Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arcade Talk 24/7/365

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,731 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Slagcoin -> Panel Layout

That said, please follow the SRK Team Tech Talk motto:

6 button is cooler.
    8 button is dick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,885 ✭✭✭Steve X2

Nice little visual upgrade for those that use Hyperspin.
    Install these joystick graphics to improve the look of that little joystick that pops up when you're browsing games.
    These were done by 8BitMonk over on the Hyperspin forum.

http://www.hyperspin-fe.com/forum/showthread.php?t=15321
    How to install & notes

Be sure to make backups of your original swf animations.
    Copy the 4 swf's in the mame folder to media-->mame-->images-->special.
    Copy the 2 swf's in the main menu folder to media-->main menu-->images-->special.
    You may want to nudge them up a bit in HQ so the bottom of the dust cover doesn't get nipped off.

This is the default stick image/animation:
    originalhsblue.pngoriginalhsred.png

This is the improved stick image/animation:
    new_joystick.pngnew_joystick_2.png

Preview:

Well thats just poo that is.

Apparently the best Sega Saturn emulator (SSF)wont run in 640x480 so I cant run it in my cab :(

Had a good look online and it seems that everyone else has the same issue.

Anyone ever get it working at that resolution?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,146 ✭✭✭CathalDublin

Steve SI wrote: »
    Well thats just poo that is.

Apparently the best Sega Saturn emulator (SSF)wont run in 640x480 so I cant run it in my cab :(

Had a good look online and it seems that everyone else has the same issue.

Anyone ever get it working at that resolution?

Can't you run it at 800x600 instead?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,474 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Can't you run it at 800x600 instead?

The cab res doesn't go above 640 x 480 afaik.

• Advertisement

The arcadeVGA can output 800x600
    I've hyperspin running at 800x600 on my polo21 15khz monitor anyway

Interesting, is that what your Windows resolution is set to also?

But isnt 800x600@60hz not 35-37khz and most trisync mons top out at 31khz.

800x600 or higher will just make a high pitch sound and kill the monitor after a while, No?

No Idea
    According to http://www.ultimarc.com/avgainst.html the arcadeVGA has 800x600 @15khz, resolution built in.

My windows resolution is set to 800x600, my hyperspin is also set to that, any emu I've ever tried I ran at this resolution too.
    I've been running it for years without problems

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 2,975 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoGiE

No Idea
    According to http://www.ultimarc.com/avgainst.html the arcadeVGA has 800x600 @15khz, resolution built in.

My windows resolution is set to 800x600, my hyperspin is also set to that, any emu I've ever tried I ran at this resolution too.
    I've been running it for years without problems

I think i've the same monitor and I can't get to do that.:(

• Advertisement

LoGiE wrote: »
    I think i've the same monitor and I can't get to do that.:(

strange, I'll have a look at my driver version in device manager tomorrow and post the version number as I know I had trouble before with resolutions above 640x480 and andy in ultimarc helped me out

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,390 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

Question, im trying to come up with some sort of Bezel setup for my cab im building. Has anyone ever spray painted Glass, or Plexiglass? I was thinking of cutting out a square the size of my monitor screen, then taping that down in the correct position on the glass and spray painting everything outside this. can you spray paint glass?

Yep, done that with my old bezel, lift the card off when paint is still wet and use a black to clean up

cool, whats a black?

keithgeo wrote: »
    cool, whats a black?

Lol iPhone autocorrect
    A blade, not a black

ah right, haha, so just scrape off the paint with a blade, if its over running the square? while its still wet?

Right, so i just got my Audio/Video switch setup for the candy so I can switch between the Hyperpsin PC and X360 at the flick of a switch.

I used this and it works perfectly with no signal degradation and nice clear audio:
    41VQlSP9euL.jpg
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B000ZBHXZ4

Now I'd like to be able do do the same for the JAMMA harness, as in switch between Jpac and real JAMMA pcb's etc.

This looks promising but it powers both JAMMA connectors at once and thats not what I want. I wouldn't want my MVS powering up all the time if I'm just using the Jpac etc.

GBS8118_2in1_MultiJAMMA_Switchboard_640x480_2.jpg
    http://www.jammaboards.com/store/2-in-1-multijamma-switcher-pcb-gbs-8118-/prod_324.html

Anyone know what my best bet is on this front?

I presume you spotted the 6 in 1 version they sell with the wireless remote? It says it cuts power to the active pcb and transfers to the one selected. Not sure if a 6 slot is what you want though.

Andrew76 wrote: »
    I presume you spotted the 6 in 1 version they sell with the wireless remote? It says it cuts power to the active pcb and transfers to the one selected. Not sure if a 6 slot is what you want though.

