Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Y2K - Where were you on Dec 31st at 11:59pm in 1999?

Options
  • 30-12-2019 3:55pm
    Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,969 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I actually don't even remember where I was. I remember some of the hype leading up to Y2K but it fizzled out rather quickly. Anyone got any interesting stories related to this date?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭PicardWithHair

I was over in some cousins in Meath watching Pat Kenny host some bollix show .... biggest letdown ever ...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭Poochie05

I was in bed with the flu. I was so sick I couldn’t even drag myself out of the bed to join in the countdown.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭Bigbagofcans

Y2k thread here on AH from 20 years ago:
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=377

Nothing to get too excited about now :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 16,494 ✭✭✭✭nullzero

At a house party, was in town earlier in evening around Merrion Square, I think Ronan keating and Brian Kennedy were singing together, probably why I left the area, dreadful stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭sunbeam

At home sitting in the dark as the influx of tourists to Achill had overloaded the power grid. At least we got good use out of our commemorative millennium candles...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Working on the main door of Fitzsimmon's nightclub in Templebar, and making a nice few quid for it too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 615 ✭✭✭Letwin_Larry

on an extremely cheap late night flight to Spain.
    they were meant to fall out of the sky but heck i couldn't resist the price.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

12 year old me was patiently waiting for the end of mankind and the rise of the machines.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,082 ✭✭✭Trigger Happy

I was hammered in a field near kells county meath. That night is a bit of a blur. As was most of the late 90s.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭Ger Roe

I was at home, watching TV and awaiting the expected news reports of total chaos breaking out across the world.

That was my second disappointment that year.... I had also taken the day off work on September 13th, just in case the moon was blasted out of orbit on that day.... but it didn't. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭Naggdefy

Had flu and rang in NYE with Pat Kenny and Liz Bonin. Pat's dancing to ring in the New year was constipated beyond belief.

Joe Dolan, rip, was singing from Killarney, I think, earlier on RTE, but his voice was off that eve.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

Was in the local lashin' pints all evening, then some joker put his head in the door around 11 o clock and said he had a minibus organized to take people to a local community hall where there was going to be a new years disco. We headed on and discovered the place was practically empty. The drink was warm and served in plastic cups. Got flootered and shifted a young one of 17. Those were the days.

Oh to be 30 again.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Working on a tech support line for American users

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭Better Than Christ

I was babysitting for a neighbour. They didn't have Sky, so there wasn't much on television. As the clock struck midnight, I was watching a woman firing a ping-pong ball from her vagina on Graham Norton's Y2K special.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

We were in Nevada Smith bar in Limerick city. Was on the tear since 12 noon. Took about 2 hours off. We realise at around 12:30ish that it was the unofficial new millennium. Decided to celebrate then.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,298 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

Naggdefy wrote: »
    Had flu and rang in NYE with Pat Kenny and Liz Bonin.

there's someone I wouldn't mind 'ringing' in the new year...

I was probably in my bedroom listening to tunes on 2fm, remember they switched over to Pete Tong on BBC, with the bell from Big Ben, then some Beatles song to bring in the Millennium

I was 14, with 6 Dutch gold, at a house party. Got caught drinking by my parents that night too.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Did Jules Holland have his show then?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,631 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

In a hot tub, in my eldest sister's house in Vancouver Canada, with my middle sister and my sister and her partner sipping champagne about to ring in 2000. :)

Light dusting of snow on the ground and we watched fireworks going off in the distance. Hard to believe it’s 20 years! :o

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,975 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Being disappointed by how **** RTcoverage was before switching to watch London on Sky News

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,775 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Dying sick with the winter vomiting bug. The only thing that rang in the new year that year for me was my arse.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

Arguing with the grown ups that the millennium started in 2001. Ah young teenage shootersf, who thought everyone was like him and just wanted to figure out and debate the truth about things, quite the vocal atheist at the time too :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭gifted

Hill Grove hotel in Dingle.....5 of us went down for a few days.......paid over the top entry charge and it was half empty.....was ****e....we stayed half an hour and legged it back down to Walkers pub where we were earlier in the night.....way better crack

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Watching a Nicolas Cage movie. It was either Conair or The Rock. Those 2 & Face Off were what 10 year old me considered rewatchable :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭El Tarangu

As the clock struck midnight, I was watching a woman firing a ping-pong ball from her vagina on Graham Norton's Y2K special.

Jesus, but that show was great before the BBC got a hold of it.

Mist pubs in Dublin closed early that day, I was working till 2pm, then we went to a local bar for a few hours, till it closed.
    At midnight, a good few of us were sitting in an old part of road (they were building the last part of the m50 at the time) a big semi circle shaped empty road, overlooking Dublin, from the foot of tick nock road.
    We had few drinks, stereos were out & we watched fireworks all over Dublin City.
    Was probably my most enjoyable nye ever!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,969 Mod ✭✭✭✭iamstop

I asked a friend, apparently I was at some party in Castleknock. I really don't recall. Cellphone cameras were not really a thing back then so I doubt there is any photographic evidence to job the auld memory banks either.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭mr_fegelien

Back in ****ty Africa living in poverty. Was about a year and 6 months old.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

Paid 20 quid into an overcrowded nightclub (came with crap champagne) to see in the “millennium “.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭ofcork

In the only nightclub in cork that was open that night mangans.

Advertisement