Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Pope slapping the randy birds away !

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭Marhay70

The Pope was walking away when she grabbed him, he wasn't expecting it. He looked as though it surprised him and hurt him. He batted her hand to release his hand. Calling that retaliation is absurd.

Your very obvious gripe with the Pope is skewing any hope of you looking at this situation in a reasonable way.

I don't have any gripe with the Pope. The RCC puts him on a pedestal and depicts him as the nearest thing to Jesus on earth. Given what I've learned about Jesus over the years I don't see Him reacting in the same way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Marhay70 wrote: »
    Did Jesus call down murder and mayhem on those who were crucifying him? No, his plea was that they be forgiven. Francis is supposed to be the nearest thing you can get to Jesus on this earth, he ceased to be a "normal person" when he took on the mantle of Pope.

Absolute tosh. The Pope himself has said that he is just a man. A man will feel pain and react.

He is also nothing like 'the nearest thing to Jesus', but the apostolic successor of Saint Peter and no more divine nor less human than any other man or woman.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭Mundo7976

Wonder what would've happened if she were a man instead!

_Brian wrote: »
    Pope can’t be sacked.
    He’s infallible so he obviously did no wrong.

But seriously, she was bang out of order and a slap on the hand was light compared to what would have happened if the bodyguard behind had stepped in.

The Pope himself is not infallible, it's his teachings which are supposed to be infallible and like a lot of doctrine in the RCC it is something which came relatively recently to the party.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭wexandproud

He was putting his hand out for people to take it and she did, she just held it a bit more enthusiastically. Hardly a capital offence.
    What about all the usual c**p he spouts about tolerance, didn't show much of it there.
    go and watch the video again . He had greeted a few people and one lady was holding his hand , he just started to turn away and the other women grabbed his hand , he did not offer it to her to shake

The Pope himself is not infallible, it's his teachings which are supposed to be infallible and like a lot of doctrine in the RCC it is something which came relatively recently to the party.

Not his teachings. Only when he speaks ex cathedra to define a doctrine concerning faith or morals to be held by the church. The solemn declaration of papal infallibility was in 1870 and only applied once since (Assumption of Mary; 1950).

Absolute tosh. The Pope himself has said that he is just a man. A man will feel pain and react.

He is also nothing like 'the nearest thing to Jesus', but the apostolic successor of Saint Peter and no more divine nor less human than any other man or woman.

I am not disputing that the Pope is just a man, any more than some would argue that Jesus was just a man during His time on earth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭Better Than Christ

_Brian wrote: »
    Pope can’t be sacked.

Depends. Once he loses the dressing room, he's on borrowed time. The board probably has a replacement lined up already - more than likely Pardew or Allardyce. I've heard rumours that Guus Hiddink might be brought in for the rest of the season on a caretaker basis.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭pablo128

go and watch the video again . He had greeted a few people and one lady was holding his hand , he just started to turn away and the other women grabbed his hand , he did not offer it to her to shake

If you look at the woman to her left, who had just held the popes hand, the look of shock on her face says it all.

• Advertisement

Not his teachings. Only when he speaks ex cathedra to define a doctrine concerning faith or morals to be held by the church. The solemn declaration of papal infallibility was in 1870 and only applied once since (Assumption of Mary; 1950).
    Splitting hairs,

I am not disputing that the Pope is just a man, any more than some would argue that Jesus was just a man during His time on earth.

No, you're still at it with the comparisons. The humanity of the Pope bears no resemblance to Jesus made man. The Pope is a representative but fully human, not blessed with divine powers, and carrying all the weaknesses and faults of a man.

Splitting hairs,

Just making it clear. Seeing as you corrected a humorous remark but left it incomplete. And far from splitting hairs; as the Pope writes and utters teachings every week that are not infallible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

We’ve all seen the footage and it’s not really that bad. But in a lot of jobs if you slap out at another person you would not be kept. Should the pope be sacked??
    No. She should be slapped for assaulting an old man.

Hearing rumours he'll be gone by Monday. Surprised Wenger hasn't been linked with the job.

Just making it clear. Seeing as you corrected a humorous remark but left it incomplete. And far from splitting hairs; as the Pope writes and utters teachings every week that are not infallible.

I think you know what was intended and in that case. are splitting hairs

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 838 ✭✭✭qm1bv4p8i92aoj

I don't have any gripe with the Pope. The RCC puts him on a pedestal and depicts him as the nearest thing to Jesus on earth. Given what I've learned about Jesus over the years I don't see Him reacting in the same way.

You'd want to go away and do a bit more learning.
    You are coming across awful silly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,661 ✭✭✭quokula

The woman had likely travelled a long way and waited a long time. The pope was shaking everyone’s hands prior to hers and it would have been a reasonable expectation to shake his hand as she was next in line, before he turned away. She was obviously overcome in the moment and grabbed his hand. She shouldn’t have done that, but the pope should be held to a higher standard given that he lives a life of luxury on the back of encouraging the delusions of devout followers like her.

