Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Games Have You Completed? (2021 Edition)

Options

Comments

Only ever finished one game:

Ghosts & Goblins (ZX Spectrum, 1980-something edition)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Only ever finished one game:

Ghosts & Goblins (ZX Spectrum, 1980-something edition)

Right so you should delete the post and start a new thread "What games have you completed 1980's edition".

This thread is games you have completed 2021 edition.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,865 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I heard about this on a youtube channel before and it sounds nuts. Cool idea with the branching paths all converging as one I might check it out!

Well it doesn't really come together that well in the end but definitely worth a play as it's so interesting and fun. You can polish a chapter off each night and it will be somethin new each time.

Always wanted to try it but the recent retronauts episode pushed me over the edge. The fan translation has been updated to 2.0 and was done by the aeon genesis team with tomato who is a games translator full time so it's really good quality.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,865 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Game|Platform|Game|Platform
    Megaman X2|SNES|Live a Live|SNES
    Streets of Rage 4|PC|Clockwork Knight|Saturn
    Sekiro|PC||
    Megaman 7|SNES||
    Megaman 8|PS1||
    Megaman X3|SNES||
    Megaman & Bass|SNES||
    13 Sentinels: Aegis Rim|PS4||
    Broken Sword: Director's Cut|PC||
    Command & Conquer: Red Alert|PC||
    Mischief Makers|N64||
    Wolfenstein 2: New Colossus (DLC)|PC||
    Deception 4: Blood Ties|PS4||
    Final Fantasy Adventure|Gameboy||
    Virtua Racing|Switch||
    Thief 2: The Metal Age|PC||
    Medal of Honor: Allied Assault: Spearhead|PC||
    Crysis Remaster|PC||
    God of War: Chain of Olympus|PS3||
    Resident Evil Village|PC||

Clockwork Knight

Launch window Sega Saturn platformer. It's actually quite a lot of fun despite being obviously rushed. It's very short with only 4 stages, each with two levels and a boss and a final boss. It's an easy enough game other than the annoying final maze level and the penultimate boss who I wasted nearly all my lives on. Lives are pretty plentiful in this game so I had enough to figure his pattern out.

It's a pretty simple platformer. One of the first 2.5D platformers of the 32-bit era. It doesn't make a whole lot of use of the third dimension other than hazards coming in from the background and other than that it plays pretty much like a SNES or megadrive platformer. It's a nice looking game and has aged well. It has a toy story aesthetic but predates that film by almost a year and while the sprites are all prerendered they are well animated and high res thanks to the saturn being an absolute 2D beast.

Controls are a little slippery but it's very responsive and any deaths I had were down to my own cack handedness. It's such a shame the game was so rushed, Sega probably needed a platformer since Sonic was MIA. It's far better than early PS1 platformers such as garbage like Pandemonium. And while it's not as big a game as Crash Bandicoot, it's much more fun and well designed than the first game.

There's a far more substantial sequel which I'll get around to. The game didn't really impress at release, the gameplay wasn't that much different from SNES and Megadrive games of the era and it can be polished off in an hour with not a lot of replayability when you have splashed out 400 punts for a next gen saturn and a 60 punt game. It's a much better game in retrospect and while not amazing it's a nice slice of Sega Blue Skies gaming.

• Registered Users Posts: 733 ✭✭✭Mr.Fantastic

#|GAME|PLATFORM
    1|Streets of Rage 4 | Switch
    2|Cyberpunk 2077 | PS5(PS4 version)
    3| Remnant from the ashes | PS5(PS4)
    4| Life is strange Season 2 | PS5(PS4)
    5| FFX HD remaster | Switch
    6| AC:Odyssey | PS5(PS4)
    7|Resident evil 3:remake | PS5(PS4)
    8|Halo 5: Guardians | Xbox Series X
    9| State of Decay 2 | Xbox Series X
    10| Nioh 2 remastered | PS5
    11|Astro's Playroom |PS5
    12| Crash 4 | PS5
    13| Gears of War 4 | Xbox Series X
    14| Dex | Switch
    15| Valkyria Chronicles 4 |PS5 (PS4)
    16| Resident evil 8: Village | PS5
    17| Outriders | Xbox Series X

Outriders

Played this on game pass and rolled credits last night with two of my buddies,

Really enjoyed playing it with my friends online , it can be played single player but its meant to be a co-op or trio experience. Kinda like a loot shooter with added powers had a few issues with server connections and a few missions being bugged but always resolved it by disbanding the party and going again.

