Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Second Captains Part II

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭manafana

Phil way overstayed his welcome, but initially he actually helped improve alot of things, didn't help that he got the job in way he did either mind

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭MattressRick

I thought I liked the rugby pods until I saw today's one and the first thought was "Ah Christ another rugby podcast".

I think if they're doing even twice weekly podcasts during the world cup I'll tune out. Daily ones and I'd probably throw in the towel entirely.

There's a bit more humour now and again out of the odd football contributor or Ken, that I don't think is there with Simon (nice and all as he seems), Horgan or Gordon Darcy if he's on. Very serious stuff overall. And very boring.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 hibknight

On the football pod yesterday they left in Ken redoing his lines when talking about the Spanish footballer Olga Carmona whose father passed away. I think it was last week where they had an audio bed playing over a bit of a conversation and I've noticed the audio levels can be a bit all over the place. They need to get back to the quality production that they've had in the past!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,061 ✭✭✭jones

Yeah I thought that was weird they left that in. Not a big deal but it's not something I've heard before from the lads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭Beersmith

Yeah lots of quality issues regarding editing in recent months. Your man (cillian?!) left them and Brano is there now. Not sure what background he has in audio editing

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Battery Kinzie

That has happened a few times before, to be fair

I heard that too but wasn't sure why Ken needed to redo what he was saying. Think he said it was shocking for Carmona and then said it wasn't, and wanted another go at it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 980 ✭✭✭Dick Turnip

Is Killian not back working with them though? He's name checked as the producer for the RTE show on Saturdays.

Maybe he's just back for that show, and Branno is doing the regular show.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,674 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Could've sworn one of them mentioned Cillian last week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,418 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

I always assume that when production quality drops then Mark must be away. Don't know if this is actually the case, but it's what I think. With the lack of new audio beds for ages now (apart from the world cup one) maybe he is off doing something else?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,758 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭atilladehun

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,596 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Isn't he meant to be doing another podcast like the George Gibney one? Maybe he's busy at that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭MyPeopleDrankTheSoup

richie sadlier is a very earnest contributor. i know the topic at hand is a serious one, but I kind of sigh when I hear he's ever on, I know it won't be a light episode

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,323 ✭✭✭Did you smash it

He ain’t on much though, they seem to have retired him or they mutually decided to end his involvement in general football discussion and have him on to discuss stuff that half sport, half the human condition. I prefer him used this way as I don’t think he has much to say about stuff that’s just the game.

if I was being unkind about Richie I would say he got his foot in the door in journalism by sharing juicy insights from his playing days.

When he ran out of those he got by on the rte panel by asking questions when asked questions and appearing to think very deeply about questions he was asked but not provide a very interesting reponse. This annoyed the three “wise” men on the rte panel who favored a more straight talking approach.

Now he gets by because the folks on the rte panel are so incredibly boring, stupid and reliant on cliche that Richie isn’t any worst than them and at least he appears intelligent. He’s also cheap and fills out a suit well.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,795 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

"He does look a little bit like the devil, if the devil was to assume human form and try to tempt Gaelic Football down an evil path, he probably would look like Jim McGuinness"

• Registered Users Posts: 6,586 ✭✭✭jaykay74

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,493 ✭✭✭The Davestator

I think Richie is a brilliant communicator who is far ahead of most of their contributors when it comes to nuanced issues such as the Rashford one. Hes extremely articulate and thinks before he speaks. I agree with others, hes better in this area than general football.

Richie is grand but he's soooooo boooooooring that i'm glad he is no longer really on the general football chat.

Everything seems to get deep with him very quickly. That's not to say i dont like listening to him and on certain subjects he's perfect (players chair or pieces like the Greenwood story) where his seriousness suits the occasion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,674 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Meanwhile, I think I posted this last year too, it kinda surprises me that they don't have US Murph on to talk about the Aer Lingus NFL College game in the Aviva on Sat.

Since he's mad for college football, it's a pretty big deal for NFL fans here and the whole mention Aer Lingus every five seconds deal he does when he comes over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭Beersmith

The answering a question with a question is the most annoying thing about him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭bur

Wish Ken had his own podcast.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,493 ✭✭✭The Davestator

I see OTB are doing all sorts of offers and discounts already. Must not have went as well as they expected.

