Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amazon Prime Bargains - Chat Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,520 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Basq wrote: »
    Sorry, but I can't resist anymore.

This place is a goddamn mess..

.. no chat allowed in a bargains thread, and now we're chatting about VPN's in a chat thread meant to discuss Amazon bargains.

And this is the exact reason these stupid dedicated threads for bargains don't work!

/feedback

:rolleyes:

We need you back as an overlord of our unruliness ðŸ˜

• Registered Users Posts: 45,855 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Marhay70 wrote: »
    Well, to be fair, the chat is not about VPNs exactly but how they might or might not be effective with Amazon Prime. Some people have had better experiences than others.
    Well, to be fair, it is completely off topic and there are dedicated threads for those discussions.

Maybe post an Amazon Prime bargain now.

Basq wrote: »
    Sorry, but I can't resist anymore.

This place is a goddamn mess..

.. no chat allowed in a bargains thread, and now we're chatting about VPN's in a chat thread meant to discuss Amazon bargains.

And this is the exact reason these stupid dedicated threads for bargains don't work!

/feedback

:rolleyes:
    If things were properly moderated the threads would be brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭gussieg

this is relevant, seems the vat is not being taken off anymore

gussieg wrote: »
    this is relevant, seems the vat is not being taken off anymore

It is. You are likely ordering something that is VAT exempt in the UK or above the threshold.

• Advertisement

yes, i just checked again on something else, but was trying to buy a bike seat that was vat free yesterday, but today is full price
    doh, it had gone back to uk address.

yes, i just checked again on something else, but was trying to buy a bike seat that was vat free yesterday, but today is full price

Likely now over the threshold or now being sold by a 3rd party seller.

well this is a bargain to me, holland and barret charge 28 here for this, comes to 15 sterling via amazon, which is about 17.31
    subscribe and save, which can be cancelled right after
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Weleda-Organic-Wild-Rose-100ml/dp/B000K9CEGO/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&keywords=weleda+wild+rose+oil&qid=1614440620&sr=8-2

• Registered Users Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭Sup08

newincity wrote: »
    with 10%

of S&S it comes to £8.47
    Did price increased now?

No chat in the Amazon No Chat Thread.

As I said. The price was for me.
    But if go to checkout, you should get the VAT reduction.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,529 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

S&S

I’ve never used it yet but is it as simple as click it, get the saving and once paid for, go back in and cancel the subscription?

• Advertisement

OmegaGene wrote: »
    Yes

Thanks.
    Another Q.

Where the coupon code people talk about? The women’s nivea for example?

When you look at the item there should be options to sign up to sub and save and that’s the coupon - first time subscribers normally get 30% off so make it worthwhile

Thanks. Must have missed it. Just getting the 10% discount.

Gumbo wrote: »
    Thanks.
    Another Q.

Where the coupon code people talk about? The women’s nivea for example?
    On the item description page where it mentions the 30% off (beside the pic) there's a little box you tick and the code is automatically applied at checkout.

I got that offer for 3.86 euros :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭jharr100

Any mens electric shaver deals at the moment ? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 10,032 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

muffler wrote: »
    On the item description page where it mentions the 30% off (beside the pic) there's a little box you tick and the code is automatically applied at checkout.

I got that offer for 3.86 euros :)

Yes that's how I got the offer, it's amazing. I realised I was running out yesterday and I'd normally stock up in Dealz but then I remembered someone had posted the male shower gel during the week so went looking for a female equivalent. Very impressed with the value on S&S household basics. Will be stocking up on what I can while the VAT is still being removed.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 ChoppersX

Seen on HotUK TP-Link 5 port switch,

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07VWB347G/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_fabc_V5DWST4XYPR5MC4Z520E

Roughly €9.71 delivered

• Registered Users Posts: 8,437 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

Trying to buy a pair of Bluetooth sunglasses, the 'import charge' is being added equivalent to our VAT, fair enough, but the UK VAT isn't being taken off, not fair enough

Are Bluetooth sunglasses VAT free in the UK?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

jharr100 wrote: »
    Any mens electric shaver deals at the moment ? Thanks

Deal: Philips New Series 3000 Wet or Dry Men's Electric Shaver with A 5D Pivot & Powercut Blades, Shiny Black -S3233/52 https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07ZQH4VSC/ref=cm_sw_r_wa_apa_fabc_dlT1_0HW15JVM2FK37WTJK5PK

Trying to buy a pair of Bluetooth sunglasses, the 'import charge' is being added equivalent to our VAT, fair enough, but the UK VAT isn't being taken off, not fair enough

Link to the item?

