Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

2010 Cooking Club Week 6: Chicken & Chorizo Rice Bake

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭lily lou

I'm dying to make this it looks delish and my mouth is watering at the thoughts of it. Just wondering though do I need to cook it in a dish with a lid or is it ok to cover it in foil?? I can't afford to buy a new dish plus I have no room in my tiny kitchen for any more stuff:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭nice1franko

Cover tightly with foil and it'll be just as good!

GStormcrow wrote: »
    Made this again tonight. One of my faves and can make it without the recipe now. Very handy for bringing into work for lunch too. Tonight I added some cajun spice to the chicken breasts (skinless so the spice adds a little flavour) and fried them off. The mushrooms are a must now but didnt bother with any chilli or herbs because i was in a rush. Came out just as delicious as every other time :-) Already looking forward to seconds for lunch tomorrow :P

Yeah, mushies sound good. I'll defo try it with them next time.

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭aquascrotum

Have made this a few times now. First time was definitely nice but possibly a bit bland - the rice was barely coloured and hadn't soaked up a lot of flavour.

I've been ramping up the amount of chorizo (I make half or 2/3rds portions of the original recipe but would use a good 180-200g chorizo, halved and fairly finely sliced), additional paprika added (I add about a dessert spoonful when frying off the chorizo), and have started adding about a 1/2 tsp of dried chilli flakes in with the stock and wine which gives it a lovely background heat.

I also add a good handful of frozen peas just after adding the stock and wine which result in lovely sweet bombs of juicy flavour going off in your mouth when you eat it.

Well anyway each version gets better - the moral of the story is more spicy=good! My last version had lovely coloured and moist rice, chorizo very well cooked to the point of burnt but softened by soaking in the stock, and I'd kept the proportion of onion up too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭tishiewishie

This looks lovely, will definately give this a go :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,204 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Finally got around to making this. Turned out very well, tasty.

chickenchorizobake.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 413 ✭✭jw297

Had this for lunch today, and just wish I'd tried it sooner! I'll be having it for dinner again tomorrow, it was gorgeous. I added some chilli, but looking forward to trying some different combinations mentioned in this thread. It's a bit lacking in greenery so doesn't look as pretty as the original, but had a great flavour

picture.php?albumid=1655&pictureid=9167

• Registered Users Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭Dotcomdolly

I tired this tonight for the first time - very tasty, thanks OP

Rather than breasts - €6 for 3, I used a pack of Dunnes (free range as always) oyster thighs. Only €2.99, and 50% extra free at the mo - so 8 pieces, enough to feed 4. I trimmed some of the excess skin/fat off before browning them. I love chicken thighs , the meat if moist & tastier imo than breast.

I also used brown rice, and despite a quick soak and parboil, it took 70 mins to cook!

One thing I did do which I thought worked well was I took off the lid for the last 15 mins and ramped up the heat from gas 4 to 7 which really crisped up the skin of the chicken.

Lots of rice left - going to have some tomorrow with a fried egg on top and a squirt of salsa brava I brought home from Spain.

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭aquascrotum

CIMG0579.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭irisheddie85

Hi I have been lurking around the cooking club for a while now mostly for ideas, but not actually cooking an entire recipe.

Well just cooked this dish today and it is gorgeous, I think i left it in about 5 mins too long but the rice is a beauitful colour and full of flavour and the chicken is perfect with the chorizo. will definatly be cooking this again and trying some of the other recipes if they are all this good

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭mazken

I had my eye on this recipe for quite a while and made it tonight! It was delicious...instructions very easy and clear to follow! Thank you!!!! It'll be something which will become one of my staple dishes :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,220 ✭✭✭✭Loopy

I made this the other night for a few friends.
    Not sure what happened tbh (likely, too much wine) but instead of using 30g of butter, I used 300g.
    WTF I was thinking I don't know :confused:
    The scary thing is I was using my phone so actually logged onto the laptop to double check the amount and in my retarded mind it still read 300g, which is almost a large block.
    I wouldn't mind but one of my mates dosen't eat butter.
    Anyhow, it tasted ok but was a tad greasy and we did go
    through a fair amount of napkins.
    I gave it to my brothers the next day and they loved it (although, they'd eat shit with sugar on it) and asked for the recipe.
    Here's a bad quality pic.
    71dd2d9d.jpg
    I will attempt it again soon, sober!
    Edit: Jesus, it looks so greasy in the pic - I best ask my mates to get their tickers checked.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,423 ✭✭✭Morag

Had a go at this today as the butcher has a deal on with chicken thighs.

5913755320_a2e8baeffc.jpg

Add some veg in cos of the kids, just yellow bell pepper, diced egg plant and some mushrooms, it was very tastey and I got asked to make it again some time soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭joshrogan

Cooked this tonight for my parents, was lovely thanks for the recipe!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Have a batch in the oven right now. Marinared chicken thighs, breast and drumsticks in cayenne, garlic, paprika, pepper, chicken stock and oil. Also added mushrooms and peppers to the orignal recipe. Smells lovely already, can't wait to eat it. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭Truley

I made this last night, was nice. I definitely think it needs more veg though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

Made this last night. Was delish.

Didn't put the wine in though.

Second attempt with the correct amount of butter \o/
    It was bloody marvellous!

e3784784.jpg

That looks delicious

It was and we didn't need the defibrillator to hand this time..
    :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Elevelyn

Made this the other night, was lovely and everyone who says its bland are doing it wrong!!! thanks alot gonna be a regular from now on

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭gra26

Made this for dinner tonight! Added in mushrooms and pancetta bits. Was lovely, very tasty. Very filling though. Even the fussy 9 year old liked it, so that's super impressive!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

I fancied trying something new today and this looked very doable. It turned out exactly how I'd hoped and was damn tasty. Cheers for the recipe, will be putting it on the rota again.

wgolfn.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,680 ✭✭✭confusticated

Tried this tonight, was really nice but took ages to cook and the rice cooked really unevenly - some of it looked like rice pudding and other bits were still hard! I did it in a flattish pyrex dish though, might have something to do with it...other than funny rice textures it was great though, and made loads of it so I'll be eating it for the next few nights.:D I'll just have to keep making it to get the rice right I suppose. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭blueshed

making this for tonights dinner, going to add some red onion and red and yellow peppers.

• Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭pts

Made it last night. I tried to adjust the recipe since I was only cooking for two. I ended up with the right amount of chicken, but too much rice & chorizo. It didn't go to wast though as the other half loved it and brought the leftover rice & chorizo to work for lunch :D.

A very good recipe OP, will definitively make it again. Apologies for the crappy camera.

209319.jpg

• Moderators Posts: 24,367 ✭✭✭✭ChewChew

Anyone who has made this... I want to make it tonight, have all the ingredients bar the wine.. is there anything I can use to substitute? I'm not going to get to a shop to buy wine...

There's not much wine in this recipe so just use water and it'll be fine. Maybe add a half teaspoon of sugar and a tablespoon of white wine vinegar but it's not going to make a massive difference to the taste.

There's not much wine in this recipe so just use water and it'll be fine. Maybe add a half teaspoon of sugar and a tablespoon of white wine vinegar but it's not going to make a massive difference to the taste.
    Brilliant. I have those ingredients too!! :) Ok I'm gonna start this now, so I'll post pictures later :D

• Advertisement

This was delicious! I used chicken thighs and it was so simple to make but absolutely bursting with flavour! Really enjoyed it and will definitely be making it again. Glad to have enough left over for lunch tomorrow :)

chickenchorizo.jpg

Advertisement