Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Off Site WW / Mafia Games Discussion

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Jack Moore

Pter wrote: »
    I volunteer Jack.

You voulenteer who ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

Pter

Pter

Ok I’ll agree
    Now fix the stuff in mu :)

You sure?

No backsies :D

You sure?

No backsies :D

I’m trying to be good
    Now fix mu
    It’s like the relations are watching

Done. You are gonna kick me off the team again now aren't you?

Done. You are gonna kick me off the team again now aren't you?

No
    You have many attributes that I admire
    Let’s do this

The ironic thing is this is the exact kind of thing that would have happened to the odd couple

*Roll credits, odd couple theme song outro*

The ironic thing is this is the exact kind of thing that would have happened to the odd couple

*Roll credits, odd couple theme song outro*

• Advertisement

Odd couple position is closed
    We are that couple that break up but get back togtmether

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,025 ✭✭✭duffman13

I would have little to no interest in watching a game closely if not involved but watching you two on a team will be worth it. Post the link when the game goes live please :)

duffman13 wrote: »
    I would have little to no interest in watching a game closely if not involved but watching you two on a team will be worth it. Post the link when the game goes live please :)

Yeas we are awesome

Also don’t tell banjo but peter is my alt

What's an alt and why am I it.

What's an alt and why am I it.

Alternatotive account
    On mu you can alt if you want
    On boards youbmighy get a 6 months ban
    So I was saying you are a jack alt
    Which would be funnie
    But banjo would be cross
    So pretend you aren’t a jack alt

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 52,127 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

duffman13 wrote: »

:D It just got a whole lot more interesting too.

Hydraphobia (Jack Moore and Pter) go up against The Irish FBI (sKeith & Necro) in the same game on 26th November...

It's gonna be awesome :D:D

• Advertisement

Exactly what we needed. A common enemy to unite us.

Pter wrote:
    Exactly what we needed. A common enemy to unite us.

That common enemy is MU... right?

:pac:

Necrominus wrote: »
    That common enemy is MU... right?

:pac:

Lol

Necro and I have been chatting and the game on wc 18th doesnt suit either of us, so we are probably going to ask for our team to be subbed.

Necro and I have been chatting and the game on wc 18th doesnt suit either of us, so we are probably going to ask for our team to be subbed.

Me and Keith could do it I’d say

• Advertisement

Necro going to post later in MU. If you wanna suggest ye sub in when he does, no probs by me.

Necro going to post later in MU. If you wanna suggest ye sub in when he does, no probs by me.

If he subs secret squirrel out it goes to the subs list

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,404 ✭✭✭✭sKeith

Jack Moore wrote: »
    Me and Keith could do it I’d say

I can't afford the time to do two of these :(

If you guys still want to do SS but the timing is just off, then just ask for a swap on the hydra thread, asking does anyone other then the 26th want to swap into the 18th, and that'll get you into another date.

sKeith wrote: »
    I can't afford the time to do two of these :(

If you guys still want to do SS but the timing is just off, then just ask for a swap on the hydra thread, asking does anyone other then the 26th want to swap into the 18th, and that'll get you into another date.

You’ll have plenty of Time when me and my buddy off ye on n1

sKeith and Jack Moore have taken mine and Pter's place for next week's game. Looking forward to see how the Not Squirrels do against international competition :D

Necro wrote: »
    sKeith and Jack Moore have taken mine and Pter's place for next week's game. Looking forward to see how 'Not the Squirrels' do against international competition :D

fixed the name. NTS not TNS :D

Best of luck lads!

fixed the name. NTS not TNS :D

Ooops.... :pac:

Is the game 4 showdown still on ?

Jack Moore wrote:
    Is the game 4 showdown still on ?

Sure is. Monday week I believe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,421 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

I played in the smash Bros game on MU there this week. I did okay. Game is still live so I won't say much. What I will say though is that I don't have the time commitment to play MU properly. I made 100 posts in 3 days and I was almost the lowest poster. Whereas here I would be grand lol.

Think I'll stick to boards lol. :D

Rikand wrote:
    I played in the smash Bros game on MU there this week. I did okay. Game is still live so I won't say much. What I will say though is that I don't have the time commitment to play MU properly. I made 100 posts in 3 days and I was almost the lowest poster. Whereas here I would be grand lol.

Yeah the posting seems to be off the charts on MU these days. Even for me :pac:

Rikand wrote: »

Think I'll stick to boards lol. :D

Boards is better
    But we need more people
    New subs and active players

Yeah the posting seems to be off the charts on MU these days. Even for me :pac:

When I logged in day1, 1 player already had over 500 posts..... That's nuts

Jack Moore wrote: »
    Boards is better
    But we need more people
    New subs and active players

If we could 40-50 players for a game here I'd bring my bigger game designs. I have one 132 player game design. But that's too massive and may never see the light of day lol

Rikand wrote:
    When I logged in day1, 1 player already had over 500 posts..... That's nuts

Yeah in the feedback thread after the World Champs there was a lot of talk about perhaps putting a post count limit (other than I think an hour prior to EOD) per phase in place.

