Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Rugby World Cup 2019 Japan Travel etc...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,078 ✭✭✭joseywhales

Eod100 wrote: »
    Usually tickets get freed up when we'll supported teams get knocked out or end up in an unexpected sidekof the draw, if we can get France or Australia or Argentina in a semi maybe we could get tickets.

Isn't it fixed that we'd be playing teams from pool B so SA or NZ?

QF tickets will definitely be sco and ire v nzl and sa

Yes but if you want to try to get a semi final ticket when you are there, there are more permutations, there will always be some upset.

It's all a roll of the dice.

I hate that the stadiums will be full of neutrals though when there are thousands of non neutrals who would love to attend and create more intense atmosphere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Isn't it fixed that we'd be playing teams from pool B so SA or NZ?
    In quarters yes but josey was talking about semi final.

If we make a semi and avoid England and Wales, I don't think many French or argentinians will travel for example.

But then that's a lot of ifs to plan a multi thousand Euro trip on

• Registered Users Posts: 29 wexfordhun

QF tickets will definitely be sco and ire v nzl and sa

Yes but if you want to try to get a semi final ticket when you are there, there are more permutations, there will always be some upset.

It's all a roll of the dice.

I hate that the stadiums will be full of neutrals though when there are thousands of non neutrals who would love to attend and create more intense atmosphere.

Its a long haul destination for all the top seeds so if they have tickets, its very unlikely that they will sell their tickets if their team gets knocked out earlier than expected and book a flight home as they will more than likely have return flights booked for later on. I know myself, If ireland got knocked out early, I wouldnt part way with my ticket and want to enjoy whatever match was next. I remember there was alot of Irish in Twickenham for the Argentina v Aus match in 2015.

If Ireland lose, I'll be selling tickets and hitting temples and binging on ramen. Watch the games in hotle rooms.

It will be my wife's holiday at that point.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭troyzer

If Ireland lose, I'll be selling tickets and hitting temples and binging on ramen. Watch the games in hotle rooms.

It will be my wife's holiday at that point.

I'm planning something similar. I've dropped €800 on the semi final tickets. That's far too much money for Springboks/England game.

Right I had a dream last night that could be a preminition.

We win the WC beating England fairly comfortably in the final.

Sob then proceeds to sing his own country rap song, reliving all the feats of the Irish squad members.

It was glorious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,959 ✭✭✭diusmr8a504cvk

Made a wager with a friend:

If Ireland don't get past the Quarter Finals then he must donate €10 to a charity of my choosing.

If Ireland make it to the Semi Finals or beyond then I must pay €10 to a charity of his choosing.

Easy money for my yet to be decided charity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭Boscoirl

This day next year I’ll be on a plane to Japan :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭finbarrk

You hardly have the flight booked already?

• Advertisement

finbarrk wrote: »
    You hardly have the flight booked already?

This is the Rugby World cup premonition thread mate.

Going with a tour operator

And what Venjur said :D

Boscoirl wrote: »
    Going with a tour operator

And what Venjur said :D

Did they give 100% confirmation on the airline your flying with or are they just taking a punt and going to book whatever is cheapest when the fares are released?

They are flying with Emirates. They are partnered with them

Emirates is the official partner of the World Cup. Because of that, all agents have to have that on their website as 'official partner' or 'Preferred Airline'.

Just got the prices for the business class supplement. Yikes!!!!

Just got the prices for the business class supplement. Yikes!!!!

How Much?

~€4,500

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,899 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

~€4,500

crazy money

so basically saying return business is around 5,000 to 5,000

EDIT
    Cathay quoting €3,000 at present for September 2019

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 GO4AMP

Hi All, just wondering if anyone is planing on traveling to the world cup in Japan next year?
    Has it been announced yet where the Irish team will be based?
    Would love to hear your thoughts on same,

Andrew

We already have a world cup thread which is pretty active:

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057836197

But to answer your question, I don't think we know yet where Ireland will be based. I'm heading over, I have semi final tickets to the game they should be in and I'm holding out for final tickets as well.

Booked my flights yesterday. Austrian Airlines via Vienna, from Heathrow, overnight flights. €660 for what I wanted. Will book Shannon - Heathrow later, it's not available yet.

Booked my flights yesterday. Austrian Airlines via Vienna, from Heathrow, overnight flights. €660 for what I wanted. Will book Shannon - Heathrow later, it's not available yet.

Not bad, did you have to get that manually or did you use the comparison sites?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,457 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

London to Japan return for €660?

That sounds very reasonable

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,720 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Ours were about 840 return from Dublin with 1 stopover in Paris.

troyzer wrote: »
    Not bad, did you have to get that manually or did you use the comparison sites?

I sourced them on opodo and then booked directly with the airline.

lawred2 wrote: »
    London to Japan return for €660?

That sounds very reasonable

Well I'm actually returning to Heathrow from Bangkok, so I must still get the Tokyo - Bangkok leg of it, but it's not expensive. I must just decide which day I'll go to Bangkok.

• Advertisement

There is some great options released regarding flights, not what all these articles predicted they would be.

Klm, Lufthansa and Cathay all have cheap options in and out of Tokyo and if your looking at coming back from Osaka (Kix), Air france have a decent price / schedule.

Cathay are the only one stop options coming back from Fukuoka at the minute.

Will be interesting to see what the Gulf airlines prices are.

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭The Caveman

https://matrix.itasoftware.com/

For those looking for flights, please spend some time and check out ITA Matrix, by Google. It is the same software/algorithms that most travel agents use.

Repechage begins in Marseille weekend after next
    Canada, Germany, Hong Kong and Kenya competing.

