Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Metro South vs Luas

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,158 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

salmocab wrote: »
    Your talking like everyone that uses the GL between Sandyford and the city are objecting to metro. It’s a limited group.

I'm not, hence the 'manipulative politicking and expression of narrow self interest' remark. The needs of the many are being deferred in favour of the wants of the few. The real shame is that it can be easily explained to regular Green Line commuters:
    • You won't be able to board at peak times in a few years
    • Why? Because look at the mass of residential units being built directly on the green line
    • The Rethink people are lying to you on the amount of time the line will be out of operation due to works
    • Micheal McDowell and others opposing it have direct biases and conflicts of interest

But that case isn't being made by the NTA. Individuals with their head screwed on are losing the battle of ideas.

My view? **** them. Harsh as it may be. Let's cut them out of the plans, build Metro North essentially and take it from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭LeChienMefiant

From https://data.oireachtas.ie/ie/oireachtas/members/registerOfMembersInterests/seanad/2018/2018-03-09_register-of-members-interests-seanad-eireann_en.pdf

My bolding for emphasis

MCDOWELL, Michael

1. Occupations etc. .............. Senior Counsel: Law Library, Four Courts, Dublin 7.
    2. Shares etc..................... (i) Shares in unit linked managed fund: Bar of Ireland Retirement Trust Scheme: Pension Fund; (ii) Shares (40 shares jointly held): 33 Old Broad Street (Holdings)(Malta) PLC: Property Investment Company.
    3. Directorships.................. Nil
    4. Land (including property) ... (i) 9 Manders Terrace, Ranelagh, Dublin 6: Letting; (ii) Charleston Road, Ranelagh, Dublin 6 - shared interest in open space: Vacant; (iii) Sheehaun, Lavagh, Roosky, Co. Roscommon: Holiday House; (iv) Plot of land, Lavagh, Roosky, Co. Roscommon: boat mooring
    Yes, but Michael McDowell's home is also metres from there. It has also been used as a business address in the past.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,541 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Irish Times saying tonight that metro south of Charlemont to be scrapped completely.

Gombeen politics win out again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

Pick a different route then. Go more south west.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,790 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

To Dingle?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

No funding available for that. As a result we're going to end up with a metro terminating in Charlemont, which is pretty damn crap as a public transport proposal.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,541 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

What a shambles. Hope people go mental on the southside about what they will be deprived of due to NIMBYs that will still get the benefit of the line a little further north on the southside!

Horrible, parochial, clientelist politics.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

What a shambles. Hope people go mental on the southside about what they will be deprived of due to NIMBYs that will still get the benefit of the line a little further north on the southside!

Ireland. A piss up in a brewery is about the only thing we CAN organise.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,496 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Irish Times saying tonight that metro south of Charlemont to be scrapped completely.

Gombeen politics win out again.
    colour me suspicious, but this could be 'a how can we save funds to make up what we need for the hospital' move.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,296 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

colour me suspicious, but this could be 'a how can we save funds to make up what we need for the hospital' move.

No they are talking of tunneling further than planned, if it was purely to save money they would have stopped it shorter. It’s purely to save the hassle of some protests by gutless fools running the country.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Tarabuses

It is a disgraceful decision and very short sighted.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,843 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

I use the Luas from various stops near Cabinteely and I'm pleased with today's decision. Closing the green line for frankly any length of time would have been unacceptable to me and tens of thousands of others and frankly unbearable to the roads of the south city and county.

Yes I can concede that failing to prepare the site for future underground works while the GL was built 15 odd years ago was a typical irish corner cut and lack of forward planning, this would not excuse closure of the green line for any duration now. And yes the tunnel bore should be continued south west to serve the currently congested Rathmines/Terenure/Templeogue/Knocklyon corridor, where densities are sure to increase in the next decades. A new P&R/bus/metro interchange could be easily accommodated at Tymon.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Shane Ross can continue to get to the Dail by bus well after 10am when everyone else is actually at work.

Larbre34 wrote: »
    I use the Luas from various stops near Cabinteely and I'm pleased with today's decision. Closing the green line for frankly any length of time would have been unacceptable to me and tens of thousands of others and frankly unbearable to the roads of the south city and county.

Yes I can concede that failing to prepare the site for future underground works while the GL was built 15 odd years ago was a typical irish corner cut and lack of forward planning, this would not excuse closure of the green line for any duration now. And yes the tunnel bore should be continued south west to serve the currently congested Rathmines/Terenure/Templeogue/Knocklyon corridor, where densities are sure to increase in the next decades. A new P&R/bus/metro interchange could be easily accommodated at Tymon.

Unfortunately the Luas will quickly enough be at capacity and people using the green line will he even more put out in the future when the tie in happens and it’s closing a busier Luas than now and will likely take longer as there are then less options of how and where to do it.

Why cant they install line crossovers at interim points on the route and at peak times begin some intermediate services at Stillorgan, Balally, Cowper etc? I understand higher frequency will adversely affect the road traffic crossings but thats a natural evolution of public transport prioritisation.

We need roads, and tram lines that do not stop each other.

