Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

St John's Wort

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

Johro wrote: »
    I'm sorry but, was anyone here looking to buy a bit of Deadly Nightshade? Or Monkshood? Or Hemlock? A little Hogweed maybe? Yum yum.. I don't think so.
    could you buy the plant st johns worth and harvest it for your own purpose

• Closed Accounts Posts: 858 ✭✭✭goingpostal

Probably you could. You can still buy St Johns Wort tea in the quack emporiums. Where you could actually buy the plant is another question altogether. It might even still grow wild in Ireland for all I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,052 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Just on the last question, St Johns Wort is a readily available plant that is very easy to grow, how you process it to use as a medication though I have no idea.

I took it before it was prescription only and found it quite good, I had to stop taking it though as it conflicts with warfarin (rat poison, yum!).

There are antidepressants available now that are much better than prozac, no noticeable side effects and very positive results, so may be better to discuss it with your GP.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,064 ✭✭✭Finnbar01

• Registered Users Posts: 15 dott

I recently got it in NI for 7 pounds for box of 90 and 9 pounds for liquid version 500mg strenght. It helped me a lot with my eating disorder and I cannot believe that I went back to normal after just one week where i have been suffering from it for years! I am decreasing my dossage now and only having a cup of tea with herbs before I go to sleep. No more sleepless nights!

Its great! I would defo recommend!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

We cannot discuss the cultivation or preparation of chemically active plants. We are not botanists.
    There are many varieties of St. John's Wort in Ireland
    JC

• Registered Users Posts: 28,052 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I have taken St Johns Wort before it became illegal, and found it excellent. The problem with it is that it reacts with other prescribed drugs and could create serious issues.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭krd

We cannot discuss the cultivation or preparation of chemically active plants. We are not botanists. JC

A mortar, a pestle and some solvents.

It's not botany, it's closer to cooking. There are books you can buy, that tell you how, give you instructions and recipes for extracting the active ingredient. People have been doing this for a long time. The preparations are not necessarily in "underground publications" or the journals of clandestine chemistry. I'm sure I've seen a least one of these books in Hodges Figgis.

When you go to a doctor, they general don't take into account your size and weight when making up their mind to prescribe you a pill containing 10 mg of a compound, over prescribing a pill that contains 15 mg. You'll only get a perfect dose purely by accident.

Pharmaceutical companies, I believe, are a little like Birds Custard. You make a better custard if you use less than the recommended amount of powder than given in the instructions. I do know this as fact. That the pharma companies will recommend a higher dose than they've found necessary to be effective. This is something I would be nearly sure many GPs are unaware of. The little mark across the mid-section of many pills is there so they can be snapped in two.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 mogsmoo

Just bought the plant ,how do I make tea etc etc ,havent a clue how to do those things as I never needed it before, My doctor prescribed anti depressants (low dosage) but I dont feel depressed in the least maybe a bit anxious ,been on menapause for the last 5 years and didnt need HRT or anything now I feel I could do with a bit of help ,so I would rather something more natural ,So hopefully St Johns Wort can help ,only if someone out there can advise me on what to do with this plant.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

We cannot discuss the cultivation or preparation of chemically active plants. We are not botanists. JC

Thread locked. JC

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement