Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

best fantasy books

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

being listening to I am Legend by Richard Matheson on my mp3 player. much better than the travesty of a film

• Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

So I finally started the Dark Tower series. Read the Gunslinger in a day (was supposed to be studying :eek: )

Gonna have to buy the rest of them as soon as my exams are over!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Just started "Spirit Gate" by Kate Elliott. I'm about 200 pages in, and it's very good so far. Nice language and prose as well as a well-building storyline.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭Mark Hamill

First mention goes to Terry Pratchett. He's my favoutite author, I have pretty much everything he's ever written (including "Once More, with Footnotes").
    Then the wheel of time series by Robert Jordan, hopefully to finished this year with book 12.
    If no-one has ever read Robert Rankin, I'd suggest him too. His books are genius, they're like getting stoned through reading :D ("The Hollow Chocolate Bunnies of The Apocalypse" is a good way to get into him)
    I started the first Shannara book but didn't like it (I found it very Tolkienesque and I hate Tolkien), but I found "The Word and The Void Series" to be very good, and I actually love the "Magic Kingdom of Landover" series (its one of my favourite series ever).
    Everyone should read Neil Gaimen. Start with "American Gods" and get sucked into his other books (His short stories are brilliant)
    Other good authors I've come into contact with are Robin Hobbs (Farseer, Liveship Traders, Tawny man series), Ian Irvine (View from the Mirror, Well of Echoes series) and David Eddings.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Malazan books of the fallen. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 495 ✭✭dimejinky99

Farseer trilogy & the Tawny Man trilogy by Robin Hobb!!

so amazin...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭Wreck

I started this series last month after hearing so much hype about them and I have to say the first three books were pretty disappointing, although some parts and characters were good. I'm a third of the way through House of Chains and absolutley loving it. Maybe I've finally just clicked into Eriksons style or something, but I'm totally engrossed in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

Readin the first one now and it is great. It always takes me a chapter or two to get into the swing of an author.

I'm not one for poems either at the start of every chapter

Generally I prefer blunt and plain language but really enjoying the story in this book

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

I think a lot of the starting poems/passages are pretty bad. Much better ones in The Prince of Nothing Series.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 DionysusReborn

They're good. for the one who said that they had just read the black magician trilogy,You should read the other series, 'The age of the Five'. Priestess of the white, Last of the wilds and Voices of the Gods.

• Advertisement

Yeah read them, not as good as the first series though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,207 ✭✭✭meditraitor

The prologue for Toll the hounds is on the malazan forum already. Cant wait for this one.:cool:

Sorry just seen the thread regarding the prologue

Is the prologue not in the end of the last book?

Is the prologue not in the end of the last book?

Now that I think about it, it should be. I will have to check reapers gale when I go home.
    Although with the fuss they made of being able to publish it on the malaz forum I doubt it was.

Very good all the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

Currently readin' Memories of Ice and it is class, really enjoyin it. Big two thumbs up from me anyway.

So many excellent characters. memories...

• Registered Users Posts: 966 ✭✭✭GO_Bear

Sabriel , Lireal, and Abhorsen by Gareth Nix , would be my favorite at this point --- but also mentioning WoT series by R.J , and Age of Five by Truidi Cavana ( i taught it was good! )

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭eVeNtInE

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 chevy

Hi all,

I read the chronicles of Conan by robert jordan a few years back and presumed that this were used for the films. In london recently and seen books written by Robert E. Howard titled the "original Chronicles of Conan".
    Anyone know the backgroung to these books. Are they any good etc. ?