I've seem them alright. Seems like overkill for what I want and a bit of a space hog inside an already packed candy.

I might just leave it and swap the JAMMA as needed as its not exactly that hard.
    I'm just a bit mad when it comes to these things.

On another note, was it you Andrew that got that Blue glass/acrylic SEGA sign a while back?
    How is powered as a matter of interest as I'm thinking of getting one*.

*One means two

Aye that was me with the Sega sign. Mine has a 2 pin Euro plug on the end that you just plug into the wall socket. Well, I got one of those 3 pin adapters so it plugs in easy, this type of thing: link.

One thing about them is the power cable is it's pretty short, just under 4 ft, so you might need an extension cable depending on where you're going to put it.

• Advertisement

Aye that was me with the Sega sign. Mine has a 2 pin Euro plug on the end that you just plug into the wall socket. Well, I got one of those 3 pin adapters so it plugs in easy, this type of thing: link.

One thing about them is the power cable is it's pretty short, just under 4 ft, so you might need an extension cable depending on where you're going to put it.

Cheers, I think I'll get one. Not going for the SEGA one though but its exactly the same size, build etc.

I went for this sign by the way.

zeldasign.jpg
    e040.jpg

12 inch x 9 inch so I think its the exact same as the SEGA one.

Very nice indeed. :)

Very nice indeed. :)

Yeah, I went for red as I've already got a lot of blue lighting going on in the Nerd Cave.
    Free delivery as well :)

where did you get the sign? looks great

keithgeo wrote: »
    where did you get the sign? looks great

Ebay (Hong Kong)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭Pyongyang

I very nearly bought a SEGA one from .hk the other day. I wanted to use it on my Astro cab where the marquee holder goes but the mounting is all odd apparently. :(

Talking of cabs. I'm very worried. I've just seen a Capcom Mini Cute and my brain just exploded... :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭unky chop chop

Wanty me one of those Sega signs for my Astro as well.
    Pyongyang,
    What problems are there mounting?
    I was thinking that it will line up with the screws on the back of cab and I could make holes.
    Is it to short or something

Yup the holes don't align right. You need to mount it on something and mount that mount to the cab. It can be done, I saw a cab on AO with it but I am not sure how it was achieved.

Failing that some nice Ibara art would be good! :D

• Advertisement

Cheers,thought that was the case
    Think i'll just get those one of those plexi custom marquee holders so.

Well, I decided tonight to re-wire the 2 hacked xbox pads I have as they were connected to a Jamma fingerboard as i was trying something different that just didn't work out.

Was a bit of a pain to get it re-wired to the AMP-UP connector thing but at least I now have a simple plug and play solution.
    All I have to do is lift up the cpanel and disconnect one amp up and connect another and I can play away on the 360.

It's not hard to do as most of you know but it is tedious.

I wired up the "Guide" button on the player 1 360 pad to a hidden button beneath the control panel so I can access that when I need to without using one of the main control panel buttons.

Anyone know were I can get a few(16-24) contact pins for female AMP UP connectors?
    Somewhere in Ireland or the UK that wont charge me 20 quid delivery for a few Euro worth of pins would be best.
    I'd normally get them from starcab or Neo Legend when ordering other parts but these are all i need at the moment and they want to charge me a load on delivery.

These ones:
    CN140.jpg

http://www.starcab.net/product_info.php?cPath=90_201&products_id=673

Cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 220 ✭✭sengoku

Is this the one?

If that is not the one, check the rest of the site, I'm confident that it will be there.

Radionics are based in Rialto, Dublin. You can pick up your order or get it delivered.

Radionics do them, there are a couple of different sizes though

yeah, it looks like the right one but it does come in different sizes.
    I'll need to check it out.

Thanks

• Advertisement

Anyone read the Jap arcade mag "Arcadia"?

Most Jap mags I can read and get the general idea as to what the story is about by the pictures etc. But I just cant make out half of what's going on in Arcadia!

Although I totally get the half naked girls dressed in and out of cosplay that appear every few issues :D

I'd post a pic but that's probably a hangin offence round these parts I'd say.
    Basically its hot girls in clothes you would expect Retr0 to be wearing.

Anyone read the Jap arcade mag "Arcadia"?

Yup. I bought the Cave special which arrived last week. I liked it, though I prefer GameSide.

Going to learn to read, or at least try to read, them soon.

you can also get the Amp up pins on

http://www.giz10p.co.uk/

Uk based site with cheaper shipping.
    used them a few times and they're very good for bits and bobs

Damn, Went to install the new chassis on my machine today and the power connections don't match up :(

dsc5696d.jpg

Anyone know what my options are?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,725 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

If its to be a permanent connection I'd remove both connectors and solder the power lead thru the pcb.

Other options..

Find a matching connector to crimp to the cable side
    Replace the pcb connector with terminal blocks, the cable will screw fix to these
    Solder the cable to the existing connector pins, bit of heat-shrink to tidy it up

Just make sure the polarity is correct before committing to anything, all working with dangerous voltage warnings apply...

• Advertisement

Thanks all,
    I have a compatible power cable on the way.

So hopefully I'll get this chassis installed next week.

So once I've replaced the chassis that will be the nearly ever part replaced with better parts inside the cab.

So my lovely arcade machine will be transformed into a Karaoke machine for the next 2 nights while my girlfriends sister visits from Italy :(

It's a sin I tell ya, should have never shown her those singing games on the Xbox 360.

Looks like its Lady Gaga and Edele in Italian accents for the next couple of nights for me :(:o:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

So my lovely arcade machine will be transformed into a Karaoke machine for the next 2 nights while my girlfriends sister visits from Italy :(

It's a sin I tell ya, should have never shown her those singing games on the Xbox 360.

Looks like its Lady Gaga and Edele in Italian accents for the next couple of nights for me :(:o:mad:

God almighty. Never an inverter failure when you need one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,253 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

You'll need to give your cab a good scrubbing with soap and maybe a few blessings from a priest to get over that.

I might use the horror of Karaoke as leverage in my plot to take over our spare bedroom for more game/tech storage.

I keep sending stuff down to the family home for storage but its a pain when you want something at 3am and its counties away :(

And its always 3am I need something, never 3pm or 1pm or even 5pm, always 3am :confused:

At long last I've sourced myself an Egret 3 2 player 6 button panel(2L12B) for a decent price :D

Few pics from the seller(just the panel, he can keep his buttons and sticks :rolleyes:).

6ede5b1c.jpg
    c5ece061.jpg
    a6c9af3e.jpg

Nice clean reverse on it as well.

bcb04d6e.jpg

Hopefully I'll have it in the next week or so.

I got my new CP plate almost kitted out tonight. Couldn't resit a quick test of the parts I bought. I fitted the buttons and went to fit the sticks but found I had no bolts the right size until I remove my LS-32's from my old CP plate.

The VF plates are snazzy and are a perfect fit to the HOT-2005 plate, so no bothers there having to source MS mount plates.

I had a little play around with the sticks, testing the throw and the general feel of the buttons. They are simply divine.

Sorry lads, everyone on the Interweb seems to prefer LS-32's and Sanwa sticks and buttons. I'm a Seimitsu fan, the buttons are absolutely delicious and I just know these LS-56-01's are going to be absolute bliss for shooting games.

A cute touch was the guy in Portugal, whom I bought the CP plate from, packed and shipped the whole thing in a Seimitsu box. Nice one. I'm an official Seimitsu fanboy now. :o

Hurry up you 2.8mm spades, I need this bad boy fitted pronto!

Any update Pyong on your 56's? Can't remember what the last item you were waiting on was.

No news, still waiting for the order from Germany to arrive. I'm hoping they land this week.

I'm putting together a punch list of what needs to be covered in the video so I leave no stone unturned!

I have all the buttons installed in the new CP and have some new start buttons coming from Germany too. The stock ones are screw-in Sanwa, I wanted a complete Seimitsu CP throughout so I ordered two snap in Seimitsu 24mm buttons, in Astro yellow of course.

More to come, if I can stop playing Ibara and Dai Ou Jou for a second!

Pyongyang wrote: »
    No news, still waiting for the order from Germany to arrive. I'm hoping they land this week.

I'm putting together a punch list of what needs to be covered in the video so I leave no stone unturned!

I have all the buttons installed in the new CP and have some new start buttons coming from Germany too. The stock ones are screw-in Sanwa, I wanted a complete Seimitsu CP throughout so I ordered two snap in Seimitsu 24mm buttons, in Astro yellow of course.

More to come, if I can stop playing Ibara and Dai Ou Jou for a second!

Cool stuff, ah yes I forgot you ordered the non-01 versions. Have to say I've never used Seimitsu buttons, just the sticks.

As I mentioned I ordered those 58-01s from akihabara, was the first thing I've ever ordered from them and I must say their website is sh1te, my order also went missing although they received my paypal no problem funnily enough. :rolleyes:
    In fairness to them they did reply to emails pretty quickly, I'm just hoping they've actually been shipped etc.

No time for Ibara et al these days unfort. Managed 15 mins on Raiden last night before I wasted 10 mins of my life listening to Enda tell me it wasn't our fault we're in this mess (yet we still have to bend over). Downloading a few superplays for Ibara atm to see what they're like.

• Advertisement
Advertisement