Enjoyable and good length to it too, bit cheesy storywise but sure was just there to hold up the shootin.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,151 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Monster Hunter Rise - I can count the number of games I’ve played for 80-90 hours in the last few years on one hand. I can count the number of games I played for 80-90 hours in a two month period on one finger.

Can you really *finish* a Monster Hunter game? Well, thankfully update 3.0 brings an ending to the game, a nice final battle and cutscene that feels like a pat on the back. There’s still more to do - another bonus monster waiting at Hunter rank 100, lots of expensive, high-end armour to craft, quests to play with friends, and of course a dozen other weapons to try if so inclined (it’s only a slight exaggeration to suggest each weapon is almost a whole new game to master). But also finally feel like I’ve reached an ending of sorts, which is nice, even if I will keep playing on and off.

Suffice to say this game hooked me, I’d bounced off MH games before, but this one got me. Once you get that loop - the joy of fighting a monster and the satisfaction of MH’s best in class loot hunt - it’s remarkably agile and engaging.

That the monsters are magnificent and varied is something it’s clear the series perfected long ago. But there’s key things that remove the sense of friction the other games had - from glorious wirebug navigation and wall-running (imagine Spider-Man if it required actual skill and timing) to the Palimute that’s a delightfully ridiculous mount (what’s not to love about a dog that gets a speed boost when you drift it around a corner?). It’s hard to imagine these weren’t in the series before, so logical and sensible they are. The game just feels tremendous to play, with mechanics and loops that nigh on demand dozens of hours of your attention.

So much design to praise: the tightly designed central hub areas that centralise everything you need in a handful of rooms; the joys of seeing a turf war break out between two monsters and then hopping on one of them to wail on the other; the increasingly chaotic Rampage missions which aren’t particularly difficult but certainly are endearingly ludicrous when you take on those furious Apex monsters. It’s a game that has a surprising amount of respect for your time despite the grind, such as a smart system that lets you skip chunks of multiplayer if you play through the campaign, basically speeding up your arrival at the point where ‘the TRUE Monster Hunter begins here’.

Some of the menus and systems are baffling, especially at first - the game’s tutorial is hilariously insufficient. Those first three or four hours are a barrier to entry of sorts. But honestly the game’s generous learning curve *beyond that* caught me off guard. New systems are introduced at a sensible pace, and the difficulty curve only really ramps up as you reach the top tiers of high rank. Even then, the game is never insurmountable or unfair... although I do wish it was a bit easier to break the damn armour of a Barroth!

I loved this game, and am looking forward to dipping in and out more casually now that the immediate need to see its late game content has been mostly satisfied. It is in many ways a pure example of great game design: a simple core idea, enhanced and iterated upon with lots of interesting tweaks and flourishes. Monster Hunter finally got me: I’m a believer, and in its own particular way this is one of the best video games I’ve ever played..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭skerry

Monster Hunter Rise - I can count the number of games I’ve played for 80-90 hours in the last few years on one hand. I can count the number of games I played for 80-90 hours in a two month period on one finger.

Can you really *finish* a Monster Hunter game? Well, thankfully update 3.0 brings an ending to the game, a nice final battle and cutscene that feels like a pat on the back. There’s still more to do - another bonus monster waiting at Hunter rank 100, lots of expensive, high-end armour to craft, quests to play with friends, and of course a dozen other weapons to try if so inclined (it’s only a slight exaggeration to suggest each weapon is almost a whole new game to master). But also finally feel like I’ve reached an ending of sorts, which is nice, even if I will keep playing on and off.

Suffice to say this game hooked me, I’d bounced off MH games before, but this one got me. Once you get that loop - the joy of fighting a monster and the satisfaction of MH’s best in class loot hunt - it’s remarkably agile and engaging.