Chevy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 411 ✭✭Faerie

GO_Bear wrote: »
    Sabriel , Lireal, and Abhorsen by Gareth Nix , would be my favorite at this point --- but also mentioning WoT series by R.J , and Age of Five by Truidi Cavana ( i taught it was good! )

I loved the Sabriel trilogy too but I thought the other trilogy by Trudi Canavan was much better than the Age of Five - The Black Magician I think it was called. Books about gods freak me out a bit!
    I really loved the fantasy trilogy by Joe Abercrombie, The First Law. It's funny, smart and a little bit different to your typical fantasy books.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭leomessi

Best Fantasy that I've read
    A song of Ice and Fire series (second only to the LOTR)
    The Discworld series
    The Alice in Wonderland/through the looking glass books
    Anything by Tolkien, C.S Lewis, Feist
    Duncton Wood
    Harry Potter
    Wind in the Willows

And the Worst...
    Anything by DAvid Zindell,Robert Jordan,Gemmel, Eddings

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Captain Awesome

Do read:
    -George R.R. Martins A Song of Ice and Fire is Great.
    -Raymond E. Feists Riftwar.
    -David Gemmell. Anything by that man is gold.
    -Elizabeth Haydons alright.
    -Robert Jordans WoT is definition Epic.
    -Discworld. Shame about the Altziemers.
    -J.V Jones Sword of Shadows and The Book of Words.
    -Terry Goodkind Sword of Truth.
    -Terry Brooks Sword of Shannara and the rest.
    -Tad Williams is pretty good.

Do not read:
    -R.A Salvatore makes me cry with its cheese.
    -Janny Wurts emo literature.
    -Ed Green can't write.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭eVeNtInE

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 Garroldy

chevy wrote: »
    Hi all,

I read the chronicles of Conan by robert jordan a few years back and presumed that this were used for the films. In london recently and seen books written by Robert E. Howard titled the "original Chronicles of Conan".
    Anyone know the backgroung to these books. Are they any good etc. ?

Chevy

I was obsessed by Conan as a kid 25 years ago. robert e howard was the original writer/creator of Conan in the 30's. Bit of a wild man and general lunatic. He was portrayed in a movie...can't remeber the name off hand. He died quiet young...put a gun to his head aged 30. He was credited as the father of 'sword and sorcery' fantasy.

His legacy was continued by L. Sprague de Camp in the 50's ? and Lin Carter collaborations later on, based on scraps of stories by Howard. this must have been long before mister boring Robert Jordan got involved. I'd hate to see waht he did to Conan, had him constantly playing with his hair braids no doubt. Like I say its been a long time ....your post has got me inetrested in going back for another look, I think Conan got's bad name from association with Schwarzenegger in the 80's ? To get to the point, as a kid i was blown away by them.....as an adult I'm apalled the Jordan stuck his paws in ..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 Garroldy

Spellsinger saga by Alan Dean Foster

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

One of the best debut novels I've ever read:

'The Lies of Locke Lamora' by Scott Lynch - A bit like "Ocean's 11" in a fantasy milieu in the sense that it's a group of thieves pulling a long con., this was truly excellent stuff. Great pacing and lots of neat twists. It's Book 1 in a planned series of 7 with the second book book being a decent (albeit not as good) installment.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭timbel

Mr Crystal wrote: »
    I'm liking Brandon Sandersons Mistborn series. He's the fella who's writing the last Wheel Of Time book.

Yes, I have to agree, I only picked it up after finding out he was doing the last WOT book

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 frenchtaxi

leomessi wrote: »
    Best Fantasy that I've read
    A song of Ice and Fire series (second only to the LOTR)
    The Discworld series
    The Alice in Wonderland/through the looking glass books
    Anything by Tolkien, C.S Lewis, Feist
    Duncton Wood
    Harry Potter
    Wind in the Willows

And the Worst...
    Anything by DAvid Zindell,Robert Jordan,Gemmel, Eddings

CODSWALLOP!!! jordan, gemmel and eddings? replace those with the discworld series, c.s lewis and the wind in the willows now!

and then you might aswell completely remove alice in wonderland and duncton wood!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭aine-maire

Robin Hobb...I love the Farseer,Tawny Man and Liveship trilogies, but did anyone else hate Soldier Son? I don't know why, it just did not appeal to me as the others did.
    Also,why not David Eddings? His books are amazing...
    By the way, read Twilight!! Pure escapism...(it has its faults,but don't we all?!)
    :cool:

• Advertisement

aine-maire wrote: »
    Also,why not David Eddings? His books are amazing...

Belgarath the sorcerer and Polgara are a nice read..................... the Mills and Boons of fantasy (very enjoyable;)>

Advertisement