Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's your phobia?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭tread_softly

i am deathly afraid of moths which i guess can be seen as somewhat "normal" but i do have a really weird, irrational fear............. of the underside of huge boats.

yep. o.0

there was an ad on tv the other night about a programme on discovery about cargo ships and the like and it showed loads of them hauled out of the water and it made me squirm!

if i can see the part of the boat that's meant to be hidden underwater i freak, like the propellors or anything.

i don't know why it is, i just can't stand the size of them. i don't mind being on big boats at all, as long as they're in the water!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭Flojo

I have a few, hmm lets see...

Spiders and other insects- Seriously freak me the feck out, managed to kill a spider tonight thats been haunting me for days. It was HUGE.

Dentists- I cant stand having to go, always have to bring my mam or my BF with me and I'm almost 21 lol. Freaked out once and the dentist almost drilled through my cheek.

Anesthetical Awareness- Never really realised it could happen until I watched that film Awake, dear god baaaaaaad idea. Its rare yeah but I have always been scared of operations now this just added the cherry on top for me :S

Thats about it thank god, have a few other small fears but wouldnt class them as being as severe as these.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 50hertz

Happily none...or none that I have encountered yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭Groe

I hate thinking about growing up.
    I'm 13 and the thought of getting older makes me worried.
    Well thinking about it its less of a phobia more of a worry, dislike :(

Another one is Jellyfish.
    When I love looking at pictures and seeing them in tank. I can even touch them etc when they are washed up. But as soon as im in the sea and the water is too deep for me to stand in I start to think of how many jellyfish there could be below me. The thought of them touchoing you and their tenticles rubbing off you scares me.

I first noticed it when I was doing a sailing course and we went on a day sail and it was really stormy and the boat pitchpoled and turtled. I was thrown out and the minute I started to realise where I was I startethd shivering and got really jumpy. I eventually got onto the bottom of the boat and tried to recover the boat but the mast was stuck into the group and I really freaked out then tbecause I could see them swoimming around the boat and I thought that I could just fall into them. *shudders*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

Growing us is awesome. I wouldn't worry about it. I'm far happier now at 24 then I was at 14!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,122 ✭✭✭LadyJ

watna wrote: »
    Growing us is awesome. I wouldn't worry about it. I'm far happier now at 24 then I was at 14!

I hear that! 22 is way better than 13. The idea of ever being a teenager again scares me more than the horror I'd feel if I was trapped on a plane with a tarantula.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭xIsabelx

I am deathly afraid of spiders. I can't even look at a picture of a spider, I am THAT afraid of them. Totally irrational, I know.

You couldn't pay me a million euro to watch Eight Legged Freaks or Arachnophobia, because I'm that scared.....it would traumatise me so much.

Sometimes when I go to bed, I can only think about spiders and it scares the sh*t out of me. I need to focus so hard on thinking about something else just so I can go asleep.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭xXxhotstuff xXx

my biggest phobia has to be of birds, i really dont know why but i cant stand the little feckers.. lyk i have to walk under a few trees while going to some of my classes and i walk well around them onto the road incase there is a bird in one of the them.. also if there is a bird anywhere near me i'll wait till tis gone before i continue to where i was going.. i really dont see their purpose in the world lyk all they ever do is **** on people.. i dont understand why when a bird flies in front of a car people slow down, why not speed up and kill them lyk thats much much more satisfying!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,959 ✭✭✭DenMan

But butterflies are cute!

They are very beautiful, especially The Admiral. Amazing actually. Is there a phobia of a person afraid of what the can become, i.e their full potential in life. (Someone) being withdrawn and shy and wanting something better in their life?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

I had what I'd call a deep hatred for wasps since I was young. I think it was probably from when I got stung. Makes sense, right?

That was fair enough. But in the last year or two (maybe more, not too sure actually) I've developed a phobia of things flying at or around my head and face. So this centres mainly on flies and wasps while within the house, and on pigeons while out walking in town or whatever. Because of being in a city, they're really used to people, so don't fly off until you're right on top of them. Which means they fly towards your face!

It's really starting to bother me. I can still deal with flies and such in the house. I've no problem killing them, putting them out windows etc, but it's when they're flying around my head it bothers me. Still afraid of wasps when they're around as they can sting!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭Poppy78

I have so many phobias.

Mostly social ones:

Speaking on the telephone, speaking to groups of people, speaking to strangers, being in a confined space with people especially strangers, that my voice is too loud or wierd sounding.

I have quite a bizarre fear of stickers. I cant bear anything sticky on my skin or clothes and even on other people it freaks me out. Everyone i know thinks it is hilarious and puts a line of cellotape accross their heads, but honestly it makes feel dizzy and nauseous.

I am afraid to touch raw chicken it makes me wretch, but fine with fish and beef for some reason.

Same for raw egg whites, i remeber watching nigella lawson one night. she was letting the egg white run through her fingers for some godforsaken reason. I only just made it to the bin to get sick.

In the last couple of years i have developed a fear of heights, even though i used to love walking accross the back walls of all my neighbours houses growing up.