That the monsters are magnificent and varied is something it’s clear the series perfected long ago. But there’s key things that remove the sense of friction the other games had - from glorious wirebug navigation and wall-running (imagine Spider-Man if it required actual skill and timing) to the Palimute that’s a delightfully ridiculous mount (what’s not to love about a dog that gets a speed boost when you drift it around a corner?). It’s hard to imagine these weren’t in the series before, so logical and sensible they are. The game just feels tremendous to play, with mechanics and loops that nigh on demand dozens of hours of your attention.

So much design to praise: the tightly designed central hub areas that centralise everything you need in a handful of rooms; the joys of seeing a turf war break out between two monsters and then hopping on one of them to wail on the other; the increasingly chaotic Rampage missions which aren’t particularly difficult but certainly are endearingly ludicrous when you take on those furious Apex monsters. It’s a game that has a surprising amount of respect for your time despite the grind, such as a smart system that lets you skip chunks of multiplayer if you play through the campaign, basically speeding up your arrival at the point where ‘the TRUE Monster Hunter begins here’.

Some of the menus and systems are baffling, especially at first - the game’s tutorial is hilariously insufficient. Those first three or four hours are a barrier to entry of sorts. But honestly the game’s generous learning curve *beyond that* caught me off guard. New systems are introduced at a sensible pace, and the difficulty curve only really ramps up as you reach the top tiers of high rank. Even then, the game is never insurmountable or unfair... although I do wish it was a bit easier to break the damn armour of a Barroth!

I loved this game, and am looking forward to dipping in and out more casually now that the immediate need to see its late game content has been mostly satisfied. It is in many ways a pure example of great game design: a simple core idea, enhanced and iterated upon with lots of interesting tweaks and flourishes. Monster Hunter finally got me: I’m a believer, and in its own particular way this is one of the best video games I’ve ever played..

Just finished the story there a few mins ago myself. Not a huge fan of the final boss battles, but they never seem to nail the finale in MH games. Thankfully they've nailed everything else with Rise. Similar to yourself I've dipped in and out of MH games and was usually late to the party, but its great to get stuck into one from day 1. Glad they've locked next new quest behind a decent high HR as I don't feel the need to rush through it now and can enjoy the grind. Have 4 or 5 different builds on the go and grinding for decos and armor for them will keep me plenty occupied. Best money I've possibly ever spent on a game as far as value for money is concerned.

When I say dipped in and out of the other games, I've about 80 hours in both World and MHGU. Only a monster hunter game could make you think 80 hrs is dipping in.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,171 ✭✭✭1huge1

Games completed during 2021 so far

All were first playthroughs bar the Half Life games.
    #|GAME|PLATFORM
    1|Cyberpunk 2077 | Stadia
    2|Halo 4 | PC
    3| Half Life 2 | PC
    4| Half Life 2 – Episode 1| PC
    5| Half Life 2 – Episode 2 | PC
    6| Resident evil 7 - biohazard | Stadia
    7| Resident evil Village/8 | Stadia

Currently playing for the first time

#|GAME|PLATFORM
    1| STAR WARS Jedi: Fallen Order| Stadia
    2| Red Dead Redemption 2 | Stadia

Making painfully slow progress through RDR2

• Registered Users Posts: 33,296 ✭✭✭✭Penn

1huge1 wrote: »
    Making painfully slow progress through RDR2

That's pretty much the same as speedrunning the game tbh.

Some people's slow is another man's bored and frustrated out of my arse.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,296 ✭✭✭✭Penn

lol
    I never understood the complaints about it being 'slow'.
    Chapter 6 is a pain to get through but I really liked the pacing of the other chapters overall.
    For some reason I enjoyed the long animations of skinning, picking plants etc yet find long animations irritating in other games.
    Love RDR2. Think I even prefer it to GTAV.

I think the trouble is you're able to enjoy the slow and super-realistic parts, but if you get bored of those bits and want to speed things up, you really can't. The game has one speed, which can be amazing at the start but can also really grate after a while, especially as the game just keeps introducing new, also slow things to do, even if they're only used sparingly.

Not only are the graphics jarringly worse than the single player but I’m not a fan of the maps. Maybe it will grow on me once I actually get good at it...but for now it's meh. A bit of a shame because the MP is why I play Battlefield.

