Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Arcade & Retro Repairs & Mods, all new recipe, with no added MSG...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭ripperman

Thanks for the info guys. Definitely going to look into this option.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭TechnoFreek

ripperman wrote: »
    Thanks for the info guys. Definitely going to look into this option.

Here's another +1 for grant.
    If he can't help or offer an opinion you may give up!

Here's another +1 for grant.
    If he can't help or offer an opinion you may give up!

:D Cheers.

eddhorse wrote: »
    Also where do the red/yellow and blue/green/white/red go to?

Apologies edd, hadn't noticed this post. The blue/green/white/red from the 60 in 1 board are together to make the composite. They're hooked up to the red and yellow coming from the monitor. Then the ground on the board is hooked to the ground from the monitor too (Not shown in the pics).

Basically the cable coming from the monitor is split open into red, yellow and black and I've attached as above.

As mentioned though if this isn't the problem I'll seriously consider shipping for a service.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,536 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

So, bought this
    ZjY2NTEzZGYxMDNlMTA5MGZkYjI5MDRjMjcxMjVhZTVFw7uvGB2HV2Ka5b6jvpG5aHR0cDovL21lZGlhLmFkc2ltZy5jb20vNzJlYmVmNjEyOTMzNjNiZTllMDRhYzUyNGIyZDM0OGMwNmU3MzAzNGViMWFkMWNhMzBhZjU2OTFlN2MxNGJiNS5qcGd8fHx8fHwzOTZ4MjkyfGh0dHA6Ly93d3cuYWR2ZXJ0cy5pZS9zdGF0aWMvaS93YXRlcm1hcmsucG5nfHx8.jpg
    And I was going to turn it into a RP0 arcade plug'n play but, realised, that I have quite enough of that stuff in my life already, but not enough Saturn arcade stick!
    There are plenty of options out there but the best are pretty pricy so I decided that the stick would be ideal for converting.
    Had one of these awful things, surplus to requirements, so it was for the chop!
    Saturn%20Pad%201.jpg?1322741924
    And the pcb mod is supposed to be pretty easy...
    So, one Kerbdog soldering session later,
    7m5Pi6pm.jpg

Next, to pop it into the XArcade Tankstick and connect it up, it should all work just fine.

Also, there is a quandary of whether or not to spray the control panel surface a uniform colour or see if there's a vinyl out there, the controller is discontinued but if anyone has any suggests I'd be only too delighted to hear them!

Edit: Another quick question, if I wanted to replace the bat type stick and buttons with something more appropriate, are the fittings in there standard? Or is there further modding to be done?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,718 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

Paint a 'Streets of Rage' theme on it :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,536 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Paint a 'Streets of Rage' theme on it :)

Go f#!k yourself!

• Registered Users Posts: 34,540 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Go f#!k yourself!

Indeed, Golden Axe or nothing. :pac:

Ok so, "Golden Rage" is an ideal compromise..

Make it so.

Master of the Universe

GoldenRage.png

GA1Axel.png

• Advertisement

:eek:

Where's an Admin when you need one?

Admin!!!
    Help, help!
    I'm being oppressed!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Come and see the violence inherent in the system! :D

K87vzo.jpg

Master of the Universe

Greatest game of all time? :pac:

o1s1n wrote: »
    Greatest game of all time? :pac:

Right you heathens,
    The surgery worked well this morning, with the transplant of the Saturn pad PCB going into the Xarcade Tank-Stick solo edition and, with some wire stripping and swearing for good measure.
    The stick works fine so far, played a bit of Layer Section and it's perfect...
    Happy days!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,851 ✭✭✭Steve X2

Picked up another Amiga 1200 the other day(nice and minty) and have decided to upgrade it with some of the newer accelerators boards and addons.

Just ordered the below card. It's a weird one, you get the full expansion on the board, but its locked down and small payments will unlock the various proc speeds and ram. In app purchases for Amiga hardware :)
    It's not so bad, 40 euro unlocks the whole lot I think and its pretty cheap for an Amiga accelerator.

https://icomp.de/shop-icomp/en/produkt-details/product/aca1221.html#filter=*

Also went for the new flicker fixer/scandoubler. I had an older version of this years ago and it wasn't the best. This is supposed to be a huge improvement and has a DVI connection(pushing analogue VGA signal via an adapter along with the digital DVI).

https://icomp.de/shop-icomp/en/produkt-details/product/Flickerfixer_Scandoubler.html#filter=*

Few other small addons as well, will post some pics and thoughts when they arrive and get installed.

Got one of those ACA-1221 card a well back, seem to work fine although I've barely used it let alone install the virtual upgrades :(

Make sure you clean the Amiga edge connector before plugging this in and its a very very tight fit so plenty of pressure needed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Steve X2 wrote: »
    Picked up another Amiga 1200 the other day(nice and minty) and have decided to upgrade it with some of the newer accelerators boards and addons.

Just ordered the below card. It's a weird one, you get the full expansion on the board, but its locked down and small payments will unlock the various proc speeds and ram. In app purchases for Amiga hardware :)
    It's not so bad, 40 euro unlocks the whole lot I think and its pretty cheap for an Amiga accelerator.