That would mean he'd be leaving Second Captains or less involvement!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 104 ✭✭halfpastneverr

How come Ken isn't on the RTE pods? he wasn't on Conan or Irvine Welsh episodes I've listened to so far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,491 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

He cuts across some of the football contributors at an infuriating rate at times. Happened there during the week on one of the football ones with Jonathan something or other.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 104 ✭✭halfpastneverr

And Murph isnt? he cut across Welsh about 10 times with his usual inane witticisms. His questions also sound like a 10-year-old kid having to read an essay out in front of the class too. I'd rather Ken's awkwardness than Murph's hilarity!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,638 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Genuinely though - Why is only Murph & Eoin? Ken was on it in previous years AFAIK.

He definitely didn't do it last year either. I remember commenting about it, saying how Ken has it easy - he only needs to pay attention to soccer whereas Eoin and Murph have to stay on top of all sports and do the radio show too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,491 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

Murph isn’t great either. Eoin is the best interviewer, he can do both genuine banter and genuine empathy. Ken has had multiple disastrous interviews ( Gary “let me finish” Neville, Roy “I’m surprised you would ask me that” Keane). If he interviewed Conan he would have awkwardly brought up Jay Leno and told Conan he was actually wrong in his handling of the whole affair.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,792 ✭✭✭Raoul

Yeah but Ken is the reason most of us are subscribing. No chance I would be subscribing for Eoin and Murph.

I think he knows when to reel it in. Quite a lot of the political interviews have been great. I think he can be a more disciplined interviewer if he knows the leash is shorter.

He tends to go off script and get a bit improvisiontal when talking football on the show because he can be a bit more loose in that format - and it's kinda his style - and a lot of the time he's talking to people he knows - Johnathan Wilson, Dion Fanning, Miguel Delaney etc, etc - so it's a lot more casual and really, at the end of the day, a bit of a laugh.

Murph does appear, occasionally, to have a wider range of cultural knowledge than either Ken or Eoin. But he just can't keep his mouth shut half the time. I listened to the Radio One show yesterday and he was at it again - interrupting, talking about himself - it's not terrible, but he does butt in more in interviews than the other lads.

Eoin is the best interviewer. Asks decent questions, can alter his tone and approach depending on the guest, seems to listen and doesn't really insert himself, too much, into the conversation.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,580 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

3 on 1 in a SC Saturday interview would be too many.

2 on 1 is perfect for it.

It's the combination that attracts me. Any of them on their own just isn't as good, they need to bounce off each other.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 634 ✭✭✭cheese sandwich

Agree. I find Murph irritating too on occasion but they’d miss his enthusiasm if he wasn’t there. He also seems to have the widest sporting interests of the group

I think Murph is a better interviewer than Ken, when Ken does interviews, it's kinda hard to explain but I find he has a slightly odd way of asking questions and the back and forth isn't as smooth as you'd have with Eoin

My biggest gripe with Murph would be that he's overly enthusiastic about everything or he can be a bit of a lick arse.

I enjoyed his and Eoin's their interview with Eimear Ryan recently but he acted a bit like she's one of Tipp's greatest camogie players of all time, which she (and she admitted) clearly isn't

I was enjoying that until Murph stopped her answering a question and instead had his own life experience that wasn't the same, but allowed him to say that he was considered a good footballer by John O Mahony. And I think he got to tell everyone yet again that Jim Carney is his uncle.

Him and Ken constantly interrupt guests at an infuriating level.

The one thing I'll say about Ken is he doesn't shirk tough questions. There's obviously an audiobed about him interrupting Gary Neville but the Roy Keane one if I remember was based on a few questions people are generally afraid to ask Keane.

• Advertisement

I honestly thought the Neville interview was great.

I'd seen Neville occasionally previous to it being interviewed by people who were outside the football bubble - not real football men etc - and I thought he came across as a bit of a bully and I think Ken did a great job bringing that side of him out.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,795 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

You cheeky bastid

What you think doesn't really matter.

Both those audiobeds are superb

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,580 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

I love the love the lads have for The Rodfather. Nice Bump for Dion's pod at the end (I haven't listened tbh).

But Eoin's voice got all dreamy when he said Roddy Collins... to my ears at least😊.

After today's rugby podcast, they should replace Shane Horgan with Andrew Trimble, he's far more engaging to listen to

Can they not do better than John Brewin every week?

I think him and Ken are buddies. I like him but he can get a bit stumbly over his words at times. He's no Jonathan Wilson that's for sure

I found Andrew Trimble's response to the questions about PEDs in rugby was very odd.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,718 ✭✭✭Cartman78

Came here to post the same actually.

I rarely listen to the rugby coverage tbh but was out running and couldn't fast forward it.

His defence was a bit flimsy imho....he didn't sound convinced by what he was saying himself even

• Advertisement

Totally agree. He doth protest too much I think.

Advertisement