Look at the UK, USA many many huge city's etc.

What is happening here is crazy to be honest as they are doing nothing to improve transport.

Why cant they install line crossovers at interim points on the route and at peak times begin some intermediate services at Stillorgan, Balally, Cowper etc? I understand higher frequency will adversely affect the road traffic crossings but thats a natural evolution of public transport prioritisation.

They will have maximum frequency soon enough so that wouldn’t help at all. There are some points for crossing tracks but with the frequency they’ll be running it would be difficult to swap lines to fit in between services. Make no mistake this is kicking the can down the road for someone else to sort out

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,510 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

We need roads, and tram lines that do not stop each other.

Look at the UK, USA many many huge city's etc.

What is happening here is crazy to be honest as they are doing nothing to improve transport.

Well we certainly wouldn't want to be copying most of the US! Absolutely terrible public transport for the most part. Car is king, feck the environment, terrible, impersonal cities where you can't walk anywhere. All very depressing.

salmocab wrote: »
    They will have maximum frequency soon enough so that wouldn’t help at all. There are some points for crossing tracks but with the frequency they’ll be running it would be difficult to swap lines to fit in between services. Make no mistake this is kicking the can down the road for someone else to sort out

Maybe, but as I've said part of the solution must be to improve PT services on all routes parallel too and reduce each catchment. I detest the political line 'we are where we are', but we are and the closure of the Green Line for any period, for any reason, would've been totally unacceptable.

Maybe, but as I've said part of the solution must be to improve PT services on all routes parallel too and reduce each catchment. I detest the political line 'we are where we are', but we are and the closure of the Green Line for any period, for any reason, would've been totally unacceptable.

It will still happen though and almost certainly under more difficult circumstances. The only improvements nearby will come under bus connects but just like this it will probably be fudged anyway.

• Advertisement

bk wrote: »
    Well we certainly wouldn't want to be copying most of the US! Absolutely terrible public transport for the most part. Car is king, feck the environment, terrible, impersonal cities where you can't walk anywhere. All very depressing.

I meant the way the network of roads are but to obviously work better here and segregation of PT.

Everything is so slow here and takes too much time.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,503 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Wait until you find all trams at Cabinteely are jam-packed with all the new folks at Cherrywood and we'll see how pleased you are.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,560 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

It's going to happen eventually anyway though. And it will happen when the line is even busier now.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,850 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

It wouldn't have been "the closure of the Green Line" for starters. Partial closures, possibly rolling station by station as work was done with the remainder of the services running - doesn't sound quite as scary as "closed" so that's why the anti groups never mentioned it.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭ohographite

How many places along the green line have homes under construction or almost under construction, as I know Dundrum, Laughanstown and Cherrywood have them, but are there other places too?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,256 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

How many places along the green line have homes under construction or almost under construction, as I know Dundrum, Laughanstown and Cherrywood have them, but are there other places too?

https://twitter.com/yimbydublin/status/1101621955936092165

• Registered Users Posts: 17,843 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

That above image is way off. No mention of six hundred homes for old Dundrum shopping centre. 1500 on old Dundrum central mental home site and tons of other smaller schemes. If you were to believe that map , the amount of extra capacity the luas will get over the next few years, would soak it up easily!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,256 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Idbatterim wrote: »
    That above image is way off. No mention of six hundred homes for old Dundrum shopping centre. 1500 on old Dundrum central mental home site and tons of other smaller schemes. If you were to believe that map , the amount of extra capacity the luas will get over the next few years, would soak it up easily!

Yes, there's a few missed out, they admit that in another tweet, they just did a manual trawl through the various councils for applications, and if they didn't find it on there, then they didn't include it.

I've long maintained that the NTA's predictions surrounding the Green Line are hopelessly optimistic, and nothing has changed my opinion since. The report into the Green Line that they just released makes no mention of updating their models to take account of the fact that the law around building heights has changed, so I really can't see Green Line lasting until 2038, it's a ridiculous idea.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,850 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

It's all OK, some incredibly argumentative guy on Twitter insisted that every single unit in Cherrywood and Sandyford will be rental and somehow only rented by people who can walk to work in those estates.

Cherrywood is intended to be majority sold to tenants, as it happens

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,843 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

CatInABox wrote: »
    Yes, there's a few missed out, they admit that in another tweet, they just did a manual trawl through the various councils for applications, and if they didn't find it on there, then they didn't include it.

I've long maintained that the NTA's predictions surrounding the Green Line are hopelessly optimistic, and nothing has changed my opinion since. The report into the Green Line that they just released makes no mention of updating their models to take account of the fact that the law around building heights has changed, so I really can't see Green Line lasting until 2038, it's a ridiculous idea.

Given the big enough increase luas capacity that is coming in 2021. I think that will do us until cherrywood is finished. It might even cope with that. What i think will be the difference , is you throw a metrolink at Charlemont, all of a sudden there are a major amount of new destinations, that is what will cripple it in my opinion and that is what? Ten years off ... there are a lot of factors, bray and northwest extension being big ones, but they have been kicked miles down the road!

Advertisement