Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pubs/Restaurants Reopening June 29th

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭Hubertj

L1011 wrote: »
    The spacing needs to be 2m+ between people at a table as well as between tables to be considered 2m+

The Belgard Inn was probably the only pub big enough to do that, used to be able to seat over 1000 in its 70s config!

Why would I put 2m between my wife and I? 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 14,025 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

L1011 wrote: »
    The spacing needs to be 2m+ between people at a table as well as between tables to be considered 2m+

The Belgard Inn was probably the only pub big enough to do that, used to be able to seat over 1000 in its 70s config!

Went to the bar in the new Hyatt in the Coombe on Wednesday, they said there was no time limit as they had the required social distancing measures in place - in fairness its a massive front bar and everything is well spaced out. Sat for 2.5 hours drinking after ordering €9+ per person

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,795 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

There's also some pre-existing barriers between tables there as far as I remember - was in there pre-Lockdown.

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

I went to my work "local" on Wednesday evening with 4 colleagues (we're still all WFH). We got there just before 6pm. All ordered food. I left at 11.30pm while the others were finishing their drinks. Pub is in a very corporate area so was really quiet, I'd say they're happy to be getting money in the till . I can't see how the 105 minute thing is really enforceable.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,003 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Publicans might want to re-read the guidelines ahead of this...

AN GARDA SÍOCHANA will this evening begin conducting checks of licensed premises nationwide in relation to adherence to the public health guidelines.
    https://www.thejournal.ie/gardai-coronavirus-checks-pubs-5141075-Jul2020/

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭GiftofGab

Was in town last night. Damn lane was packed with everyone drinking on the street. Guards came and shut every pub down or at least stopped them serving take away pints.
    Queue for Pyg was massive.
    Went to market bar. Had it booked from 9.30pm to 11pm. Was refused a pint at 11.10 because my time was up. A lot of tables were empty at that stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,019 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

GiftofGab wrote: »
    Went to market bar. Had it booked from 9.30pm to 11pm. Was refused a pint at 11.10 because my time was up. A lot of tables were empty at that stage.

Slots are supposed to be 105 minutes now so that's a pity.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭Galadriel

I had dinner booked in town last night, the restaurant I went to stuck to the rules but town was a complete mess. Crowds of drunk people everywhere, bars on Camden Street were packed, no social distancing or crowd control.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭Hubertj

I was in Searsons yesterday evening. Very nice experience. Tables well spaced and partitioned.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭ThewhiteJesus

I went to the morgue in templeogue yesterday, not a very pleasant experience with the rules, but a local Smurf did come In to check up so you can’t blame them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

I went to the morgue in templeogue yesterday, not a very pleasant experience with the rules, but a local Smurf did come In to check up so you can’t blame them
    Let me know when you are going again so we can go somewhere else

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭ThewhiteJesus

Edgware wrote: »
    Let me know when you are going again so we can go somewhere else

0 out of 10

• Registered Users Posts: 10,229 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Booked a table in the Bankers on Dame Lane for 17:00 yesterday evening, perfect set-up, Dame Lane was empty (may have been because of the weather). The amount of people coming in and leaving once they were informed they HAD to have food :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,876 ✭✭✭Easy Rod

Birneybau wrote: »
    Booked a table in the Bankers on Dame Lane for 17:00 yesterday evening, perfect set-up, Dame Lane was empty (may have been because of the weather). The amount of people coming in and leaving once they were informed they HAD to have food :rolleyes:

What’s the food like there? Do they have TVs with sport? Would like to go somewhere with a decent set up to watch a match this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,229 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Easy Rod wrote: »
    What’s the food like there? Do they have TVs with sport? Would like to go somewhere with a decent set up to watch a match this week.

Food's good, yeah. I've been drinking and eating in there for at least 15 years. They don't have Sky Sports and they didn't put Southampton v City on last night, BBC.

I don't know if it's just to discourage gangs of people in or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

Birneybau wrote: »
    Food's good, yeah. I've been drinking and eating in there for at least 15 years. They don't have Sky Sports and they didn't put Southampton v City on last night, BBC.

I don't know if it's just to discourage gangs of people in or not.

I was under the impression that sport was not to be shown for the time being for exactly that reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭Galadriel

dan1895 wrote: »
    I was under the impression that sport was not to be shown for the time being for exactly that reason.

I was in a local bar/restaurant on Monday and they had a match on. There were no crowds though as they were only taking bookings and everyone had to have food and leave after the alotted time

• Registered Users Posts: 17,963 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Was in town on Saturday, we had two tables booked. Was very well run, even when we asked could we move the two tables together they said unfortunately not, all staff were masks , asking you to take your drink off the tray so they didn't touch it, etc... Majority of people at tables seemed to have food. Nothing was said to us about 105 mins... we left on our own accord after 2 & a half hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭imme

Why can't people understand that it isn't business as usual.

I'm baffled at people.

Get your food and drink and fook off.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,613 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

dan1895 wrote: »

Did the Govt ever say that? I thought it strange that initially the limit was supposed to be one hour but then publicans lobbied the Govt. and it suddenly got increased to 105 minutes. 105 minutes seems an arbitary figure until you realise that it is exactly the length of a football match- 90 minutes + 15 for half time. The lobbying by the publicans was also done just in the run up to the Premier League returning.

• Advertisement

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Did the Govt ever say that? I thought it strange that initially the limit was supposed to be one hour but then publicans lobbied the Govt. and it suddenly got increased to 105 minutes. 105 minutes seems an arbitary figure until you realise that it is exactly the length of a football match- 90 minutes + 15 for half time. The lobbying by the publicans was also done just in the run up to the Premier League returning.

I definitely saw it somewhere but it may not have been official or government advice and it was at the beginning of all this so probably back about the end of March.

Muahahaha wrote: »

I definitely saw it somewhere but it may not have been official or government advice and it was at the beginning of all this so probably back about the end of March.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,613 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Yeah I think I heard mention of it too but it might have been one of those provisions that got quietly dropped when the publicans went lobbying the Govt. There was a week or 10 days when all sorts of suggestions were being bandied about in the media.

Plus I found it interesting that it turned out to be 105 minutes and not an hour an a half, it fits perfectly into being allowed to watch a Premier League game from start to finish including the 15 minutes for half time. It also more than covers GAA matches when they return whereas the initial suggestion of 60 minutes wouldnt have covered that either as you need 85 minutes to watch a full GAA game when half time is accounted for.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,795 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

PL matches are currently at least 107 minutes due to water breaks, as it happens. Very rare to be finished in ~110.

It was implied that sports and loud, live, or DJed music would be stopped due to the increased likelihood of people talking loudly - the louder you talk the higher the transmission risk. Don't know if that ever got followed through on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭GiftofGab

Hoping to go to the Workmans Club at the end of the month. Fingers crossed it will be somewhat decent. I'll be basically in quarantine again from Sept to Dec due to studying.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

I ate out on Saturday night at a restaurant and we were politely handed the bill just after an hour and 15 minutes. Restaurant was well set up, staff were wearing the face shields and the only minor issue was that it was a little hard to hear them sometimes, but that was it.

Advertisement