Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New God of War

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

Tazzimus wrote: »
    The trials section before they patched it, jesus christ that was face melting.

I still haven't played it since the patch. This summer I plan to do a play through on hard so I'm looking forward to seeing how much easier they made it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

RoyalCelt wrote: »
    I still haven't played it since the patch. This summer I plan to do a play through on hard so I'm looking forward to seeing how much easier they made it.
    I gave it a stab after the patch, replayed all the GoW's for nostalgia etc.

It's not even that hard now, they went the complete opposite direction with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,123 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭RedRochey

I started playing this last week and am loving it so far. I've just done the bit with the dark elves and the bifrost.

I'm just wondering about the side quests, I've seen people saying that you should definitely take time out from the main quest and do these, but I haven't come across many.

I try to explore as much of the map while doing the main quest but there doesn't seem to be much else there. Am I missing out on some or am I still just early in the game?

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭PaddyBomb

Have you got the favours from the dwarves yet? If you do one or two of them, you'll find more side quests in the areas they send you to.

I completed the main story before doing most of the side quests and I never realised how much of the map I didn't explore! So, yeah I'd recommend doing side quests as a break from the main story every now and again. One of the best things is listening to the stories being told in the boat.

Anyone have any recommendations for the best armour, etc for the Valkyries? I'm on the 7th one now and it's a head wreck.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

PaddyBomb wrote: »
    Anyone have any recommendations for the best armour, etc for the Valkyries? I'm on the 7th one now and it's a head wreck.

Just wait until you get to the Valkyrie Queen! Extremely difficult fight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,305 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

The difference between this game and others is that the side quests are totally relatable to the main story, and as a result there are not as many. Rather than busy the place with pointless side quests, they gave a few which were good, and as said above it's mainly from the 2 dwarves and other NPC characters you meet, there's no real NPC's in there just to give side quests iirc.

As for the Valkyries, pretty sure I ended up beating most of them with the Mist armor you get in Niflheim. I beat most of them after the main story, as some of them require serious skill, especially the Queen, but all fights are fair once you learn the patterns.

Nearly finished this now, just have the Valkyrie Queen, 2 Niflheim chests and the some trails left

What are people's favourite runic attacks?

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭PaddyBomb

Jesus, I can't remember any of the names of them now but for the Queen Valkyrie I used that power up that slowed down time. On the Leviathan axe, my light attack was a spin attack and heavy was one where he'd slam the axe into the ground to give frost damage all around. On the blades, my light attack was a spin and my heavy attack was the one where it sends out three waves of fire.

That fight was tough and seriously tested my patience. Good luck with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭weiland79

Decided to play through this again. Playing on Give me God of war difficulty. Pretty tricky at times but doable. Im just at the bit in Alfheim under the lake where the dark elves try to kidnap Atreus. 71% of the trophies done before i restarted with only the axe to fully upgrade ( dont know why i didnt do this on the first playthrough) and the dreaded Valkyries. I never really gave them a proper go first time round.

Finished this last night, think it's the first game I ever got 100% completion in, wasn't that much of a grind.

Beat the Valkyrie Queen last night after about 20 attempts!

Great game and can see why it won Game of the Year.

Do people think there'll be a DLC to address all the Odin stuff or will they keep that for a new game?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

I'd say they're setting up a sequel with all that and the Thor stuff, possibly another trilogy with Odin as the final guy to kill, similar to Zeus.

Ya I also meant to ask why this game is only called God of War and not God of War IV or something different?

Think I did read somewhere they said there won't be any DLCs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,285 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Ya I also meant to ask why this game is only called God of War and not God of War IV or something different?

It's essentially a soft reboot for the series. Taking it out of Greek mythology into Norse mythology, brand new combat system, different tone in terms of story & character, semi-open world, RPG elements... There's enough familiarity to the previous games for fans who played those, but it's also different and new enough to entice new fans to try it without thinking of it a "God of War 4".

So just calling it God of War signals that it's a jumping-on point for people who might never have played (or didn't like) the originals. They probably could have added a subtitle to it (eg God of War: Ragnarok, followed by God of War: Ragnarok II etc), but I don't think it was needed.

