Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Irish Concepts of Urban Living Must Change

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 426 ✭✭MrAbyss

Woke Hogan wrote: »
    Most of the population of this country live outside of Dublin, they're the ones actually paying for city-level amenities and utilities for the people in the capital.

You might want to do a bit more research my friend.

If is wasn't for the colossal amount of wealth taken from Dublin tax payers and given to provincial Ireland most of you would be living in mud huts gnawing on a blighted spud while mauling your rosary beads for salvation.

and that is not even hyperbole.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,178 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

MrAbyss wrote: »

If is wasn't for the colossal amount of wealth taken from Dublin tax payers and given to provincial Ireland most of you would be living in mud huts gnawing on a blighted spud while mauling your rosary beads for salvation.

What a load of sh1tetalk. It must be tempting to think them bleedin culchies are taking your money but very little of it is arriving down here or any other remote part of the country.

There is huge wastage in getting the council or the government to do anything. To cut down a few saplings will cost them thousands. Private contractors are absolutely milking it. That is why you see no value for money.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,745 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

What a load of sh1tetalk. It must be tempting to think them bleedin culchies are taking your money but very little of it is arriving down here or any other remote part of the country.

There is huge wastage in getting the council or the government to do anything. To cut down a few saplings will cost them thousands. Private contractors are absolutely milking it. That is why you see no value for money.

Read this ye bleedin' culchie

https://www.independent.ie/business/personal-finance/property-mortgages/property-tax-from-our-cities-still-props-up-rest-of-country-38443184.html

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/consumer/dubliners-get-up-to-50-times-less-funding-than-rural-dwellers-1.1730130

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭Woke Hogan

The talk can never turn to the idea of high rise flats anywhere in this country without memories of skeletal junkies, dirty faced ruffians stoning rival football teams and equine maltreatment from the capital. Once again Dublin ruins something for the rest of us.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭FreeThePants

KiKi III wrote: »
    This is a silly complaint easily planned for. Three floors of underground parking for 10 floors of apartments. Simple.

I have also lived in high rise buildings in several large cities, and the car parks were almost entirely empty, with any of those even there belonging to people who lived in the suburbs, but sublet the space from someone so they could drive in to their downtown job.

Of course, this also has to do with the fact that public transport is immeasurably better in those cities than in Dublin.

• Advertisement

The talk can never turn to the idea of high rise flats anywhere in this country without memories of skeletal junkies, dirty faced ruffians stoning rival football teams and equine maltreatment from the capital. Once again Dublin ruins something for the rest of us.

For a man in your 50s you have a very odd disliking of Dublin, you should know better, it's not the worst city by any standards.
    Anyway there are plenty of well run high enough apartment buildings in Dublin, we just need more of them. Ballymun was a long time ago. I don't know how this thread has turned into a Dublin bashing thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,675 ✭✭✭buried

Don't build sky scrapers, build ground scrapers, build the towers into the ground. The view might be a bit $hite, but everyone is looking into some make of screen in their free time anyways. Use the excavated soil taken out from the ground to extend the landmass out into the sea thwarting the impending sea level rise.

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

For a man in your 50s you have a very odd disliking of Dublin, you should know better, it's not the worst city by any standards.
    Anyway there are plenty of well run high enough apartment buildings in Dublin, we just need more of them. Ballymun was a long time ago. I don't know how this thread has turned into a Dublin bashing thread.
    We absolutely need high rise apartments in Dublin and in other towns and cities in Ireland.

Honestly the government should build the lot of them, several estates of high-rise low-income apartments with decent facilities and amenities will go a long way towards solving a lot of problems in this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,678 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Yes and no...
    Dublin may be the driver of the economy, but Cork workers generate more revenue per person than their counterparts in the capital.

A new study shows workers in the Rebel County generate almost €105,000 per person every year, higher than the €96,000 produced by Dublin workers and even higher than that produced by high fliers in the City of London.
    https://www.independent.ie/business/irish/revealed-the-county-that-generates-the-most-revenue-in-the-state-35031768.html

Property tax should never have been introduced and only frees up other money to pump into less noble causes like bailing out banks. We got along grand without it before. Hopefully that insufferable prick Hogan will be turfed out before long, that man really despised his country as is evident from his actions.

