Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Specsavers - how do they get away with it?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭learn_more

Oh and why can't you have a pair of sunglasses that have standard lens ie no scratch resistance. Standard sunglasses like. Or is that not allowed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

bladespin wrote: »
    Spex4 less, UK company recommended by a work mate.

I've always used https://www.glassesdirect.co.uk/ myself. Excellent service and currently a 50% off sale + free pair (until Wednesday). My previous buy of standard vision glasses cost me €62 for two pairs delivered. Varifocals cost an extra £50 per frame but that's still a hell of a lot cheaper than anywhere in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭Ann22

You need to have €500 in your pocket going there for new glasses despite the e89 frames/buy one-get one free/free sight test deals. Having lenses thinned/anti glare adds up to a serious amount.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭nhunter100

Ann22 wrote:
    You need to have Ã႒¢â€šÂ¬500 in your pocket going there for new glasses despite the e89 frames/buy one-get one free/free sight test deals. Having lenses thinned/anti glare adds up to a serious amount.

You can go in and buy the frames with single vision lenses for the set price. Be it 89/ 129/ or 149. However if you choose extras such as thin lenses or costings why wouldn't you expect to pay more. But they are optional extras you can say no thanks just the standard.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭bladespin

Orion wrote:
    Urmagurd. I've been wearing glasses for 36 years. Standard lenses are standard lenses. Always have been. Tinted, polarising, polaroid, reactalite - whatever they're calling it today have always been extra. Since the 70s at least!

Totally agree but these were not described as 'glasses' they were specifically listed as 'sunglasses', hence the thread.
    Orion wrote:
    Get real. Nobody is forcing you to pay for it. When they give you the price you can just say no and take your prescription and go elsewhere. Vote with your feet and don't be sheeple.
    I did.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭Ann22

My young lad is extremely short sighted. The lenses have to be thinned so it's not really a choice for us but yes I do know they are extras that have to be paid for but they are hugely pricy. Im always upset when his eyesight worsens so when they do the sales patter..."you can thin them a tiny bit for such and such.A medium amount-but sure they'll still be quite thick.... for such and such and the thinnest for whatever amount I'm an easy sell.
    It cost almost e500 for him last time. One pair fully thinned. 2nd (free) pair partially thinned. Think we had anti glare in both. It's a hugely expensive business especially if you many prescription changes and way over priced.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭puss

https://www.specsavers.ie/favourites/my
    Just look at this link. If I seen this online I think I would expect to buy these for €89.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Thanks for the recommendation OP, was in looking for glasses today and the ones I like are €325 cheaper online. (€200 if you dont get ant-uv, anti-glare, thinner lenses)

Just collected my new glasses ((will post a pic soon).
    2 pairs for £53, look nice, similar quality to my ss specs too.
    Amazballs, spex4less sunglasses came with tinted lenses at no extra cost - WOW!

32835174934_c382586aea_b.jpg

'Tinted' sunglasses and spare pair of regular glasses for less than the price of a pair of SS sunglasses with 'standard' lenses.

I'm very happy with these :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

bladespin wrote: »
    32835174934_c382586aea_b.jpg

'Tinted' sunglasses and spare pair of regular glasses for less than the price of a pair of SS sunglasses with 'standard' lenses.

I'm very happy with these :cool:

Imagine sunglasses that are tinted. :pac::pac::pac:

pilly wrote: »
    Imagine sunglasses that are tinted. :pac::pac::pac:

Shocker! - though I did have that moment just before I opened the box - imagine if they weren't!!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭musiknonstop

When buying online how do you measure the pupil distance?

All info I needed was on the SS prescription, all I did was measure my old glasses to see what the frames would be like in comparison.

If it's not on the prescription you got from your optician just ask them for it. My optician puts it on the prescription but some don't (they should but don't).

If you don't have it measure it yourself or get a friend to help.
    http://www.zennioptical.com/measuring-pd-infographic

Once you have it (and you're an adult) it doesn't change so just use the same one every time.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

I measured it myself a few times and a friend measured it for me, tried it a few different ways again until our answer was the same. Good to have two values to work off. Opticians often don't give it out because they know you will buy online, however you can say you need it for things like scuba wear or a VR headset legitimately.

I measured it myself a few times and a friend measured it for me, tried it a few different ways again until our answer was the same. Good to have two values to work off. Opticians often don't give it out because they know you will buy online, however you can say you need it for things like scuba wear or a VR headset legitimately.

If they've measured it and you ask for it they have to give it to you. But that's the reason some don't include it on the written prescription yes.

If they have it they would have to give it to you under the data protection act I take it. However I imagine some places don't measure it until the fitting glasses phase to avoid having to give it to people, but I dunno, moral of the story is to just ask.

If they have it they would have to give it to you under the data protection act I take it. However I imagine some places don't measure it until the fitting glasses phase to avoid having to give it to people, but I dunno, moral of the story is to just ask.

That's exactly it. However if it's not your first time wearing glasses then it has been measured and it doesn't change once your an adult so happy days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 391 ✭✭nailer54321

AAAAAAAaaaaa specsavers why o why do people get suckered in by them, they always send out free eye test leaflet but try to go through your prsi. Onece I got my eyes tested in there, rang up to make an appointment mentioned I have a free eye test leaflet which they sent out, all ok so far. went to get my eyes test, no problems, looked around and found that they were very expensive for glasses so declined to buy any, asked to have my eye test results and got them no problem, then they tried to charge me so I gave them the letter which clearly stated free eye test so the person asked me for my prsi number and I asked why do you need that, and reply was well we will go through you prsi to pay for eye test, I handed the letter for free eye test over and said that there is no mention of any prsi on this so I just declined to give my prsi number and said goodbuy. If it states free then its free. I always get my eyes tested in a independent opticions now, find them much better than this over priced place. people need to be firm with these places, they seem to think once we get them in then we will get something out of them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭driver02

Is it possible to get your eye test at Spesavers and take the prescription to another optician?

driver02 wrote:
    Is it possible to get your eye test at Spesavers and take the prescription to another optician?

Yes

Thank I’m quite happy with the optician at the outlet involved but find the sales assistants there terribly pushy, like they are on commission, they are not cheap anymore either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

Always ask for your prescription. If you lose your glasses then you just take your prescription to any optician to get replacements, handy when away on holidays. They don't like giving you the prescription but if you ask for it they have to give it to you.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,651 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

You also need the inter-pupil distance (two numbers, often but not always the same; depends on whether your nose is centered or not) to actually get glasses made. Opticians often refuse to give this unless you've bought a pair of glasses through them as it is not part of the prescription but part of the sales process. You can measure it yourself but its bloody awkward.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

I was thinking of going to specsavers next, as I find it rather expensive going to private optician, what is a typical test costing there

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭emeldc

goat2 wrote: »
    I was thinking of going to specsavers next, as I find it rather expensive going to private optician, what is a typical test costing there

I think it's free if you're paying PRSI.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,651 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Specsavers are a private optician...

Tests are free annually for standard PRSI and medical card holders; it would be rare to be more than €40 anywhere else for those who fall outside those categories.

Any have any experience of vision express are the bette/cheaper than specsavers.

• Advertisement

L1011 wrote: »
    Specsavers are a private optician...

Tests are free annually for standard PRSI and medical card holders; it would be rare to be more than €40 anywhere else for those who fall outside those categories.

Free every two years not one.

Advertisement