Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2019 In Between Grand Slam Thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,840 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

3 single handed backhanders in the last 4. First time since 1998, apparently. So much for it dying out

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭AllForIt

walshb wrote: »
    You are spot on. Age is important, but not as much in tennis...

Sure, you slow down and aren't as fast to cover distances etc, but it's a real slow slow decline. A man in his early to mid 30s, is still a young and strong man....

Get to 40 and over, and the decline increases....and, of course, injuries happen a lot in the sport; so if you can stay injury free, you can still be very competitive into your 30s and late 30s.

Plenty rests in tennis, and lulls in the action. Cardio fitness is important, but these lads don't need to be like middle distance runners or boxers, or even soccer players...

That's why all this PEDs nonsense talk in tennis baffles me, as if what these lads are doing is beyond belief...It's nowhere near beyond belief..

They are simply young enough men playing tennis day in and day out

The whole "how can so and so play for 5 and 6 hours." Well, for starters, he is not playing for 5 or 6 hours, and not near that time....

You've obviously never played tennis because what you said there is completely inaccurate from start to finish.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,683 ✭✭✭✭walshb

AllForIt wrote: »
    You've obviously never played tennis because what you said there is completely inaccurate from start to finish.

You’ll need to break that down, so. Your one liner won’t cut it..

Point out exactly the inaccuracies of what I have said....

I stand by it all. Nothing at all inaccurate.

Roger’s match is live on BBC 2 at 14:00.

Fed just lost set 1 6-3

• Advertisement

Fed gone.Very flat today!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

I think the dam is about to burst with this new crop of young talented players - if it already hasn't!

We expected it with the likes of Raonic, Dimitrov and Tomic a few years ago, but the other five players here look the business. And not forgetting Shapovalov and a couple of others just outside the top ten who show promise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭jr86

velo.2010 wrote: »
    I think the dam is about to burst with this new crop of young talented players - if it already hasn't!

We expected it with the likes of Raonic, Dimitrov and Tomic a few years ago, but the other five players here look the business. And not forgetting Shapovalov and a couple of others just outside the top ten who show promise.

2020 has to be the year we get a new slam winner

Djokovic is far more inconsistent these days, I can't see Federer ever winning a non Wimbledon major again and probably never Wimbledon again either, and Nadal seems to always have an injury cloud hanging over him

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,306 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

velo.2010 wrote: »

Aye, I do have a feeling that 2020 will see a new name on a GS trophy.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,306 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

jr86 wrote: »
    2020 has to be the year we get a new slam winner

Djokovic is far more inconsistent these days, I can't see Federer ever winning a non Wimbledon major again and probably never Wimbledon again either, and Nadal seems to always have an injury cloud hanging over him

Djokovic will still be dangerous for another few years, but his form has gone up and down the past year. Unreal performances followed by mediocre (by his high standards). Nadal still has the FO if he keeps himself free of injury and you wouldn't bet against him bagging one or two of the others while he is at it. As for Fed, I hope I am wrong, but that championship point at Wimbledon may prove to be the nearest he will get.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 grebonato

Do you know any good pub/bar in Dublin to watch the final this evening?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

grebonato wrote: »
    Do you know any good pub/bar in Dublin to watch the final this evening?

Trinity sports bar up on dame st would be my shout. Not my fav bar but they will definitely be showing it anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,055 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

And Thiem breaks back. Anybody's game now

Final set TB!

And a tie break it is. Slightly fancy Tsitsipas. Maybe more capable of pulling out a few spectaculars

Some good hitting there from Thiem.

Unreal backhand. The depth on it!!

The stuff of nightmares that forehand was.

Delighted for Greek lad!

Wow. Three-set games never feel like the real deal to me but I'll make an exception for that one:D

• Advertisement

Fair play to Tsitsipas. Great match from both of them.

Really enjoyed that

Hope Tsitsipas becomes the real deal

He's an absolute marketing dream for the sport. Good to watch, extremely photogenic and a good personality to boot!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,655 ✭✭✭✭josip

Pighead wrote: »
    Shockingly your prediction was wrong. Nadal out.

And that's the last you'll hear from Hector until the first round of the next tournament when the others may as well withdraw since Nadal is nailed on to win it.

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭lostcat

one of the better end of year tournaments in recent years, a handful of very high quality matches and an exciting final.

With only one of the 'big 3' making the semis, it may be the middle of the start of the future...or something. I'm looking forward to next year with some interest now.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,545 ✭✭✭Floppybits

After the ATP Finals I am looking forward to next year. I hope to see the big 3 challenged by these up and coming youngsters. Add into the mix the likes of Murray and Del Potro with their low rankings coming up against the higher seeds early in the tournaments. Zverev needs to work on the mental side of his game or he will be find himself been passed by the Medvedev, Tsiptsipas and Berrettini.

lostcat wrote: »
    one of the better end of year tournaments in recent years, a handful of very high quality matches and an exciting final.

With only one of the 'big 3' making the semis, it may be the middle of the start of the future...or something. I'm looking forward to next year with some interest now.

The younger guns are getting a lot more joy in the Masters' events these days and that's now also applying to the Tour Finals, with none of the last 4 winners being members of the big 3. Hopefully it soon transfers to the slams

Almost forgot that 2020 is an Olympics year too. Given its the other side of the world from the North American hard court swing I'd expect a poor participation rate tbh. I can't see the likes of Nadal or Djokovic being too pushed either, the slam count - and upcoming US Open - will be their priority

Almost forgot that 2020 is an Olympics year too. Given its the other side of the world from the North American hard court swing I'd expect a poor participation rate tbh. I can't see the likes of Nadal or Djokovic being too pushed either, the slam count - and upcoming US Open - will be their priority

Djokovic would, I think, give up a slam for a gold medal
    Federer will be keen to get one also to fill out the collection

its the last chance for both of of them. I would expect a solid enough turn out overall.

Djokovic will turn up for sure and make all the right noises PR wise, but privately I'd say there's 0% chance he'd swap a gold medal for a slam.

It would be a nice swansong to Federer's career perhaps, but I'd be very surprised if ND didn't fully prioritise reclaiming the US Open title.

As for participation, well Rio had plenty big names pull out and that's the same side of the world as north america.

The North American masters series and obviously US Open are where the ranking points and $$$ are to be won

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,840 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

3 Priorities next year - Fed for the Olympic Gold. Nadal for the AO to do the Slam of slams x 2, and the same for ND at the French.

• Advertisement

Djokovic will turn up for sure and make all the right noises PR wise, but privately I'd say there's 0% chance he'd swap a gold medal for a slam.

It would be a nice swansong to Federer's career perhaps, but I'd be very surprised if ND didn't fully prioritise reclaiming the US Open title.

As for participation, well Rio had plenty big names pull out and that's the same side of the world as north america.

The North American masters series and obviously US Open are where the ranking points and $$$ are to be won

I wont labour the point further after this, but I think you are wrong about how much Djokovic would like a gold medal for his country, its not personal or $$.

in other news, hard to know what to make of this new Davis Cup, it might pick up over the weekend, but it obviously lacks the old electric 'home crowd athmosphere at the moment.

Advertisement