The graphics are great on PC(MP) well they were a fair few years ago when I last played it.

Game|Platform|Game|Platform
    Megaman X2|SNES|Live a Live|SNES
    Streets of Rage 4|PC|Clockwork Knight|Saturn
    Sekiro|PC|DuckTales|NES
    Megaman 7|SNES||
    Megaman 8|PS1||
    Megaman X3|SNES||
    Megaman & Bass|SNES||
    13 Sentinels: Aegis Rim|PS4||
    Broken Sword: Director's Cut|PC||
    Command & Conquer: Red Alert|PC||
    Mischief Makers|N64||
    Wolfenstein 2: New Colossus (DLC)|PC||
    Deception 4: Blood Ties|PS4||
    Final Fantasy Adventure|Gameboy||
    Virtua Racing|Switch||
    Thief 2: The Metal Age|PC||
    Medal of Honor: Allied Assault: Spearhead|PC||
    Crysis Remaster|PC||
    God of War: Chain of Olympus|PS3||
    Resident Evil Village|PC||

DuckTales

Well there's a good reason this is so beloved by NES fans, it's a fantastic platformer. It's a really unique platformer for the NES. Although made with the Megaman engine, it feels totally different. Scrooge's pogo stick is just genius and makes just the act of moving around the level a huge amount of fun. I also like the emphasis on collecting money to get a better ending, it means there's an incentive to collect the random item drops other than score.

This is an out and out classic. So much fun, looks great and the soundtrack is legendary. One of the easier NES games as well although easy NES game still means it will kick your ass. In terms of ease of finishing I'd rank it higher tougher than the second contra game but below the first contra and a hell of a lot easier than the likes of Ninja Gaiden and Super Mario Bros.

#|GAME|PLATFORM
    11|Astro's Playroom |PS5
    12| Crash 4 | PS5
    14| Dex | Switch
    18 | Mass Effect 1: Legendary Edition | Xbox Series X

Mass Effect 1: Legendary Edition

First time I played this since it came out originally in 2007, Makes me feel old!

They did a great job of making it a bit more playable but was a tiny bit clunky, feel like ME2 is the highpoint of the series so I am excited to start that at some stage.

I know the mako was reworked but these are easily the most boring bits, still with its flaws it really was impressive for a 2007 game with an uplift.

At a crossroads what to play next started playing Dead space on game pass and I am enjoying it but its stressful, also have links awakening on the go for the switch, which I am dipping in and out.

I really want to start the Yakuza games I have but I know after playing Yakuza 0 and Kiwami it will suck me in for ages.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭Gamer Bhoy 89

GAME: Mass Effect 2 (Legendary Edition)
    PLATFORM: PlayStation 4

Forgot how fun this game was. Most of the issues I had in ME1 are fixed in this one, my biggest gripes being dumb button commands (it was square to throw a grenade, now it's whatever button I choose, with square CORRECTLY set as the reload button) and empty planets (now you can just launch probes to collect materials instead of having to physically crawl an empty wasteland looking for them) and as a result, any planets you do get to visit are more detailed and actually varied.

They definitely went with more of an action-orientated approach with this one, with more streamlined mechanics as well.

Since I was going for the Platinum trophy I wanted everything to go perfect on my playthrough (which I managed).
    All of my team survived.

The moment I saw
    the ending
    , I got goosebumps.
    Seeing the reapers show up in droves right as the game shuts off with the cliffhanger is one of the best said cliffhangers in any game series.

There isn't much else I can say without having to abuse the spoiler tag but I will say it's one of the best sequels to a game with arguably the best setup to a follow-up that I can think of off the top of my head.

