Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What's your phobia?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

oh god, id almost forgotten about one. nails. cutting, filing, just.. *shudders*

as long as i can remember, i've had this habit of biting my nails,a nd never really had to cut them with a nail clippers or anything... not in the habit anymore, but i have to bite or pick at them myself to cut them now, as i totally freak out if something metal was to do it...

*shudders*

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭Dark Artist

I terrified of moths. I can barely stand to be in the same room as one, especially if they're big fat flapping ones. They actually chase after me! I either have to leg it or batter it to death with a newspaper while screaming, no joke.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 darkhavan

I have fears of being in small spaces,Clown,Denists,crowds,
    my famliy thinks it's funny because how I can spend the night sleeping in a graveyard or walk to my sister place in the middle of the night because she found out that some crazy ass that broke out of the looney bin at the hospital is walking around with a axe and she's to scared to be by her self I guess you can pick your fears

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,391 ✭✭✭arbeitsscheuer

Algophobia, Erotophobia, Coitophobia, Trypanophobia, various social phobias...

F**k it, basically I'm a panophobe. Frankly it's amazing I've managed to live this long with all of that weighing on me...:rolleyes: Sucks to be me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

Panophobia? Really? As in you have a general fear/dread about life?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29 mattyboy20

I'm terrified of blood!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭fozzle

Lemme see, afraid of heights, which is stupid, cause I love mountaineering - it's coming down that' a problem. Having said that, I freak if I have to climb a ladder...

I'm afraid of Skips. Yes, that's right, the crisps, not the big yellow things. I've worked in newsagents and not been able to even stack the shelves beside the bloody things cause I freaked out so much. Getting control over it though. I did once jump out the back door of a bus to avoid them though.

What else? Oh, wasps, but not bees. They're just pure evil.

I also go through alternate phases of agoraphobia and claustrophobia. That can get confusing for my friends!

Another one I've been working on controling is my fear of having my back exposed. Without thinking I'll always try take the seat/standing place with a wall behind me in any situation. Failing that, I'm not too bad if someone I really really trust is behind me. But they have to be actually touching me - can't have them just lurking.

Oh! And I'm terified of having my nose stolen :o I totally freak out - my fiance has finally learned that I'm not kidding about it, since I had a totally melt-down in public.

Think that's my lot!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Snakes!

That's it realy, can't think of anything else
    I'd imagine it's a pretty common one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 342 ✭✭JaneHudson

icthyophobia - fear of fish

JaneHudson wrote: »
    icthyophobia - fear of fish

Dead fish or live fish or just all fish?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭IamMetaldave

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Havermeyer

Running out of beer. :pac:

But on a serious note!? Open spaces and crowded places, i.e. pubs, clubs etc. Fairly mundane. I'd rather a fear of rational things like height, death or spiders. Man, do I need stronger meds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,391 ✭✭✭arbeitsscheuer

watna wrote: »
    Panophobia? Really? As in you have a general fear/dread about life?
    Oh good god yes. I would interpret panophobia as essentially being a fear of pretty much everything - hence the "pan-" - so yup. I'd be afraid of some things more than others, but still... It's what Pratchett would call "an embuggerance".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 mazr

I have a fear of dead things. People, animals etc. People are the worst though, I hate the colour they are especially the lips yuck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 m4cc4

Anesthetical Awareness...................its A New Found Fear And I Will Never Go Under The Knife Ever Ever Again!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I'm Even Puttin A Note On My Donor Card "not To Be Opened Till 2 Days After Death":d

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 Glydeside white

I have a huge fear of rats, once in my hen house i looked thrrough the crack on the door to see if they were ok, and just beside the feeding tray there was this huge rat, and i just froze, also i have a fear of encountering someone who has commited suicide, especially by hanging.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,932 ✭✭✭✭titan18

micmclo wrote: »
    Snakes!

That's it realy, can't think of anything else
    I'd imagine it's a pretty common one

Ya,I absolutely freak out with snakes.If i see a picture in a book i get scared

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Sea Monkey

I've got a totally irrational fear of having my larynx removed with a claw hammer.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,932 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Sea Monkey wrote: »
    I've got a totally irrational fear of having my larynx removed with a claw hammer.

Irrational?I think that is somethign to be afraid of.But when and how would that happen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Sea Monkey

titan18 wrote: »
    Irrational?I think that is somethign to be afraid of.But when and how would that happen.

It's irrational because it's so unlikely to actually happen. And I'm not scared of being stabbed in the kidneys with a crosshead screwdriver, which could happen any day. But it leaps to my mind every time someone walks past with a claw hammer. Especially at night. Sometimes I have bad dreams about it and its always a draper claw hammer....pretty weird eh?.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,662 ✭✭✭Trinity

I'm probably duplicating my first post in strange phobias but i think i put it in the wrong place!!

I'm Trinity, I have a list of fears as long as my arm. SOme i suppose are just mild maybe even dislikes.

My main phobia and its debilitating in everyday life is fear of heights. Not just heights but bridges, escalators, anything going up or coming down!! Shopping is a night mare, you know like blanch and omni have the glass barriers upstairs, its just dizzying for me walking around. I either take the lift or go inside a store that has normal stairs. I cant walk down ones that ar see through.

Arnotts is like my worst nightmare escalators everywhere!! Its disgusting.