Even if you manage to get rid of all the people living in the countryside that doesn't mean you can shove all the money that was supposedly spent on them in your pocket

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

Every eu city has skyscrapers and high rise apartment,s ,
    i live close to a 6 storey student accomodation block,
    i see no sign of junkies or criminals hanging around there .
    Builders can build apartments like in the uk or france ,if they have receptions with 24 hour security they will be no worse than any other buildings .
    high rise buildings are better for the environment ,they reduce traffic and
    travel time for people who live in them.
    FG and fianna fail say they will build 20k house,s per year.
    i doubt if the government could build a real metro system in dublin,
    the children s hospital is still waiting to be built after 5 years in the plannign system.
    building a underground metro is 10 times more expensive than building luas lines .

Property tax should never have been introduced and only frees up other money to pump into less noble causes like bailing out banks. We got along grand without it before. Hopefully that insufferable prick Hogan will be turfed out before long, that man really despised his country as is evident from his actions.

Even if you manage to get rid of all the people living in the countryside that doesn't mean you can shove all the money that was supposedly spent on them in your pocket
    Excuse me?

I also think the association of skyscrapers with junkies is more of a generational thing, for the most part. I've rarely met anyone under around 40 with that mindset, unless of course specifically discussing Ballymun etc.

Excuse me?

I'm guessing me meant a different Hogan. :pac:

Excuse me?

Phil Hogan. Should have used the full name sorry

We absolutely need high rise apartments in Dublin and in other towns and cities in Ireland.

Honestly the government should build the lot of them, several estates of high-rise low-income apartments with decent facilities and amenities will go a long way towards solving a lot of problems in this country.

It cost more to build vertically than horizontally. One source I found says £1940 per square meter for an apartment block vs £1640 for a detached house.

cnocbui wrote: »
    It cost more to build vertically than horizontally. One source I found says £1940 per square meter for an apartment block vs £1640 for a detached house.

Who cares, we still need our cities to be denser and build up.

Never heard of this either, I would have went with the magic beans one if I were you
    No.

Seriously? https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=I%20have%20a%20bridge%20to%20sell%20you

Lived there for 2 years, love the place, didn't really notice the one offs like we have here tbh, but it was over 10 years ago

Australia is a nation based on urban sprawl. If you didn't notice it living in probably the most sprawled country on earth, then clearly it isn't the problem you make out. By every international comparison metric - health, longevity, happiness, liveability, Usually several Australian cities always rank in the top ten or twenty, which speaks volumes for how urban sprawl isn't a real social problem, no matter how much some people get a bee under their bonnet over it.

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭17larsson

I was in Hong Kong over christmas and they really know how to do high rise living.

Subway stations and bus stops everywhere. Only waiting minutes at all stops.

Apartment complexes are generally on top of shopping centres which are on top of a subway station. One of these apartment complexes (six buildings of seventy stories each) I was at had;

Two outdoor swimming pools
    One indoor swimming pool
    Two tennis courts
    Bowling alley
    Gym
    Mutliple kids playgrounds (indoor and outdoor)

All that was part of the management fee for all residents.
    Real thought and forward planning goes into everything they do.

It was just so easy to get everywhere and sometimes without even having to go outside.

It's easy to do all that when you have loads and loads of money though

• Advertisement

Australia is a nation based on urban sprawl. If you didn't notice it living in probably the most sprawled country on earth, then clearly it isn't the problem you make out. By every international comparison metric - health, longevity, happiness, liveability, Usually several Australian cities always rank in the top ten or twenty, which speaks volumes for how urban sprawl isn't a real social problem, no matter how much some people get a bee under their bonnet over it.

well it is a problem, when you have people sat in cars for 4 hours a day etc commuting. We don't have public transport to support urban sprawl. I was mostly in Melbourne which is pretty high density, lots of trams and trains too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭kravmaga

Lived in Dublin and it was pure sh1te. I dont believe that so many people should be clustered together in such a small place. Living in the shticks now and much happier

Im a Dub, lived in the shticks for a few years, it was pure sh1te, I dont believe so many people in the shticks should be spread out in the rural bungalows ruining the views, pure sh1te it was, mucka's with teeth missing and not understanding them , back in Dublin, big smoke, love it.
    :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Witchie

17larsson wrote: »
    I was in Hong Kong over christmas and they really know how to do high rise living.

Subway stations and bus stops everywhere. Only waiting minutes at all stops.

