Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Men's 5000m - Irish reps.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭josh40

Nothing wrong with having an Irish granny! :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭Amz

It probably isn't a comfortable style but it perhaps conserves more energy that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,967 ✭✭✭Big Ears

iasc wrote:
    I also would rather if the irish football squad was fully Irish

so you would rather if the whole squad was born here , raised here and no grand-parents or parent be from another country , or have lived long enough in another country to be egible , because it seems anyone whos not isnt fully Irish and should never be allowed to compete for this country in any sport .

What about a person who grew up with Northern Ireland , and the paerent s were Nothern Irish , yet they had one Irish grandparent nad would rather play for the Republic side in soccer , would you welcome them ?

I guess you don't like Gary Breen playing for Ireland either .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭iasc

Big Ears wrote:
    so you would rather if the whole squad was born here , raised here and no grand-parents or parent be from another country , or have lived long enough in another country to be egible , because it seems anyone whos not isnt fully Irish and should never be allowed to compete for this country in any sport .

i would rather that the person was born and raised here, regardless of parents, if 2 south africans had a child here, and he was raised here, black or white, i would consider him more Irish that somone who was born and raised in South Africa who has Irish Grandparents
    Big Ears wrote:
    What about a person who grew up with Northern Ireland , and the paerent s were Nothern Irish , yet they had one Irish grandparent nad would rather play for the Republic side in soccer , would you welcome them ?

Well if your born on the Island of Ireland you're Irish, and after the way Neil Lennon was treated I think all Northern Irish catholics will choose the reupublic in future
    Big Ears wrote:
    I guess you don't like Gary Breen playing for Ireland either .
    [/QUOTE]
    And as for Gary Breen, regardless of the fact that he's English, he's the biggest pile of crap ever.....but is all this Soccer stuff relevant here

• Advertisement

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 10,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭ecksor

Yeah, lots of Chinese distance runners haven't had a particularly attractive running style, but they just float over the ground.

Sprinters who train consistently seem to be at their best in their late 20s nowadays. But the accept wisdom used to be that you were getting past it once you hit your mid-20s. That had much to do with amateurism and people not keeping it up long in favour of doing other things that they could make a living at though. Perhaps it just seems to go in trends though, one interesting aspect of this olympics has been the younger athletes winning the sprint events. Men's 400m winner is 20 years of age, Men's 100m is 22, 110mh winner is 20, Women's 200m winner is 22. Usain Bolt ran 19.93 for 200m this year and only just turned 18 before the olympics started.

daveirl wrote:

well those reasons are valid , unlike others .
    and by the way all Norther Irish Catholics don't have a choice to pay for the Republic .

Northern Ireland and the Republic of Ireland is not one country no matter how much we want it to be .

Do you think its ok for sports people from Korea PDR(North) to play for Korea Republic(South) ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭Amz

The North and South Korea issue you mention Big Ears was a decision which was obviously come to by the relevant sporting authorities and governments within Korea. I would imagine it had both political motives and it improves the chances of success for both states if they can lay claim to all the athletes.

Big Ears wrote:
    well those reasons are valid , unlike others .
    and by the way all Norther Irish Catholics don't have a choice to pay for the Republic .

Northern Ireland and the Republic of Ireland is not one country no matter how much we want it to be .

Do you think its ok for sports people from Korea PDR(North) to play for Korea Republic(South) ?

If you're born in Northern Ireland, you are entitles to an Irish passport, so why couldnt they have the choice to play for Ireland. They may be different countires, but in Rugby, Athletics and GAA, the island of Ireland is reperesented, so The Korean situation would be different

• Registered Users Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

iasc wrote:
    i would rather that the person was born and raised here,

It seems to me that a person has no say in where they are born, but do have a say in where they live, eventually. So someone who elects to represent a certain country has a greater devotion to that country compared to someone who was merely born there.

Just out of curiosity, how did you vote in the Citizenship referendum?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,167 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Slow coach wrote:
    It seems to me that a person has no say in where they are born, but do have a say in where they live, eventually. So someone who elects to represent a certain country has a greater devotion to that country compared to someone who was merely born there.

Makes sense. So Cragg, who was neither born nor raised in Ireland, and doesn't live there, is less Irish than Merlene Ottey is Slovakian.

Or is he?

How long before they whole place of birth/passport/citizenship issue is overlooked completely, and the richer countries can simply buy athletes from the poorer ones (Qatar are making nice headway in this respect)?

How long before they whole place of birth/passport/citizenship issue is overlooked completely, and the richer countries can simply buy athletes from the poorer ones (Qatar are making nice headway in this respect)?

Or just let the best athletes compete, regardless of where they came into the world.

iasc wrote:
    If you're born in Northern Ireland, you are entitles to an Irish passport, so why couldnt they have the choice to play for Ireland. They may be different countires, but in Rugby, Athletics and GAA, the island of Ireland is reperesented, so The Korean situation would be different

you can be Northern Irish without being born there , say you're parents were in another country at the time .

I didnt know Northern Irish athlethes could apply for a Republic of Ireland passport , but hey , im young.......and ingnorant :D:o .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Johnny_the_fox

as far as i know - in Athletics, the Irish Commitee and the British Commitee (which covers the NI) have an agreement regards which Northern Irish athlete represents... no such rule as a granny rule etc.

If the athlete from the north want to represent Ireland he can.. or he can represent GB & NI.