Mainly down to my friend MP7 and his..

2k posts in the qualifier
    1.5k posts in the WC
    Circa 1k posts in the final

:eek:

Policy lynch that dude is what I'd be doing:P

Yeah in the feedback thread after the World Champs there was a lot of talk about perhaps putting a post count limit (other than I think an hour prior to EOD) per phase in place.

Mainly down to my friend MP7 and his..

2k posts in the qualifier
    1.5k posts in the WC
    Circa 1k posts in the final

:eek:

Policy lynch that dude is what I'd be doing:P

over on mu they have a university forum, with articles, one is called information overload, written by soah.

well, here is a reply that mp7 and that 500 poster needs to read
    I think that people can solve this problem just by being more aware of it while they are playing. I'm always keeping an eye on my post count and comparing it to the other players, and I try to make sure that my post count reflects my level of contribution to the game. If some players in the game are spamming while others are struggling to keep up, I try not to contribute to the problem, and I focus on making my own posts as useful as possible. When not much is happening, I lower my standards so that I can just get more stuff into the thread to generate more discussion.

On 2+2, people came to believe that posting in stream of consciousness was the #1 way to prove that you are a villager, and that proving you are a villager is the most important part of being a villager. And this led to absurd situations where people with the highest post counts in games hadn't even read all of the posts, because they were too busy posting to take the time to actually read stuff that they missed. It does no good for everyone to prove that they're a villager through their posting if no one else is reading it.

And people aren't going to clear you just for post volume unless they think you're a complete scrub. I remember one game on 2+2, which I didn't play in, where a guy posted 250 times on Day 1 only to get mislynched. A number of people laughed at what a terrible lynch it was because he was obviously a villager, but for players in the game who might have limited time available, properly digesting 250 posts by a single person in a single day is a large task. I'm willing to bet that a large percentage of those 250 posts were low-content posts that could be easily produced by a player of any alignment. It's just not possible for anyone to have 250 different deep thoughts to share on Day 1 of a game. And so I can easily see how many of the players in the game could get paranoid about a guy who is running up his post count without having content to justify it. There could be some really good thoughts in there somewhere but they just get lost in the sea of posts. People have to make quick decisions on who to vote for at the end of the day and 250 posts by a single player is way beyond what anyone has time to read in that spot, and that leads to people making confused votes. When people reread your posts, they want to see how your reads evolved, whether you followed up on things, etc, and that can't be done if it is a chore just to make it through all of your posts.

If you're a villager then you don't want the other players to have to spend anymore time than necessary worrying about your role. The time they spend reading your posts is time they are not spending reading posts by the wolves. So when they do read your posts, you should at least make sure they are helpful and informative. If a player spends hours reading your posts and the only thing they learn is that you're probably a villager, then they're still no closer than before to actually knowing who to vote for. So try to help them out by keeping an appropriate signal:noise ratio so that it's actually worthwhile for other people to read your posts.

cliff,.. i'm with you, policy lynch the no content 250-500 day 1 posters.

their signal to noise ratio is way too low to be useful to the village and their posts will wipe you out before end game if you keep them around

What an absolute hypocrite :pac:

90 per cent of his posts were off topic nonsense in green text.

The other 10 per cent was pure Bollocks.

How he made the final still baffles me to this day.

What an absolute hypocrite :pac:

90 per cent of his posts were off topic nonsense in green text.

The other 10 per cent was pure Bollocks.

How he made the final still baffles me to this day.

ehh, quote is credited correctly to soah...

i say that mp7 and the other guy rikand mentioned would benifit from reading it.

• Advertisement

ehh, quote is credited correctly to soah...

i say that mp7 and the other guy rikand mentioned would benifit from reading it.

It’s probounced soo

Also she was too powerful so she had to go
    So she did

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Tigger WW

me and keithy won our game btw

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Tigger WW

So there was gonna be a show down between myself and Petr and Keith and Necro in game 4 of the international hydra game.
    I think it starts on the 28th it’s 36/12 format so no real restrictions on people being able to get a few posts in
    However Pter doesn’t want to play anymore so before I take a sub from the approved list on Mafia dose anyone want to avail of this once in a lifetime opportunity ;)

2 out of 2 wins off site yay

• Advertisement

sKeith wrote:
    2 out of 2 wins off site yay

Just the 1 for me but what a stomp on the wolves it was :D

Day 2 win, 2 wolves lynched and the final one conceded!

Thingyman wrote:
    Hi there!

It's time for Season 6 of the Mafia Championship*. I was hoping you might be willing to help me get the word out to your fellow community members and maybe oversee the nomination process and such? I will of course check in as regularly as I can to answer any questions

The invitation: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1E9x7nJkSPmv1ZtSKFdSmLsvD4DQoX13i2MA9VG5p4W4/edit

The invitation (bbcode version): https://docs.google.com/document/d/1QEJwZulKKsEH9QjL0bGmq8BqYxkxCUG6-geM9MighfM/edit

Your help would be greatly appreciated <3

INVITATION TO THE MAFIA CHAMPIONSHIP (SEASON 6)

Ahoy there! :)

I’m very excited to invite your community to participate in Season 6 of the Mafia Championship.

