Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tesco - Sirloin Steak half price.

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭aaronm13

colm1234 wrote: »
    I agree with what you are saying as I buy strip loin from the butchers and its near black inside its the nicest meat ever :D but I decided whilst shopping in tesco to pick theirs up for a change, I did not use it until the very last day before it was just about to go off, it was black inside and no blood I tenderized it to death and cooked on a low heat for near an hour, its was still like boots even the dog had a job chewing it

Think that's your problem right there. Even the finest piece of meat will taste like crap cooked that way. Extremely high heat and only a couple of minutes on each side depending on your preference. Agree about Tesco meet though, it's road kill but Aldi's steaks are the business.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭Smoggy

I use these guys :

http://www.kerriganmeats.ie/

Great to deal with and have 4 weekly offers that rotate, often they have 4 aged fillet steaks (4oz) as buy 3 get 1 free. Current single price is €4, so €12 for 4.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,676 ✭✭✭jayteecork

Not one "thanks" for my bargain alert :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

Good find i mean its half price why are people comparing 10 euro steaks with 1.50 euro steaks.. :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

If you eat your steaks well done you might as well buy this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭Oracle

Mmmm... very educational thread ... From soakpads to sirloin, I feel I'm a veritable meat expert now, and I though I knew a fair bit already. :D

Don't want to appear totally anti-Tesco, their pork loin chops are lovely, only €6 for 5/6 in a pack, and I like their €1 Tiger loaf as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

I prefer Aldi's Tiger Loaf, tastes teh same but costs less. Can't recall how much now.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,093 ✭✭✭mathie

The-Rigger wrote: »
    I prefer Aldi's Tiger Loaf, tastes teh same but costs less. Can't recall how much now.

Tiger loaf?
    99% ash!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭dowtchaboy

LIDL's Striploin is very good - the kind of meat, like fillet, that you don't have to beat, batter, tenderise, slow cook or marinade to get great results. (I was told by a butcher that striploin is "T-Bone without the bone" - dunno how true that is)

Smear of olive oil, sprinkle of sea-salt, maybe a touch of garlic, hot frying pan - and cook it fast (red for herself, cooked through but not leathery for me) - and it melts in your mouth. New spuds, or mash, some veg - the simpler the better. Nyum.

Not many people know it but at the end of the meat chiller in LIDL there will be a small section with a discreet "30% off" label. I never touch chicken at close to "sell by" dates, but beef & steaks - absolutely - will be all the better. You don't get nearly as much food going out of date in LIDL/ALDI as say Dunnes or Tesco though so not as easy to find these extra bargains.

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭davenewt

Good thread. I'm so hungry (but not for Tesco's steak!)

Time to visit the local butcher and do some more research into this!

Nyom nyom! :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭redalan

I swear by the Angus striploin from the butcher counter in Tescos. Have found it much better than Superquinn, which is where I usually get my meat. They are usually on offer 2 for 7E.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

redalan wrote: »
    I swear by the Angus striploin from the butcher counter in Tescos. Have found it much better than Superquinn, which is where I usually get my meat. They are usually on offer 2 for 7E.
    Superquinn do 4 different types of Striploin according to the website.

Superquinn Beef - Striploin Steak (1 Kilogram)
    €16.49 per kg

Superquinn Beef Striploin Steak 2pk (Average Weight: 390 Grammes)
    €21.99 per kg

SQ DRY AGED STRIPLOIN STEAK SINGLE (227 Gram)
    €26.39 per kg

SQ Beef - Striploin Steak Premium Dry Aged (454 Gram)
    €33.02 per kg

There is no comparison between the cheap stuff and the dry aged premium

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭Loadedscream

You seem to be a man that knows his steak CiaranC!!! ;)

redalan wrote: »
    That Angus beef is a cut above the average, right enough - have got mine from Tesco and Dunnes in the past.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 186 ✭✭CabanasBoy

What ever happened to your local butchers? have people completely forgotten that there are other places to buy your various foods from?
    I am not being a food snob but I would never buy meat from a supermarket.
    It's just not right and you're not supporting your local economy by buying from Tesco either. Survey done by Panorama (or Watchdog) a couple of years back compared a basket of groceries from Tesco and the same items bought in individual shops along the nearby high street, guess what?? Tesco was dearer for every single item. I'm not just singling out Tesco, it could just as easily apply to any of the supermarket chains I'm sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

