Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Living on a Sailboat in Cork

Options
  • 13-02-2017 2:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 24

Hi guys,

Does anyone have any experience with the liveaboard/houseboat community in Ireland? It's been asked before, but not in a few years it seems. I'm hoping to live on a wooden sailboat somewhere near Cork city (in the harbour, on the river, etc). It's a 7.1 metre/23 foot boat, so it doesn't need a big berth. Not enough room for some, plenty for me for the time being. Has anyone done that in Cork before, or know anyone who has? If so, any info would be greatly appreciated! I've applied for a mooring but haven't heard back yet and don't know what the story is with fees and permission.

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭hytrogen

A wooden 23ft'er in Cork harbour around this time of year can be a bit nippy to say the least, unless you have her well insulated with a good heating or wood burner system. It was the dream nonetheless! I tried it some years back when the big freeze hit around 2010 and eventually caved.. totally worth it though
    Most live-aboards are canal barges here, particularly around the royal and grand canals in Kildare. There's not too many found around the coast sadly, mainly due to the cool wet weather.
    The cheapest option for mooring is of course a swing mooring, either around Drake's pool (Crosshaven to Carrigaline road) or up around Passage West, easy to apply for through the harbour master's office.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Malonruil

Thank you! That's all great to know, food for thought. Do you remember how much you were paying?

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭segosego89

I'm interested to know what costs are involved in living off the grid in a boat also. For example, what would you do for electricity etc?

So, it depends on the kind of lifestyle you want to have. Some people use a combination of solar panels and wind turbines or hydroelectric systems to power their boat, as well as running the engine. The two things that require by far the most electricity are heating and cooling things. A small wood burning stove would heat a small boat very efficiently indeed at minimal cost and energy expenditure. One of the advantages of wooden boats like the one I hope to buy is insulation (lots of disadvantages too of course). For me, refrigeration is a crazy expense of energy, and even when I have my own home I don't intend to use a refrigerator, but cold storage instead. Easy on land, on a boat that means shopping for fresh stuff more frequently or keeping goods in cold water, perhaps off the side of the boat in a plastic bag.

Beyond that, I estimate that a 180 watt photovoltaic solar panel can easily charge a phone, laptop and some lights daily even in Ireland, as well as powering navigational equipment when actually sailing. I have the calculations written out somewhere. That's all I "need" electricity for, and the engine provides a backup for days when it's not enough. That involves an investment of about two or three hundred euros, at which point electricity is free from then on out.

The toilet would ideally be a composting toilet to be emptied about once every two weeks (twice a week if living with another person). That involves covering solid waste with peat or sawdust. There should be no smell in the boat if it is installed correctly. The waste container is either emptied into a plastic bag to be disposed of legally onshore in a bin, emptied in a public bathroom, or emptied legally offshore in the water. So a bit of extra hassle there, worth it in my opinion.

I work online, so that's that. Others might find other solutions. The boat requires maintenance, which will cost money. That's about everything. Bicycle on board for local transport, gas cooker (wood or alcohol are also options). It's definitely doable, and can be done with a minimal energy footprint. It's how I'd like to spend a few years of my life to try it out - taking up a small amount of space and being fairly self-sufficient in terms of energy appeals to me.

segosego89 wrote:
    I'm interested to know what costs are involved in living off the grid in a boat also. For example, what would you do for electricity etc?
    In terms of budget the sky's the limit, with some discipline you can run completely DC off several deep cycle batteries, a wind turbine and solar panel. Again weight size and budget are factors, If you need the hair dryer or hair straightener (as she's complained about) you'll eat into your juice reserves running domestic appliances as such but you can pick up a reasonable inverter online or in a chandlery. Best to make a budget of how many watts, volts each necessary appliance consumes, consider do you actually need it and see if there's a lower rate or more efficient model. I never had a TV for example because I had my laptop and a dongle, otherwise I went to the pub to watch a match.
    I considered the rain water collector method but realised I would have to invest also in filtration and sanitation equipment like UV filtration, or desalination which can be a big energy eater, space and weight. Potable water is thankfully widely available.
    Equally many common modern yachts and boats have a sea toilet so it flushes straight out which can be a big no no if you're on a marina or have neighbours, they certainly don't want to see or smell what you had for breakfast. Therefore if you're not planning on moving often a chemical toilet is necessary. It takes up a bit more space and weight than the sea toilet but it totally hygienic and can be flushed down a shore loo or preferably receptical facilities. Also as Cork harbour is tidal you might watch your discharge pass you again if you drop on the flood..
    Speaking of receptical facilities, we're quite lacking on this island especially for cruisers around the coast so bear that in mind for when you're choosing your moorings! Refuse and recyclables no bother there's plenty of bottle banks etc but for black water waste it's awkward.
    For heating cooking there's plenty of options open to you, many use the propane gas can for cooking, I've seen some with a wee wood burner stove, great intense heat, heartily and efficient. My colleague fitted one in his camper van made from an old gas can and some piping. Others have fitted there barges with them and a back burner for the central heating.
    Loads of ideas found on Pinterest for all of these too, presented in fairyland but really doable with a little motivation and enthusiasm!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭Donie75

Personal safety is something to strongly consider if you are going to live on a swinging mooring in a tidal area and travel to shore in a dinghy. How will you propel the dinghy? Rowing is not an option in a strong tidal area or where it can get windy with rough water conditions. Getting back into the boat on a wet and windy night with shopping and luggage could be hazardous. Also, that bike will disintegrate if left on the decks. And finally, an older 23ft wooden boat is likely to be very small inside and have very limited headroom.
    There's a very good channel on Youtube called Sail Life. It mainly focusses on a guy renovating his boat but he also lives on a 30ft boat in Denmark with his dog. There are some very good videos about heating an living aboard.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,695 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

I second the advice above about living on a swinging mooring. Everything has to be transported back and forth, that includes your daily fuel for the stove and that poop bag, and then where do you leave your dinghy when ashore?

This is a subject where limited advice can be received online. You really have to go out and do it, but until you do, hunt down others who are doing the same locally and speak with them.

If you checkout Sailing Nandji on YouTube, they're a couple on a sailing boat around Australia, I know sunny weather coral reef, wine etc. and there are plenty others who vlog their life aboard as well, But they do highlight some of the challenges to live-aboards, particularly on a yacht, with a dog and mooring / anchoring in a big city. One of their latest vlogs was in Brisbane for example.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,970 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

Buy a camper van

Buy a camper van

First comes the van, then the horse, bit like the chicken and the egg, it's a slippery slope unlike a cambered deck..

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,323 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

Having had a boat on a swing mooring I can tell you it's a nightmare you will spend windy nights worrying about your ropes and chains and never get a moments rest, you may also find that you can't get insurance for over the winter. This is an all to common site in my home town of Skerries. If you really want to enjoy life living onboard a boat a marina is the way to go for ease of boarding safety and backup power if needed.

2012-04-26081323.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

With suggestions that a peat composting toilet will be used onboard (among the other ideas in post #5) my guess is that the OP has never done much sailing, lived on a boat before or has much of an idea of what is entailed. FWIW many of the marinas do not allow live-aboard long stay.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,855 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Wouldn't have much fancied living on a swinging mooring the last few days :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,970 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

OSI wrote: »
    Do they float?

OR sink or float away, or need to be lifted out to be cleaned. Filling them with fuel is easy so is emptying the toilet. You can safely run the fridge on gas or DC or AC if you set it up right. It's much warmer not having a cold river or sea under it.

With suggestions that a peat composting toilet will be used onboard (among the other ideas in post #5) my guess is that the OP has never done much sailing, lived on a boat before or has much of an idea of what is entailed. FWIW many of the marinas do not allow live-aboard long stay.

Lol, never heard of a marine composting head I take it.

https://www.boatingmag.com/choosing-composting-marine-toilet

I take it that you've never heard of a marine compossting head so Pedro

Malonruil wrote: »
    Lol, never heard of a marine composting head I take it.

Why wait two years to revive a thread and come up with a smart-ass comment?
    I am fully aware of composting toilets. What you wrote about back in post #5
    …………The toilet ……. involves covering solid waste with peat or sawdust. .......The waste container is either emptied into a plastic bag to be disposed of legally onshore in a bin, emptied in a public bathroom,
    That system makes no mention of the necessary liquid/solid waste separation and is totally different to the link you now have discovered above. The notion of emptying composted nightsoil in a public bathroom is plain silly and would ensure that you would be run out of any facility.

Still dreaming after two years? Shows your determination (and ability).:rolleyes:
    PS I also suggest you stop referring to yachts as ‘sailboats’, it’s a sign of ignorance, we don’t call them that over here.

Why wait two years to revive a thread and come up with a smart-ass comment?
    I am fully aware of composting toilets.

It's my first time checking Boards in two years and I've been living in Spain and Mexico in the meantime, nowhere near the coast and didn't get a boat over there.

Back in Ireland now, business is going great, and I reckon it's a good time to pick up where I left off - I've been viewing barges instead though, more room.

Spotted your comment there when I read through the old thread and figured I'd set you straight, it sounds like you still don't understand how these toilets are emptied to be honest. That's not my business anyway, I came here to have a chat with a few people who know what they're about, not argue with some salty ****er online about my literal shi t - good luck man.