Ha, that's mental...though I suppose it makes sense from a production point of view (you don't have to produce loads of different spec'd boards). When you do unlock the paid features on the boards, are they permanently unlocked then via flashing or something? Or is it done through software that has to remain active on the hdd or something?

Myrddin wrote: »
    Ha, that's mental...though I suppose it makes sense from a production point of view (you don't have to produce loads of different spec'd boards). When you do unlock the paid features on the boards, are they permanently unlocked then via flashing or something? Or is it done through software that has to remain active on the hdd or something?

The license key is written to the board, set a jumper and run a cmdline script to do the update. It permanent ,so tied to the physical board if you decide to sell it on.
    He does offer a 10 trial demo of the maximum config the board supports so you can make sure its stable on your motherboard.

In fairness, it's dirt cheap as far as Amiga accelerators go. Usually you're talking 300-500 for a decent one. Although this is not a massive performance boost, but will be perfect as it will only be running classic and AGA Amiga games via whdload.

I've got another A1200 with a 68060 accelerator in it, it's a beast of a thing but all those 060 boards are old hardware. I don't think we'll see any new boards come out until someone sorts out an FPGA version.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,961 ✭✭✭Doge

Has anyone ever ordered this Vectrex Cap Kit from Console5?

http://console5.com/store/vectrex-cap-kit.html

Does anyone know what brand the capacitors are? They seem quite cheap.

I'm actually ordering something else from Mouser at the moment, and trying to decide which to go with, I can get Panasonic and Nichicon caps from Mouser, but it will cost a lot more.

For a while now my Vectrex takes a long time to power on completely, so it looks like some of the caps are on the way out.

Master of the Universe

The cap kit he gave me for my toei chassis is still working perfectly.

Myrddin did the Vectrex cap kit for me too but unfortunately it didn't bring the veccy back to life (turns out caps werent the problem)

So, stupid n00b question
    How much would a region free, modded Xbox 360 cost me these days?
    Is it possible on one of the later more robust models?

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    s it possible on one of the later more robust models?

Afaik all models are now RGH'able :)

So the upgrades arrived for my new Amiga 1200. The ACA1221 addon is a nice and cheap board(by Amiga accelerator board standard anyway) that is perfect if all you want to do is upgrade the A1200 to run Workbench/WHDLoad and classic games(think the Amiga classics, AGA and CD32 games) with improved frame rates and loading and a general performance bumps all around.

I purchased the standard ACA1221 and did the in app purchase style upgrades to max it out(40 euro). So that’s €79.98 for the base board with 9MB RAM enabled and a slight boost in the default clock speed of the CPU. Then €40 to unlock all the hardware on the card(64MB ram, 28Mhz proc and maprom features). The maprom feature is handy as I only have kickstart 3.0 on this A1200 and can just load the 3.1 rom file into memory on boot(big performance increase having the rom in memory as well). I also stuck a real time clock on the card, not needed but why not :)
    There are much more powerful addons out there, but this works well for the basics and classic games and I do recommend it.

Also got the Indivision AGA MK2cr Flickerfixer / Scandoubler, it’s pretty awesome and is a giant step above even the best RGB cable. The picture is rock solid and I have it running via a pure digital DVI(as opposed to analogue VGA) on a modern LCD(it can also push analogue VGA if required). I’m still working on getting the best resolution and screen mode, but even 800x600@60Hz looks fantastic. That was €150, but totally worth it.

I installed up a new 8GB CF HDD with full WHDLoad to make the most of the system.

Got all the bits from https://icomp.de/shop-icomp/en/shop.html#filter=*

Will post up a few pics a bit later, but its nothing too exciting looking.

I'd love an A1200 :( Never owned one, & it has held that sense of mystique for decades

Cool, interested to hear more about the Indivision AGA MK2cr Flickerfixer, is it only really usable for desktop stuff ? What happens non-AGA games on it, are they upscaled in someway ?

Cool, interested to hear more about the Indivision AGA MK2cr Flickerfixer, is it only really usable for desktop stuff ? What happens non-AGA games on it, are they upscaled in someway ?

Well I was playing a couple of classic non AGA on the screen and they looked great. But mostly tested A1200 AGA and CD32 games via WHDload.
    I'll be testing it more over the next day or two. Spending most of my free time at the moment flying my new quadcopter while the weather is good. Have to make the most of our 4 day Irish summer :)

Edit:
    Bit more info.
    -Flicker fixer with DVI-I output for the A1200
    -A1200 internal, plugs over Lisa chip, no other chip-connections (other internal flickerfixers used an additional Alice-adapter)
    -Full 24 bit colour depth for most screenmodes and output frequencies
    -All OCS/ECS/AGA screenmodes displayed and scan-converted, output is always over 60Hz and flicker-free
    -16MB frame buffer on-board
    -Pixelclock now can output at a maximum of 135MHz
    -Use screenmodes such as HD720 (1024×768) and XTREME (1280×1024) on your Amiga 1200!

Must do some retrobrighting while the sun is out :)

• Advertisement

Must do some retrobrighting while the sun is out :)

Nothing like close some proximity to nuclear fusion to bring out the retrobrighters :)

Advertisement