Sorry if I'm repeating someone but I love all the little hints it gives to the next game, obviously there is the Valkyrie bit which isnt so subtle, but also mimir also mentions how freya was asking him how to get her Valkyrie warrior wings back,
    I'm guessing cause she wants to fight you, and then Thor showing up at the secret ending as wel
    l

• Advertisement

Yeah, I reckon it will be Thor for 2 and Odin for 3, but I've no doubt they will have some amazing stuff in the next 2 games. And they had to leave Greece, considering he murdered all of them!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

Quick question on this Gents,

I reckon I'm about halfway through the game, without spoilers, I've been back home, and am reunited with an ally, In the shops, there is gold armor, that I cant purchase due to not having elements of the required currency, and purple armor that, while theoretically better than what I have, reduces my stats in a negative way.

If I buy these and then upgrade them, should they end up at a higher level than they were before? I dont want to waste currency on something that wont end up as a benefit - i hadn't really been paying attention to armor upgrades, and even though I havent had much hassle with any enemies so far - the exception being a few of the world rift enemies, and the travellers, but the 2 Valkyries I've found so far have made absolute bits of me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,224 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Went back to this and started NG+. Forgot how satisfying the combat was.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 423 ✭✭DarC_Kn1ght

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 245 ✭✭joficeduns1

First playthrough for me on the enhanced PS5 version. Have just beaten the electric dragon now, this game is phenomenal. I feel like I've almost out all future games at a disadvantage, as I didn't really play any solo PS4 stories.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,811 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Must go back to try and beat Sigrun. She is all thats between me and the platinum and is rage inducing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Tips for all the Valkyrie:
    When they hover in the air about to do their nasty attack just throw the axe at them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Markitron

Vicxas wrote: »
    Tips for all the Valkyrie:
    When they hover in the air about to do their nasty attack just throw the axe at them.

A couple of arrows from Atreus works too

This. Atreus is your best asset in the game - that's why he has a cooldown. If you upgrade him right he makes the boss fights very easy.

He is crucial in the harder Valkyrie battles, aiming the axe can be a bit tricky when there is a lot going on, and you only get one shot. It is much easier to stun them with his arrows.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,909 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

This makes me want to play it again. I only played through once and ignored all the side stuff, upgrades. So much in here i never even knew about.

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    This makes me want to play it again. I only played through once and ignored all the side stuff, upgrades. So much in here i never even knew about.

A really enjoyable platinum (apart from Odins Ravens, the green birds he was struggling to hit in the video, they can get f*cked). The gameplay is so great and the amount of collectibles/puzzles isn't so cumbersome that it takes ages either. Planning a (non-platinum) replay myself before the sequel comes out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭skerry

The first encounter with The Stranger is glorious in 4k 60 fps. Only started it up for a look at the update but might have to keep playing through, it's so damn smooth

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

I'm downloading on the PS5 cant wait!

I have a friend who didn't get the platinum because of Odin's Ravens which is bizarre to me. Imagine defeating all of the valkyries and then thinking a few collectibles is a bit too far haha. tbh I just think he couldn't be bothered. They're easy to spot and you can hear the chirping a mile away. Worse comes to worse just use a guide although I personally didn't need one.

I think the main issue was just hitting the f*cking things (though there were some which being green and hiding in forestry made finding them a bit of a pain). Between distance, flight paths and the arc of the axe throw as it drops, hitting some of them was a damn nightmare. At least with the Valkyries there's an enjoyable challenge in it.

Penn wrote: »
    I think the main issue was just hitting the f*cking things (though there were some which being green and hiding in forestry made finding them a bit of a pain). Between distance, flight paths and the arc of the axe throw as it drops, hitting some of them was a damn nightmare. At least with the Valkyries there's an enjoyable challenge in it.

There was nothing enjoyable about that last one

• Advertisement

Markitron wrote: »
    There was nothing enjoyable about that last one

There was if you just drop it down to the easiest difficulty because you've already lost to her 20 times and getting nowhere close and it's the last trophy you need for the platinum and you just want to finish the game because you have that meeting next week that you really need to do some prep work for.

Not that that's what I did or anything...

There was if you just drop it down to the easiest difficulty because you've already lost to her 20 times and getting nowhere close and it's the last trophy you need for the platinum and you just want to finish the game because you have that meeting next week that you really need to do some prep work for.

Not that that's what I did or anything...

I take it back, that actually does sound like fun

I take it back, that actually does sound like fun

Even then it still took a decent number of tries to beat her. She's f*cking savage...

Even then it still took a decent number of tries to beat her. She's f*cking savage...

I think I did it on normal, and yes it took me a load of tries. I think I got a guide that told me how to spec specifically for the fight and exactly what to do, still took ages.

using Atreus to interrupt her attacks is absolutely essential.

Is there much detail about the new game? Ragnarok isn't it?