*please note that the term championship is used very loosely and is not meant to mean championship at all, but the term is more meant to mean fun times and populous voting.

INVITATION TO THE MAFIA CHAMPIONSHIP (SEASON 6)

Ahoy there! :)

I’m very excited to invite your community to participate in Season 6 of the Mafia Championship.

The Mafia Championship is an annual forum-based tournament series that pits representatives from various online Mafia (aka Werewolf) communities against one another as they compete to determine the Internet’s greatest forum Mafia player. Each participating community democratically elects one person to represent them and be their “Champion”.

The tournament first started back in 2013. Since then, 270+ different communities and 50+ different nationalities have been represented.

It’s a super fun event that has created many new friendships and close bonds between communities. I hope that you would be interested in taking part :)

1. DO YOU ACCEPT THE INVITATION?

If your community wishes to participate, please confirm your participation to Thingyman as soon as you can to ensure yourselves a spot. Currently, the plan is to accommodate 187 communities this season (last season featured 170 communities), and if interest is high enough we will expand even further to 204.

If your community agrees to participate, the deadline for selecting your representative is April 26, but the sooner the better.

The games will take place on Mafia Universe. If it’s okay, I can link directly to the general discussion thread regarding this topic on Mafia Universe.

Important notes
    • You may decide yourselves how you want to elect your representative, but we highly recommend some sort of democratic process (public nominations followed by a poll usually works out well).
    • In addition to electing a representative, you should also name an alternate who will be asked to step in if the first choice needs to back out.
    • Your representative should be prepared for having to read upwards of 600 posts per 24 hours during the early stages of the game. Additionally, there’s a requirement that each player must make at least 10 posts per Game Day. Only active players should apply/participate. I repeat: Your chosen player needs to be able to promise a good amount of activity on a daily basis.

2. SEASON 6 FORMAT

The tournament structure
    • 187 communities will participate, each sending one representative.
    • QUALIFIERS: 11 Qualifying Games will be played, consisting of 17 players each. I.e. every representative plays in one Qualifying Game. The players themselves vote post-game to determine who is deserving of advancement. 1st place will advance directly to the Finale Game (i.e. 11 of the 17 finalists are found this way), while the 2nd place finishers will advance directly to one of the two Wildcard Games.
    • WILDCARDS: A Jury consisting of finalists from Season 5 will discuss and vote to determine 23 players in total deserving of a second chance. They will play in 2 Wildcard Games along with the aforementioned 2nd place finishers that advanced directly to these games. From each game, three players will advance to the Finale Game based on a post-game player vote, just like in the qualifying phase.
    • THE FINALE: The Finale Game is played. Once it has completed, the players vote to determine who shall receive the title of Season 6 Champion and a winner’s certificate signed by Dmitry Davidoff, the creator of mafia.
    This year’s setup: Mad17
    The setup is called Mad17 and features 17 players.

13x Town
    4x Mafia

Each of the following 17 roles will be assigned at random to one player in the game without regard for the player's alignment. Each role is restricted to using its action only on the nights listed on the chart.

mo4usD8.png

Relevant mechanics info
    - Day start
    - Role reveals at death are alignment only. You will not learn a player's exact role when they die.
    - Majority is not in effect.
    - Votes are automatically locked in at LYLO.
    - Mafia factional kills are assigned. They can be tracked, watched, or roleblocked.
    - Mafia share a factional Night Kill, which is a single standard shot for their faction.
    - Mafia members may perform the faction kill in addition to their regular action at the same time.
    - Mafia may communicate at any time.
    - Tied votes will result in a player being lynched at random from among the tied players.
    - Each individual player may make a maximum of 200 posts per day phase (this restriction is lifted 2 hours before day end).
    - The game will have a host to oversee everything and make sure everyone’s following the code of conduct, but otherwise the game is completely automated (automatic votecounts, thread locks and reveals roles automatically, the bot receives and processes actions, etc.).

3. SEASON 6 TIMELINE

There will be 11 Qualifying Games, and your representative plays in just one of these. They will have start dates during the months of April, May and June. So in other words, as long as your representative can play sometime during that period, they should be good and I’ll make sure they get scheduled into a game that suits their schedule well. I.e. if your rep is busy until June, that isn’t a problem.

Wildcard games will be played in July, and the Finale Game sometime in August/September (whenever we can work out something that suits everyone).

If you want to get in contact with me ASAP, you can find me on Discord (Thingyman#6075).

Kind regards,
    Thingyman

Would you be interested sKeith?

Would anyone else be interested?

If we have 1 candidate, they get picked.

If we have more than 1, lets follow the suggestion and have a democracy vote off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,330 ✭✭✭fixXxer

Can we not enter as a boards group? I'd be interested but there's much better players here who should go first.

• Advertisement
Advertisement