I understand Mass Effect 3 isn't the best of the trilogy, story wise, but since I know this going in I won't be too bummed out by it. I'm just happy I get to play more Mass Effect for another week. :)

|GAMES BEATEN IN 2021|
    #|GAME|PLATFORM|#|GAME|PLATFORM

1|RESIDENT EVIL 3|PS4|21|STREET FIGHTER ALPHA 3|PC

2|ACE COMBAT 7: SKIES UNKNOWN|PS4|22|STREET FIGHTER 3: NEW GENERATION|PC

3|GRIS|PS4|23|STREET FIGHTER 3: 2ND IMPACT|PC

4|SCOTT PILGRIM VS. THE WORLD|PS4|24|STREET FIGHTER 3: 3RD STRIKE|PC

5|STREETS OF RAGE 4|SWITCH|25|SHANK|PC

6|KING OF FIGHTERS '94 (ACA NEOGEO)|PS4|26|SHANK 2|PC

7|KING OF FIGHTERS '95|PS4|27|BLACK MESA|PC

8|KING OF FIGHTERS '96|PS4|28|HALF-LIFE 2|PC

9|KING OF FIGHTERS '97: GLOBAL MATCH|PS4|29|LITTLE NIGHTMARES 2|XBOX ONE

10|KING OF FIGHTERS '98: ULTIMATE MATCH|PS4|30|WARRIORS OF FATE|SWITCH

11|NEOGEO BATTLE COLISEUM|XBOX 360|31|JAK & DAXTER|PS3

12|FATAL FURY (ACA NEOGEO)|PS4|32|LEGO STAR WARS: THE COMPLETE SAGA|PC

13|STREET FIGHTER|PC|33|GUITAR HERO III|XBOX 360

14|STREET FIGHTER 2: THE WORLD WARRIOR|PC|34|GUITAR HERO: METALLICA|XBOX 360

15|STREET FIGHTER 2: CHAMPION EDITION|PC|35|GUITAR HERO: WORLD TOUR|XBOX 360

16|STREET FIGHTER 2: HYPER FIGHTING|PC|36|DAYS GONE|PS4

17|SUPER STREET FIGHTER 2: THE NEW CHALLENGERS|PC|37|CONCRETE GENIE|PS4

18|SUPER STREET FIGHTER 2 TURBO|PC|38|MASS EFFECT (LEGENDARY EDITION)|PS4

19|STREET FIGHTER ALPHA|PC|39|MASS EFFECT 2 (LEGENDARY EDITION)|PS4

20|STREET FIGHTER ALPHA 2|PC

#|GAME|PLATFORM
    11|Astro's Playroom |PS5
    12| Crash 4 | PS5
    14| Dex | Switch
    19| Blood and Truth | PS5(PSVR)

Blood and Truth PSVR

Finally have a bit more room for the VR so am dipping into it as much as I can , find it a lot easier to play on weekends rather than during the week.

But have to say this was an amazing experience it was basically a playable action movie, though the movement in it wasn't great but I loved the gunplay and the serviceable action plot. Loved the interactions such as lockpicking and even reloading was fun. Hopefully this has given me enough VR legs so I can enjoy saints and sinners the walking dead game.

Nearly finished Dead space 1 and Zelda links awakening so could be a few more added to the list soon , am flying through them.

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭TinCanMan

Bioshock Infinite [PS4] - I loved this game but not quite as much as the first. Although very different from 1 & 2 there are some slight similarities with weapons and vigours(plasmids). If you've never played a Bioshock game then the collection is available quite cheaply. I would highly recommend all three for those that haven't played them. They are masterpieces and should be played in order of release date i.e. 1,2 and then infinite.

Shadow of the Tomb Raider [PS4] - If you've played a Tomb Raider game before then you'll know what to expect. This one is slightly less combat heavy than the first two in the trilogy and more focused on stealth and exploration. It's a beautiful looking game and whilst I enjoyed it I found it to be the weakest of the three.

Astro's Playroom [PS5] - First things first, this game is seriously fun with so much nostalgia thrown in from Playstation history that I was grinning like an idiot at times. But what's most impressive is that they used this game to highlight the new features of the Dualsense controller and boy does it shine. This is a revolution in controller design and I can't wait to see how other games will make use of it in the near future. There's a real wow factor about the Dualsense and it lives up to all the hype.

Ghost of Tsushima [PS5] - This game is something else. The visuals are pure eye candy and the gameplay and story are excellent. Whilst the visuals on the PS5 are the same the 60 FPS makes a huge difference. I enjoyed this game so much that I went on to get the platinum. I have yet to try out the online mode though as I don't really play much online.

