Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Y2K - Where were you on Dec 31st at 11:59pm in 1999?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭mr_edge_to_you

Yahoo chat room. Curious to see if the internet broke down.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

Clontarf pier, watching the city fireworks from far far away. No idea why we decided to do that.

The next day we drove to my fiancee's folks in Donegal and a hen pheasant flew in front of the car, breaking my headlight. But she came off worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,780 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

I was in Sydney down at the rocks watching the most amazing fireworks display over the harbour bridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭pajor

12 year old me was patiently waiting for the end of mankind and the rise of the machines.

I was 8 then, but pretty much the same. I may have already been asleep though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭Melania Frump

Had a house party. Woke up the next morning with a fella with a guitar asleep on my couch. No idea who he was but by all accounts he was a great entertainer. Happy days :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,483 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

Somewhere in NY. Can't really remember. I got a kiss I think :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,509 ✭✭✭Mike Guide 69

Hardly exciting but I was back in my parents place ringing in the new year,took some photos of my folks with the kitchen clock in the background ,striking 12, it was a lovely moment ,especially as my dads health has now deteriorated over the years by dementia,i look back on it with fond memories.......

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,331 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

I was 8 so can't remember that much. I do remember though my mother got too drunk and started screaming abuse at me and my two older sisters. I also remember there being broken glass and my father coming to the house to rescue us. Thankfully at midnight we were safe at his house and rang in the new year in front of a nice open fire and watching some fireworks outside.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

In Roscommon getting majorly in the horrors.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭Melania Frump

cjmc wrote: »
    Somewhere in NY. Can't really remember. I got a kiss I think :)

Did she promise you Broadway was waiting for you?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

In this same mortal form, eeking out sustenance. Where were you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

Super-Rush wrote: »
    In Roscommon getting majorly in the horrors.

So a normal day with the Rossies?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭AulWan

I was in bed with a raging fever due to flu. I remember trying to watch the countdown but I was so out of it with my temperature so high that I was hallucinating.

21 days, that flu lasted.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,724 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Can't remember if I went out or not. Think so but it obviously wasn't that memorable :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭Ruben James

Sometime after the countdown, my pal and I met a close neighbour on the avenue, out with her millennium candle and she said "we have to wake jack", who was her husband and she was separated from, still living with. Went up to wake Jack and he kind of Ill say politely told us all to fook off. :D went to a house party after that which we also got prematurely kicked out of!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

Ask your Ma or your 10 year old sister

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭Ruben James

Edgware wrote: »
    Ask your Ma or your 10 year old sister

Ask your own

• Registered Users Posts: 7,774 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Stuck on a Stena Line ferry in Dublin port.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

Ask your own
    No need. She always goes out dogging on New Years Eve

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Spent most of earlier part of day in call centre for IT company waiting for sh*t to hit fan, started to slowly realize it wasn’t and got off

So met mate, got lift to local in back end of nowhere and drank all night....no recollection of the clock turning 12

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,009 ✭✭✭nomdeboardie

Ger Roe wrote: »
    I was at home, watching TV and awaiting the expected news reports of total chaos breaking out across the world.

That was my second disappointment that year.... I had also taken the day off work on September 13th, just in case the moon was blasted out of orbit on that day.... but it didn't. ;)
    One of the few benefits of aging is becoming inured to the constant stream of expected apocalypses :cool: That, and realising it's the apocalypse you don't expect that gets ya :p

• Registered Users Posts: 7,646 ✭✭✭54and56

Glasson.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭sullivlo

We had a house party and all of the neighbours came. I was 13 or so, and tasked with getting everyone to sign the page that came with the millennium candle.

I still have the page. Some incredible memories of that night. Old school multigenerational house party. Many on the list are dead now. I remember them all fondly.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,541 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Lying on the couch in my friends parents house covered in puke after throwing up all over the kitchen and the sitting room.

My friends parents thought it would be a good idea to head out on new years eve and leave two 16 year olds at home with a shed full of Carlsberg and Guinness.

His dad came home a bit after midnight, saw me on the couch and thought I was dead. Got me awake only to find my mate passed out upstairs on the bathroom floor, also covered in puke.

I have a very weird hazy memory of dancing around the kitchen with a sweeping brush trying to clean up vomit.

As you can probably imagine, that story is still brought up any time I bump into them :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭TK Lemon

I was 6 years old and celebrating NYE in my house.

As I am doing right now. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,314 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

house party in sligo. most pubs and clubs were empty in the town as they were charging loads just to get in.

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭BuboBubo

In the pub with my boyfriend got drunk, did the countdown thing. Band playing, the place was packed. He proposed, I accepted. :D

20 years on, we stayed in this year. Had a few drinks at home. Time flies doesn't it.

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Cushtie

In my Local pub. Rural Kerry village. Place was packed to the rafters. Every one from age 15 to 105 having a whale of a time. Seem to remember there were about 15 of us dancing on a pool table when the clock struck 12. Great times.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,438 ✭✭✭✭kippy

I was working in a nightclub at home. Made more money that night that I've made any day since.
    Was meant to work the following night too but ended up going on a session with a cousin..spent the lot. Great free and happy times.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,669 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

I was babysitting for a neighbour. They didn't have Sky, so there wasn't much on television. As the clock struck midnight, I was watching a woman firing a ping-pong ball from her vagina on Graham Norton's Y2K special.

Almost wished if stayed in, but I didn't have a TV back then, so just as well I went out.

Advertisement