Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Pizza ovens

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Mick_g08

Ned01 wrote: »
    I'm using the Ooni Koda and find it great. It's a little small though which makes turning pizzas a bit difficult without taking them out.

That's a tricky one alright. I've a medium size peel, fits a 12inch pizza, so that will barely fit into the oven and make turning tricky too.
    I built a tall table out of some scrap wood and a euro pallet that I took apart, the idea being that the Koda will hopefully be at a good height for launching and keeping an eye on the pizzas.
    What do you have your Koda set up on?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,316 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Mick_g08 wrote: »
    That's a tricky one alright. I've a medium size peel, fits a 12inch pizza, so that will barely fit into the oven and make turning tricky too.
    I built a tall table out of some scrap wood and a euro pallet that I took apart, the idea being that the Koda will hopefully be at a good height for launching and keeping an eye on the pizzas.
    What do you have your Koda set up on?

A garden table with a couple of large tiles to protect from the heat. A 12” peel and this little lifesaver
    Datexx TimeCube Plus Digital Timer with 4 LED Light Alarm for Time Management, for HIIT Routines, Game Timer, Workout Timer - 10, 20, 30 and 60 Seconds Blue https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07KGGRR6L/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_9cBlFbP2MM1RX :)

A garden table with a couple of large tiles to protect from the heat. A 12” peel and this little lifesaver
    Datexx TimeCube Plus Digital Timer with 4 LED Light Alarm for Time Management, for HIIT Routines, Game Timer, Workout Timer - 10, 20, 30 and 60 Seconds Blue :)

Great idea with the timer, thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,372 ✭✭✭Ryath

Karu on an aluminium camping table. Don't find the heat under the oven bad. Was planing to get a bbq table / steel catering to put it on but thinking now I might just build something. Don't find it an issue taking the pizza out to turn it's only out for seconds every 20 to 30 seconds to give a quick quarter turn.

Use an ikea timer it's actually one of my most used kitchen gadgets. It's amazing when you start timing things cooking how many take 3 minutes!
    https://www.ikea.com/ie/en/p/klockis-clock-thermometer-alarm-timer-white-80277004/

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭Salvation Tambourine

Ned01 wrote: »
    I'm using the Ooni Koda and find it great. It's a little small though which makes turning pizzas a bit difficult without taking them out.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0771PVR1M/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I bought this round peel and after a couple of botched attempts at turning I can do it in the oven now without taking it out.

I believe it was yourself who posted a link with a tutorial so cheers for that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12 wip3out

I ordered a Ooni Pro about 2 months ago. expected to ship according to the website around the 25th of Aug. Surprisingly I received a notification that the Ooni had shipped. this was 3 days ago but the DPD tracking number hasn't updated since it was set up 3 days ago and just says Order information has been transmitted to DPD. Has anyone else experienced this when ordering their own Ooni?

I appreciate according to the website it says Covid may delay things but it seems odd that no tracking update in 3 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,438 ✭✭✭scarepanda

I think a pizza oven is what I'll be looking for for Christmas!

But, for anyone that's gotten the karu, what fuel are you using and what did you intend to use when buying? I'm leaning towards the karu because of the multiple fuels that can be used. But wondering if it's worth the extra cost after the gas burner is factored in? I am correct in thinking that regular kiln dried fire wood is suitable?

I was thinking originally I would get the gas burner for the Karu. To have it for the winter anyways might be handy on the damper days. Not sure if I need it now though. Happy using charcoal with two wax sawdust lighters. I usually throw in a handful of hardwood pellets too. It gets going very quickly as there's such a good draw on heats up over 400 in a less than 15 minutes. It's honestly quicker than my oven would take to get to 250.

Must weigh how much charcoal it actually takes but it's not much and very efficient, one load is easily enough for 3/4 pizza's. Haven't tried wood yet must source some hardwood kindling. The gas does have the advantage of being cleaner. I probably will get the adaptor at some point the odd cook with it would be some help to burn of some of the soot deposits and clean it. I'll still favour charcoal I like cooking with it and it's easier and safer bring a small bag of it when camping than a propane cylinder.

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭fmul9798

It was over a week before GLS even had it in NL for mine, then another 5 days to actually get here..
    wip3out wrote: »
    I ordered a Ooni Pro about 2 months ago. expected to ship according to the website around the 25th of Aug. Surprisingly I received a notification that the Ooni had shipped. this was 3 days ago but the DPD tracking number hasn't updated since it was set up 3 days ago and just says Order information has been transmitted to DPD. Has anyone else experienced this when ordering their own Ooni?

I appreciate according to the website it says Covid may delay things but it seems odd that no tracking update in 3 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 wip3out

fmul9798 wrote: »
    It was over a week before GLS even had it in NL for mine, then another 5 days to actually get here..

:eek::(

• Advertisement

Ryath wrote: »
    I was thinking originally I would get the gas burner for the Karu. To have it for the winter anyways might be handy on the damper days. Not sure if I need it now though. Happy using charcoal with two wax sawdust lighters. I usually throw in a handful of hardwood pellets too. It gets going very quickly as there's such a good draw on heats up over 400 in a less than 15 minutes. It's honestly quicker than my oven would take to get to 250.

Must weigh how much charcoal it actually takes but it's not much and very efficient, one load is easily enough for 3/4 pizza's. Haven't dried wood yet must source some hardwood kindling. The gas does have the advantage of being cleaner. I probably will get the adaptor at some point the odd cook with it would be some help to burn of some of the soot deposits and clean it. I'll still favour charcoal I like cooking with it and it's easier and safer bring a small bag of it when camping than a propane cylinder.

Ya, we have a charcoal BBQ that we use quite often, so the charcoal isn't an issue for us. (Do/can you pre heat the charcoal in a kettle?)