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭10pennymixup

..................., I came here to have a chat with a few people who know what they're about, not argue with some salty ****er online about my literal shi t - good luck man.

It sounds more like you came on here to talk with people that only agree with you. There are a lot of different opinions on composting toilets, other than that of the youtuber that has persuaded you that they are the best toilet for a boat.

Did you ever stop to think, why doesn't every boat have a compost toilet? If they're so fantastic, why hasn't every boat owner fitted one by now? They've been around in some form or another, for decades.
    • Where will you empty the black water (which will be near daily)?
    • Why does your composted material have to be placed in an airtight sealed bag before being put in a bin?
    • Whose bin will you use, as in who in their right mind is going to allow you dump human excrement composted or not, in their bin?
    • Why are you advised never to spread as fertliser on a current or future piece of ground being used to grow food for human consumption?
    • How will you maintain the minimum required temperature needed for the composting process to work?
    • What is the ampage draw of the fan (quick google search is throwing up anything up from 40w to 150w depending on make and model)?
    • Where on the boat will the external vent be? Near the water line or near a window?
    • How long will it take you to perfect the balance of water usage, fan usage, temperature and actual amount of crap going in to it, to stop it drying out too much or not enough?
    • Will you, or your guests, get used to tickling unseen parts of your body as your fingers poke through flimsy biodegradable toilet paper, or will you be happy storing in a separate container, proper toilet paper covered in human excrement?
    • Have you ever seen a composting toilet, never mind used one?

From your posts on living aboard you come across as a novice and someone that could do with opening their mind a little more and listening to a "salty fcuker" like pedroeibar.

The threads you've started on the subject were living aboard in Cork, two years later it's Galway. Anyone want to take bets on which town will be next and when? I'm running a book..pm me.:rolleyes:

BTW has anyone tried out one of those incinerating toilets yet? They look ideal for using on a boat too:rolleyes:

It sounds more like you came on here to talk with people that only agree with you.:

Unlike the lad I was replying to, your comment actually has a bit of a balance between thick, unhelpful sarcasm on one hand and actual information that could be helpful on the other. There's a big difference - I don't mind if you're a total prick in the way that you speak to me or anyone else when you're actually giving me info that can be useful, and I genuinely do appreciate your response.

The other fella was just as much of a prick about it as you were, but didn't offer any info whatsoever, and didn't come across as someone who had any, just another sad case trolling people on the internet.

Picking a few points at random - compost toilets, yes, I have constructed and maintained compost toilets on different sites in Ireland and abroad. I was studying construction and joinery in Cork a few years ago which is one of the reasons I lived there, but I am from Galway, which is why I'm back here now.

I run a remote content marketing business, which is why I could and did live abroad for a few years, and why I can afford a converted houseboat barge now as opposed to the wee yacht I had an eye on before.

Most of the other stuff you mentioned was toilet-related and can be answered by me saying "yes, I have a strong working knowledge of compost toilets," but to be fair to you, you actually did break out one or two good points that I can't answer. I'll be looking up a few of the things you mentioned and discussing them with people in the know so I can learn from it. Again, cheers for that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭downwesht

Hi OP.I am from Cork Harbour and there are plenty of safe areas to anchor in all weathers.A few people down the years have chosen to live aboard boats in the harbour and if that is what you want to do you should go for it.Get a decent anchor, maybe 2 and be prepared to move around if severe weather is forecast.Much of the harbour is tidal but places like Drakes Pool,East Ferry,Whitegate and Monkstown offer safe refuge depending on the weather.If I were you I wouldn't commit to any permanent mooring until I had lived in the harbour for a while.If I can be of any more help feel free to pm me.Best of luck.

downwesht wrote: »
    Hi OP.I am from Cork Harbour and there are plenty of safe areas to anchor in all weathers.A few people down the years have chosen to live aboard boats in the harbour and if that is what you want to do you should go for it.Get a decent anchor, maybe 2 and be prepared to move around if severe weather is forecast.Much of the harbour is tidal but places like Drakes Pool,East Ferry,Whitegate and Monkstown offer safe refuge depending on the weather.If I were you I wouldn't commit to any permanent mooring until I had lived in the harbour for a while.If I can be of any more help feel free to pm me.Best of luck.

Thanks a million downwesht! I know I'm after reviving this old thread, but I'm actually based back home in Galway now and will be settling here. That said, still great to hear that people are doing this around Ireland! And that's interesting advice about not committing to a mooring straight off the bat, I'll keep that in mind. I might send a PM alright if I have more questions and if you don't mind, still figuring out a few things at the moment.

Again, thanks a lot for your help! Cheers, I appreciate it

QUOTE=Malonruil;109832128]................POST #22.............[/QUOTE]

I'll not comment much on your need to refer to people as thick sarcatic pr*cks and I will try not repeat the insulting profanity be quoting your post+.