Apartment complexes are generally on top of shopping centres which are on top of a subway station. One of these apartment complexes (six buildings of seventy stories each) I was at had;

Two outdoor swimming pools
    One indoor swimming pool
    Two tennis courts
    Bowling alley
    Gym
    Mutliple kids playgrounds (indoor and outdoor)

All that was part of the management fee for all residents.
    Real thought and forward planning goes into everything they do.

It was just so easy to get everywhere and sometimes without even having to go outside.

It's easy to do all that when you have loads and loads of money though

Pretty much the way of life here. I live in Kuala Lumpur on the 34th floor in a 3 bed, 2 bath apartment with a swimming pool and gym on the 8th floor. Oh and children's playground.

The first 5 floors are carparking, a small grocery shop, a launderette and security and management offices. From the 9th to the 39th floor there are 16 3 bed apartments on each floor. There are 4 blocks of these together. We all have a balcony.

This isn't a great complex though. Another nearby has a 2 storey shopping mall, 2 storeys of offices and carparking and then 30 floors of apartments.

We need to build a few such developments and connect up the public transport. My boyfriend and I don't have a car as we can get really cheap taxi(grab - similar to Uber) anywhere or hop on buses, monorail or lrt.

Having apartment blocks with amenities built in like a supermarket, shops, cinemas etc cuts down on transport and carbon footprint. Even if not in the same building but next door.

I have a mall with a Tesco around the corner too.

It just makes sense. Even if Dublin only did 10/12 storeys it would sort a lot of the homeless problem out.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,187 ✭✭✭Andrewf20

Just buy a racing / commuter bike or or a moped. Sorted.

Also why cant the jobs move outwards with the housing, thus removing the need to go into the city in the 1st place.

Andrewf20 wrote: »
    Just buy a racing / commuter bike or or a moped. Sorted.

Also why cant the jobs move outwards with the housing, thus removing the need to go into the city in the 1st place.

Companies need to be in central locations to attract the right staff and access to amenities I'd say. Facebook etc don't want to be in Navan.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,187 ✭✭✭Andrewf20

Companies need to be in central locations to attract the right staff and access to amenities I'd say. Facebook etc don't want to be in Navan.

But I dont see what amenities staff need beyond what you find in any mid size village. Navan might a bit far out but if facebook was to locate in Saggart or Swords I dont see why this couldnt work. In fact, you could argue that a city centre location would put people off applying for jobs there due to the torturous city centre commute.

Out in Leixlip theres nearly 5000 people working in Intel for example.

Andrewf20 wrote: »
    But I dont see what amenities staff need beyond what you find in any mid size village. Navan might a bit far out but if facebook was to locate in Saggart or Swords I dont see why this couldnt work. In fact, you could argue that a city centre location would put people off applying for jobs there due to the torturous city centre commute.

Out in Leixlip theres nearly 5000 people working in Intel for example.

There are lots of companies in Swords too, not that Swords isn't congested af anyway. I suppose with the big tech companies anyway they want prestige locations so that's why they're all around silicon docks and d4 etc.

Yes, but the costs for supporting infrastructure, and logistics more than make up the difference. A Sprawling housing estate would require far more in the way of support from police, services, etc than a tower complex. Harder to manage/maintain and more difficult to police over time, which in turn, would increase costs.

well it is a problem, when you have people sat in cars for 4 hours a day etc commuting. We don't have public transport to support urban sprawl. I was mostly in Melbourne which is pretty high density, lots of trams and trains too.

Geez you talk some bulldust, mate. You clearly only see what you want to see:
    Melbourne has one of the largest urban footprints in the world due to its low-density housing, resulting in a vast suburban sprawl, with a high level of car dependence and minimal public transport outside of inner areas
    Cardew, R; Fanning, P; George, J (1998). Urban Footprints and Stormwater Management: A Council Survey. Australian Institute of Urban Studies. pp. 16–25.

• Advertisement

Geez you talk some bulldust, mate:

Cardew, R; Fanning, P; George, J (1998). Urban Footprints and Stormwater Management: A Council Survey. Australian Institute of Urban Studies. pp. 16–25.

I lived in Carlton so was right in the centre of things, it feels far denser than Dublin anyway but it does go out into Vic forever. I don't think there's any point comparing ourselves to Australia anyway given the size of the place.
    Is your stance on this that sprawl is ok and we should be building outwards instead of up and more dense? I think that goes against anyone's idea of sensible planning.

Advertisement