Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A kind gesture from your club

Options
  • 02-12-2020 11:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 32

Due to so much golf being missed because of the two lockdowns has your club made any kind of a gesture towards the members.
    Either a nominal reduction on your subscription, a voucher for the pro shop, a meal voucher in the clubhouse, etc. ???

Will certainly continue to be a member of my club, I just feel it would be just a nice thing to do!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭newport2

Due to so much golf being missed because of the two lockdowns has your club made any kind of a gesture towards the members.
    Either a nominal reduction on your subscription, a voucher for the pro shop, a meal voucher in the clubhouse, etc. ???

Will certainly continue to be a member of my club, I just feel it would be just a nice thing to do!!

€125 discount off next years subs + 4 green fee vouchers. Not much, but I think it was good they at least gave something.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,824 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

no
    :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

Nada. Sub's going up next year to try to off-set the losses we've had from having virtually no green fees all year.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭Ollieboy

Subs not going up, fair play to them.

I think you should define the question better, I wouldn’t expect members club to do anything because that’s silly because they own the club unless they are wealthy club.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭Golfgraffix

Our club have been really good, especialy considering the hit they have taken as a resort course.
    • 20% reduction on next year's membership, once its paid by end of this year, if not its a 10% reduction.
    • 4 Ball Voucher for Next Year
    • 4 Rounds of Golf at Mount Juliet (recripocal deal)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

Nothing mentioned so far, just a hint that we actually had a good year in an email that will be expanded on at the AGM

• Registered Users Posts: 32 super saints

Our club have been really good, especialy considering the hit they have taken as a resort course.
    • 20% reduction on next year's membership, once its paid by end of this year, if not its a 10% reduction.

That’s some ‘gesture’, would never imagine or expect any club to do all that....well done!!!!

Got an email from my club this week regarding the AGM being online and any members questions to be emailed to the executive, contemplating asking if there were any plans to show some goodwill to their loyal members!?!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,653 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

That's a great gesture and way to reward loyal customers.

Usually the best deals are always for new customers.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭KevH1984

Our club aren't giving us anything back either. However because of Covid and the influx of new members this year the club have managed to reach a settlement on our outstanding debt which was with a vulture fund for the past 4 years. Due to the generosity of some of our members we have now settled that debt and the club is now debt free and back in members hands for the first time in 10 years. I think that's better than anything the club could give us back as a gesture.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭Ollieboy

KevH1984 wrote: »
    Our club aren't giving us anything back either. However because of Covid and the influx of new members this year the club have managed to reach a settlement on our outstanding debt which was with a vulture fund for the past 4 years. Due to the generosity of some of our members we have now settled that debt and the club is now debt free and back in members hands for the first time in 10 years. I think that's better than anything the club could give us back as a gesture.

That’s an amazing achievement by your committee and fair play to the members for supporting the club.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭KevH1984

Ollieboy wrote: »
    That’s an amazing achievement by your committee and fair play to the members for supporting the club.

Ye given the climate and lockdowns we really weren't sure what would happen. But it's an unbelievable result for us and shows how important a members club can be. We've all seen clubs go to the wall over similar problems down the years and we were determined that wouldn't happen. We're only a modest sized club too and an important outlet for the area. There will be big celebrations when we can get back to a bit of normality.

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭rickis tache

Nope. Said they were reducing fees from 990 to 790 if paid before end of January. No mention of what price will be after January 31st.
    Part of package in previous years for 990 was 4 green fees and restaurant credit for 40 euro and 20 euro driving range.
    There will be no bar and range credit in 2021 and the green fees are now being sold at a rate of 4 for 100 euro.
    Not a great package so will be moving on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,884 ✭✭✭downthemiddle

Nope. Said they were reducing fees from 990 to 790 if paid before end of January. No mention of what price will be after January 31st.
    Part of package in previous years for 990 was 4 green fees and restaurant credit for 40 euro and 20 euro driving range.
    There will be no bar and range credit in 2021 and the green fees are now being sold at a rate of 4 for 100 euro.
    Not a great package so will be moving on.

How can you say a 20% reduction in the overall fee is not a great package?

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭getoffthepot

No

How can you say a 20% reduction in the overall fee is not a great package?