Link to the item?

There sure is

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B08FKY56XY/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_fabc_6597K9ZVMWWPJ9P254JX

Also applies to

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B08FK5935G/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_fabc_EVRFRDEQHC4K3VF6H45T

• Advertisement

They're over the threshold for VAT exempt.

I didn't realise there was a threshold for the removal of UK VAT, I know I've had it removed on products worth more than that in the past

You’re getting confused

U.K. vat will always be removed but once it reaches the threshold then Irish vat applies so it’s no longer vat free

I think you're getting confused. He's asking why for these items he is being charged both UK VAT and Irish VAT (as an Import Fees deposit) and not just Irish VAT.

For example, this desk correctly costs £59.99 to be shipped to a UK address (£49.99 + 20% UK VAT)

The same desk correctly costs £60.49 to be shipped to an Irish address (£49.99 + 21% Irish VAT as an Import Fees Deposit).

However, these sunglasses cost £29.99 to be shipped to a UK address (£24.99 + 20% UK VAT)

They should cost £30.24 to be shipped to an Irish address (£24.99 + 21% Irish VAT as an Import Fees Deposit), but he is instead being charged £36.29 (£24.99 + 20% UK VAT + 21% Irish VAT as an Import Fees Deposit) and he is wondering why that is.

You’re getting confused

U.K. vat will always be removed but once it reaches the threshold then Irish vat applies so it’s no longer vat free

That's how I thought it worked

The reason I'm getting confused is because usually something on Amazon for £30 would show in the checkout at £25 (20%VAT removed) and then the import fee would come to £5.25 (21% Irish VAT)

The sunglasses shown above are £30 at checkout and an import fee of £6.30 - which would be the equivalent of 21% added to £30

I think you're getting confused. He's asking why for these items he is being charged both UK VAT and Irish VAT (as an Import Fees deposit) and not just Irish VAT.

For example, this desk correctly costs £59.99 to be shipped to a UK address (£49.99 + 20% UK VAT)

The same desk correctly costs £60.49 to be shipped to an Irish address (£49.99 + 21% Irish VAT as an Import Fees Deposit).

However, these sunglasses cost £29.99 to be shipped to a UK address (£24.99 + 20% UK VAT)

They should cost £30.24 to be shipped to an Irish address (£24.99 + 21% Irish VAT as an Import Fees Deposit), but he is instead being charged £36.29 (£24.99 + 20% UK VAT + 21% Irish VAT as an Import Fees Deposit) and he is wondering why that is.

Thank you yes exactly!

The only thing I can think of is if the UK has a 0% VAT rate on Bluetooth sunglasses, therefore the price would be (£30 - 0% UK VAT + 21% Irish VAT) - anybody able to confirm this?

Thank you yes exactly!

The only thing I can think of is if the UK has a 0% VAT rate on Bluetooth sunglasses, therefore the price would be (£30 - 0% UK VAT + 21% Irish VAT) - anybody able to confirm this?

That's not the reason. :)

might possibly be that whoever is selling them is not vat compliant or whatever?

It happens for every pair of sunglasses I put in the basket though, Bluetooth or otherwise

It happens for every pair of sunglasses I put in the basket though, Bluetooth or otherwise

Not for me, e.g. these one reduce to £9.

Not for me, e.g. these one reduce to £9.

Yeah they reduce to £10 for me (which would be a correct reduction for something that's £12 with UK VAT)

• Advertisement

might possibly be that whoever is selling them is not vat compliant or whatever?

Any items that are fulfilled by Amazon are supposed to have the UK VAT removed before applying the Import Fees Deposit.
    For deliveries of goods sold or fulfilled by Amazon to the Republic of Ireland, Amazon.co.uk will remove UK VAT from the item price as listed on the detail page and calculate the applicable VAT and Import Fees during the checkout process based on the delivery address.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=GCXL3PUGPE5UU8PD

Advertisement