Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Exercise to help reduce belly?

Options
  • 11-05-2019 7:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭

I think the answer is probably no, but are there any exercises that will help fat loss in the belly area?

I've lost 15kg in the last few months, through calorie counting and strength training.

Currently at 83kg, and in the normal bmi range for the first time in 20 years!

I'm pretty happy with the results so far and I will continue, but is there anything I can do to try to focus on reducing belly fat? Or is it a case that it will happen as I continue to loose weight?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,512 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Unfortunately, you're correct. Answer is no. Spot fat reduction isn't possible without surgery.

That said, I'd speculate that sorting out any posture issues you may have could help with the appearance of the belly. Do you perhaps slouch or are aware of any pelvic tilt?

Congrats on the loss btw

• Registered Users Posts: 18,501 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Nope.
    Overall loss is the only answer and even ****tier the belly might be last to go, men for example are genetically prone to belly fat.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭colm_c

Unfortunately, you're correct. Answer is no. Spot fat reduction isn't possible without surgery.

That said, I'd speculate that sorting out any posture issues you may have could help with the appearance of the belly. Do you perhaps slouch or are aware of any pelvic tilt?

Congrats on the loss btw

Posture is pretty good, belly is not massive now, but still there.

_Brian wrote: »
    Nope.
    Overall loss is the only answer and even ****tier the belly might be last to go, men for example are genetically prone to belly fat.

Figured as much, damn genetics!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,155 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

colm_c wrote: »
    I think the answer is probably no, but are there any exercises that will help fat loss in the belly area?

I've lost 15kg in the last few months, through calorie counting and strength training.

Currently at 83kg, and in the normal bmi range for the first time in 20 years!

I'm pretty happy with the results so far and I will continue, but is there anything I can do to try to focus on reducing belly fat? Or is it a case that it will happen as I continue to loose weight?
    15 kg that’s some going fair play to you!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭Transform

essential core work here, do all that - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Fr8TWtrnLI&t=5s

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭GeorgeOrwell

15k is amazing! Well done.

As others have said, belly fat is sometimes the last part of you which shows any visible change - whatever regime you're currently using is working, so keep doing whatever you're doing, stay disciplined, and it will slowly change just as the rest of your body has changed.

Again, well done - next time you're in the gym, pick up a 15kg weight and walk around with it for a few minutes. Notice how heavy it is? Well, your body was carrying that all the time!

15k is amazing! Well done.

As others have said, belly fat is sometimes the last part of you which shows any visible change - whatever regime you're currently using is working, so keep doing whatever you're doing, stay disciplined, and it will slowly change just as the rest of your body has changed.

Again, well done - next time you're in the gym, pick up a 15kg weight and walk around with it for a few minutes. Notice how heavy it is? Well, your body was carrying that all the time!

More like 18kg now :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 183 ✭✭pvt6zh395dqbrj

That's amazing. I'm trying to achieve the same thing! Could I pick your brain for more info?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭weemcd

Keep going the way you're going op, unfortunately the areas that people want to lose the weight on the most; belly, thighs etc. are the last to go.

Reducing carbs can lead to a reduction in bloat and water weight, but there's a lot of variables in there, and that isn't fat loss either.

Increasing core exercises will build abdominal muscle, but will not be visible until that last stubborn bit of fat is shifted. Only time I've ever had proper abs was when I was training minimum 3 times a week and being super disciplined with what I ate.

15kg is tremendous, keep going.

• Advertisement

That's amazing. I'm trying to achieve the same thing! Could I pick your brain for more info?

Sure, go for it, although there is no magic, I eat less and do a weight training program 4 days per week.

Discipline is the hardest part, you need to stick with it and create a lifestyle change it's the only way to maintain the weight loss.

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭Withrax

You could give intermittent fasting a go, it supposedly helps losing weight in stubborn areas

Advertisement