Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Official Off Topic Thread

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

It helps if your a Derby winner owned by an Oppenheimer.... I never thought this decision was fair at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,172 ✭✭✭NaiveMelodies

IAMAMORON wrote: »
    It helps if your a Derby winner owned by an Oppenheimer.... I never thought this decision was fair at all.

People are failing to understand the very simple point that the rules in the States are different.
    There's no point sharing examples from here- the winner gets dq'd every time in this example stateside.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭Mostly Harmless

People are failing to understand the very simple point that the rules in the States are different.
    There's no point sharing examples from here- the winner gets dq'd every time in this example stateside.
    Yeah, neither sets of rules are perfect but provided they are applied consistently across the board then it is what it is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,702 ✭✭✭tryfix

IAMAMORON wrote: »

Terrible stuff, it was accidental but Golden Horn very clearly swerved out on to Free Eagle as Free Eagle was making up ground onto his withers. He took Free Eagle's winning chance away and also deprived him of second place.

If ye don't punish a horse for taking another's ground when it is coming to challenge then it's a cheats charter. A few year's ago Bondi Beach was deliberately carried across the track by Storm The Stars in the Great Voltigeur and nothing was done about it, a few weeks later Simple Verse bumped him a few times and lost the race only to have that stewards decision thrown out by the BHA. There's no incentive for a horse's connections to instruct their jockeys to ride a fair race. Last year Oisin Murphy needlessly and deliberately cut in on top of Saxon Warrior ensuring that there was no possibility that Saxon Warrior would get back up in the Eclipse. He could do it because he knew there was no risk and every advantage to be gained by doing so.

Back in the 80s and 90s there's no way that taking someone's ground would be tolerated. I'd put the blame for the relaxation of the rules down to the BHA's fear of taking on big owners, after the bruising court battles when the Aga Khan quit UK racing over Aliysa's disqualification in the Oaks there was definitely a move by the UK authorities towards non confrontation with owners.

I thought Golden Horn deserved to keep that race myself as it was not an intentional case and the interference didn't make any difference to the result, Free Eagle was weakening when it occurred, it was very borderline though. But the deliberate drifting across in front of horses when a length in front is a scourge on the game in these parts and I think the rules should be tightened but it is a difficult balancing act. The nature of tracks in UK/IRE is conducive to trouble in running too - i.e. not all flat ovals with long straights as is generally the case in USA.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 627 ✭✭✭zpehtsfd

I gave up trying to understand the rules in UK/IRE after Elusive Kate kept this race:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i6G5RuEeQmE

Now compare that to when Jacquellines Quest lost her race:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LwvParJLCdo

No consistency. I'm sure the fact that JQ, who was a 66/1 shot beating the fav, didn't affect their decision. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭FatRat

Never confident with O Briens lot that travel to the states. Magic Wand here is favourite for the ManOWar stakes I find there is always value in the American horses when this happens. Will back Focus Group at 10/3. Intetested to see how Hunting Hron and Magic Wand fair. It's off in 5 minutes, only just spotted it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭Andrew00

Will be cheering on aidans two

Thought Hunting Horn was going ta nick it there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭BumperD

Going to chance Coral Beach in the French 1,000, beat the colts in its final race last year one of which goes on the 2000 for Joseph earlier in the card no needs never. 14/1 looks a bit of value in an open looking race given the firepower he has unleashed so far in England.GL

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Shocking

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,507 ✭✭✭tinpib

ya, a very sad story

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭STB.

I wonder who Bowman Bloodstock bought her for 15 grand, 3 and a half years ago. Doesn't seem she ever saw a racetrack.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 824 ✭✭✭FLOOPER

Just see in PP site they have Paul Jacobs as a star tipster. What’s his form like, can anyone tell me.

I have always followed you guys on here with a lot of success. Thanks, as I’m not as knowledgeable as I would like (read thick
    As a brick) so I have to follow tipping people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 824 ✭✭✭FLOOPER

Review

Well to answer my own question as one must it seems.

He had a very good day indeed at York. Out of the 5 races he picked he landed 4 winners and gave notable mentions to 2 second places horses. And had the 1st 2nd and 3rd bigged up in Yorkshire’s Gold Cup.

He only missed out on a 33/1 shot in the 4.35.

So will be keeping an eye on him in the future if he posts on PP again.

Here’s his article

The cavalry are coming to try and shoot down the Champion Stayer this season, but do any of the challengers have the high cruising speed, turn of foot and staying power of Stradivarius?

