Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2019 Regular Season Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,823 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

More proof that pitcher wins is the stupidest stat in baseball in that Diaz got the 'w' last night.

Am liking the new proposed Mets bullpen that have Diaz and Familia as long relief (6th, 7th innings) only, and Wilson/Lugo for the back part of the games. How many times must we Met fans run head first into the nearest concrete wall with Diaz failing to close and Familia giving up runs. Can't really remember a closer as truly awful as Diaz, Met's haven't had a history of great closers (Armando Benitez, John Franco, Billy Wagner), but usually they're not this disastrous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Igotadose wrote: »
    Am liking the new proposed Mets bullpen that have Diaz and Familia as long relief (6th, 7th innings) only, and Wilson/Lugo for the back part of the games. How many times must we Met fans run head first into the nearest concrete wall with Diaz failing to close and Familia giving up runs. Can't really remember a closer as truly awful as Diaz, Met's haven't had a history of great closers (Armando Benitez, John Franco, Billy Wagner), but usually they're not this disastrous.

Maybe not a bad idea

https://twitter.com/michaelgbaron/status/1170332775804747776

Pain in the arse giving up one potentially of the best prospects in the league for a 6th/7th inning reliever though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

At this stage should the Mets just have their own thread on here?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭ShyMets

I like your thinking😀

8-10 wrote: »
    At this stage should the Mets just have their own thread on here?

I think what's happening is that the Mets seem to be the only team with more than one regular poster here (there's 3 of us at least). Most of the other regular posters are the only fan of their team so there's not as much back and forth when they post something.

ShyMets wrote: »
    I like your thinking��

Anyone's free to set up a thread if they like but I don't think there's enough of use here to have a thread for the teams that are represented here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭circular flexing

I think what's happening is that the Mets seem to be the only team with more than one regular poster here (there's 3 of us at least). Most of the other regular posters are the only fan of their team so there's not as much back and forth when they post something.

I think that's exactly what's happening. I don't mind it because I like to talk baseball no matter who the teams are.

I think that's exactly what's happening. I don't mind it because I like to talk baseball no matter who the teams are.

Yeah, I'm the same. I try and throw my tuppence in on other teams as well but my knowledge will only only be minimal so it won't be the same back and forth as if it were two Cubs fans or fans of two rivals going at it.

I think us Mets fans are used to pain and misery so probably post a bit more, sort of like therapy...!!!! We need more miserable fans on here, don't just be posting when your team is on an 8-2 stretch. Come on and rant when they lose 5 in a row.

In other news, Red Sox v Yankees is this week's Sunday night game AGAIN.

Surely one of the team in the wild card hunt would have been a better option. Nationals v Braves for example. I know it's all about ratings but every time there's a weekend series between these two it's automatically the Sunday night game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

Network is going to get more revenue from ads from that matchup.

MLB is also going back up against NFL from this week so they need that marquee matchup, especially when SNF is Steelers @ Pats this week.

kmart6 wrote: »
    Network is going to get more revenue from ads from that matchup.

MLB is also going back up against NFL from this week so they need that marquee matchup, especially when SNF is Steelers @ Pats this week.

Ah yeah, as I said I know it's all about ratings it'd just be nice to see the Red Sox/Yankees in a Sunday afternoon spot for a change. With that SNF match up and the position of the Red Sox, the ratings are going to struggle anyway.

A little harsh if what he was using it for is true

You think that's harsh? Look at Golden Tate for the Giants in the NFL. He got a 4 game ban for a drug that he was taking to help with his fertility to conceive a kid Would have more sympathy for that than a professional player who isn't keeping his weight down.

mlb.com 'predictor tool' saying de Grom wins the Cy Young. I don't see it - another year on a team not making the playoffs with maybe an 11-8 record (3 more wins in I think 5 more starts.) It could happen, it'd be cool.

https://www.mlb.com/news/degrom-cy-young-case-is-stronger-than-you-think

• Advertisement

Igotadose wrote: »
    mlb.com 'predictor tool' saying de Grom wins the Cy Young. I don't see it - another year on a team not making the playoffs with maybe an 11-8 record (3 more wins in I think 5 more starts.) It could happen, it'd be cool.

https://www.mlb.com/news/degrom-cy-young-case-is-stronger-than-you-think

Well Max Scherzer just stole a base!

(I know, I know, it has no impact on the CY)

Dave Dombriwski has been fired by Boston less than a year after winning the World Series. I know it’s been a (relatively) poor year for Boston but surely he deserved another shot.

Very hard to repeat as WS winners in baseball and being in a division with the Yankees doesn’t help.

Dave Dombriwski has been fired by Boston less than a year after winning the World Series. I know it’s been a (relatively) poor year for Boston but surely he deserved another shot.

Very hard to repeat as WS winners in baseball and being in a division with the Yankees doesn’t help.

