Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Arcade Fire - Mega Superthread. All gig/new album discussion.

Options

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭MilanPan!c

Agree with everyone, it's a real grower. Still definitely feel the midsection is too repetitive but it does get better with every listen.

Yes, all songs are too long and there's too many of them, but it's a grower.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭punchdrunk

anyone else hearing Blondie's heart of glass in "sprawl part II" :D

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭sleepyescapade

love love love this album!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

Everybody can agree it's a couple of songs too long, but I've yet to see any two people agree which couple of songs. I wouldn't give up Month of May or Wasted Hours for anything, although I'd happily bury Suburban War and City With No bloody Children.

Grew on me like a weird fungus, this did, I have to say. First rip did it no justice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭ElaElaElano

Everybody can agree it's a couple of songs too long, but I've yet to see any two people agree which couple of songs. I wouldn't give up Month of May or Wasted Hours for anything, although I'd happily bury Suburban War and City With No bloody Children.

Grew on me like a weird fungus, this did, I have to say. First rip did it no justice.

You know I've spent all weekend trying to come up with a good 'grew on me like a...' analogy. Well played!

Also, Rococo is my new favourite song. (Subject to change- a lot).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,975 ✭✭✭iMuse

I really hope the first Rip didnt put people off the album, It sounds really flat compared to the real thing. Sprawl 2 is my fave song on the album

I think the most recent promo for the Madison Square Garden webcast is probably a hint of what Terry Gilliam has planned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

Anyone else getting the feeling that this record is made for an Arcade Fire drinking game?? Take a shot every time they sing the word "Kids" :D:D

Surely Pitchfork deserve citation here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭eclectichoney

Surely Pitchfork deserve citation here.

???? Sorry? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 40,861 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

I'm underwhelmed and disappointed overall.

It's an average album, no more than a 6 out of 10, and not a patch on previous offerings. It starts off well, lulls massively in the middle, then picks up at the end. When it's good it's great but when it's bad it's awful, and quite boring.

Listenable but by no means a classic. I won't be revisiting it nearly as much as the last two albums unfortunately.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,350 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

???? Sorry? :confused:
    pitchfork happened to mention the exact same thing in their review

S.M.B. wrote: »
    pitchfork happened to mention the exact same thing in their review

Oh - I honestly haven't even read it (I gave up on PF a long time ago), I was just thinking of the Roxanne drinking game thing. Fools seldom differ, eh? :o

• Registered Users Posts: 9,350 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

I believe you electichoney, but many wouldn't!!!

Still haven't fully digested The Suburbs myself.

S.M.B. wrote: »
    I believe you electichoney, but many wouldn't!!!

Still haven't fully digested The Suburbs myself.

Actually - just out of interest I checked the review on Pitchfork just now and it was only published on the 2nd August so they stole *my* line dammit! :mad::mad::D:D

Actually - just out of interest I checked the review on Pitchfork just now and it was only published on the 2nd August so they stole *my* line dammit! :mad::mad::D:D

I stand corrected. I put Pitchfork before a boardsie. Shame on me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

punchdrunk wrote: »
    anyone else hearing Blondie's heart of glass in "sprawl part II" :D

I'll be showing this post to a mate that laughed at me for suggesting that!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭punchdrunk

it so does! I knew i was wasn't crazy :o

Pitchfork also agrees.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,094 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Just had a first listen there. This is a very rough first impression, but so far it seems to start off extremely well (first 5-6 songs), become a wee bit duller in the middle, and then ends extremely well.

Will have a few proper listens over the next day or two!

The digital version bought direct from arcadefire.com has a built-in iTunes slideshow music video...thing in each song, to accompany each of the tracks. It was put together by the band and Vincent Morrisset, the guy who did the interactive music videos with them before.

It also has embedded links in each song related to various themes of the lyrics etc., so Deep Blue has a wiki link to Alan Turing, and Month of May has links to various pages about the stormy May weather of Montréal. Cool idea.

• Advertisement

Pitchfork also agrees.

Ah For god sake - did Pitchfork just copy this thread verbatim in their review or what like? :rolleyes: I knew there was a reason i don't bother reading it anymore.

It is a real pity that the album is so long - as there are definitely 4 or 5 decent tracks here, but as it is, the bad ones outweigh the good imo. If there were only ten or so tracks it would feel like a much better record.

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭KJF

It's growing on me more and more with each additional listen.

Critics are loving it by all accounts
    http://onesentencereview.com/music/arcade-fire-the-suburbs

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭Liathroidi Dana

I'm really loving this album so far. I agree it could do without a few songs in the middle, but everything else is exceptionally solid. My second favourite album after Neon Bible.

Just one question, is there much difference in terms of quality between the CD and the iTunes version (which I have)?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,094 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I've just listened to it properly, and I'm very very impressed. The middle is still the weakest part, but it's a sprawling (heh), haunting album. Sprawl II is simply amazing, love the simple but effective lyrics: ""They heard me singing and they told me to stop. Quit these pretentious things and just puch the clock". The opening to Suburban War is win. I'd heard it before the album comes out, but the title track gets better with each listen. I even didn't mind Month of May with a lyric sheet in front of me! Perhaps overlong, but it's a powerful album IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭MikeHoncho

This is a top class album. Vastly superior to Neon Bible and almost as good as Funeral. I do agree its a little flabby in the mid section but in a day and age when a lot of albums will be called great for only having 2 or 3 decent songs this is totally forgivable. This album has 10 or more songs any band in the world would be proud to have written and recorded.

Its going straight in to my top 5 albums of the year so far anyway.

The rumour seems to be early December.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,774 ✭✭✭✭Basq

'Sprawl II' is just sublime.. a definite contender for song of the year!

Regine's vocals are stronger than ever on it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

I'm still hating it :(

Just doing nothing for me, guess my tastes are in the idfferent place than they were :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 26 foals

anybody no wat time the live streaming on you tube of the madison square garden gig is . how do u watch it on you tube , arcade fire channel ?

• Advertisement

You'll be able to watch it here:
    http://www.youtube.com/user/ArcadeFireVEVO

They go on around 10pm New York time, which I'm told is 3am here? It should be available to rewatch afterwards for a bit anyway though.

Advertisement