The usual package for the last 5 years I am a member was 990 with 40 euro bar/restaurant credit and 20 euro driving range credit and either 4 or 8 green green fee vouchers depending on if you paid in January or later.
    790 but not getting any credit for bar and range or green fees vouchers.
    Owners made it out as a gesture this was a great deal......then try and sell the green fee vouchers at "50% savings of 4 for 100 euro" which must be purchased at time of paying subs, when we were getting them for free before.
    Sorry if I didn't make it clear in original post

The usual package for the last 5 years I am a member was 990 with 40 euro bar/restaurant credit and 20 euro driving range credit and either 4 or 8 green green fee vouchers depending on if you paid in January or later.
    790 but not getting any credit for bar and range or green fees vouchers.
    Owners made it out as a gesture this was a great deal......then try and sell the green fee vouchers at "50% savings of 4 for 100 euro" which must be purchased at time of paying subs, when we were getting them for free before.
    Sorry if I didn't make it clear in original post

it still cheaper
    why would you want the green fees anyway? its your own course and is only something you are going to give away anyway

Seve OB wrote: »
    it still cheaper
    why would you want the green fees anyway? its your own course and is only something you are going to give away anyway

The vouchers were great to bring friends to play. They want to charge them/me to bring them now. Reduced income for clubhouse as out of 500 members who would bring guests to play and dine after would of been s nice extra cash. I understand they want to make cash now but don't disguise it as an gesture to us members when all they are doing is pulling back the curtain to show what the breakdown of the fees were.
    Anyway I am moving so it doesn't affect me going forward.

The vouchers were great to bring friends to play. They want to charge them/me to bring them now. Reduced income for clubhouse as out of 500 members who would bring guests to play and dine after would of been s nice extra cash. I understand they want to make cash now but don't disguise it as an gesture to us members when all they are doing is pulling back the curtain to show what the breakdown of the fees were.
    Anyway I am moving so it doesn't affect me going forward.

so i suppose you are only going to consider joining somewhere that gives you free green fee vouchers?

i don't really see the big deal there tbh. i bring people to clubs im a member of because they want to come and play the course, not because i have a free voucher.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭marko99

Due to so much golf being missed because of the two lockdowns has your club made any kind of a gesture towards the members. Either a nominal reduction on your subscription, a voucher for the pro shop, a meal voucher in the clubhouse, etc. ???

Not golf but sailing - My club has offered a 50% discount on 2021 subs to incentivise members to pay up for this year when they are getting very little value (if any) from their membership.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭BigChap1759

6 weeks worth of subs pro-rata refund onto card and being promised a gift TBC for those that resign for 2021, no too shabby looking at the rest of these posts

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Golfhead65

No, Lost 3 and a half months due to lockdowns etc and basically club(owners) have put on the poor mouth even though they bent the no greenfees rule coming out of 1st lockdown with a SPECIAL COVID membership of 250 euro which was greenfees in disguise and packed out timesheets every day and not by full members, They've said they did this work and that work etc stuff that would have been factored into last year's fees. I've no problem with no refund from last year as that's banked and done with but I'd have thought that they would have made some sort of gesture to fully paid up members from last year and reduced fee for this year.. Myself and a lot of other members are not happy about it and most probably play our golf elsewhere next year

There’s me thinking there might be a gesture from the club that has a thriving membership, just got an email to say there is a €50 increase for 2021, which now takes yearly sub to 4 figures (estimated projections made before the pandemic for 2020 were not reached, but still a profitable year).

Disappointed because I feel us suckers are being taken for granted....with the likelihood of another lockdown in the new year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 289 ✭✭tyivpc5qjx0f2b

There’s me thinking there might be a gesture from the club that has a thriving membership, just got an email to say there is a €50 increase for 2021, which now takes yearly sub to 4 figures (estimated projections made before the pandemic for 2020 were not reached, but still a profitable year).

Disappointed because I feel us suckers are being taken for granted....with the likelihood of another lockdown in the new year.

That seems a relatively myopic way of viewing your club's decision.

Almost no two clubs will take the same decision in the current situation because no two clubs are faced with the same array of circumstances.

My own club is a resort club so I understand that there are additional factors to consider beyond a members only club which is the closest comparison in terms of price and quality close to me. It's not an apples to apples comparison.