Uncharted 4 [PS4/PS5] - What a way to finish the series. If you've played the others then you'll know what to expect but boy does this game look beautiful and also plays really well. Looks amazing for a 6 year old game at this stage, great story and voice acting as well. I would advise on playing them in order though to get the most from the story and characters.

[Xbox]

The Outer Worlds (DLC) Murder on Eridanos

First game to complete in a long time and it's not even a full game just a DLC and a fairly long and good one at that. I would recommend it to anyone and if you have Gamepass with Xbox it is free.

#|GAME|PLATFORM
    11|Astro's Playroom |PS5
    12| Crash 4 | PS5
    14| Dex | Switch
    19| Blood and Truth | PS5(PSVR)
    20| Dead Space | Xbox Series X(X360 gamepass)

Dead space

For a 2008 game this really holds up today, the atmosphere is claustrphobic and you never know where a necromorph is going to come out of.

I missed this the first time read and blasted through it under 9 hours, I had a great time with it. Excited to play 2 and 3 when I get the chance.

Currently playing disco Elysium on the ps5 the directors cut and words don't do justice for how brilliant it is. Some of the dialogue is amazing.

GAME: Mass Effect 3 (Legendary Edition)

This one was definitely the best game in the trilogy for me (yes, even the ending was acceptable to me). Gameplay was top-notch, and playing it in a silky smooth 60fps (for the most part) made it so much better.

I think the biggest thing that stood out to me out of all aspects of this entire trilogy, was not only the story, but the music was unbelievable. I think the best time the music kicked in was at the beginning/prologue of Mass Effect 3 (just as the title is going to show). It was bleak and beautiful at the same time (look it up if you can't picture what I mean).

I had a lot of fun with all three games as a whole. It took me about a week and change (per game) to get the platinum for each game as well. Money well spent in my books. If anyone says this trilogy is not worth the money they can't be a fan of Mass Effect at all, or can't see the fact that three games this size for the price of a new game is arguably the biggest bargain for a remaster in recent years. I definitely got my value for money out of it.

*sits in silence*

No idea what game to turn to next, my head is still stuck in Mass Effect's world.

If I could score them, I'd give
    • Mass Effect - 7/10
      The story was good but the gameplay was so janky, it dropped the score way down for me. It felt like a chore doing some material collecting and planetary exploration as well.
    • Mass Effect 2 - 8/10
      This is how you improve on the previous title. Much better gunplay, great continuation of the story, and an epic cliffhanger. Also, Thane.
    • Mass Effect 3 - 9/10
      Gameplay perfected. The tone of the game felt much more desolate than before, especially towards the end, and the music couldn't have been better. This was definitely 'peak Mass Effect' for me, personally.

The sound design as well - my god - this game is so good if you're an audiophile or someone who appreciates sound design in general. I fall into the category of "if it sounds boomy and bassy, it wins".

I feel like I'm rambling and slabbering on in text form - I think I've made my point. Mass Effect Legendary Edition is a cracking trilogy. Could do with a few tweaks to fix the performance, but nothing that broke the game.

|GAMES BEATEN IN 2021|
    #|GAME|PLATFORM|#|GAME|PLATFORM

1|RESIDENT EVIL 3|PS4|21|STREET FIGHTER ALPHA 3|PC

2|ACE COMBAT 7: SKIES UNKNOWN|PS4|22|STREET FIGHTER 3: NEW GENERATION|PC

20|STREET FIGHTER ALPHA 2|PC|40|MASS EFFECT 3 (LEGENDARY EDITION)|PS4

• Advertisement

GAME: Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice
    PLATFORM: Xbox One

My missus was bugging me to play this for a couple of years now. I finally dove into it over the weekend.

Despite it not being a horror game by genre, it still ended up being one of the most anxiety-inducing games I've ever played. Much of the game focuses on solving puzzles, occasional hack & slash fights and listening to the story via narrator exposition and the voices within the main character's head.