His reaction was way over the top and the anger in his face that she dared to try to shake his hand was pretty disturbing. I’m not surprised he apologised and I am surprised so many are defending him and trying to redefine an over enthusiastic misguided handshake as some kind of physical assault. She was in the wrong, but so was he. And he’s supposed to be an example.

No, you're still at it with the comparisons. The humanity of the Pope bears no resemblance to Jesus made man. The Pope is a representative but fully human, not blessed with divine powers, and carrying all the weaknesses and faults of a man.

Christianity is divided on whether Jesus on earth was God and man, I tend to bat on the opposite side to RCC on this one, not because I am a Christian but because I am a realist.

You'd want to go away and do a bit more learning.
    You are coming across awful silly.

Really and where would you have me do my learning?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,155 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

quokula wrote: »
    The woman had likely travelled a long way and waited a long time. The pope was shaking everyone’s hands prior to hers and it would have been a reasonable expectation to shake his hand as she was next in line, before he turned away. She was obviously overcome in the moment and grabbed his hand. She shouldn’t have done that, but the pope should be held to a higher standard given that he lives a life of luxury on the back of encouraging the delusions of devout followers like her.

His reaction was way over the top and the anger in his face that she dared to try to shake his hand was pretty disturbing. I’m not surprised he apologised and I am surprised so many are defending him and trying to redefine an over enthusiastic misguided handshake as some kind of physical assault. She was in the wrong, but so was he. And he’s supposed to be an example.

She grabbed his arm and yanked it . You can clearly see him wince in pain . I am no fan of the Church or the Pope but he is an old man with painful arthritis . She pulled his arm and not very gently no wonder he was bloody cross . He is just a man who feels pain and can get a fright . His aids should have been quicker and protected him

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    She grabbed his arm and yanked it . You can clearly see him wince in pain . I am no fan of the Church or the Pope but he is an old man with painful arthritis . She pulled his arm and not very gently no wonder he was bloody cross . He is just a man who feels pain and can get a fright . His aids should have been quicker and protected him
    I'm not going to hold the Pope to a higher standard in this case because being Pope does not make him a higher being. He had a normal human reaction and I'm not going to hold it against him. It would be different if he was 50 years younger and in full health. A man in his prime wouldn't flinch at it but someone that old, frail and pain is going to get a shock and react to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,601 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

She owes him an apology , she yanked his arm and pulled him .

You’d think the pope would be glad of a little tug every now and then

He has arthritis and aids????

Poor man, no wonder he’s upset

Akrasia wrote: »
    You’d think the pope would be glad of a little tug every now and then

I am sure he would . But it wasn’t a hug was it ?

He has arthritis and aids????

Poor man, no wonder he’s upset

Yes he does have aids . He doesn’t have A.I.D.S.

Yes he does have aids . He doesn’t have A.I.D.S.

Aides

His aids should have been quicker and protected him

Medication slows the progress of the condition nowadays.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,202 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

Most popes in history have been evil.

Not all but most. Nearly all had hundreds of people tortured or killed.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/pope-asks-for-pardon-on-torture-burnings-1.1145046

POPE ASKS FOR PARDON ON TORTURE AND BURNINGS.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,283 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

BS, making excuses for him, she should sue him for assault. He, above anybody should be expected to restrain himself and you could see in his face afterwards that he was fuming.
    If he was a professional football player he'd be sent off the field and banned for even feinting to strike somebody. Bloody hypocrite.

If she had grabbed a president or member of the royal family, I'd imagine she'd have had more than an old man batting her hand away to contend with.
    How was he to know she wasn't some crazed suicide killer holding onto him while she detonated a bomb or had chemicals in her hand?
    Fair play to him for protecting himself.

To thine own self be true

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭2forjoy

I disagree. He should not have slapped her and walk away so quickly.
    He showed her disrespect . An apology is too late.

• Advertisement

If she had grabbed a president or member of the royal family, I'd imagine she'd have had more than an old man batting her hand away to contend with.
    How was he to know she wasn't some crazed suicide killer holding onto him while she detonated a bomb or had chemicals in her hand?
    Fair play to him for protecting himself.

He is meant to be a spiritual leader of a Church that preaches patience tolerance turn the other cheek.

The british royal family preaches classism ...hereditary rule. Its what they stand for i would expect them to be assholes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Typical Christian. Follow Jesus but not become Christ like.

YFlyer wrote: »
    Ah he is only human ....he ain't all bad ...but it would be great if he didnt act so high and mighty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,363 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Pope should have apologised for eff all, she was lucky that was all she got the ignorant wagon, could've easily had something dislocated by the Swiss Guard for herself.

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Pope should have apologised for eff all, she was lucky that was all she got the ignorant wagon, could've easily had something dislocated by the Swiss Guard for herself.