James McIlroy - represented Ireland years ago.. but have disagreements with Irish athletics and left to join GB & NI.

as far as i know - in Athletics, the Irish Commitee and the British Commitee (which covers the NI) have an agreement regards which Northern Irish athlete represents... no such rule as a granny rule etc.

If the athlete from the north want to represent Ireland he can.. or he can represent GB & NI.

James McIlroy - represented Ireland years ago.. but have disagreements with Irish athletics and left to join GB & NI.

The teams at the Olympics were Great Britain And the team of Ireland
    Great Britain consisted of England, Scotland and Wales and The Ireland team consisted athletes representing the Isalnd of Ireland

What are you basing that on exactly? I've been to championships where the GB team is announced as "Great Britain and Northern Ireland".

ecksor wrote:
    What are you basing that on exactly? I've been to championships where the GB team is announced as "Great Britain and Northern Ireland".

Its just for the Olympics

• Advertisement

What are you basing that on? I've never heard of any differences in territorial representation between the Olympic games and other IAAF championships (although I have heard of differences in eligibility criteria, e.g. Wilson Kipketer in 1995 and 1996).

Check out http://encyclopedia.thefreedictionary.com/Great%20Britain

In Munich in 2002 the stadium commentary began by referring to the GB team as "Great Britain" but quickly changed to "Great Britain and Northern Ireland". I was told that this is a common occurance. However, the point is not so much the name as what you mean exactly when you don't include Northern Ireland as being represented by the GB team.

ecksor wrote:
    What are you basing that on? I've never heard of any differences in territorial representation between the Olympic games and other IAAF championships (although I have heard of differences in eligibility criteria, e.g. Wilson Kipketer in 1995 and 1996).

Check out http://encyclopedia.thefreedictionary.com/Great%20Britain

In Munich in 2002 the stadium commentary began by referring to the GB team as "Great Britain" but quickly changed to "Great Britain and Northern Ireland". I was told that this is a common occurance. However, the point is not so much the name as what you mean exactly when you don't include Northern Ireland as being represented by the GB team.

Yes, Munich 2002 wasnt the Olympics was it?
    There is no real difference because if your Northern Irish you can represnt Ireland or Great Britain..like Brizzel and Kuerten
    So it doesnt make a difference. Except thats just the way its done

In every other non olympic events, they are referred to as team GB and Ni, on-screen titles, commentators etc...Have you heard them referred to GB and NI at all during the Olympics?

iasc wrote:
    Yes, Munich 2002 wasnt the Olympics was it?

I was making a particular point about the naming and why I think you're confused.
    iasc wrote:
    There is no real difference because if your Northern Irish you can represnt Ireland or Great Britain..like Brizzel and Kuerten
    So it doesnt make a difference.

This seems to contradict what you're saying originally about what territories are represented.
    iasc wrote:
    Except thats just the way its done

I don't know what you mean by that.
    iasc wrote:
    In every other non olympic events, they are referred to as team GB and Ni, on-screen titles, commentators etc...Have you heard them referred to GB and NI at all during the Olympics?

No, but considering what I posted above about Munich I'm still asking what you're basing the claim that there's a difference on.

The CBS website seems to think you're mistaken btw: http://cbs.sportsline.com/olympics/summer/nations/country/GBR

The BOA seem to think the following:
    The British Olympic Association (“BOA”) is the National Olympic Committee (“NOC”) for Great Britain and Northern Ireland

From http://www.olympics.org.uk/press/pressdetail.asp?boa_press_id=196

iasc wrote:

I'm not and never was disputing that.

When you posted this
    The teams at the Olympics were Great Britain And the team of Ireland
    Great Britain consisted of England, Scotland and Wales and The Ireland team consisted athletes representing the Isalnd of Ireland

it seemed to imply that Northern Ireland were not represented on the GB team.

ecksor wrote:
    I'm not and never was disputing that.

When you posted this

it seemed to imply that Northern Ireland were not represented on the GB team.

Eh..CBS, I'd need a better link than an American Site, as for your second link, as you cans ee by the date, it preceeds my link...

The Irish team sent to the Olympics represents the whole Island Of ireland
    Team GB represents, England Scotland And Wales, althought if your from Northern Ireland, you can choose to represent them, your not representing Northern Ireland.

iasc wrote:
    Eh..CBS, I'd need a better link than an American Site, as for your second link, as you cans ee by the date, it preceeds my link...

Your link is more recent but I don't see where it says that the name or the nature of the representation had changed in anyway.

ecksor wrote:
    Your link is more recent but I don't see where it says that the name or the nature of the representation had changed in anyway.

Well, alot of the olympic events we partake in, boxing, swimming...
    have all-ireland governing bodies, now the athletics and others have a great britain and northern ireland body, however when the Olympics come round it cant work like that, so you either represent Team Great Britain Or Team Ireland

iasc wrote:
    The Irish team sent to the Olympics represents the whole Island Of ireland
    Team GB represents, England Scotland And Wales, althought if your from Northern Ireland, you can choose to represent them, your not representing Northern Ireland.

I'm afraid you're wrong, IASC. The Olympic Council of Ireland represents Ireland. The British Olympic Council represents the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland.

Anybody born in the 6 counties can elect to represent either the UK or Ireland.

• Advertisement

Slow coach wrote:
    I'm afraid you're wrong, IASC. The Olympic Council of Ireland represents Ireland. The British Olympic Council represents the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland.

Anybody born in the 6 counties can elect to represent either the UK or Ireland.

Can you back up that the British Olympic Council represents NOrthern Ireland...

Advertisement