I would have expected Boston to have at least made the WC. He did make a couple of errors though - giving Pearce and Eovaldi new contracts was an awful idea in hindsight (Pearce in particular).

Good to see David Ortiz throwing out the first pitch in Boston last night.

Big blow for the Brewers with Yelich going down for the year.

• Advertisement

Not that it was unexpected, but the Dodgers won their 7th NL West title in a row last night.
    There's a good article on ESPN discussing how this feat was achieved, not just because of their financial backing.
    It listed the players that they picked up cheaply (like Chris Taylor and Justin Turner) and players they drafted

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/27590714/judge-dodgers-seven-straight-titles-not-world-series-crown-chasing

When you prevent an out of the park home run but they score an inside the park home run instead

https://twitter.com/NBCSPhilly/status/1171580149000744971?s=20

Also 1044-1044 with the Giants.

On September 11th, Mets had 9 runs and 11 hits.

(oh they won, too)

A bad couple of days for knees. First Yelich, now Otani

https://twitter.com/CBSSportsMLB/status/1172253351695663104

Scoring 2 runs on a strike is pretty rare I'd imagine

https://twitter.com/Dodgers/status/1172321854167502848?s=20

Pete Alonso was 0-3 so decided he needed to change things up a bit so shaved off his moustache mid game.

https://twitter.com/Cut4/status/1172229717619089409?s=20

Didn't help. He ended up going 0-5.

17, 14 and 13*. The amount of runs scored by the Cubs against the Pirates this weekend.

*and they're only in the 7th inning today.

Edit - 17, 14 and 16 it ended up.

AL Wild Card race is....wild...no better word for it.

As it stands (W/L):

Oakland 89/60
    Tampa 89/61
    Cleveland 87/63

Really really hope the Athletics make it

• Advertisement

AL Wild Card race is....wild...no better word for it.

As it stands (W/L):

Oakland 89/60
    Tampa 89/61
    Cleveland 87/63

Really really hope the Athletics make it

NL kind of tight at the moment too to be fair. 2 from 3 it looks like

Washington 82/66
    Chicago 81/68
    Milwaukee 80/69

Mets and Phillies a further 2 and 3 games back and probably out of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,476 ✭✭✭Comic Book Guy

Just seen a stat that Gerrit Cole has struck out 300 batters so far the year. Wow!!

Germán on administrative leave for an accusation of domestic violence.
    Looks like Yankees will be without him for the post season.

MLB testing robot umpires during the Arizona Fall League

https://www.mlb.com/news/major-league-baseball-tests-robot-umpires-arizona-fall-league

Padres fired their manager. Guess someone had to be held accountable for missing the playoffs by a long way despite them spending big on Machado.

Padres fired their manager. Guess someone had to be held accountable for missing the playoffs by a long way despite them spending big on Machado.

Manager always carries the can. But some of their players didn't exactly cover themselves in glory

ShyMets wrote: »
    Manager always carries the can. But some of their players didn't exactly cover themselves in glory

Hoping that we're saying the same about the Mets once the season ends.

• Advertisement

Joe Madden will probably be looking for a job in about a week's time too.

Another blown lead in the 9th for the Cubs.

Another blown lead in the 9th for the Cubs.

There goes the Cubs Wildcard chances. Madden to the Padres, maybe.

Oakland with a rare loss last night but Rays got beat too. Indians back in it:

A's - 94/62
    Rays - 92/64
    Indians - 92/64

Going to be a tense final week

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,769 ✭✭✭Doodah7

Cubs lose six in a row including the last five by one run. Swept in a four game series at Wrigley by the Cards for the first time since 1921!!

After a couple of years of success, the Cubs have finally returned to form with heartbreak in September.

Doodah7 wrote: »

After a couple of years of success, the Cubs have finally returned to form with heartbreak in September.

It's the hope that kills you

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,380 ✭✭✭The Reservoir Dubs Anchorman

3 ..

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭rebelyell99

Looking forward to the postseason starting ,love the wild card games ,should be a great atmosphere in Nationals park presuming they secure the number 1 spot.Oakland may host the Al wild card it will be interesting to see what kind of a crowd is there for that

Looking forward to the postseason starting ,love the wild card games ,should be a great atmosphere in Nationals park presuming they secure the number 1 spot.Oakland may host the Al wild card it will be interesting to see what kind of a crowd is there for that

Yeah, looking forward to the post season too. Would love a game 163 on Monday too although probably only a chance of that now in the AL.

Nats officially eliminated Phillies from WC. Nicely done.

Oakland with a rare loss last night but Rays got beat too. Indians back in it:

A's - 94/62
    Rays - 92/64
    Indians - 92/64

Going to be a tense final week

A's lose since the above, Rays win 2 in a row:

A's - 94/63
    Rays - 94/64
    Indians - 93/64

I have tickets to the wild card game in the Coliseum next week but that game will only happen there if A's finish top or level top of those 3

• Advertisement
Advertisement