Hong Kong played Dragons tonight with Dragons winning 28-24, Canada play Oxford University on Wednesday
    Small bit of irish interest with Shane O Leary in the Canadian squad

Canada beat Oxford 26-20
    SOL kicked 3 conversions

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭Garrigai

Stein, Club Travel and Killester seem to be the three options for going on a package. Does anyone have any experience of dealing with any of the three or already booked with them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,576 ✭✭✭bennyl10

Garrigai wrote: »
    Stein, Club Travel and Killester seem to be the three options for going on a package. Does anyone have any experience of dealing with any of the three or already booked with them?

Killester aere grand, travelled witht hem before

Rugby Travel Ireland are really good also, have had friends rave about them and have a load of Japan packages

• Advertisement

Garrigai wrote: »

Id honestly look and choose the cheapest or what package is best for you. Killester have been around a long time and have a lot of experience in Rugby. Club are also ireland biggest travel agent and own a few brands (Budget, Abbey) so would think they are secure as you could get. Not too sure about Stein, they dont seem to have a history of sports events.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭GiftofGab

Thinking of going to this World Cup but the price of the packages are putting me off.
    Anybody booking it themselves?? I think flights are about €800, train ticket €360, Dorm room in hostel €30/€35 per night (14 nights = ~€462) Then hope to book the tours from the hostels.
    Any issues getting match tickets for 1st 3 pool games?? How much are they??

Thinking of going to this World Cup but the price of the packages are putting me off.
    Anybody booking it themselves?? I think flights are about €800, train ticket €360, Dorm room in hostel €30/€35 per night (14 nights = ~€462) Then hope to book the tours from the hostels.

GiftofGab wrote: »

You can get tickets yourself. The final ballot closes on Sunday so you need to submit an application pronto.

Here's the link:

https://tickets.rugbyworldcup.com/ticketingInfo.html

It's fairly self explanatory but basically, you pick the games you want to go to and the price level that you want.

Your name then goes into a hat and you'll be told on the 26th if you were successful. You can increase your chances by committing to pay with Mastercard and also by agreeing to be upgraded or downgraded from the price level you originally requested.

There will also be a general sale, ticketmaster style, in the new year.

I've already got semi final tickets and I've submitted an application for tickets to the final as well.

Flights and rail pass sound about right. Hostel might be more or less.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

Massive FOMO . Need to find a way to ignore this thread or have massive self-discipline over the next year. Very jealous...

Anyone want to buy a kidney, lung...any other major organ that I could do without? :D

🤪

• Advertisement

Sabre0001 wrote: »
    Massive FOMO . Need to find a way to ignore this thread or have massive self-discipline over the next year. Very jealous...

Anyone want to buy a kidney, lung...any other major organ that I could do without? :D

To be fair, I couldn't justify the cost other than the fact we want to go to Japan anyway and we have loads of time to save up.

But when I win the Lotto, I'll buy a kidney off you to replace the kidney I sold to fund this trip.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,821 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

I applied for tickets for RWC 2015 but not too sure of process and if it's same this time out.

Anyone know where I can find info on how many tickets/matches can be applied for in current ballot?

There's a few of us thinking of going so thinking of making a couple of applications. I know chances of getting same tickets slim but just in case, if you are successful is the money automatically taken for tickets? Or do you have option to turn down tickets before they take payment?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 614 ✭✭✭random_banter

I applied for tickets for RWC 2015 but not too sure of process and if it's same this time out.

Anyone know where I can find info on how many tickets/matches can be applied for in current ballot?

There's a few of us thinking of going so thinking of making a couple of applications. I know chances of getting same tickets slim but just in case, if you are successful is the money automatically taken for tickets? Or do you have option to turn down tickets before they take payment?

You don't give your payment details when you apply for the tickets, however you must pay for them within a certain period of being notified if you manage to get some. And the catch - you must pay for all the tickets you've been allocated, you can't just take the ones you really want. So if you happen to decide to apply for every match you can, in the hope of getting a few, be prepared to have to fork out a small fortune if by some miracle you get them all!

Two ballots applied for so far, had some luck in the second ballot and got tickets to two matches, but I don't know of many people who have actually got the matches they wanted so far. We'll see how this ballot goes.

Also, you asked about how many tickets you can apply for, you can apply for 6 per match but you can't apply for two matches on the same day.

All this information is here at the site: https://tickets.rugbyworldcup.com/showNews.html?idNews=100

Hope that's of use.

Has anyone booked accommodation for Tokyo or Yokohama yet? Either with an agent or independently?

I dont know where to start looking.

wexfordhun wrote: »
    Has anyone booked accommodation for Tokyo or Yokohama yet? Either with an agent or independently?

I dont know where to start looking.

I've booked my hotel for the night of the semi final just on booking.com

I didn't realise it was a love hotel but sure it's an experience!

I'm not booking the rest until I have confirmed dates. The flights I want should be out next week.

I'm not booking the rest until I have confirmed dates. The flights I want should be out next week.

Looks like the rugby won't be the only semi going on...!

Careful though - they have some weird STD's in Japan, they've one where your bits get all pixelated!

Looks like the rugby won't be the only semi going on...!

Careful though - they have some weird STD's in Japan, they've one where your bits get all pixelated!

Pixelitis, I've heard. Tragic.

It's rife within the adult movie industry over there, of course I've no idea about that myself :pac:

I've heard it's rife within the adult movie industry over there, of course I've no idea myself :pac:

Nor do I. What's this adult movie industry? Never heard of it....

To be fair, I couldn't justify the cost other than the fact we want to go to Japan anyway and we have loads of time to save up.

But when I win the Lotto, I'll buy a kidney off you to replace the kidney I sold to fund this trip.

Apparently when you get a kidney transplant they don't replace the old Kidney they just stick a new one in there.

Only learned that yesterday. I always thought they would have taken it out and replaced it. There ya go!

• Advertisement
Advertisement