It is suffice to say that if you act like a pr*ck to others in life, you tend to find that you end up dealing with an unusual amount of pr*cks treating you equally. Up until your post ridiculing Pedroeibar with your Lol comment, no one has shown you any degree of ignorance,sarcasm nor obnoxious behavior.

This is the first time in 2 years you've mentioned that you're an experienced liveaborder. Something that is not really evident in any of your other posts.

You also now tell us that you have spent years studying construction and carpentry (would have been better studying plumbing) and constructing and maintaining composting toilets all over Ireland.

With your "strong working knowledge of compost toilets" where did you get the idea that it was a good idea to put composted waste down a normal flush toilet??? Did you not think that it might block the toilet system?

When there is a small leak on a gate in the canals, one temporary fix is to block it with compost. Very effective fix it is too.

And with this new revelation of experience and knowledge, I'm surprised you haven't been able to retort to the simple issues I raised earlier. Though I don't really want a reply from you, as I couldn't trust its veracity

QUOTE=Malonruil;109832128]................POST #22.............
    Up until your post ridiculing Pedroeibar with your Lol comment, no one has shown you any degree of ignorance,sarcasm nor obnoxious behavior.
    [/QUOTE]

Yeah, I think you mean up until Pedroeibar's comment man, not mine.

I didn't mention that I'm an experienced liveaboarder, or that I spent years studying carpentry. The latter's actually true, but I never mentioned it - you don't really have a good grasp on what anyone has written here.

You've pointed out that anyone who acts like a prick is likely to get treated as such, and you're dead right. Apply your own logic to yourself and your mate there and don't get so surprised when people in the middle of a polite conversation don't speak to users like you and pedro in that same civil tone for input like yours.

You'll notice that nobody else, including myself, has had any problems on any of the threads I made about this, just yourself and ped. I'm not going to be going back and forth any more with you on this - you can be a delicate flower or a rude little ****, not both. Enjoy hassling randomers on boards mate if that's all you get up to, most of the rest of us are here to share information. G'luck.

Up until your post ridiculing Pedroeibar with your Lol comment, no one has shown you any degree of ignorance,sarcasm nor obnoxious behavior.

Yeah, I think you mean up until Pedroeibar's comment man, not mine.

I didn't mention that I'm an experienced liveaboarder, or that I spent years studying carpentry. The latter's actually true, but I never mentioned it - you don't really have a good grasp on what anyone has written here.

You've pointed out that anyone who acts like a prick is likely to get treated as such, and you're dead right. Apply your own logic to yourself and your mate there and don't get so surprised when people in the middle of a polite conversation don't speak to users like you and pedro in that same civil tone for input like yours.

You'll notice that nobody else, including myself, has had any problems on any of the threads I made about this, just yourself and ped. I'm not going to be going back and forth any more with you on this - you can be a delicate flower or a rude little ****, not both. Enjoy hassling randomers on boards mate if that's all you get up to, most of the rest of us are here to share information. G'luck.
    Apologies, you are correct. I read deep in the bowels of your post the word s "i could and did live abroad for a few years" as live aboard.

The rest is just purile nonsense.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Unlike the lad I was replying to, your comment actually has a bit of a balance between thick, unhelpful sarcasm on one hand and actual information that could be helpful on the other. ...

The other fella was just as much of a prick about it as you were, but didn't offer any info whatsoever, and didn't come across as someone who had any, just another sad case trolling people on the internet.

Mod note:
    If you have a problem with any post, please report it and let the mods take care of it. Do not resort to tit for tat insults.

........ I came here to have a chat with a few people who know what they're about, not argue with some salty ****er online about my literal shi t - good luck man.

I’ll take that as a compliment – I am a salty individual, because that stuff does get in your ears, hair, between your toes, etc, after decades of sailing, instructing, racing, delivery, off-shore racing, , etc.
    There was a guy on HERE about the same time as you appeared - the two of you would get on famously, get in touch with him!

People on this forum are nice, friendly and helpful (as you can see from the replies to your posts) unless someone comes across as a prat. You make your own bed.

Oh, 100% man, everyone else has been lovely, you're the exception alright. Looks like you ripped the piss out of that guy you linked while everyone else was nice and helpful and all - there's always one isn't there? I can see you're just like this with everyone.

Anyways, if venting anonymously at strangers is how you get your kicks, that's your problem. Ha, I'd wager it's not exactly your only problem if that's how you're spending your time, eh? To each their own anyways, there are plenty of sound users here for me to chat to, and I'm sure there are plenty more newcomers for you to give the classic pedro welcome to and all. Have a good one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,784 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Live aboard alone, one presumes, in the OP's case!

Advertisement