Well, of the new generation, Cross Counter could well match John Gosden’s king on all three counts, but he isn’t entered in Friday’s Yorkshire Cup and of the champs’ seven rivals, none look worthy opponents over this mile and a three trip.

The giant Southern France is crying out for a trip in excess of two miles plus and may only come into his own on Ascot Gold Cup day. That view was endorsed by his opening salvo at in the Vintage Crop Stakes at Navan where he travelled into the race like a Rolls Royce only to have the end of race acceleration of a Ford Anglia.

The victor that day, Master of Reality, should confirm the form over this intermediate trip, but the biggest danger to the current champ over this distance of ground looks likely to be Mildenberger who has a bit more about him in the ‘speed’ department.

But from a betting perspective, the most interesting event of the day is the following class two, mile and a quarter handicap at 3.35.

UAE Prince only had the three starts last year, but has a deal more progression in him and of course the Varian team is white hot at the moment.

However, the six-year-old makes the market for the rest of the field and the each-way supreme value has to be the Godolphin owned Lucius Tiberius despite his welterweight.

The son of Camelot was hardly suited by the run of the race last time out at Epsom and will be much more at home on this more galloping track. As long as the Knavesmire doesn’t get any significant rain then he could well take care of the likes of Big Kitten, Grandee and the tight market leader.

I love the way that Florenza went about her business last time out, but she will need another significant step forward to land the fillies’ handicap at 4.05 after having the run of the race that day.

The better offer at the prevailing weights is Agincourt, second to the Fairhurst filly at Town Moor, and hailing from the in-form David O’Meara yard. This daughter of Declaration of War will relish the likely break-neck pace here and should gain her revenge.

Mawde is the each-way call at a gigantic price in the three-year-old burn up at 4.35, while Magnetic Charm looks the main viable punting rival to the Gosden/Dettori market leader Twist ‘N’ Shake in the fillies’ Listed event due off at 2.25.

Going with Bourbon War in the Preakness, comes here fresh after being beaten 7L 4th by the Kentucky winner. He’s 9/2 but you can get 9/1 from a few UK bookies which looks value

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 950 ✭✭✭mickmackmcgoo

BumperD wrote:
    Going with Bourbon War in the Preakness, comes here fresh after being beaten 7L 4th by the Kentucky winner. He’s 9/2 but you can get 9/1 from a few UK bookies which looks value

It's a poor preakness . Going for win win win ew about 16/1

• Advertisement

Does look a shocker, bet Anothertwistafate who should get race run to suit and can reverse form with Alwaysmining. But lots of guess work going on.

I don’t have a strong view on the race, just figured I’d play at that price. Threw in the tricast 2-4-1 for small change. If it lands, I’ll be drinking a few zacappa rums later :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭FatRat

Kentucky Derby may not be a good form indicator here. I think AlwaysMining is an interesting one and will be having a punt with 9/1 and 4 places available.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,408 ✭✭✭ft9

PC..... I’ve been trying to message you the last couple weeks. Your inbox is full.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

ft9 wrote: »
    PC..... I’ve been trying to message you the last couple weeks. Your inbox is full.

Just call round to his house.

Sent him a Whatsapp there for you ft9 to get his inbox sorted!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,172 ✭✭✭NaiveMelodies

Sent him a Whatsapp there for you ft9 to get his inbox sorted!

Awwww Whatsapp friends :pac:

For my sins :pac: Boards brought us together many years ago :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭ASOT

Yates just bought Interconnected who finished second to Emiton for 620k.

Nearly a million spent on 3 horses in the last few months.

15,000 attended the curragh this weekend for 3 days of racing or about 5,000 a day. You’d get a bigger crowd in Ballinrobe( and that’s no disrespect to that fine facility but the closest they will ever get to hosting a classic is if a vintage car parks in the car park)

Hopefully with the new facilities it will get bigger crowds in the years ahead . It deserves a better attendance

Racing post editing really gone to the dogs. They have an article on page 7 regarding a race at goodwood “continued from front page” yet the front page has no mention of race or article . It even starts mid sentence with the rest missing comical

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭abarkie

BumperD wrote: »
    Racing post editing really gone to the dogs. They have an article on page 7 regarding a race at goodwood “continued from front page” yet the front page has no mention of race or article . It even starts mid sentence with the rest missing comical

Been like that for a while.

