Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 - €300 - Snapdragon 835, 6GB, 64GB - Global Version

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,627 Mod ✭✭✭✭tedpan

I think the Nokia 8 available from a UK retailer for €330 blows this away.

Like the specs, but don't really like the look of it. The 4k screen in a small form factor is nice too but the front looks like an old iPhone.

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭Cocoon

Very nice phone buy what is the delivery like with Bang good, will it be hit buy customs?

Cocoon wrote:
    Very nice phone buy what is the delivery like with Bang good, will it be hit buy customs?

Usually takes 2 weeks, but can take 3 sometimes, patience is key!

I've ordered at least 10 phones from banggood and gearbest over the past few years and never had an issue. The same with drones and other electronics, I did get caught on a battery last year though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭august12

Cocoon wrote:

I bought from them and was caught for customs, just after purchasing mi A1 from EU global, no customs and very fast delivery as opposed to banggood.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

They offer customs insurance. I had to use it once when bought my dashcam...

august12 wrote:
    I bought from them and was caught for customs, just after purchasing mi A1 from EU global, no customs and very fast delivery as opposed to banggood.

Eglobal are great and their prices include duties, although usually 50e more expensive. As I said, the risk is there, but very small based on my personal experience, friends and colleagues buying mobiles from gearbest and banggood.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,666 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

I was about to pull the trigger on one of these after a fair bit of research as it's one of the top Chibese phones and only really beaten by the new Mix Mix 2S IMO.

Only didn't go for it because I got another new phone for free, but at this price it's a serious bargain.

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭LariToper

grogi wrote: »
    They offer customs insurance. I had to use it once when bought my dashcam...

That's hilarious, so you prove you had to pay customs and they refund you the amount?

• Registered Users Posts: 917 ✭✭✭Mr_Muffin

Really thinking about this, although the possibility of a customs charge is holding me back. My mi5 is starting to slowly deteriorate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭Etnies

Great looking phone, but no headphone jack and no ip68 rating? Or did I miss it

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

LariToper wrote: »
    That's hilarious, so you prove you had to pay customs and they refund you the amount?

Yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,344 ✭✭✭ErinGoBrath

My mi max 2 is that bit too big and black bar at top and bottom of screen not the most aesthetic.

Very tempted

sugarman wrote: »
    Good spec, but how does it "blow it away"? Its almost identical every aspect! Given the Xiaomi has 2GB more RAM and is €30 cheaper id be inclined to chose that.
    1) Actual warranty
    2) Shipping within days rather than weeks
    3) Splash proof
    4) Headphone jack
    5) Significantly lighter
    6) Better display quality with higher resolution
    7) Better camera
    8) Pure android
    9) ANT+ support

The xiaomi offers a bigger screen within the same size package, 2gb extra ram and slightly less battery life.

Yes, I do think the Nokia 8 deal blows it away, but if you're addicted to 'cheap chinese phones' because you've convinced yourself they're always a bargain,
    by all means knock yourself out!

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭vjmcdonnell

1) Actual warranty
    2) Shipping within days rather than weeks
    3) Splash proof
    4) Headphone jack
    5) Significantly lighter
    6) Better display quality with higher resolution
    7) Better camera
    8) Pure android
    9) ANT+ support

The xiaomi offers a bigger screen within the same size package, 2gb extra ram and slightly less battery life.

Yes, I do think the Nokia 8 deal blows it away, but if you're addicted to 'cheap chinese phones' because you've convinced yourself they're always a bargain,
    by all means knock yourself out!

Sorry but really have to say the Nokia is Old Old Old
    The design and thinking are still the reason Nokia failed and with their new phones nothing is changing.

Dont think Xiaomi are some small knock off Chinese Phone manufacturer.

*4th Biggest phone manufacturer in the world
    *Shops in Greece and Spain. Coming to whole of Europe soon
    *Phone is Designed by Philippe Starck
    *Really brought full screen displays to the masses
    *Best Internals in Snapdragon 835 and Externals in Ceramic Body
    *From Ordering I had it in my hand in less than a week

I have the 128gb for the last 4 months and love it. Bought it as wanted that amazing screen.