Those words could been uttered by Jesus himself

Larbre34 wrote: »

Everyone else there was doing the same thing though. They were all pulling his hand.

says more about the church if all their followers are ignorant wagons than anything..

THOSE IGNORANT WAGONS ARE YOUR PEOPLE POPE !

Those words could been uttered by Jesus himself
    He did once call a gentile a dog once...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,929 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

SeaFields wrote: »
    Saw it earlier. There was something up with her alright. Everyone else is smiling, she's stern faced. Even blessing herself looks staged. She looks at the camera when doing it - it's like to blend in. She continues to shout after he gets away from her. Haven't seen any of the media reports translate what she shouts but it'd be interesting.

I don't think there was anything sinister about her. Just a bit of a zealot and overawed by being in his presence.

I'm sure she meant no harm but regardless, you don't just grab someone like that.

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    I don't think there was anything sinister about her. Just a bit of a zealot and overawed by being in his presence.

I'm sure she meant no harm but regardless, you don't just grab someone like that.
    People grab each other all the time. By the pussy...interesting to see how its not just 'friendly' with a pope though.

When that journalist was slapped on the behind ..she didn't slap the guy back ....and took the proper peaceful route ....and everyone said it was an overreaction.

The pope over reacted here. Poor judgement in the moment. He obviously isn't a people person. He never came across as such.

Priests (the normal ones) are not touched by anyone ....so they tend to be sensitive to it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭skooterblue2

Security were useless.

Swiss Guard are supposed to be top end, Its hard to be invisible and maintain a presence. The Swiss Guard should have spotted her a mile off and blocked her. Going to be tough cheddar in the guard room tomorrow morning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭skooterblue2

Mundo7976 wrote: »
    Wonder what would've happened if she were a man instead!

Swiss guard would have you bundled you into a snatch bag and taken for an interrogation. Considering previous attempts on Popes lives and the level of training they get on exchanges (Secret Service, Italian intelligence/special forces). She got off light.

People grab each other all the time. By the pussy...interesting to see how its not just 'friendly' with a pope though.

When that journalist was slapped on the behind ..she didn't slap the guy back ....and took the proper peaceful route ....and everyone said it was an overreaction.

The pope over reacted here. Poor judgement in the moment. He obviously isn't a people person. He never came across as such.

Priests (the normal ones) are not touched by anyone ....so they tend to be sensitive to it.

What? I'm genuinely not sure what everything before "the pope overreacted" has to do with the subject at hand.

Bottom line is he was roughly grabbed and pulled at by an "overenthusiastic fan" let's say. He was visibly shaken and shocked by this and lightly slapped her hand in response as he tried to pull away from her. It's not like he took a swing at her.

I think his reaction was completely understandable and justified given the circumstances - and it has zero to do with him being pope either.

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    What? I'm genuinely not sure what everything before "the pope overreacted" has to do with the subject at hand.

Bottom line is he was roughly grabbed and pulled at by an "overenthusiastic fan" let's say. He was visibly shaken and shocked by this and lightly slapped her hand in response as he tried to pull away from her. It's not like he took a swing at her.

I think his reaction was completely understandable and justified given the circumstances - and it has zero to do with him being pope either.

We shall have to wrap him in cotton wool so. And preferably flush him away.

We shall have to wrap him in cotton wool so. And preferably flush him away.

Or people in general could remember that the object of their affections (be it pope, a singer or anyone else) are not a rag doll to be pulled out of.

Seems much easier and logical to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

YFlyer wrote: »

Jesus told the religious of His day where to get off more than once. You forget He even got a whip out to deal with the trouble makers.

• Advertisement

Jesus told the religious of His day where to get off more than once. You forget He even got a whip out to deal with the trouble makers.
    No ..that was people doing business in the temple.

He basically whipped the money lenders. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

No ..that was people doing business in the temple.

He basically whipped the money lenders. :rolleyes:

I know the story ! Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 393 ✭✭PeteEd

Jaysus is it animal magnetism? He’ll need a stick to beat them off next !

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/social-affairs/religion-and-beliefs/pope-apologises-for-slapping-arm-of-pilgrim-who-grabbed-him-1.4128239?mode=amp

She was trying to give him a wee tug ! Naughty lass !

Could've been worse, he could have bucked one of her children, that would've taught her not to be molesting a fragile old man

PeteEd wrote: »
    Could've been worse, he could have bucked one of her children, that would've taught her not to be molesting a fragile old man
    Best post on boards today!

Poor fragile pope

also

not the pope mind but

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭PonchoMcHoncho

I know the crazy one was grabbing at him (Not unlike a Chinese tourist at an all you can eat buffet...) But he's quite the angry and aggressive man for a pope.

You'd think he'd be a bit more easy going knowing he's gonna be fast tracked into eternal paradise in the not too distant future.

• Advertisement
Advertisement