worse people out there . Far too much judgemental words in your post . People choices and needs change ,

As i stated the i am applying and waiting on other job interests. And also my two sons and i could certainly not live off 203 plus (30x2) supplement. The x's and o's option is less! Ive never been on the dole in my life however in this case from my research i realised claiming my credits back or effectively going on the dole was a better financial decision. That sucks on many levels. My boss gave me little option. You actually think i want to he an unemployed parent? Thanks for you sound advise.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 CucamarMor

What a lot of bull. You scream entitled w*nk*r.

Sonrisa wrote: »
    You may be entitled to claim redundancy. It sounds like you are now on short-time working, From Citizens Info:

Ring Flac or Citizens info for advice. There is a delay in receiving redundancy payments at the moment, but it would mean you have no issue with claiming social welfare while you are looking for something else.

Unfortunately no redundancies are being paid during covid but that would have been the circumstances normally yes. Thats what ive been informed anyhow. As some of the staff would certainly have preferred that after 30 years service now suddenly claiming short term.

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭wheresthebeef

CucamarMor wrote: »
    What a lot of bull. You scream entitled w*nk*r.

I gave an answer based on the law of the land. I didn’t know this was a forum for promoting social welfare fraud. Needless to say the OP will do whatever she wants, but I don’t think it’s right or helpful to encourage someone to break the law, both for their own sake and for the sake of society.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

I gave an answer based on the law of the land. I didn’t know this was a forum for promoting social welfare fraud. Needless to say the OP will do whatever she wants, but I don’t think it’s right or helpful to encourage someone to break the law, both for their own sake and for the sake of society.

You also opined on their decision to quit their job and told them they should have stayed in a job they couldn't afford to be in. No one has encouraged them to break the law but plenty gave them answers without having a dig while they were at it and weren't called out like you were.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 917 ✭✭✭MickeyLeari

Why did the employer not utilise the TWSS? Is he trying to push people out without being on the hook for redundancy after?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

I think you are still entitled to the €350 covid payment as 12 hours a week is effectively your job gone as it's a major change and you are unable to return to work due to the conditions.

The covid payment can be validly claimed in your circumstances according to the details on citizen information website.

Remember it's you claiming it, not the company, so if your job is effectively gone, it's a valid payment for you.

• Advertisement

This is the law. Im well aware of what ot says online but it doesn't always pan out in reality. Here i am making enquiries. Im not doing anything wrong and you have let your negative disgruntled thoughts get away with you. According to the attached from citizens advise my circumstances are valid. I am a single working parent. I can not survive in the sign on reduced hours method. Thats why they have payments for someone like me. Clearly a worry you have never faced and have no empathy or compassion towards someone who is trying to better themselves. Who are you to judge?

Why did the employer not utilise the TWSS? Is he trying to push people out without being on the hook for redundancy after?

Thats what i feel. Exactly! He has staff there working 30+years and has cut their hours in half and more cos then he is seen to be offering work and no redundancy will be paid. Half of the staff should have been laid off..we were quiet before covid. But this is speculative.... Yet i believe so. I was backed into a corner when it didn't need to be pushed. Most people working there have mortgages paid off and in better position than i so can work for pocket money as they believe it to be temporary reduction. I dont believe it will improve.

Darc19 wrote: »
    I think you are still entitled to the €350 covid payment as 12 hours a week is effectively your job gone as it's a major change and you are unable to return to work due to the conditions.

The covid payment can be validly claimed in your circumstances according to the details on citizen information website.

Remember it's you claiming it, not the company, so if your job is effectively gone, it's a valid payment for you.

Thats how i read the form too. My personal circumstances apply.

Advertisement