Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Home taps

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

I’d take that. Sick of cans! I was gifted a tray over Christmas with not widge that was the final straw lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭Boscoirl

I refused to ever try the cans, would prefer not to drink lol

i recommend getting brand new glasses, and never wash them in the dishwasher, google "Beer Clean Glasses" it'll drive you demented, but its worth it.

The ones i started with were 7 or 8 years old, used for pints of milk/miwadi etc but when i got new ones it made a world of difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭joeyoey

Boscoirl wrote: »
    It took me a while to get the pints spot on. But got there eventually IMO.

Pints from the pub are a little creamier but I am putting that down to a better draw. Or maybe a cooler is better. But for me it’s an acceptable trade off.

There's debate about the mix of gas used. Apparently 75/25 is pub standard and generally what was available to the public is 70/30. However BOC are now selling to the public but its collection only. Stargas are now doing their own 75/25. This may or may not explain the creaminess but that pint looks perfectly acceptable.

I probably have 1 or 2 kegs left in my 70/30mix from Stargas. Will move to 75/25 then and see

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,009 ✭✭✭shmeee

It took me a while to get the pints spot on. But got there eventually IMO.

Pints from the pub are a little creamier but I am putting that down to a better draw. Or maybe a cooler is better. But for me it’s an acceptable trade off.

That's magic! Fair play. Smashing looking head.

I miss my system in the back kitchen. Here having a can but just ain't the same.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭Ivefoundgod

Planning on putting together a DIY kegerator for lager over the next few weeks. On my shopping list is the below stuff, am I missing anything?

-tower/tap with flow control
    -gas regulator
    -3/8 gas line
    -3/8 beer line
    -s type coupler
    -fridge

I'll obviously need to get a keg and gas as well.

Depending on the items you get some John Guest Connectors to connect the lines to the regulator, tap and coupler

some nozzles and jubilee clips would work too.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭joeyoey

S coupler for Heineken products and u coupler for Diageo. U will work for bulmers too.

Picked up the last keg of Guinness in my area this evening that I could source for a relation. Had a pint, Jesus Christ, she was magnificent!

James Gate stopping production of them again so?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,581 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Both Diageo and Heineken have stopped kegs again. Not a positive image to be seen to be abetting street drinking and shebeens when those are definitely going to be buying more of the product than legit home users just by sheer volume.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,151 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Event bars in Ballymount have loads of kegs. Guy in Ballyer told me yesterday he gave all his kegs back to the rep, he gave them to Event bars, and they paid his invoice. They're moving a lot of stock around like that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭alanhiggyno1

Decided to start my own group on FB if interested in any help setting up and to help out others.
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/234024088300596/?ref=share

Anyone know where I'd source a keg of Guinness? PM please. Thanks.

All the usual sellers OOS.

Evening All

On the 9 WhiteDeer Stout, second keg. Fairly new to home set up!

I have a Kegerator, Stout only new lines, 35 PSI, running at 3degrees. It runs about 36 pints per keg, both kegs so far after about the 10/12 pint my perfect pour turns to a 2inch head slightly increasing as I hit the last few pints. It’s happened on both kegs.

Done a bit of reading here and increased temp to 5degrees.

Any thoughts or suggestions on how I could trouble shoot this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,373 ✭✭✭Invincible

Soups123 wrote: »
    Evening All

I have a Kegerator, Stout only new lines, 35 PSI, running at 3degrees. It runs about 36 pints per keg, both kegs so far after about the 10/12 pint my perfect pour turns to a 2inch head slightly increasing as I hit the last few pints. It’s happened on both kegs.

I'd ring tomorrow and ask for Gordon, he'll talk you through it.

Invincible wrote: »
    I'd ring tomorrow and ask for Gordon, he'll talk you through it.

I reckon it’s my set up rather than the stout itself!

Evening All

Hi Soups,
    Gordon said to "drop back the pressure a bit or lower temperature".
    He's not yet on boards, replies quickly to messages on Facebook & Instagram.

Hope do you find it?

I’m on my last few pints in myy it Guinness keg. So need to start to look at alternatives.

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭jt69er

Evening All

what is your gas set up?

Hope do you find it?

I’m on my last few pints in myy it Guinness keg. So need to start to look at alternatives.

I take it we need a different coupler for the WhiteDeer?

• Advertisement

Hope do you find it?

It’s top draw, was dreading going off the Guinness but it’s really nice 20L is perfect aswell suits my pace

jt69er wrote: »
    what is your gas set up?

75/25 PSI always 3.5 to 3.7....

shmeee wrote: »
    I take it we need a different coupler for the WhiteDeer?

Yes a D type coupler, most the decent alternatives seem to need one. The lads at WhiteDeer sell them for 35.

Delivery to the door for 10e it’s well worth it

Hope do you find it?

It's a nice creamy pint,very smooth with a subtle chocolate flavour.

Hi Soups,
    Gordon said to "drop back the pressure a bit or lower temperature".
    He's not yet on boards, replies quickly to messages on Facebook & Instagram.

Drop back the pressure means lower it below 3.5 PSI right? Or move from 4 degrees to 2 or 3? Interesting as everywhere I read said stout should be about 6!

As a newbie there’s so much info that conflicts it’s gonna be trial and error

Thanks for your help

Drop back the pressure means lower it below 3.5 PSI right? Or move from 4 degrees to 2 or 3? Interesting as everywhere I read said stout should be about 6!

Thanks for your help

Yes,35psi shouldn't be too bad, but lower temperature a degree and see if it helps.
    Are you on messenger?

If the temp is constant then the head should not get bigger after 1/3rd keg is poured. That is normally what happens if a lager gas is used instead of stout gas.

Thanks for your help

When it is pouring it should be between 2 & 4 degrees. when it has settled it will be about 6.

9 White Deer Brewery have some interesting videos posted on YouTube:
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCC1e6JFuGZhyrD1RW3oL-JQ

• Advertisement

Yes,35psi shouldn't be too bad, but lower temperature a degree and see if it helps.
    Are you on messenger?

I am yes but limited Social Media user! I’ll drop Gordon a line

9 White Deer Brewery have some interesting videos posted on YouTube:
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCC1e6JFuGZhyrD1RW3oL-JQ

Great videos didn’t know you could pour in one!

When it is pouring it should be between 2 & 4 degrees. when it has settled it will be about 6.

That’s kind of not far off what I running. It works perfect until a get a bit of the way in.

Was thinking it might be my flow, i can’t adjust it, however if I pull tap towards me it comes out quiet quick and for topping I push it back it comes out slow... I was thinking maybe try pull it in one with the top back...

I’m a complete newbie to this so apologies for the stupidity!!

If everything is working as it should the last pint pulled should be the same as the first. The only thing that can then cause stout to go high/ have a bigger head mid keg is the gas, eg wrong gas/mix.

Great videos didn’t know you could pour in one!

You can pour Guinness in one also.

Is it a really just a marketing Gimmick?

I've had plenty of pints in a pub who pours it in one, and the pints are exceptional.

If everything is working as it should the last pint pulled should be the same as the first. The only thing that can then cause stout to go high/ have a bigger head mid keg is the gas, eg wrong gas/mix.

I suppose that’s the bit I’m trying to solve here! My gas mix is the recommended and the PSI is 3.5 again recommended but as I progress through the keg the head issue returns.... it’s not an issue with the keg so it’s trying to learn how I could adjust or if I’m doing anything obvious that’s wrong

• Advertisement

I suppose that’s the bit I’m trying to solve here! My gas mix is the recommended and the PSI is 3.5 again recommended but as I progress through the keg the head issue returns.... it’s not an issue with the keg so it’s trying to learn how I could adjust or if I’m doing anything obvious that’s wrong

I have come across a situation where a gas company had to withdraw a batch of gas cylinders due to incorrect mix in cylinders. What was happening was exactly the same as you are experiencing, Guinness pouring perfectly for about 30 pints, then head size getting bigger and pouring high.

I have come across a situation where a gas company had to withdraw a batch of gas cylinders due to incorrect mix in cylinders. What was happening was exactly the same as you are experiencing, Guinness pouring perfectly for about 30 pints, then head size getting bigger and pouring high.

Interesting, I’m using the Brew Crew and they seem to have great reputation, my pal is using it for Guinness a long time no issue!

I’ll troubleshoot a few things one being the flow speed, I’ve an in flow control kit ordered!

Don't think that's your problem, if it was you would have head issues from the start. In line flow controls usually cause more problems than they solve.

shmeee wrote: »
    Is it a really just a marketing Gimmick?

It is entirely a marketing gimmick, yet oft defended by Guinness zealots because they've fallen for it.

How long has it been a marketing gimmick in your opinion?

• Advertisement

How long has it been a marketing gimmick in your opinion?

Since the day it was invented.

It was invented to try deal with the fact that draught Guinness could be delivered in seconds, whereas cask Guinness took minutes for the fresh portion to settle before the stale portion could be pulled - so they invented some nonsense to keep delivery slow.

L1011 wrote: »
    Since the day it was invented.

It was invented to try deal with the fact that draught Guinness could be delivered in seconds, whereas cask Guinness took minutes for the fresh portion to settle before the stale portion could be pulled - so they invented some nonsense to keep delivery slow.

Since Guinness, Beamish, Murphys etc were invented?

Since Guinness, Beamish, Murphys etc were invented?

Draught delivery of those products is a 1960s development. Not one of them has needed or benefited from a two part pour since.

Well they have managed to fool a lot of people so. I have encountered a hell of a lot of publicans and punters in the last 20 years of my working life and I have yet to meet anyone who will accept a one pour pint of stout.

And fool is the important word

You wouldn't tell the difference. You couldn't tell the difference

People have been sucked in by very effective marketing

• Registered Users Posts: 3,588 ✭✭✭Working class heroes

People have indeed been sucked in by marketing. But to suggest that people couldn't tell the difference between a single and a two part pour is nonsense.

Racism is now hiding behind the cloak of Community activism.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,916 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

to suggest that people couldn't tell the difference between a single and a two part pour is nonsense.
    Why so?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,588 ✭✭✭Working class heroes

BeerNut wrote: »
    Why so?

If I put two pints of stout up on the counter, one a single and the other a two part pour are you saying you couldn't tell the difference?
    They would look completely different.
    It's like food presentation in a restaurant. If its lashed onto a plate without any thought you wont go back there. How something is presented adds to the experience and things "taste" better as a result. It's how we are wired. It's probably physiological and Diageo play to that in their campaigns, but it doesn't make it untrue.

Racism is now hiding behind the cloak of Community activism.

The only way I would drink a "one pour" pint is if I had a severe dose of constipation, even then the cure would be worse than the disease.

So all stout drinkers are fools?

• Advertisement
Advertisement