Not purchased it since the last increase before Cheltenham

Guess it's what you get when it's a virtual monopoly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Shemale

Whatsapp fwiend

Yabo’s run behind gypsy island reads very well and unless there is something exceptional lurking amongst the newcomers should be good enough to beat this lot in the last at Ballinrobe. Money this morning from 14’s suggests it’s up for it. Still 8’s available which is very good value imo

15,000 attended the curragh this weekend for 3 days of racing or about 5,000 a day. You’d get a bigger crowd in Ballinrobe( and that’s no disrespect to that fine facility but the closest they will ever get to hosting a classic is if a vintage car parks in the car park)

Hopefully with the new facilities it will get bigger crowds in the years ahead . It deserves a better attendance

I literally drove past it on the N7 around 3pm on Saturday and wouldn't have noticed the racing was on... Really odd.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭akelly02

I literally drove past it on the N7 around 3pm on Saturday and wouldn't have noticed the racing was on... Really odd.

The brother drove past and said he couldn’t see anyone in the stand either , thought they weren’t letting people into it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Full brother to Douvan sold at the Derby Sale for €140,000 to Michael Shefflin, who usually buys for Ellemarie Holden.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,941 ✭✭✭krustydoyle

Anyone else having problems with Bet365 site and app??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭abarkie

Looks like the Racing Paper (weekend alternative to Racing Post) is ceasing trading

Note on page 2 saying it is the last Racing Paper for the foreseeable future due to circumstances beyond our control

Shame for £1.90 for the weekend racing it was good value - needed some fine tuning but sad to see it go

Not sure if it ever made it over to Ireland

I watched that RTE investigative program on greyhound racing, quite brutal. Had to turn it off . It’s on YouTube if anyone cares to watch it

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

I watched that RTE investigative programme on greyhound racing, quite brutal. Had to turn it off . It’s on YouTube if anyone cares to watch it

I haven't seen it yet but I have followed the dogs for years and I am not surprised. It is awful. There is an entire thread on the programme. I was going to post but it would feel like pissing into the wind with some of the comments. An awful lot of animal rights posters, plenty getting their digs in at Horse Racing and jumping also.

A lot of posters were saying that the sport should be boycotted... if they want to kill more pups that is exactly what they need to be doing. The reason for the cull has been the sport is in decline, see the closure of Harolds Cross for starters. The less people who attend the races the more dogs that will be culled, it is that simple.

I have no issue with using animals in sports or work or in life. I will watch the programme but I am not looking forward to it at all.

But I would emphasise to anyone having reservations about supporting the industry after seeing the documentary that by not participating you are simply turning your back on a sport which has existed in Ireland for thousands of years.

The dept of Agriculture needs to step up, as does Bord Na cGon. They can do it but they will need support.

• Advertisement

I got a retired greyhound as a pet a few years back and it was shit scared and wouldn't let you pet it for months. Would say it was treated horribly.

Couldn't bring myself to watch that programme.

Great ride from frankie on coronet in France there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 627 ✭✭✭zpehtsfd

• Registered Users Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭Seanachai

I watched that RTE investigative program on greyhound racing, quite brutal. Had to turn it off . It’s on YouTube if anyone cares to watch it

My brother was telling me about it, felt sick after what he told me

Wonder is band of outlaws Galway hurdle bound, runs tomorrow in the traditional prep race

Darren Yates who spunked over a million on Don Poli, Blaklion and Interconnected has taken all his horses off Phil Kirby. If you've that sort of money why on earth would you send them to Kirby in the first place. He's a good trainer to be fair but surely you'd go a Henderson type trainer if you're loaded.

Oh and it's not really going to matter who trains Don Poli and Blaklion though but Interconnected looks like he could be a beast. Still overpriced by a good 400k though. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,702 ✭✭✭tryfix

Just an odd little thing with the Racing Post results section. Today they give the result of a 2yo maiden at Gunnedah track in Australia. No other results from the track, but the result of this single 2yo 5f £6,187 race and there was nothing spectacular about the performance of the winner.

It's not the first time that I saw one of these nondescript 2yo Australian races coming up on its own on the Racing Post results without any context being given.

Am I missing something?

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Bullwall

tryfix wrote: »
    Just an odd little thing with the Racing Post results section. Today they give the result of a 2yo maiden at Gunnedah track in Australia. No other results from the track, but the result of this single 2yo 5f £6,187 race and there was nothing spectacular about the performance of the winner.

It's not the first time that I saw one of these nondescript 2yo Australian races coming up on its own on the Racing Post results without any context being given.

Am I missing something?
    Anything to do with the sire ?
    I sometimes see postings by Coolmore etc. If one of their sires win overseas .

• Advertisement

Lads any fancy for the July Cup? Like Advertise myself with Mr frankie on board

Advertisement