Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tesco - Sirloin Steak half price.

Options
  • 02-01-2011 3:03pm
    Site Banned Posts: 5,676 ✭✭✭

Was in Tesco Midleton today and picked up a bunch of steak at amazing prices.

Got 2 small cuts for about €1.70 and 2 large pieces for about €3.50 each.

Sorry about quality of photo only have my camera phone.

Photo0123-2.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭endplate

Had them the other night they are only average and very chewy. Wouldn't really recommend these half price steaks

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭madanall

I work in Tesco and believe me...you don't want to eat their meat. It is horrible. For a quality steak, try Aldi . 9.99 for 2 super steaks full of lean meat...Pricey but well worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭Oracle

I agree, Aldi's Specially Selected steaks are gorgeous. They have them on offer every few months, reduced by €2. I think it's €9.99 for the Rib Eye and Striploin and €10.99 for the FIllet: http://www.aldi.ie/ie/html/product_range/product_range_11935.htm

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

I'd second that.
    Got 2 angus fillet steaks there a while ago and they were lovely :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

Dreadful meat, avoid.

The Aldi ones are fantastic, a bargain every time.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 5,676 ✭✭✭jayteecork

Ah well I'll make a nice stir fry outta em.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,834 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Have to agree..

.. Tesco's steak is woeful!

Got a fantastic cut of Sirloin Steak from Centra - it was either 33% or 50% off - absolutely delish!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

Iv had fantastic steak from Tesco before. Iv had terrible steak too. Its usually 50/50

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

:eek:Buying steak from Tesco.

Hogzy wrote: »
    Iv had fantastic steak from Tesco before
    No, you havent.

Anyone got any other good supplier of proper dry aged on the bone steak around Dublin for a decent price? Superquinn do great ones, but they are €18 for two, crazy money compared to Aldi.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭butts

Like Hogzy have had mixed experiences of Tescos steak - depends on the range. Would only buy when there are big reductions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 246 ✭✭colm1234

I used them to re sole my shoes should last a good while, best steak in my opinion is strip loin from the butchers tenderized to death with my fist before slow cooking :D

butts wrote: »
    Like Hogzy have had mixed experiences of Tescos steak - depends on the range. Would only buy when there are big reductions.
    Range?

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭butts

Range as in Finest, Organic and a couple of others that I can't remember. I would hardly ever buy the Sirloin but got a 1kg lump of Striploin a while back and got some great steaks out of it.

butts wrote: »
    Range as in Finest, Organic and a couple of others that I can't remember. I would hardly ever buy the Sirloin but got a 1kg lump of Striploin a while back and got some great steaks out of it.
    Didnt realise they were carrying the Finest range. Had a Tesco Finest Angus Fillet over in the UK a while back, it was OK.

*edit* 2 x Finest Fillets steaks are €35.20 on tesco.ie, think ill give them a miss

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

What do tesco do to their meat that apparently makes it so terrible??

The-Rigger wrote: »

my guess would be its mass produced from cows pumped full of all sorts of growth enhancement chemicals or from another country, that or is donkey meat really has to be said it is the most discussting chewy meat ive ever tasted

Have my doubts that meat from most other sources aren't from similar cows.

The-Rigger wrote: »

They dont "do" anything to it per-se, and there is nothing to suggest that the meat itself is poor quality. Their meat is simply not aged. It is bright red when you buy it, and the packs, as you can see above, have soakpads in them to absord excess liquids (a dead giveaway).

Good steak is dark in colour and "dry" to the touch. It is the aging process which makes steak tender and gives it that melt-in-the-mouth consistancy. This confuses the average Irish consumer, who thinks it is "gone off", so to be fair to Tesco, they are only giving the punters what they want to an extent.

Even the thicker cut, marbled "Finest" range doesnt seem aged long enough to me.

Does anyone know if its half price from the tesco butchers? Thats where i usually get my steaks and iv had no complaints. Iv never had the packaged stuff before.

• Advertisement

Does anyone know if its half price from the tesco butchers? Thats where i usually get my steaks and iv had no complaints. Iv never had the packaged stuff before.
    They only sell their regular meat from the "butchers", the Tesco Finest stuff is all pre-packaged at the supplier. The packs in the OP are exactly what you get over the counter.

CiaranC wrote: »
    They dont "do" anything to it per-se, and there is nothing to suggest that the meat itself is poor quality. Their meat is simply not aged. It is bright red when you buy it, and the packs, as you can see above, have soakpads in them to absord excess liquids (a dead giveaway).

Good steak is dark in colour and "dry" to the touch. It is the aging process which makes steak tender and gives it that melt-in-the-mouth consistancy. This confuses the average Irish consumer, who thinks it is "gone off", so to be fair to Tesco, they are only giving the punters what they want to an extent.

Even the thicker cut, marbled "Finest" range doesnt seem aged long enough to me.
    I agree with what you are saying as I buy strip loin from the butchers and its near black inside its the nicest meat ever :D but I decided whilst shopping in tesco to pick theirs up for a change, I did not use it until the very last day before it was just about to go off, it was black inside and no blood I tenderized it to death and cooked on a low heat for near an hour, its was still like boots even the dog had a job chewing it

Are soakpads the enemy? Most places have them in mince containers...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭NWPat

Had these today, One was just about edible the other was about 80% grissle,:mad: don't bother would be my advice.

colm1234 wrote: »
    I agree with what you are saying as I buy strip loin from the butchers and its near black inside its the nicest meat ever :D but I decided whilst shopping in tesco to pick theirs up for a change, I did not use it until the very last day before it was just about to go off, it was black inside and no blood I tenderized it to death and cooked on a low heat for near an hour, its was still like boots even the dog had a job chewing it

Don't think you can just age them in your fridge. The meat needs to be hung while still on the bone, at the correct temperature and humidity level etc, for three to four weeks. Presumably this adds hugely to the cost

ya learn something new every day :D i also found out black pudding is dried pigs blood an blue cheese is made with copper.:D

colm1234 wrote: »
    ya learn something new every day :D i also found out black pudding is dried pigs blood

lol what did you think it was before you found out it was pigs blood?

lol what did you think it was before you found out it was pigs blood?

just really tasty black stuff :D

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

No, you havent.

Anyone got any other good supplier of proper dry aged on the bone steak around Dublin for a decent price? Superquinn do great ones, but they are €18 for two, crazy money compared to Aldi.

dont they use hilton as their supplier, very good meats imo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

I have no idea what they do to it, I don't eat meat but I've had complaints from customers, both Irish and British, that buy the Tesco meat in N. Ireland and Britian and they say the Irish meat (the stuff in the packes pictured abuve isn't as nice).

Why would that be the case?

Advertisement