Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Near misses - mod warning 22/04 - see OP/post 822

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,513 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

micar wrote: »
    Not a near miss......but two cars ignoring unmarked garda car with sirens blaring
    Jebus
    Thanks for the replies. I am a mature student in Rathmines College, studying full time so am not working. Luckily I am right handed so I can go back on thurs/fri If I feel ok and not miss too much studies. Looking back it was my ruck-sack that took most of blow of the fall. By the way I was wearing a hi-vis ruck-sack cover(flouresnt-yellow) and had my rear light on as well. Also there was a lull in the traffic, so no other cars involved, the road was quiet too. It was just me, and clear as daylight, no traffic lights either. The driver was just completely reckless. I am feeling a lot better thanks to nurofen now. One thing I wasn't wearing a helmet. I think I will in future as the first thing the guards asked was, "was I wearing a helmet?". The Doctors and nurses also kept asking me that as well.
    I presume you didn't hit your head. It is a reaction from people you hear all the time. i have had friends hurt their knees. First reaction from a doctor is to say, lucky you were wearing a helmet. There is no legal requirement and stats indicate that at a population level, it is your choice that is more important. In fact the only noted benefit that has been shown in Ireland to wearing a helmet is in a civil case, it weighs against you not too. I am neither pro or anti helmet, I am pro making your own choice. If you now want to wear one, you should, but if you don't and feel pressurised, you shouldn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,056 ✭✭✭buffalo

the first thing the guards asked was, "was I wearing a helmet?".

I'm not surprised, but still completely flabbergasted. What difference does it make if you were wearing a helmet? How is that in any way relevant to the hit and run? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭p15574

All the coaches go up the bus lane going northbound over the bridge - no problem there, however the bus lane is a left turn only. The coaches then bully all c=(cars and bikes) to pull onto traffic as they go over the junction.

This is EVERY, SINGLE, TIME.

Same for 90% of taxis. Really, really bugs me every time I drive over that bridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

New law making no difference from Portmarnock to Baldoyle this morning. String of close passes made into oncoming traffic.
    Cant wait for the cycle lane to open....

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Zulu wrote: »
    New law making no difference from Portmarnock to Baldoyle this morning. String of close passes made into oncoming traffic.
    Cant wait for the cycle lane to open....

And I had thought over the past two weeks there was a notable change...

Until this morning on the same stretch. A lot of bad ones, and one driver who I find is notorious deciding to pull up beside me and gesture his finger at me to move in... where he meant I just don't know, perhaps he wants me to swim to work...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Hrududu

New law not making a difference this morning for me either. Had a close pass from a taxi, this time on the left as I was in the middle of a right turn lane close to the turn itself. He didn’t do it at speed but still caught me on the hop as he passed pretty close to me on the left and then nipped in front of me so he could make the right turn before I did.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,579 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

As well all know, laws are useless without enforcement...

Every morning the bus lanes around North Dublin are used as speedways for those in a hurry, Bus's are delayed, cyclists are passed closely at speed, people do it because they know the chance of being stopped by the Gardai is minimal, same with close passing laws..
    Can't remember the last time I saw a Garda on a bicycle patrolling the roads..

• Registered Users Posts: 20,043 ✭✭✭✭neris

Tenzor07 wrote: »

Every morning the bus lanes around North Dublin are used as speedways for those in a hurry, Bus's are delayed, cyclists are passed closely at speed, people do it because they know the chance of being stopped by the Gardai is minimal, same with close passing laws..

Probably not allowed out on their bikes now with the cold weather. Imagine if one of them hit a patch of ice or got a bit wet & got the sniffles.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,107 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

P.S I hope my bike is safe, I locked it outside Swann centre Gym/swimmimg pool. It will be there for a few days I expect.

Hey, sorry to hear of the f*cking sh1tty hit & run and glad to hear you think the recovery might not take too long.
    If you want I can try to get your bike back to you so it's not left there for several days? Or even get it unlocked and drop it into the Garda station for the few days, let them at least help you in some small way?

PM me if you want to do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,056 ✭✭✭buffalo

neris wrote: »
    Probably not allowed out on their bikes now with the cold weather. Imagine if one of them hit a patch of ice or got a bit wet & got the sniffles.

I saw one last night.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,491 ✭✭✭VW 1

CramCycle wrote: »
    Jebus

I presume you didn't hit your head. It is a reaction from people you hear all the time. i have had friends hurt their knees. First reaction from a doctor is to say, lucky you were wearing a helmet. There is no legal requirement and stats indicate that at a population level, it is your choice that is more important. In fact the only noted benefit that has been shown in Ireland to wearing a helmet is in a civil case, it weighs against you not too. I am neither pro or anti helmet, I am pro making your own choice. If you now want to wear one, you should, but if you don't and feel pressurised, you shouldn't.