This game is best experienced with headphones as it uses binaural audio to tell its story. The audio is the game's biggest feature, I think. The fighting segments are forgettable, but not terrible. It's obvious they're not the focus, and as a result I played the game on Easy. I felt I had no reason to ramp up the difficulty on this at all. If you suffer from anxiety or are easily stressed out, I couldn't possibly recommend this game. My hands were wringing almost throughout my playthrough. I could blame the hot weather outside :pac:

Speaking of weather, I think I might sit in the garden with a cold beer and listen to a podcast because this game is depressing as fúck and I need something to lighten my day :pac: Nevertheless, it's an experience and a half and if you're not easily startled nor a shíte-bag, I recommend it.

There are zero jumpscares, so that was a relief for me. But it doesn't stop it from being an absolute horror-fest from an audio perspective.

What I found particularly interesting and rather encouraged me to keep going and be more engaged, was the theme of it all. The general synopsis of what the game is about is as follows (spoilers for people who don't want to know),
    The main character, Senua, is trying to save the soul of a dead loved one, all while fighting demons in her head - I believe she suffers from psychosis
    , the game had a few mental health specialists involved in the development process as well, which is really intriguing.

I'm finding it difficult to express what I think of the game without spoiling anything.

I really enjoyed it anyway. Can't wait for the sequel, whenever that comes out.

(Bollocks anyway. Just after realising that I am missing a heap of achievements that I should have definitely gotten through normal gameplay progress. Apparently if you don't hard-exit the game and resume it from standby, the achievements bug out and are unobtainable. Well fúck it anyway).

______________________________________________________________________________________________________
    ______________________________________________________________________________________________________

GAME: Watch_Dogs

Would you believe it took me 7 years to beat this game :pac:

The game overall just didn't gel with me that much. It's a good game - the hacking mechanic was pretty fun, but it got stale after a while, and rather repetitive. The visuals have aged horribly -- in fact they weren't that good on release.

I started this game around 2014, when it first came out, but stopped half way through the story because it just got boring. Returned to it a couple of months ago and got bored again. Went back after I beat Hellblade just because it was sitting there installed on my PS4 not doing anything. I figured I might as well just get it over with. I had already started Watch_Dogs 2 a few years ago but once God of War came out I left it alone and didn't go back. My reason to beating WD1 was I wanted to say I got that done before I ever decide to go back to WD2. Most of the reason was down to OCD - didn't feel right playing a sequel to a game I already got halfway through.

Anyway. Watch Dogs 1. It's okay, but I will definitely not be going back to it.

|GAMES BEATEN IN 2021|
    #|GAME|PLATFORM|#|GAME|PLATFORM|#|GAME|PLATFORM

1|RESIDENT EVIL 3|PS4|21|STREET FIGHTER ALPHA 3|PC|41|HELLBLADE: SENUA'S SACRIFICE|XBOX ONE

2|ACE COMBAT 7: SKIES UNKNOWN|PS4|22|STREET FIGHTER 3: NEW GENERATION|PC|42|WATCH_DOGS|PS4

20|STREET FIGHTER ALPHA 2|PC|40|MASS EFFECT 3 (LEGENDARY EDITION)|PS4

My hands were wringing almost throughout my playthrough. I could blame the hot weather outside :pac:

Speaking of weather, I think I might sit in the garden with a cold beer and listen to a podcast because this game is depressing as fúck and I need something to lighten my day :pac:

I don't know where you are but it's not hot weather here in the west of Ireland where I am. It's been nothing but cloudy every day this week despite reading about some heat wave that I never even got.

I don't know where you are but it's not hot weather here in the west of Ireland where I am. It's been nothing but cloudy every day this week despite reading about some heat wave that I never even got.

Kilkenny. It was about 26 degrees all day today. Absolutely splitting.

Senua is in my backlog. Everyone I know really enjoyed it so I plan to give it a go soon. A shame about the achievements not unlocking although not surprised given the 1/10 debacle with Jim Sterling due to a game breaking bug.

I take his reviews with a grain of salt. He's really enjoyable to watch and listen to but he's a very opinionated person. The only reason I stick with his content is he's the only fairly known content creator that likes the Dynasty Warriors series almost as much as I do :pac: I dont' know what game-breaking bug he encountered (I didn't watch his review of Hellblade) but there were none that I could speak of throughout my playthrough.

Advertisement