Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Men's 5000m - Irish reps.

13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭iasc

http://www.olympics.org.uk/press/pressdetail.asp?boa_press_id=283

have a read of this while you're loking aorund

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 10,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭ecksor

That link seems to back us up.
    Unbeknown to each other both the OCI and BOA have constitutions approved by the IOC acknowledging territorial responsibility for Northern Ireland.

They talk about maintaining the status quo and the other more recent link you put in confirms the status quo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭iasc

Dear xxx,
    In reply to your e-mail of 30th August, 2004, the Irish Olympic Team in
    Athens was representative of the 32 counties of Ireland.

Yours sincerely,
    Barry Holohan,
    Administrator.

Original Message
    To: <admin@olympic-council.ie>
    Sent: Monday, August 30, 2004 2:42 PM
    Subject: Question

> Hi, I'd just like to have something clarified.
    > Is the Irish team in the Olympics representing the Republic Of Ireland or
    > the island of Ireland...since alot of sports in Ireland are goverened by
    > All-Ireland bodies I was just wondering...thanks
    >
    > rgds xxx
    >
    >

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 10,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭ecksor

I don't see anybody disputing that. The disputes have all been purely about who the GB team represents. You yourself showed us that there are two teams with claims of representing athletes from Northern Ireland, Team GB and the Irish Olympic Team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,642 ✭✭✭The Rooster

The fact of the matter is that the 6 Counties of Northern Ireland are represented by both Ireland and Great Britain. Any athlete can choose who to represent, and that's the way it been since the 1920's e.g. Wayne McCullough represented Ireland, Mary Peters represented GB.

For all recent Olympics, when GB have been doing up the Olympic doucmentation, flyers, accreditaiton badges etc., the team has always been called "Great Britain". However, for the Athens Olympics when they produced the documentation the team was called "Great Britain and Northern Ireland".

Pat Hickey had the proverbial canary about this, and sent letter of complaints to both Britain and the head of the Olympic movement. The reason I know all this is that Hickey was on both George Hook's radio show and Matt Cooper's radio show ranting about it (a number of months ago). I've no idea whether he was successful or not in getting the name changed back to just GB.

• Advertisement
Advertisement