Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Specsavers - how do they get away with it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭readytosnap

Op, take a screenshot and report them to advertising standards.
    They are normally good at replying.

I usually get my eyes tested in specdaver and buy online.

Specdaver? I'd get a second eye test if I were you :D:D

OP maybe they were not sunglasses, they could of been stunglasses?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

I totally agree with OP, advertising Sunglasses that you have to pay to get made into sunglasses? Total rip-off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 815 ✭✭✭animaal

I've also been (and continue to be) happy with Specsavers, but in this issue I agree with the OP.

If it has clear lenses, it's not a pair of sunglasses. I would have thought it would fall under the Sale of Goods Act; i.e. "fit for the purpose intended". SUNglasses that don't protect the eyes from the sun???

All we're missing is the "You weren't forced to buy it so it's not a rip off" brigade...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,081 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

bladespin wrote: »
    Really, priced at €89 but you have to give them €149 to get what's actually described while a similar product can be purchases for €32 (with lenses).

Refusing their own voucher over a PRSI claim?

Where did you get the 32e ones?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,331 ✭✭✭bladespin

Where did you get the 32e ones?

Spex4 less, UK company recommended by a work mate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

Not as bad as optical express in new bridge , some hot shot (or so he thought ) option trying to up sell me on Lasik the whole time, No means no.

If I can find a nice local option I try go to them rather give my business to people who appreciate it but it is hard. Especially if you want decent selection.

That's definitely my lesson from my experiences, it's hard to beat the chains for cheap (lol) frames though, in this case all I wanted was a cheapo pair for the car/hols.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

pilly wrote: »
    I totally agree with OP, advertising Sunglasses that you have to pay to get made into sunglasses? Total rip-off.
    Specsavers don't really sell "sunglasses" though. They sell suggested frame ranges (similar to kids, women and men) that are suitable for including a prescription with. That's why you'll never see a pair of wraparound shades - because the curvature isn't suitable for most prescription lenses.

That said I do agree it is disingenuous to put up a picture of a frame with tinted lens and a price for non-tint (despite the text stating standard single vision) on the website. The price should state no tint/UV or at the very least have a drop down where you need to specify tint/no tint for the actual price. Lens options are already confusing enough to most customers.

• Site Banned Posts: 129 ✭✭nosilver

• Registered Users Posts: 1,942 ✭✭✭ItHurtsWhenIP

Calhoun wrote: »

If I can find a nice local option I try go to them rather give my business to people who appreciate it but it is hard. Especially if you want decent selection.

I had previously been with SpecSavers for many years, but chose the local option the last time I got glasses. I thought the eyetest was better, though the selection of frames was limited. I have a large head (quit sniggering down the back! :D) so she only had about 3 frames that fit me. :( The only one I liked was €200, so I got it.

It lasted less than 2 years before the frame broke while sitting on my face, with a lense flying off to the ground. I'm back to wearing my previous SS provided glasses, which I had for 3 years with no problem (cost €129 I think).

So I think I better go (back) to Specsavers.

BTW - I saw something on BBC Watchdog last season about one of the "eye-test-chains" charging stupid money for a "blue-light coating" to "reduce the stress on your eyes from reading smartphone/tablet screens all day." Apparently it is complete and utter bovine excrement. :rolleyes: Do Specsavers try that one?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭rawn

BTW - I saw something on BBC Watchdog last season about one of the "eye-test-chains" charging stupid money for a "blue-light coating" to "reduce the stress on your eyes from reading smartphone/tablet screens all day." Apparently it is complete and utter bovine excrement. Do Specsavers try that one?

Myself and my husband got that coating on ours... Say it ain't so!

Tbf we spend a lot of time on the computer and I do find my eyes don't feel at tired as they used to at the end of the day, so it seems to work for me!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

The op is wrong on this being a rip. As so many people have said the tint is extra.

That said the cost of glasses in Ireland is a total ripoff. I'm now on varifocals and the opticians said nearly 300 for the lenses. Frames extra. Bought two pairs of designer frames with varifocals for around 140 delivered. Varis were £50 on top of frame price (which included standard lenses).

Been buying from glassesdirect for years. Excellent service. One of the frames didn't fit well - sent them back and got a different set no quibble even though there was nothing wrong with the frames - they just didn't fit. First time that's happened tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,942 ✭✭✭ItHurtsWhenIP

rawn wrote: »
    Myself and my husband got that coating on ours... Say it ain't so!

