Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Samsung S10, S10 Plus, S10 E, S10 5G

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Shn99

Same as playing with it a lot of the day, the hole is annoying me, it's costing way too much screen real estate in the likes of youtube.

Few more gripes with it but I'll leave it at that.

You’d struggle badly with a notch :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,331 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Wouldn't touch one with yours : ) i'll keep my front firing speakers!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭rizzee

Shn99 wrote: »
    Where was this? Tried Vodafone today and they didn’t have them only the advertisements

Harvey Norman Blanchardstown. I asked when were they getting in demo units and the staff member went out the back and got me one to mess around with. Sound! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭Geimhreadh

Anyone successfully order through Vodafone.ie?

Trying to go from payg Vodafone to pre order signing up to the 40 euro plan and the site will not let me keep existing number.

Called customer care and of course you can't order over the phone and the only advice is to go into a store. Who will tell me you need to call customer care.......ugggghhhh the Vodafone cycle of death.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

I'm in Toronto at the moment, and had a look at the 10+ in the store. It's nice looking, and feels great, looks great, etc - it's not a giant leap forward in terms of appearance - I have a Note 9, so I will not be upgrading for this, but it definitely looks to be a great phone, and a good upgrade from, say, a S8. I wouldn't be rushing to upgrade from a newer phone though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭wandererz

512GB S10+
    £915 on Amazon if you have a VAT account.

128GB is £749

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭wingnut

Reati wrote: »
    With a service charge of up to 500 euro if you read the T&Cs

Thats in relation to the trade in, but if you return the phone under the 14 day rule I can't see how that would be enforceable.

Anyone try carphone warehouse, they will trade in €50 less but at least you can go to the bricks and mortar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,903 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Anyone get this email from Three

"Thanks for your recent upgrade order. We are delighted that you chose Three, however due to the high level of demand the
    device is temporarily out of stock and will be delayed by more than our standard shipping time of 1-2 days.

Please be assured that your order is still confirmed and will be sent to you as soon as possible.

Please Note-If you have purchased a pre-order device, please delete this email- your pre-ordered device will be shipped by its advertised release date"

Bit confusing ??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

PTH2009 wrote: »

"Thanks for your recent upgrade order. We are delighted that you chose Three, however due to the high level of demand the
    device is temporarily out of stock and will be delayed by more than our standard shipping time of 1-2 days.

Please be assured that your order is still confirmed and will be sent to you as soon as possible.

Please Note-If you have purchased a pre-order device, please delete this email- your pre-ordered device will be shipped by its advertised release date"

Bit confusing ??

Your order is confirmed. Delete the email.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭Cina

Most tech reviewers are saying it's well worth the upgrade on the S8 so I'm definitely not regretting my order. Can not wait!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

PTH2009 wrote: »

Bit confusing ??

Standard reply on pre orders from three, was the same when I preordered an s8

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,068 ✭✭✭MarkY91

Your not going to notice the colour if it ends up in a case and considering the amount of screen your going to need one or insurance.

Exactly. This is also the very reason I think thin phones are stupid as they go into a fat case anyway so why not make it a little fatter and stick in more battery

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭dan786

Finally a proper video the Galaxy Fold.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,903 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

dan786 wrote: »
    Finally a proper video the Galaxy Fold.

Nah but is this the future of smartphones

What can they possibly do with the s11 upwards ?

Hard to believe it's taken us 23 years to get from the Nokia 9000 to this.....

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,931 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Hideous looking thing IMO (the Galaxy Fold)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

Don't like how the Huawei folds from the looks of that. Prefer the way the Samsung works.

Don't like how the Huawei folds from the looks of that. Prefer the way the Samsung works.

The Samsung has some of the screen missing though. It's neither a notch or a hole.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,828 ✭✭✭unklerosco

I'd have the mate X over the galaxy fold but you would deffo need that get it insured and I can only imagine that that'd cost...

https://youtu.be/lbWAT_j1Y7c

€2299!

• Advertisement

unklerosco wrote: »
    I'd have the mate X over the galaxy fold but you would deffo need that get it insured and I can only imagine that that'd cost...

https://youtu.be/lbWAT_j1Y7c

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057959036

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭pad199207

The new S10 ad on TV is brilliant. As a staunch Apple user I’m extremely tempted by this model.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

The single hole punch doesn't look as good on the S10 in the hand compared to the S10+. The S10+ and the 5G really look good if you like bigger screens. They are fast, and would be a big setup from an S8.

The different range of colours will sell well I think, something for everyone. They need to be seen in person to appreciate the prism affect, especially the black which looks nothing on photos.

The S10e is nice if you want a cheaper galaxy but the fingerprint button is strangely high up, wont suit a lot of people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Davy wrote: »

The S10e is nice if you want a cheaper galaxy but the fingerprint button is strangely high up, wont suit a lot of people.

I think that type of thing is annoying for a few days until your muscle memory kicks in. The S8 placement annoyed me, but I got used to it fairly fast. The Note 9 annoyed me because it moved (even though it is in a better position), until I got used to it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,274 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

I'm moving from the S8+, really tempted by the S10+, but pondering the idea of waiting for the S10 5G a few months down the road.

smurfjed wrote: »
    I'm moving from the S8+, really tempted by the S10+, but pondering the idea of waiting for the S10 5G a few months down the road.

Knowing Ireland's internet adaption rate, it'll be a long time before 5G becomes properly feasible here, given its demands on infrastructure and spending are far higher than 4G.

Thanks Cina, I travel a lot so I guess that I'm looking for something that a little bit more than a new camera.

Thanks Cina, I travel a lot so I guess that I'm looking for something that a little bit more than a new camera.
    I think if you're coming from the S8+ then the S10+ will be a good upgrade, considering it's only a two year gap between the phones.

What is the big deal about 5g?

4g does everything I need on my phone when outdoors then switch to my WiFi at home.

A new toy.

Anyway, as this subject was in my mind I did a little bit of research and discovered that the 5G will be single sim, thats a stopper for me as I love the dual sim option on the S8+.

And yes I do have a logical reason for having 3 sim cards in two different phones :)

Preordered @ E844 with ear buds and a E200 screen care voucher. (128g Black)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31 lacee1986

Have anyone seen these models in any of the Vodafone stores yet?

I struggle between the three models and I don't want to pre-order until a checked the sizes.

@smurfjed: Where did you pre-ordered?

lacee1986 wrote: »

I struggle between the three models and I don't want to pre-order until a checked the sizes.

Yeah they are in the carphonewarehouse and Vodafone shop in Swords anyway so I d say most shops have a demo model by now.

Can't seem to pre order directly with Vodafone, customer care say you need to do in the shop, the shop says you can only do it online, website won't let me keep my number as it's already a Vodafone Payg........shambles as always.

Went to CPW and ordered with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,925 ✭✭✭Reati

lacee1986 wrote: »

The ones on Grafton street didn't have any yesterday and they look confused when I asked if they had a demo model. They said to try CPW too lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,295 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Reati wrote: »
    The ones on Grafton street didn't have any yesterday and they look confused when I asked if they had a demo model. They said to try CPW too lol

Was in an Eir store last week and they said that the Irish launch party was Feb 28, and they wouldn't know anything at a store level til then - and that online was different.

A new toy.

Anyway, as this subject was in my mind I did a little bit of research and discovered that the 5G will be single sim, thats a stopper for me as I love the dual sim option on the S8+.

And yes I do have a logical reason for having 3 sim cards in two different phones :)

Fair enough. I love my new toys myself but it doesn't personally excite me as 4g is perfectly fine for YouTube, Spotify, browsing etc. I couldn't think of a reason to need 5g on my phone.

Even at home, I could get away with 4g easily except for PS4 and multiple users connected at once.

This is the first year in about 5 that I haven't been excited for a new Samsung release :(

chrislad wrote: »
    I think that type of thing is annoying for a few days until your muscle memory kicks in. The S8 placement annoyed me, but I got used to it fairly fast. The Note 9 annoyed me because it moved (even though it is in a better position), until I got used to it!

Maybe your right, but I found the only way it would be natural is if you held the phone like a thumbs up emoji (for want of a better term! :pac:) hold your phone like this and it should make sense. The button is in line with the cameras practically as high as it can go.