I did manage though to get over my fear of dogs by getting a puppy. Now i have two dogs and am one of those annoying dog people that i used to hate.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,959 ✭✭✭DenMan

Hi Poppy

I had that same problem regarding the telephone issue. I used to nearly choke getting my words across while on the phone, it was horrendous. It was like I was having a panic attack (which looking back on it now is probably what it was) For some reason it completely disappeared over night. I can't explain that at all but when I remember what I was like before it really makes me shudder.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭Poppy78

DenMan wrote: »
    Hi Poppy

I had that same problem regarding the telephone issue. I used to nearly choke getting my words across while on the phone, it was horrendous. It was like I was having a panic attack (which looking back on it now is probably what it was) For some reason it completely disappeared over night. I can't explain that at all but when I remember what I was like before it really makes me shudder.

Yeah it is hilarious DenMan, i actually work in a job where i have to answer the phone about twenty or thirty times a day. I am fine as long as I can decide in advance how the conversation is going to go and what my replies will be. But if the person on the other end goes off script I will have what I call a brain stutter and cannot speak, sometimes for about half a minute.

Thanks for letting me know that these things can go away and that there are others out there with similar problems because sometimes I think it is just me being ridiculous. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭S.I.R

heights, i dont mean little heights, i mean like being 27 stoerys up on a lead roof with no traction kinda fear...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭condra

What's your phobia?

Sharks with guns

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭Mazletov

Algophobia, Erotophobia, Coitophobia, Trypanophobia, various social phobias...

F**k it, basically I'm a panophobe. Frankly it's amazing I've managed to live this long with all of that weighing on me...:rolleyes: Sucks to be me.

I'd like to know more about these...I think I may suffer from one myself but I won't say anything until I learn more. Describe your experiences, please.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭trowelled

I have a couple of phobias. I've always had a fear of falling whether it be from a height or not (it's actually the reason I've never been able to do a handstand, cartwheel etc :o embarrassing but true. I have slight agoraphobia, can get freaked out if I get stuck in a crowd. Strangest one is my fear of shores/manholes/grates etc. Never walk over them, will always avoid them!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 Star20

I have the worst Phobia of all times i cannot take Tablets yes tablets the ones u swallow! Its so ennoying sometimes as when im sick i cannot get better by taking them i have to suffer on!

Sad but true...i need help!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭fifth

Blood..Haemophobia

• Moderators Posts: 24,367 ✭✭✭✭ChewChew

the Dark. absolutley HATE being alone in the dark. I dont mind if there is someone else in the house and its dark. they dont necessarily have to be in the same room. but if I am alone in the house the lights will be on. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭vektarman

I hate open spaces and enclosed spaces, in fact it's hard to find a space just right for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 Ditavon

FISH ARE FREAKY :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 pilchard

erm, lets see... Heights, Manholes, the Dark, i could go on!

but by far my wierdest and worst phobia is Ants!! i even see one and i freak out!! kinda almost a daily event!!:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 xshazarx

I've a weird phobia of choking, probably originated last year when a sharp chip got lodged in my tonsil last year...scariest thing ever :(!! Needless to say Im the slowest eater ever now. Clowns and deep water arent my favourite either.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭trowelled

pilchard wrote: »
    erm, lets see... Heights, Manholes, the Dark, i could go on!

but by far my wierdest and worst phobia is Ants!! i even see one and i freak out!! kinda almost a daily event!!:(

I'm not the only one wahooo!! I wonder how many people actually fall down manholes each year!! Actually maybe I don't wanna know the answer to that :D

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭tinz18

Heights:(... it only hit me a couple of years ago for some reason, before that i could climb trees and look over cliffs no problem!:P...trying to overcome it so I'm going to join a climbing club at college hopefully and maybe that'll shake me out of it.:rolleyes: Other phobias: wasps and spiders(Evil they're evil!)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,165 ✭✭✭DEmeant0r

Aichmophobia (needles), Apiphobia (bees), Arachnophobia (spiders).

Not sure how or where or when I got Arachnophobia but I can't be near one, if I see one, I pretend it didn't exist and run far away, and if it was in my flat I get someone to kill it!

Apiphobia was gotten at an early age when I got stung by a bee.

I think I got Aichmophobia at the same time as when I got stung. I have (successfully) avoided injections and the such for the last 6-7 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,062 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

I have arachnophobia. Terribly. Even the small spiders we get here scare the crap out of me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 Fresh Breeze

"Gerontophobia- Fear of old people or of growing old"

I'm absolutely terrified. Not of old people as such, I'm kind towards them, just that I will become them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭Sarchasm

I am afraid of injections and crabs. When I had to get an injection when I was younger I kicked the nurse and hid under the table. I had to get two a few years ago and I kept moving my arm away from the doctor and after I managed to take the injection I nearly passed out. I get really nervous if my mum is putting pins in my clothes before hemming them.

I get nervous if im in the sea that a crab will scuttle out and pinch me.

I also have a problem with cold tomatoes, I hate the slimy seeds. I've always had a problem with bananas. I tried to eat one when I was seven and gagged on it. I think its the texture.

I also hate getting lost or stuck in a crowd, especially in loud clubs or pubs. I generally end up leaving by myself on the verge of tears and texting my friends to tell them I've gone.

Advertisement