We also have gas left over from the gas fireplace which is now out of commission and will be replacing it with a stove so we'll end up having all three fuels!

scarepanda wrote: »
    Ya, we have a charcoal BBQ that we use quite often, so the charcoal isn't an issue for us. (Do/can you pre heat the charcoal in a kettle?)

We also have gas left over from the gas fireplace which is now out of commission and will be replacing it with a stove so we'll end up having all three fuels!

To be honest there's no need as I said the draw is so good on it. I'm sure you could use the chimney and transfer but I doubt it would save much time. The fuel opening is small enough as well don't think I'd fancy pouring burning coals into it.

Was your gas fire propane?
    The regulator that comes with it is for propane but people have changed it and used normal gas and works fine. It's not clear though website says propane only but I've seen comments that the instructions itself say butane can be used

• Registered Users Posts: 19,610 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Ryath wrote: »

Must weigh how much charcoal it actually takes but it's not much and very efficient, one load is easily enough for 3/4 pizza's. Haven't dried wood yet must source some hardwood kindling. The gas does have the advantage of being cleaner. I probably will get the adaptor at some point the odd cook with it would be some help to burn of some of the soot deposits and clean it. I'll still favour charcoal I like cooking with it and it's easier and safer bring a small bag of it when camping than a propane cylinder.

yeah Im in the same boat, have the Ooni 3 using wood pellets and had always intended to get the gas connection but havent as yet as the wood pellets do a perfectly fine job. Plus I think the connection is around 80 euro and then another 40 or so for the gas bottle so its a bit to spend just to change the fuel.

I might change my mind in the winter. I put the pizza oven into storage last winter but will be using it this one. I have a rain cover now so hoping that holds up well to an Irish winter. But like yourself was thinking that gas could be handier on cold nights in the winter in that you only have to go outside to light it and then go back out again 15 or 20 minutes later with your pizza ready to launch.

Ya it's propane. We'd only just bought a big bottle before the RGI was out to service the fire, so it'd be a nice way to use it up! AFAIK it'd be ok to use on the ooni, at least I hope so!

Tonight's effort: a little pepperoni, chorizo, prosciutto, rocket, red onion & feta. 48 hours slow proving in the fridge. Pizza stone in oven gets up to 300c at the back, 250c at the front, 8 minute cook. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Mick_g08 wrote: »
    Tonight's effort: a little pepperoni, chorizo, prosciutto, rocket, red onion & feta. 48 hours slow proving in the fridge. Pizza stone in oven gets up to 300c at the back, 250c at the front, 8 minute cook. :pac:

Looks lovely, but were the ingredients added after the dough was cooked?

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Looks lovely, but were the ingredients added after the dough was cooked?

Half and half! So the pepperoni, chorizo, red onion and most of the mozzarella went into the oven, then topped with the prosciutto and rocket after cooking. That was my pizza, last of 4, so I threw the remaining mozzarella and a bit of feta and green olives on too. The others in my house don't like uncooked mozzarella, but I don't mind it!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

My tesco has a new range of Italian flours. Brand is selezione casillo

1euro for 1kg of 00 "soft wheat" plain white flour, 11% protein.

https://www.tesco.ie/groceries/Product/Details/?id=306938540

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭the_galway_fry

Nokotan wrote: »
    Has anyone got any decent tutorials or something for turning with a round peel? I got a 10" round, aluminium peel and tried turning in the Ooni Koda at the weekend and it didn't really go to plan.

Where did you buy the peel, haven't seen them for under 60 anywhere, presuming that it's a long handled one of course

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭Salvation Tambourine

Where did you buy the peel, haven't seen them for under 60 anywhere, presuming that it's a long handled one of course

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0771PVR1M/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I got this one. It doesn't have a long handle though. I use an oven mitt glove while using it and it does the job.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭philidub

The short gozney one was 55 Inc delivery, it's a good size for the koda

• Registered Users Posts: 7,878 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

Anyone ever put a pizza oven inside an indoor fire place? Or is that a mental idea?

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭the_galway_fry

Thanks lads need a long handled one for mine though

Anyone ever put a pizza oven inside an indoor fire place? Or is that a mental idea?

Yes, it sounds mental! Don’t do it!

Yes, it sounds mental! Don’t do it!

:( ok, are you sure its not the good type of mental?

:( ok, are you sure its not the good type of mental?

I’m sure. Get outside with you. :)

Id say you could do it and likely get away with it but if it burns the house down the insurance company would not be long in washing their hands of it, they cover accidental fires not householders taking risks with fire . Before I bought the Ooni I wondered could it be used indoors but now I own it theres no way would I chance it with the heat and smoke that it produces.

Now if some stove manufactuer came along and invented a wood burning stove with a pizza slot and stone above it that could be a different matter. But no way would I put an Ooni or similar inside an open fireplace and run it, I think it would be asking for trouble over time.

ok ok ok I forgot about burning the house down you win but it would have been great

ok ok ok I forgot about burning the house down you win but it would have been great

:D

yeah I like to take a risk myself but the thoughts of a smouldering house after the fire brigade have departed and then the insurance assessor showing up to ask you how it started are not good :pac:

• Advertisement

Nokotan wrote: »
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0771PVR1M/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I got this one. It doesn't have a long handle though. I use an oven mitt glove while using it and it does the job.

I got the small short handled one on Amazon that Nokotan suggested, that'll be for turning inside the Ooni Koda when it arrives (finally received my shipping email from Ooni today!).
    I got this one from Nisbets a few months ago and its perfect for my kitchen oven and should fit the Koda too (for launching). Not sure how long a handle you need though?

https://www.nisbets.ie/vogue-wood-handle-aluminium-pizza-peel-31x36cm/ge208

Advertisement