The 4 finger tips on the left, and thumb straight upwards. In realty, no one holds a phone that way. If its one hand use, you use the palm to hold it, and the thumb is much lower down closer to the keyboard.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Lfcfan2017

Is it just me thinking that the prices of these devices are extremely high. I'm on contract with three and even paying €45 a month you'd want to sell a kidney to upgrade to the s10 or my preferred note 9. I currently have an aging mate 9, after 2 years I should be able to upgrade for a reasonable sum. 😠

MarkY91 wrote: »

4g does everything I need on my phone when outdoors then switch to my WiFi at home.

The 5G model may not use 5G mobile connection here for some a long time, but some people may prefer it because of bigger screen, Tof sensor, faster charging, future proofing for resale etc

5G isn't worth thinking about in this, and most likely the next, generation of phones. It's still in buzzword stage.

• Advertisement

Lfcfan2017 wrote: »
    Is it just me thinking that the prices of these devices are extremely high. I'm on contract with three and even paying €45 a month you'd want to sell a kidney to upgrade to the s10 or my preferred note 9. I currently have an aging mate 9, after 2 years I should be able to upgrade for a reasonable sum. 😠

400 euro?

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Lfcfan2017

Geimhreadh wrote: »
    400 euro?

I never had to pay €400 to upgrade,I upgrade every 2 years to a flagship generally. A perk of being on contract used to be a discounted upgrade. Not so much any more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭jap gt

If ordered from samsung, how likely is it the phone will be delivered on the 8th of march

jap gt wrote: »
    If ordered from samsung, how likely is it the phone will be delivered on the 8th of march

Unless Nightline feck it up, they would be shipped to be delivered on the Friday.

I'm not in Ireland, but mine is showing as shipped today, hope it arrives before i leave town again :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,925 ✭✭✭Reati

Lfcfan2017 wrote: »
    I never had to pay €400 to upgrade,I upgrade every 2 years to a flagship generally. A perk of being on contract used to be a discounted upgrade. Not so much any more.

Those days are gone. The carriers aren't taking a hit on discounting the cost of the phone any more.

If you actually work out the costs you will see you pretty much pay the full unlocked price for the phone in the end anyway.

I have a SO 30e a month contract. Moving to any bill that has the S10 gives me less for more and I still pay full price for the phone in the end.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 24,005 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

My take on it is that getting a phone on contract is like taking out a loan for a car, you will have it now but you'll be paying for it for a few years and you'll end up paying more for it in the long term.

Virgin Media Sim Only is 25 a month after that, so for 2 years of unlimited data/calls/texts you'll pay 600 (there is a free 3 month offer at the moment but I'll ignore that for now)
    For the S10 you'll pay 149 up front, 35 a month for the phone for 24 months and 25 for the data plan, that works out at 989 for the phone and 600 for the plan. If you want to pay it off over 12 months it's 449 upfront and 45 monthly for the phone, or 989. The straight cost of the phone on Samsung is 919 so you are paying 70 extra.

Sorry for the lack of euro symbols, my keyboard is broken :(

There's no real getting around it, long term you will lose money by going contract, it will always work out as more than outright buying the device and going PAYG.

I only bought the S10 Plus direct from Samsung because of the trade-in on my S8, which took 300e off it, as well as the free €130 earbuds, it works out as a good deal.

Thing about Samsung phones is they do usually drop in price after a few months, the optimal time to buy would probably be over the summer, all phones will likely be around €200 cheaper on the Italian or German amazon by then.

Short straw for Europe again. Wouldn't cast a thought about something as irrelevant as benchmarks but battery would be a worry.

(Disclaimer: He's from Android Police and, as anyone who listens to their podcast will know, they like nothing.)

https://twitter.com/RDRv3/status/1100695135581626369?s=19

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

Is the pre-order on samsung.ie leading to a 400 Bad Request for anyone else?

745£ from Eglobal UK site for S10+. Thats 155£ less than Samsung UK site. Also they have the new earbuds for just 89.99£. Got my last two phone from here, a S9 Plus and Note 9.

• Advertisement
Advertisement