The bridge thing is a nightmare as you have to cross one everyday to get just about anywhere, school, shops, mothers. There is a way to avoid it but its extremely long. On a bad day i will take the long way like if i am particuarly tired or stressed. The funny thing about my bridge fear and certain heights is i am not afraid of falling but of jumping or driving off it on purpose. I have no idea where this comes from as i am far from suicidal and love my children very much theres no way i would do that!! But it triggers severe panic attacks and its so draining just getting my son to school.

Milder phobias are spiders, wasps, wheat, cobs of corn and a bigger one is i cant stand anything or anyone near my neck. I threw such a wobbler one day in tesco screaming at other half for touching it. Cant wear polo necks and seat belts make me feel like i cant breathe. I also will go into a pool but wont get my face wet or go under.

Its so sad cos as a child i loved swimming and climbing and feared nothing. Except death, my own and anyone i loved. I still have it but not as bad. I was a very morbid child. But it makes me sad to think i am only half living now. How did i become such a nervous wreck, i was a tomboy. I wish i still was that way as i hardly go anywhere or do anything these days.

I love my car and i love driving but i cant drive on a straight road it send me into a panic. I am ok when in housing estates or somewhere that has a lot of turns andbasically where i have to concentrate and make a lot of movement but sitting still doing nothing looking at the long road ahead starts a panic. The motorway is a no no as a driver or a passenger.

A life lived in fear is a life half lived, i can vouch for that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,122 ✭✭✭LadyJ

Trinity1, I feel your pain. It's strange how we start out feeling so fearless and then, with every new day that passes, we get more and more afraid of everything around us. I guess it's just because we've been living in a world where the most horrible and unexpected things can happen at any moment. How could we not be afraid?

Also, the wanting to fling yourself off a bridge thing; that's very common. People who are afraid of heights etc. or suffer from vertigo can sometimes feel like throwing themselves off the height. I know several people who are compelled to do that but all suffer from vertigo so I think there's a link there. Do you get dizzy on bridges?

Anyway, take it one step at a time. Don't try to conquer all your fears at once but do focus on one and work on coping with it in a new way.

I am well on my way with my fear of flying and when that's done with I will move on to facing my fear of the dark. Don't take on too much.

LadyJ wrote: »
    Also, the wanting to fling yourself off a bridge thing; that's very common. People who are afraid of heights etc. or suffer from vertigo can sometimes feel like throwing themselves off the height. I know several people who are compelled to do that but all suffer from vertigo so I think there's a link there. Do you get dizzy on bridges?
    QUOTE]

I dont know if i get dizzy on bridges as i wont stand on them :D

But i do get dizzy, tremble and shake when up high at all, even looking out the bedroom window of the house. Sometimes even picturing heights in my head makes me dizzy like if i imagine i am looking over a cliff or something. Only way i can describe it is i feel like the ground is coming up to meet me, could i have vertigo? I do feel dizzy looking up at high builidngs. Christ i remember hanging over the balconys of the flats as a kid, even up to 18 or 19, it was second nature. WIsh i knew where that came from.

I had a panic attack coming over the bridge on the way home, its so so disheartening. That means i will have to take my son to school the long way tomorrow :(

I suffer from dizzy spells all the time though, even without heights involved.

Way to go on the flying thing, I'm a long way off that yet!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,122 ✭✭✭LadyJ

Definitely sounds like vertigo to me.

Funny enough i posted in PI about a year and a half ago. I was feeling terrible for weeks and my ears were blocked but doctors could not find anything. I have suddenly developed bad sinusitis since then too and i guess i would say i have never been the same since that bout as it had my nerves wrecked and couldnt go anywhere alone.

Funny people should be discussing vertigo. I managed to fly across the other side of the world without being too frightened (apart from when we landed in Sydney, the airport is beside the sea and we came in so low I thought we were crash landing in the sea!) but somehow developed vertigo while I was away. I've never been afraid of heights but for a few days over our holiday in Malaysia I was terrified. There's a 10 storey shoping centre in Kuala Lumpur that has a roller coaster in it. We went up to the tenth floor and looked down at the rollercoaster and I was shaking and dizzy and disorientated and had to get away. The same happened when we got this cable car thing in Singapore. A few days later I went up this huge tower in KL and I was fine. Not a bother. It was really weird. I didn't think you could get fits of a fear of heights!

• Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭gollyitsolly

Im terrified of motorway driving. I know it sounds stupid because Ive been driving for years but Ive never driven on a motorway. If I even see the motorway sign I break out in a sweat. I go the long way round to everywhere. Also I will never get false teeth in case I choke on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭SmokeyJo84

used to be terrifed of clowns after i saw stephen kings IT as a child...but i think thats a fairly usual one....

was cured of the phobia two years ago at electric picnic when a clown chased me across the front of main stage before rugby tackling me on the request of my 'friend'...i cried, i laughed...and now im cured :)

however....i still have my fear of fully grown people with freakishly small hands for their size

was in an exam last xmas and noticed a classmate writing furiously away...and then i noticed his hands....ugh....

where did that come from??:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 sheeez

Sea Monkey wrote: »
    It's irrational because it's so unlikely to actually happen. And I'm not scared of being stabbed in the kidneys with a crosshead screwdriver, which could happen any day. But it leaps to my mind every time someone walks past with a claw hammer. Especially at night. Sometimes I have bad dreams about it and its always a draper claw hammer....pretty weird eh?.

this is abit crazy..its like something in a horror movie!!:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭Lola87

My main phobia is papercuts (no joke, they freak me out so much), think it sprang from that episode of Jackass with the papercuts....i can't even think about it without being freaked out......ugh. Also people licking envelopes to seal them....for the same reason as above.......:eek:

Advertisement