Yes, I do think the Nokia 8 deal blows it away, but if you're addicted to 'cheap chinese phones' because you've convinced yourself they're always a bargain, by all means knock yourself out!

The Nokia is basically the same form factor with a much smaller display. 5.3" Vs 6.0" is significant.

I suppose it depends what you want in a phone.

Tazz T wrote:
    I see Oukitel is doing a copy for well under €200. Had a few Oukitels in the past and they're good phones.

The processor is vastly different though

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

Sorry but really have to say the Nokia is Old Old Old
    The design and thinking are still the reason Nokia failed and with their new phones nothing is changing.
    The Nokia 8 and Mi Mix came out virtually the same time, in fact, the Nokia came out a month after the Mi Mix 2 so it's "newer".

Design is subjective, the new phones are some of the nicest designed and well built.

Can you elaborate on the thinking that Nokia has done, which has failed them? :confused:

*4th Biggest phone manufacturer in the world
    *Shops in Greece and Spain. Coming to whole of Europe soon
    *Phone is Designed by Philippe Starck
    *Really brought full screen displays to the masses
    *Best Internals in Snapdragon 835 and Externals in Ceramic Body
    *From Ordering I had it in my hand in less than a week

The Nokia 8 also has the SD835. Other than bigger RAM and different screen style, theirs not much difference between the two phones, they probably run very similar if not near identical.

The two biggest difference between the phones is really screen type, some people like the full screen, other don't! Both are good phones!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭vjmcdonnell

The design, it's very previous generation iPhone. With the S8 and iPhone X (And Mi Mix) there is a definite shift to as close to full screen as possible. When smart phones came out they used a quite unstable OS with a uninspired design. Nokia quickly went from top to bottom.

With mobiles u are either pushing the boundaries or u are going out of Business.

Apologies for off topic

Slightly cheaper at 295e today

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭A.Gorilla

I badly need to upgrade frim my galaxy S6. Is this phone worth it then? Was looking at the s8/s9 but theyre mad money...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭rocky

A.Gorilla wrote: »
    I badly need to upgrade frim my galaxy S6. Is this phone worth it then? Was looking at the s8/s9 but theyre mad money...

I was looking at this phone when it first came out. Looks great, but 2 things that put me off were the forward facing camera placement ( bottom of screen) and the image quality which wasn't great all the time (in reviews)(coming from a moto 4G with poor camera it was the most important upgrade I wanted). Ended up with an S7 edge and haven't used the DSLR since for daily snaps. I'm not saying the camera is better than a 600D, but for what I use it, inconvenience and heft loses to it most of the time (except 12x optical zoom )

Long winded way of saying if you don't care much about the 2 things I mentioned, the Xiaomi looks like a good phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,628 ✭✭✭corks finest

My mi max 2 is that bit too big and black bar at top and bottom of screen not the most aesthetic.

Very tempted

No FM radio though

• Registered Users Posts: 2,344 ✭✭✭ErinGoBrath

No FM radio though

I use tunein radio most of the time some wouldn't really bother me

A.Gorilla wrote: »

It's a beast. Everyone has they're own preference, there's nothing that touches it's performance with basically a full size bezelless display for the money.

There's a lot of reviews on YouTube, I particularly like unbox therapy!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭Mrcaramelchoc

6 inch screen.jeez that's huge.i went from a 5 inch to 5.7 and i still haven't gotten used to it.6 inches is way to big you may as well carry an ipad.

6 inch screen.jeez that's huge.i went from a 5 inch to 5.7 and i still haven't gotten used to it.6 inches is way to big you may as well carry an ipad.

Yes, but it's the same form factor as the Noki a mentioned earlier on this thread, so might not feel as big as you think

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,947 ✭✭✭dixiefly

No FM radio though

Any recommended phone that does have FM radio?

Advertisement