Was leaving the work car park at the same time as a girl from my office last week and she asked was I mad cycling without a helmet. Light-hearted, but I asked would she not feel at risk in the dark with no lights on the bike.. the response was but sure I'm wearing hiviz so it's fine. Just left it at that!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,349 ✭✭✭xckjoo

Tenzor07 wrote: »

People have no fear of the Guards pulling them over and understandably so. Recently was stopped 2 cars back from a Garda car at a red light. The light on the other road changed to red and at least 2-3 more cars came through and even slightly blocked the junction in front of the cops. They didn't pay the slightest bit of attention and continued on as normal. And they were almost definitely in the area for traffic management because there was a rugby match going on.

VW 1 wrote: »
    Was leaving the work car park at the same time as a girl from my office last week and she asked was I mad cycling without a helmet. Light-hearted, but I asked would she not feel at risk in the dark with no lights on the bike.. the response was but sure I'm wearing hiviz so it's fine. Just left it at that!

One of the consequences of all the media bullsh1t about hi-viz is that some people on bikes seem to believe it and therefore prioritise it over lights :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭droidus

Saw a driver take a right hand turn off Beech Hill Rd onto Clonskeagh Road a full two seconds after the lights had gone red. Came about a foot away from creaming a guy on a moped who'd just set off from the lights. Caught up with him about a minute later in a queue of traffic. Fiddling with his phone like about 40% of the drivers around him.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Barely a wet week into the minimum passing law, and has some fool almost crushes me between his car and a parked lorry on the way home this evening - all to get to a red light at Park Gate street heading into the Phoenix Park.

I was indicating with my right arm out in plenty of time to pass the parked lorry. Conscious of a car coming behind, he was travelling at approximately my speed. So elevated my out stretched arm to indicate my intentions. Car kept coming. Started waving my arm - no impact on driver. Car squeezed by me and the truck, giving me inches before stopping at the red light. Must look back on the video, but maybe the driver was engrossed in their phone or watching a YouTube video - they didn't even react when I pulled along side and gave a dirty look. Genuinely in another world.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,164 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

Pinch Flat wrote: »
    Barely a wet week into the minimum passing law, and has some fool almost crushes me between his car and a parked lorry on the way home this evening - all to get to a red light at Park Gate street heading into the Phoenix Park.

Its going to be a meaningless law if there are not a string of Motorists sanctioned in the first few weeks. Just look at how poor the enforcement is on otherong estsblished Road Traffic offences, including among other things, driving whilst disqualified, speeding, passing a red light whilst lit, etc
    We can only hope but will it be Bob Hope or No Hope?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,954 ✭✭✭Roberto_gas

What are best Cams to use ? I think need one...daily get loads of close passes...generally taxi drivers

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,509 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Kaisr Sose wrote: »
    Its going to be a meaningless law if there are not a string of Motorists sanctioned in the first few weeks.
    huh. this would require one of two things - either the gardai to witness the overtake in question, notice it, and realise it's a dangerous overtake, and decide to actually act on it (doubtful, as we all know how much they ignore other rule-breaking), or an upswing in the number of cyclists, emboldened by this law, presenting video evidence to the gardai, who now emboldened by having a law to pin it on, decide to act. and this ignores the fact that the gardai have been historically disdainful of video evidence from cyclists.

so i'm not holding my breath.

• Registered Users Posts: 884 ✭✭✭sy_flembeck

Its going to be a meaningless law if there are not a string of Motorists sanctioned in the first few weeks. Just look at how poor the enforcement is on otherong estsblished Road Traffic offences, including among other things, driving whilst disqualified, speeding, passing a red light whilst lit, etc

It will be enforced if we report them. I had a great week last week but, like others here, have found that normal service has resumed this week - much like the mobile phone usage when that ban came in.

I reported one to Traffic Watch yesterday - the worst of the 3 candidates I had to choose from.

The more of reporting that happens the more enforcement. There is no excuse not to act once provided with footage.

That said, I have reported 4 drivers (of the hundreds I could have) and have had a completely satisfactory response in each case.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,960 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

....That said, I have reported 4 drivers (of the hundreds I could have) and have had a completely satisfactory response in each case.
    What is your definition of a 'satisfactory response'. I rarely have to report anything but when I have, the response from the Gardai is pretty poor.

I was struck by a passing car in Dundrum a few years ago and the response I got was 'You shouldn't be out cycling at night'. When hospitalised after a hit and run, the investigating Garda was more obsessed with my lack of a hi viz jacket that anything else.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,164 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

What is your definition of a 'satisfactory response'. I rarely have to report anything but when I have, the response from the Gardai is pretty poor.

I was struck by a passing car in Dundrum a few years ago and the response I got was 'You shouldn't be out cycling at night'. When hospitalised after a hit and run, the investigating Garda was more obsessed with my lack of a hi viz jacket that anything else.