RedRochey wrote: »
    Is there much detail about the new game? Ragnarok isn't it?

No info at all bar the name really (yes, Ragnarok). Was said to be released in 2021, but I think most assume that's not going to happen and will probably be pushed back to 2022. Might see some new info in the upcoming State of Play events from Sony starting next month.

No info at all bar the name really (yes, Ragnarok). Was said to be released in 2021, but I think most assume that's not going to happen and will probably be pushed back to 2022. Might see some new info in the upcoming State of Play events from Sony starting next month.

I don't think Ragnarok is even confirmed to be the name, tbh I would be surprised if it is considering how attached that word is to Marvel atm.

Cory Barlog was dropping some hints about the State of Play so I think a cinematic teaser is a good bet at least.

I don't think Ragnarok is even confirmed to be the name, tbh I would be surprised if it is considering how attached that word is to Marvel atm.

Cory Barlog was dropping some hints about the State of Play so I think a cinematic teaser is a good bet at least.

I thought the name was confirmed but you're right, the teaser says Ragnarok is coming and the runes on the symbol say Ragnarok, but it's not confirmed as the name.

Damn, now we're further away than we were 10 minutes ago... :D

I don't think Marvel using the Ragnarok name would have any impact though. This game is going to feature Thor in a big way regardless, plus the reveal about Atreus from the first games ending, which would be the bigger bridges for people to cross.

I thought the name was confirmed but you're right, the teaser says Ragnarok is coming and the runes on the symbol say Ragnarok, but it's not confirmed as the name.

Damn, now we're further away than we were 10 minutes ago... :D

I don't think Marvel using the Ragnarok name would have any impact though. This game is going to feature Thor in a big way regardless, plus the reveal about Atreus from the first games ending, which would be the bigger bridges for people to cross.

Yea I get your point, IMO this would actually be more of a reason to give it a different title, differentiate where you can and all.

Tbh I don't think Ragnarok will actually occur in this game, I think the game will be set during Fimbulwinter with Ragnarok this ominous inevitable event on the horizon - kinda like the reapers in ME2. The 'Ragnarok is Coming' tagline just reinforced this for me.

• Advertisement

Yea I get your point, IMO this would actually be more of a reason to give it a different title, differentiate where you can and all.

Tbh I don't think Ragnarok will actually occur in this game, I think the game will be set during Fimbulwinter with Ragnarok this ominous inevitable event on the horizon - kinda like the reapers in ME2. The 'Ragnarok is Coming' tagline just reinforced this for me.

Yeah I think the same, this game, even if they do call it Ragnarok, could be about the events which set Ragnarok in motion then the third game is Ragnarok itself.

Ragnarok seems to be *the* big event in Norse God's mythology, so it'd make sense to have it for the third game.

I spotted this thread.

I bought this game from Argos at Christmas for around 8.47

I must say, its one of the best games I have played ever, outside of the witcher!
    voice acting is good, feels like interaction really going on.
    Game play is good, fighting can be tough or button mash and both are fine.

Some grinding can happen, but its a good game.

I will take any opportunity to say that this was my PS4 game of the gen, and up in my top 5 games ever. It was perfect to me!

I will take any opportunity to say that this was my PS4 game of the gen, and up in my top 5 games ever. It was perfect to me!

Finished replaying it a few weeks ago. Just absolutely sublime throughout.

It was great, Im still not fully finished but its great !

It was great, Im still not fully finished but its great !

You haven't finished it until you have killed the final Valkyrie. Good look with that!

Btw, after the credits roll, go back to your house.

• Advertisement

You haven't finished it until you have killed the final Valkyrie. Good look with that!

Im playing on a hard setting, I only just hit level 5 in my gear and just came through Thamurs course and fought the first one.
    Zeus on a pogo stick she was hard.

I got the Fire realm gate and beat all the challenges except the valkyrie there, she just faces stomps me with no effort.

I went back home.
    Good ending bit.

Never fixed the roof hole mind you 😂😂

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Valkyrie's always throw people until you figure out they're achilles heel.

Vicxas wrote: »
    Valkyrie's always throw people until you figure out they're achilles heel.

I beat them all. Once I started blocking better. Sigrun was though, so used some resurrection stone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,114 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

In advance of Ragnorak, I started replaying this a couple of evenings ago. My god it is an astonishingly great game. First time out I kinda blitzed through it but this time around Im really taking my time and exploring everything, some of the set pieces in it are stunning. This or Ghost of Tsushima are my two games of the PS4 era.

• Advertisement
Advertisement