You should try to view it in relative terms and consider what factors drove their decisions before concluding you're being played for a sucker.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭joebloggs32

Unfortunately a vulture fund took control of the debt at the start of the year.
    It now looks like the membership structure will be changed to try and squeeze more cash from the members. Hopefully the additional 100 new members who joined due to covid will not decide to head off. Plenty of room for those members to stay in the club.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,653 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Nothing from my club yet. We've had 140 new members so the guts of an extra €170,000 with no real increase to expenses so hopefully they will be some reward for the loyal members.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Seve OB wrote: »
    so i suppose you are only going to consider joining somewhere that gives you free green fee vouchers?

i don't really see the big deal there tbh. i bring people to clubs im a member of because they want to come and play the course, not because i have a free voucher.

Actually no I am leaving because I am joining a club that costs half the price as I don't plan on playing as much over the next few years and there is no value in paying the fees and only playing 20/30 times per year.

I did bring guests to play the course and they do want to play it as it is a nice course. The fact I give them the voucher is nice too.

I think we maybe taking this off thread a little as the original post was is there a gesture being given by the club and really the answer I believe is no. I could be wrong.

I understand your standing on the position of loyalty to your club as applaud you on it but for me personally I think my loyalty lies with elsewhere.....if you get what I mean.

Actually no I am leaving because I am joining a club that costs half the price as I don't plan on playing as much over the next few years and there is no value in paying the fees and only playing 20/30 times per year.

I did bring guests to play the course and they do want to play it as it is a nice course. The fact I give them the voucher is nice too.

I think we maybe taking this off thread a little as the original post was is there a gesture being given by the club and really the answer I believe is no. I could be wrong.

I understand your standing on the position of loyalty to your club as applaud you on it but for me personally I think my loyalty lies with elsewhere.....if you get what I mean.

So effectively no matter what the gesture you were likely leaving the club anyway?

It seems quite a number of things would need to have happened for you to stay.

Perhaps your current club cut your rate by upwards of 50% in order to match the rate of your new club.

That seems somewhat unrealistic.

I’m going to guess that the deal you were offered something in the region of an estimated 15% savings all in will be better than average.

That seems a relatively myopic way of viewing your club's decision.

Almost no two clubs will take the same decision in the current situation because no two clubs are faced with the same array of circumstances.

My own club is a resort club so I understand that there are additional factors to consider beyond a members only club which is the closest comparison in terms of price and quality close to me. It's not an apples to apples comparison.

You should try to view it in relative terms and consider what factors drove their decisions before concluding you're being played for a sucker.

Hard not to be “myopic” when a club is bursting at the seams with members and who have a very healthy bank balance.

For me it’s genuinely the principle of it, so many are under a lot pressure financially and personally and golf is a fantastic pastime and outlet especially for those that are feeling the strain that the pandemic has bestowed!!!
    Not giving any kind of token gesture shows that it does not have a feel or sense of community spirit, which all good sports clubs try to achieve.

Hard not to be “myopic” when a club is bursting at the seams with members and who have a very healthy bank balance.

For me it’s genuinely the principle of it, so many are under a lot pressure financially and personally and golf is a fantastic pastime and outlet especially for those that are feeling the strain that the pandemic has bestowed!!!
    Not giving any kind of token gesture shows that it does not have a feel or sense of community spirit, which all good sports clubs try to achieve.

Again that seems myopic to me.

Take the previous posters example where a large part of debt was rid of but the patrons didn’t feel it in their pocket.

That said, they may likely feel it in future years as the club is more financially robust.

I just don’t think that a club bursting with members and an increase in fees automatically means that they’re not considering members.

If given a preference, I’d rather prudent financial decisions than short term token gestures.

• Advertisement

Again that seems myopic to me.

Take the previous posters example where a large part of debt was rid of but the patrons didn’t feel it in their pocket.

That said, they may likely feel it in future years as the club is more financially robust.

I just don’t think that a club bursting with members and an increase in fees automatically means that they’re not considering members.

If given a preference, I’d rather prudent financial decisions than short term token gestures.

So any club be it golf or otherwise that are doing something for its members because of because of the lockdowns are not being financially prudent!?!

Totally understandable for a club not to make a gesture if they were under pressure, but they are not!!!!!!!

Advertisement