CabanasBoy wrote: »
    What ever happened to your local butchers? have people completely forgotten that there are other places to buy your various foods from?
    Well post up a few recommendations then, Ive already requested it earlier in the thread

Survey done by Panorama (or Watchdog) a couple of years back compared a basket of groceries from Tesco and the same items bought in individual shops along the nearby high street, guess what?? Tesco was dearer for every single item. I'm not just singling out Tesco, it could just as easily apply to any of the supermarket chains I'm sure.
    Really? Could we have a link to that research? I've always been a skinflint, even when I was earning lots, and now I have to be, and I watch prices very carefully. Excluding almost controlled stuff like milk, butter etc. my local Centra is at least 25% and sometimes 50% dearer than Tesco or Lidl. Same products same quality. And when Tesco decide to cut prices (admittedly this could be predatory), or to shift older stuff - my local Centra, or Supervalu, is not in the same ballpark. I buy local when I can, buying smaller amounts - Farmers Market and/or The Country Market, local butcher for some superb pork that is worth its price (way higher than Tesco) - but if I had to survive on my local shops I'd be eating "own-brand" beans on "own-brand" bread most nights of the week. Sorry - but I NEED Lidl, Tesco, sell-by-date specials and the bargain alerts from this forum to survive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 186 ✭✭CabanasBoy

dowtchaboy wrote: »
    Really? Could we have a link to that research? I've always been a skinflint, even when I was earning lots, and now I have to be, and I watch prices very carefully. Excluding almost controlled stuff like milk, butter etc. my local Centra is at least 25% and sometimes 50% dearer than Tesco or Lidl. Same products same quality. And when Tesco decide to cut prices (admittedly this could be predatory), or to shift older stuff - my local Centra, or Supervalu, is not in the same ballpark. I buy local when I can, buying smaller amounts - Farmers Market and/or The Country Market, local butcher for some superb pork that is worth its price (way higher than Tesco) - but if I had to survive on my local shops I'd be eating "own-brand" beans on "own-brand" bread most nights of the week. Sorry - but I NEED Lidl, Tesco, sell-by-date specials and the bargain alerts from this forum to survive.

Centra would fall under the heading of "other supermarket chains":rolleyes:

I (and Panorama/Watchdog) am referring to the likes of your butcher, your baker, your candlestick maker (well maybe not him) your greengrocers etc, obviously there are a lot of things that can only be bought in supermarkets but my local butcher is streets ahead of local Tesco/Dunnes for quality and price, greengrocers on Monastary Rd Clondalkin is as cheap as any supermarket and guess what? the veg actually has flavour! One of the greatest lies ever sold to people is that supermarkets are the cheapest, complete rubbish. They'll be cheaper for one or two items but they'll get their pound of flesh from ya before you get back out the door.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

I must get a few of them, they will make a nice treat for the dog. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

I haven't had great experiences buying in butchers.
    I find that I get quite little and it usually costs a a lot more too.
    Also, in my experience - they don't tend to have prices on many items (have been ripped off a couple of times) and many that I have dealt have this attitude that makes me not want to return.

I am sure this isn't the experience of many other people or people with a regular butcher they visit but it has been mine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,354 ✭✭✭Morgans

I generally go to my local butchers - who I think its very good.

However, I have availed of Tesco deals in the past with regard to steaks etc. Ive never been disappointed with them. Not as nice as Aldi's finest but decent, tasty.

My dad works in the meat industry (at the factory side of things for the last 30 odd years) and he knows first hand that a lot of very good Irish meat goes to Tesco. (black polly cattle)

Absolutely no idea what they do after its sent there - how long they keep in behind their butcher counters etc, but their is absolutely nothing wrong with the source material, and he would tend to go to Tesco before his local butchers these days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭NWPat

Centra would fall under the heading of "other supermarket chains":rolleyes:

I (and Panorama/Watchdog) am referring to the likes of your butcher, your baker, your candlestick maker (well maybe not him) your greengrocers etc, obviously there are a lot of things that can only be bought in supermarkets but my local butcher is streets ahead of local Tesco/Dunnes for quality and price, greengrocers on Monastary Rd Clondalkin is as cheap as any supermarket and guess what? the veg actually has flavour! One of the greatest lies ever sold to people is that supermarkets are the cheapest, complete rubbish. They'll be cheaper for one or two items but they'll get their pound of flesh from ya before you get back out the door.

This may well be true but very few people believe it. If they did independent shops would flourish and supermarkets wouldn't be springing up at the rate they are.

Advertisement