Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

ACL Surgery

• 20-05-2019 10:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭

My son did his ACL. The physio made an appointment for him with Ray Moran in Santry about 3 weeks ago. I rang his office today and was told that he might get to look at the file on Wednesday and it would be 3 to 6 weeks before he would get an appointment to see him.

I know Ray Moran is one of the top Surgeons for ACL repair but I'm just wondering if another Surgeon might do the surgery quicker and get him back on road to recovery.

I remember a mate of mine got his ACL repaired by Brian Hurson a good few years ago and he was top notch as well

Just wondering if we should consider alternatives such as Brian Hurson

Comments

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 227 ✭✭Dubs1990

Tomjim wrote: »
    My son did his ACL. The physio made an appointment for him with Ray Moran in Santry about 3 weeks ago. I rang his office today and was told that he might get to look at the file on Wednesday and it would be 3 to 6 weeks before he would get an appointment to see him.

I know Ray Moran is one of the top Surgeons for ACL repair but I'm just wondering if another Surgeon might do the surgery quicker and get him back on road to recovery.

I remember a mate of mine got his ACL repaired by Brian Hurson a good few years ago and he was top notch as well

Dan whiters,
    Denis Collins,
    Tom McCarthy
    Mihai vioreanu
    Michael Donnelly

All these do ACL daily and work in SSC , with an ACL it's a year to full recovery so weeks won't make much of a diffrence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 290 ✭✭JimmiesRustled

Tomjim wrote: »

I've done mine a few times. Id suggest maybe trying Maurice Neligan.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

I went to Mr Moran in March 2016 and was operated on in the April. I spent the interim building up the muscles around the knee to make it stronger after surgery. Did they advise that this could be a delay between seeing the file and your son? Try to get friendly with his receptionist and see if that helps.

I hope your son is ok. I did mine skiing and wasn't in pain afterwards and was still mobile. I was completely restricted after the surgery and it took a lot longer to come back to myself than I thought I would. It took a month to come off crutches and 6 months to walk pain free. It is now 3 years and I back running and cycling but my knee still doesn't like knocks and jolts and so will still swell. Not telling you this to worry you but just something to be aware of. Everyone heals differently though and has very different experiences.

If you do go to SSC I would highly recommend using their physios as they are the experts. I originally went to a local one as didn't want to be asking for lifts back and forth to Santry but this is what I should have done. They start building back up the muscles straight away so that the pressure comes off the knee and you use your quads and hamstrings.

As your son is, I presume, young he could have none of these problems. I was older so my confidence took a huge knock and something I wouldn't have thought would happen. It took me 18 months to return really to running.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 TheCruiser

Hi guys,

I ruptured my ACL skiing and it’s likely there is more damage in there too, as I mangled it pretty badly. I’m going for an MRI scan tomorrow.

It happened during a gap in my insurance cover, so I’m looking at getting ACL surgery on the public system or paying cash privately.

Does anyone know the rough waiting time for HSE public system and/or what Santry clinic charge for cash patients?

Thanks for your help guys.

Advertisement