With the very odd exception, I concur. It generally gets down to whether the Garda in question is interested in cycling or just following up on what they see as minor stuff. It should not depend on this. There needs to be a cultural shift by the force to put more resources into making our roads safe for all users, irrespective of mode of transport. At the moment it's not a priority to do this. A new law will not change a culture of indifference.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Yeah the lack of enforcement is depressing. I had reason to drive my almost octogenarian mother from my home in west Dublin to and event in the centre of the city on Saturday evening.

It’s a long time since I’d driven in central Dublin - I try to avoid at all costs. Couldn’t believe the blatant abuse of the north quays bus lane - I’m talking about 6 or 7 cars whizzing by at a time. Twice I had a car overtake me while I was holding on a yellow box from. Queueing for the lights at myos in Castleknock, motorist behind decides to undertaken me, using the 24 hours bus lane, and cut in front to occupy the yellow box I was holding back front - all to get one car in front.

Maybe his line of thinking was "the Judge or defence will bring this up and he'll get off so no point in pursuing" which is even worse.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,513 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

With the very odd exception, I concur. It generally gets down to whether the Garda in question is interested in cycling or just following up on what they see as minor stuff. It should not depend on this. There needs to be a cultural shift by the force to put more resources into making our roads safe for all users, irrespective of mode of transport. At the moment it's not a priority to do this. A new law will not change a culture of indifference.

If your lucky you get a new Garda who is fresh out and interested in making a difference, or an older one who doesn't care about procedure and is happy to knock on doors and put the frighteners on someone. Alas both are in short supply. If you read the AMA with a garda thread, it concurs with any friends I know who became Gardai, it is so heavily layered in bureaucracy that proper ground level policing is almost impossible to do unless you are completely willing to forego any convictions.

Alas this culture also breeds the type of behaviour that has ruined the reputation of gardai around the country. Something simple like the introduction of proper print out fines without the paperwork would improve garda morale 100 fold, leading to more interest in doing their job. The same with court judgements for scum bags.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,509 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

When hospitalised after a hit and run, the investigating Garda was more obsessed with my lack of a hi viz jacket that anything else.
    to be fair - talking to a seemingly empty hospital bed must have been disorienting for the poor garda.

• Registered Users Posts: 884 ✭✭✭sy_flembeck

From memory it's as follows:

1. Fine & points as it was discovered he was a habitual offender.
    2. Apology. I was happy to accept this as, while his driving on the day was
    poor, I knew at the time he was shook himself and it was genuine.
    3. Careless driving conviction. Fine & points.
    4. Pending.

For what it's worth I report every time via Traffic Watch. This creates an incident which must be concluded. It also means the offending vehicle will be checked a number of times on Pulse with a reason for checking given each time.

Like anyone else here I could report hundreds of incidents but to do so would make me look like the neighbourhood loon so I only select the worst. With the new law in place that may change.

CramCycle wrote: »
    Something simple like the introduction of proper print out fines without the paperwork would improve garda morale 100 fold
    a colleague of mine was levied an on-the-spot €5 fine for jaywalking in Dusseldorf, and when i say on the spot - it was not just issued on the spot, he had to pay on the spot. he also offered to pay the fine of the woman who was similarly caught, without a wallet, and was barked at by the policeman for offering to do so.

that said, he was a bollox and i probably shouldn't be repeating his anecdotes because i can't be sure they're true. (hi Ger!)

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭LeChienMefiant

Hope you’re not too sore or out of work for too long. I’d be onto the staff in the pub at that junction yourself enquiring about cctv. I’ve had countless near misses there at rush hour but you’d think at 11am in a clear day you’d be grand.
    The blackbird is the name of the pub and may have CCTV, also the church car park entrance on that road and several newly renovated houses that may have CCTV. New Empire (?) Chinese restaurant is there also. Dublin Bus is a good shout too.

Share the road? With a lunatic who will leave a cyclist lying in the road with a fracture and drive off. Is there anything we can do to convince Garda this is important?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,725 ✭✭✭tnegun

From memory it's as follows:
    For what it's worth I report every time via Traffic Watch. This creates an incident which must be concluded. It also means the offending vehicle will be checked a number of times on Pulse with a reason for checking given each time.

I've reported to Traffic Watch before then got a call asking would I be willing to go to court did you get the same or what was the process?

• Advertisement

Collision this morning at junction of Morehampton rd and Bloomfield avenue near Donnybrook. Lady cyclist left hooked by a van driver - her bike was wrecked and she was very lucky to only suffer bruising to her leg (so far anyway). The frame was damaged in several places, she said the van drove over the whole bike basically.
    Luckily 2 DFB advanced paramedics were passing shortly after so they tended to her before she got off the ground.
    Meanwhile having gotten out initially and called emergency services the van driver "moved the van up the road a bit out of the way, be back in a minute", never returned. As a precaution I took a pic of his van before he left, including reg plate which has been passed on to the Gardai...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement