Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Guinness Pro12 Season 2020-2021

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 825 ✭✭✭Homesick Alien

Has it been confirmed yet whether we will have a single league table for the Pro12 this year or are they sticking with conferences? Really hope it's the former.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,965 ✭✭✭connachta

Blut2 wrote: »
    I'd wager going forward if we keep a format where 6 teams qualify for the playoffs it'll end up mostly being 2 Irish, 2 SA, 1 Welsh, 1 Scottish most years. Based on the last few years of performance anyway. So probably not good news for Connacht, unless they can reliably overtake Munster/Ulster.

With obvious European Cup implications if/when the Saffers get approved to play in it, too. I can't see them being kept out for too long - them taking part would add a huge number of viewers for the competition, and all the resultant increased broadcast/sponsor revenue. The financially struggling English teams won't be able to resist that.

The financially struggling English teams would be like Connacht, not involved if they don't oppose

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Richie_Rich89

Has it been confirmed yet whether we will have a single league table for the Pro12 this year or are they sticking with conferences? Really hope it's the former.

Murray Kinsella was saying on the 42 podcast that it'd be a conference schedule but one table, and then top 8 making play-offs. Hopefully it is one table.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Conferences

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭Blut2

connachta wrote: »
    The financially struggling English teams would be like Connacht, not involved if they don't oppose

The English teams won't be giving up any European qualification places by letting the SA teams join, though. The SA teams will use Pro14 spots. So the English have no reason to oppose it, especially given the financial windfall for them.

Which is a bit different to Connacht, who'd likely find themselves shut out of the Champions Cup for the forseeable.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 54,091 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

The English teams won't be giving up any European qualification places by letting the SA teams join, though. The SA teams will use Pro14 spots. So the English have no reason to oppose it, especially given the financial windfall for them.

Which is a bit different to Connacht, who'd likely find themselves shut out of the Champions Cup for the forseeable.

The English and French could object on logistical grounds.

awec wrote: »

Hope so

Treviso, I tell you now, Treviso must target ChallengeC win , they just have to back them with confidence

I can't wait for the SA teams to make Connacht look like a pub team.

I can't wait for the SA teams to make Connacht look like a pub team.

A team just like Munster will be without its high-money Saffer RG?

OK that was a dirty knock...:p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,812 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Just bump it back up to 24 teams.

SA TV money may overcome that obstacle

• Subscribers Posts: 41,836 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

bilston wrote: »
    SA TV money may overcome that obstacle

Agreed.

If the SA success are allowed in, there will be a big call to offset travelling costs from Europe.

The biggest issue will be the logistics around game numbers and the schedule.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Well, I hope we all enjoyed the opening weekend. NPHET have recommended level 5 for the entire country this evening.

If implemented, all sports cease including professional sports.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,836 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

It will be the end of this government if they put the whole country into level 5 lockdown on the strength of this.

Even playing the "not actually as bad" card and try to implement level 4 everywhere, it will be ignored across large swathes of the country.

They lost the people with the mask flip flop and golfgate

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,191 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Everyone playing in Belfast so.

sydthebeat wrote: »
    It will be the end of this government if they put the whole country into level 5 lockdown on the strength of this.

Even playing the "not actually as bad" card and try to implement level 4 everywhere, it will be ignored across large swathes of the country.

They lost the people with the mask flip flop and golfgate

Yeah to be honest, I don't see them actually going to level 5. In level 5, the schools remain open. People will immediately point to that and say "No f*cking way am I staying home when hundreds of thousands are sitting in classromms every day".

• Administrators Posts: 54,091 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

How on earth can you go from level 2/3 in a few counties to 5 everywhere.

What is the point in this level system.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,191 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

How on earth can you go from level 2/3 in a few counties to 5 everywhere.

What is the point in this level system.
    NPHET have no interest in the economy or the survival of sporting organisations. They see it purely for the most conservative medical POV. I honestly can't see the government agreeing to level 5.

And as other have already said, the horse has bolted when it comes to widespread obedience of the regulations.

NPHET have no interest in the economy or the survival of sporting organisations. They see it purely for the most conservative medical POV. I honestly can't see the government agreeing to level 5.

And as other have already said, the horse has bolted when it comes to widespread obedience of the regulations.

Exactly. They don't have to take any other elements into account. Their advice is purely on how best to curtail the spread.

The country cannot take another lockdown. Measures need to be implemented to protect and isolate the most vulnerable. Additional measures required for the majority of the population. But the whole 5km restriction? Not a hope they can get the population on board.

I don't think the Pro14/Ireland games are going to be cancelled either. There are 4 teams in the country. If they've a testing regime in place and are being vigilant, there's no reason they should have any games postponed unless there are positive cases within those goups.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,211 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Ruairidh O'Connor seems to think all sports would be postponed. But I just can't see us going to level 5 straight away. There'll be compromise in some areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,790 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Clegg wrote: »
    Ruairidh O'Connor seems to think all sports would be postponed. But I just can't see us going to level 5 straight away. There'll be compromise in some areas.

Level 5 states all sports stop. No training in groups.

It's the nuclear option. Govt wont follow it. This is NPHET getting level 4 and some other add on bits. Elite sport won't stop

GAA seem to have trouble counting beyond 10 though. Seen some pics on social media of club matches with 1000+ in attendance. Dumb stuff

Everyone playing in Belfast so.

Wouldn't bank on it...our infection rate is higher than down south and we are heading towards a "circuit break"...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,233 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

Burkie1203 wrote: »
    Level 5 states all sports stop. No training in groups.

It's the nuclear option. Govt wont follow it. This is NPHET getting level 4 and some other add on bits. Elite sport won't stop

GAA seem to have trouble counting beyond 10 though. Seen some pics on social media of club matches with 1000+ in attendance. Dumb stuff

I saw some pics too but when checked it out they were in Northern Ireland. I don’t think any games in Ireland have exceeded 200 limit, certainly not by that amount anyway. Did see some games where social distancing amongst the 200 was poor though.

I don’t think level five will happen tomorrow but restriction fatigue has set in, reality is I would say a majority of people in the country have not followed guidance to the tee and then some just disregard it altogether. There isn’t really a straightforward answer other than trying to get people to take individual responsibility but that hasn’t worked for a while now.

ClanofLams wrote: »
    I saw some pics too but when checked it out they were in Northern Ireland. I don’t think any games in Ireland have exceeded 200 limit, certainly not by that amount anyway. Did see some games where social distancing amongst the 200 was poor though.

I don’t think level five will happen tomorrow but restriction fatigue has set in, reality is I would say a majority of people in the country have not followed guidance to the tee and then some just disregard it altogether. There isn’t really a straightforward answer other than trying to get people to take individual responsibility but that hasn’t worked for a while now.

https://twitter.com/johnfcrean/status/1312853756820811776?s=19
    There was also a large crowd at a football game in cork city one evening last week

This from the same sport that publicly called out the CMO mid summer and demanded a meeting

If govt are to take action, ban GAA training and games from taking place for 2 months. This is the sort of thing that has NPHET seeking level 5

Govt need to stop punishing everyone for the actions of a few. And start dealing with those who are breaching guidelines

I know this is in Ulster, but Irish Govt can have a word with GAA and hold off any money from that 70m for a while until they get their act together.

https://twitter.com/PaulHewton_82/status/1312799596050026497?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 4,817 ✭✭✭b.gud

I know this is in Ulster, but Irish Govt can have a word with GAA and hold off any money from that 70m for a while until they get their act together.

https://twitter.com/PaulHewton_82/status/1312799596050026497?s=19

Well he seems like a charming person

• Registered Users Posts: 4,233 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

There was also a large crowd at a football game in cork city one evening last week

This from the same sport that publicly called out the CMO mid summer and demanded a meeting

If govt are to take action, ban GAA training and games from taking place for 2 months. This is the sort of thing that has NPHET seeking level 5

Govt need to stop punishing everyone for the actions of a few. And start dealing with those who are breaching guidelines

Absolutely crazy that happened but it isn’t a match, the GAA authorities have no control over that, it’s people being dumb. And there was an awful lot of county cups won over the last few weeks, vast majority of which had no celebrations/driving parade etc

The Government are going to settle on Level 3 nationwide, per reports.

Training
    Outdoors: Non contact training only in pods of up to 15 (exemption for professional/elite/inter-county sports/senior club championship).
    Indoors: Individual training only. No exercise or dance classes.

Matches and events

No matches or events to take place.
    Exemption: professional/elite/inter-county/club championship/horse-racing can take place behind closed doors.

Gyms, leisure centres and swimming pools

Gyms/leisure centres/swimming pools open with protective measures, for individual training only.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭OldRio

Some rumours in the Scottish press about the use of a 'circuit breaker' or 'mini lockdown'. Details sketchy at the moment.

It could be a long season.

Gareth anscombe out for a further year
    Awful news for the guy

https://twitter.com/BBCSportWales/status/1313453399044689923?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭yerrahbah

https://twitter.com/PRO14Official/status/1314205540285726720

Our Welsh friends have taken this news very badly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,721 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

yerrahbah wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/PRO14Official/status/1314205540285726720

Our Welsh friends have taken this news very badly

You can see the hit at the one minute mark here https://youtu.be/4I2yjtROwd4

Pretty clear and obvious to be honest.

You can see the hit at the one minute mark here https://youtu.be/4I2yjtROwd4

Pretty clear and obvious to be honest.

Obvious to me too.

I just think this on the back of POM getting off scot free has riled people up

• Registered Users Posts: 24,767 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

yerrahbah wrote: »
    Obvious to me too.

I just think this on the back of POM getting off scot free has riled people up

POM got 2 yellow cards as opposed to an out and out red. Theres no issue with him being let off. The Welsh fans doing this moaning are constantly on the look out for any perceived issue that they can whinge about.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Dog Botherer

they’re still at it.

molloyjh wrote: »
    POM got 2 yellow cards as opposed to an out and out red. Theres no issue with him being let off. The Welsh fans doing this moaning are constantly on the look out for any perceived issue that they can whinge about.

Ya I guess getting two yellows is so rare in rugby I wasn't quite sure how the disciplinary panel worked.

I don't think I would have had too many complaints if he copped a 1 week ban.

The Turnbull one was a textbook example of what world rugby is trying to stamp out, wouldn't surprise me if it was used on the world rugby website as an example of what not to do

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭rayd3

Hopefully a terrible English rugby journalist or ex player bats his eyelashes in their direction so the poor creatúrs have something positive to take out of this week after the mean PrO’14 cost them again.

4 wins for the provinces coupled with a few losses for the regions would be a lovely outcome this weekend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

Is the Pro14 site really bad for everyone else on mobile. No text in any of their articles at the minute. Says 9 min read etc. but there's nothing. Went to contact section to let them know and there's nothing on it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Dog Botherer

can’t tell if i genuinely like the pro69 as a competition or if i just like it because i’m a Leinster supporter and it’s just a free annual the academy lads get for doing well in their training matches trophy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,767 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Must be an absolute humdinger in Italy. Benetton 3-0 Scarlets.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

molloyjh wrote: »
    Must be an absolute humdinger in Italy. Benetton 3-0 Scarlets.

It’s an arm wrestle so far. It’s actually a lot more entertaining than it sounds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,773 ✭✭✭connemara man

It’s an arm wrestle so far. It’s actually a lot more entertaining than it sounds.

It's s lot more entertaining than Ryle makes it sound

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭Boscoirl

A generous flat call there for the try IMO

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,415 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Very generous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,597 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Benneton have been playing some very nice rugby this season, and once again, are unlucky to not come away with at least a draw

That Scarlets try should have been overturned as that 2nd last pass was a mile forward

Akrasia wrote: »
    Benneton have been playing some very nice rugby this season, and once again, are unlucky to not come away with at least a draw

That Scarlets try should have been overturned as that 2nd last pass was a mile forward

That's everything I was about to say
    1 point out of 15 is the less rewarding outcome for good rugby over 3 games in a while...

The start of the season really hasn't been promising from a league perspective. Edinburgh have completely collapsed to the point where they will be considering sacking Cockerill if they lose the next 1 or 2 games.

Scarlets and Glasgow have generally looked fairly poor. Ospreys have certainly improved from last season but aren't realistic contenders. Cardiff are looking solid too, thankfully but not a lot more than that.

There's a genuine chance that the provinces are the top 4 teams at this point which is great in many ways but very bad for the league.

Buer wrote: »
    The start of the season really hasn't been promising from a league perspective. Edinburgh have completely collapsed to the point where they will be considering sacking Cockerill if they lose the next 1 or 2 games.

Scarlets and Glasgow have generally looked fairly poor. Ospreys have certainly improved from last season but aren't realistic contenders. Cardiff are looking solid too, thankfully but not a lot more than that.

There's a genuine chance that the provinces are the top 4 teams at this point which is great in many ways but very bad for the league.

Edinburgh are away to Cardiff and host Scarlets in the next two games. They could very easily lose both.

• Advertisement
Advertisement