Tbf we spend a lot of time on the computer and I do find my eyes don't feel at tired as they used to at the end of the day, so it seems to work for me!

It's so.

And here is the programme in question - jump to 1:58:

I spend most of my day on the computer and phone (have done so for most of my life). Even back in the days when the massive B52 CRTs (5250 monitors) were irradiating my brain, I had no problems.

Orion wrote:
    The op is wrong on this being a rip. As so many people have said the tint is extra.

Interesting you believe that a tint on sunglasses is an 'extra' but each to their own, when you buy a car do you pay extra for tyres?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,326 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Orion wrote: »

Have you actually looked at the link - it's very blatant. The price and a tinted lenses. It's not even in the same league as a McDonalds ad showing a burger that is just a taller version of the squashed actual one you get handed.

Very clear misrepresentation IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

This is definitely a case for consumer protection agency.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭emeldc

Orion wrote: »

Jesus H what is wrong with some people. How can they be classed as SUNglasses if there's no fuggin' tint :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

emeldc wrote: »
    Jesus H what is wrong with some people. How can they be classed as SUNglasses if there's no fuggin' tint :confused:
    To be sold as sunglasses they just need to provide UV400 protection, which can be achieved with a polycarbonate or clear coated standard lens. Tint levels are categorised 0-4, but I don't think there is any minimum specification for sunglasses - might depend on jurisdiction though.
    nosilver wrote: »
    I can only speak from experience in working in a physical store, but the range was called "Sun", not sunglasses - as in they were frames that were suitable for fitting a prescription lens and would "look" good as sunglasses as well. Pricing for tints was always indicated. If you want fashionable sunglasses go to sunglass hut but you won't get a prescription in most of those frames. Personally I prefer polarised non-prescription with contact lenses but each to their own.

Also IIRC identical frames were often in different sections (Mens/Sun), pricing was done on the dummy lens to avoid confusion (with different coloured stickers). This meant that different prices could be listed on the tint and clear, despite the frames being the same.

As I've said earlier I do agree that the website pricing is misleading but the staff in the retail stores have little control over this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

This has to be one of the most insane threads on boards.

sunglasses
    ˈsʌnɡlɑːsɪz/
    noun
    glasses tinted to protect the eyes from sunlight or glare.

Jimoslimos wrote: »
    To be sold as sunglasses they just need to provide UV400 protection, ....

I wonder if thats the same person who thought it was ok to define unlimited as limited for broadband.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭readytosnap

Lol great track...

Here another song

https://youtu.be/QePcj9BplMQ

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Have you actually looked at the link - it's very blatant. The price and a tinted lenses. It's not even in the same league as a McDonalds ad showing a burger that is just a taller version of the squashed actual one you get handed.

Robbed from YLYL !

C7dBv4mXgAAhfio.jpg

vicwatson wrote: »
    Robbed from YLYL !

You'll notice the disclaimer * ;) Not such thing to the SS website, it actually states lenses are included, maybe all the ophthalmologists on here 'know' that standard lenses for 'sunglasses' are actually not tinted but it was news to me.

Sunglasses without tinted lenses, but UV400, and prescription lenses. Are just regular prescription glasses in my opinion.

Jimoslimos wrote: »
    ...That's why you'll never see a pair of wraparound shades - because the curvature isn't suitable for most prescription lenses.....

My favorite pair of wraparound shades were prescription from a place like this.
    They did odd things to certain colours though. They got taken from the car, during a service and I could never find a place to make a similar pair again. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

bladespin wrote: »
    Interesting you believe that a tint on sunglasses is an 'extra' but each to their own, when you buy a car do you pay extra for tyres?

emeldc wrote: »

Urmagurd. I've been wearing glasses for 36 years. Standard lenses are standard lenses. Always have been. Tinted, polarising, polaroid, reactalite - whatever they're calling it today have always been extra. Since the 70s at least!

Get real. Nobody is forcing you to pay for it. When they give you the price you can just say no and take your prescription and go elsewhere. Vote with your feet and don't be sheeple.

Standard lenses are not sunglasses.

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭eqwjewoiujqorj

Specsavers are a rip off.

Go to goggles4u.com - great prices - so low that when I get a couple of pairs from the US, it's always below the customs 25 euro limit.

iTQE4on.png

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭learn_more

It's as if they think their customers are half blind and so can't make out the finer details in the advert in a deliberate attempt to dupe them.

Advertisement