Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Glastonbury 2020

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

You'll have no problem getting the Monday night ferry back, I've got the Monday afternoon ferry back (about 14:30 if memory serves me) and didn't have any issues, although that was by car.
    It can sometimes be chaos getting out on the Monday mornings, plenty of tales of 2hr tailbacks to get out from the carpark and country lanes onto open road. Try get out before 10am if possible.

Also got the Monday night ferry back from Holyhead (around 20:00 I think), which we made in plenty of time, although that's about a 6hr car journey, which wasn't too much fun.

Never gone over on the Wednesday night, as that would mean missing 1 day of the festival. Always went over Tuesday and stayed in a hotel that night, or got the early Wednesday morning ferry from Rosslare.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 351 ✭✭TenPicnics

Thank you Boardsies for your advice, tickets bought, returning on the Monday night ferry :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭aka accounts 2010

TenPicnics wrote: »
    Hi, I'm hoping to get some advice from the kind folks on here who are travelling over to Glastonbury from Ireland by ferry. I've tried searching previous years' threads but can't find a lot of solid information.

Is the Rosslare - Fishguard route the one to go for (we're thinking of getting a Wed. night ferry), and is it advisable to stay somewhere on the Monday to recover before driving on the Tuesday to get the ferry back to Ireland?
    Stena have a 15% off flash sale for 24 hours at the moment.

Thanks for any advice you might have.

2020 will be our fourth Glastonbury (2014,2017,2019) and we've done them all with a 6 berth campervan.

2017 and 2019, we travelled over on the Tuesday morning sailing with Irish Ferries from Rosslare to Pembroke. Arrive in Pembroke at lunchtime and drive to Glastonbury. We stop a few times on route and aim to arrive for 6pm.

Settle in the Tuesday evening and a good nights sleep in advance of gates opening Wednesday morning.

We leave between 6am and 7am on the Monday morning and have been back in Pembroke in plenty time for the afternoon sailing back to Rosslare.

(Always been in Campervan West which was great for getting in and out from. All changed for 2020 with all campervans going to Campervan East as West is being changed to pre-erected camping).

If you can, travel over Tuesday morning or if that's not an option, Tuesday night. You'll be much more relaxed and can enjoy the Wednesday at the festival. You'll lose a full day by heading over the Wednesday night.

Campervan resale is on right now. Got a ticket!

https://glastonbury.seetickets.com/content/extras

• Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭Poorside

Campervan resale is on right now. Got a ticket!

https://glastonbury.seetickets.com/content/extras

Howdy neighbour

plenty of self-confirms lately; Clairo, Ocean Colour Scene, Angel Olson, The Murder Capital, Wolfgang Flur....but the one we've all been waiting for:

https://twitter.com/mary_coughlan4/status/1230192872990879750

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Hailey Cometh

Has anyone ever gone there from Bristol? I assume traffic will be a total mare?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,013 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Depends what time. A mare on Wednesday morning yeah. Would advise to fly in Tuesday night and stay somewhere closer. Glastonbury town always an option.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,870 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

plenty of self-confirms lately; Clairo, Ocean Colour Scene, Angel Olson, The Murder Capital, Wolfgang Flur....but the one we've all been waiting for:

https://twitter.com/mary_coughlan4/status/1230192872990879750

A good addition. Caught her during the Galway Arts Festival last Summer and she was excellent. For me it's a better booking than Ocean Colour Scene or Angel Olsen.

• Advertisement

I reckon we're close to a biggish announcement, lot of people self confirmed and Lianne Lehavas posted on Twitter about an announcement she can't say yet but soon, someone posted a gif of Eavis and she liked it.
    .2+2 = yellow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,268 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

I've gotten the bus from bristol every year, usually in the morning. There's traffic but it's never been that bad (apart from 2016 but those were exceptional circumstances) usually takes about 2 hours. Maybe I've just been lucky with times, I've always arrived before midday. Im looking at flights now, more expensive this year :(

• Site Banned Posts: 20,686 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Twice. Got the train both times. Bit crammed but feck all waiting once on board and busses from station to entrance of campsite then.

Nice city too to chill out in afterwards, though not as nice as Bath which a smart friend did for a few days to unwind

Weepsie wrote: »
    Twice. Got the train both times. Bit crammed but feck all waiting once on board and busses from station to entrance of campsite then.

Nice city too to chill out in afterwards, though not as nice as Bath which a smart friend did for a few days to unwind

Both cities are pretty cool. Bath is pretty amazing. And a great idea, may have to take a few days off after a future Glasto. If I ever get tickets again and Boris doesn't build a wall.

Calvin Harris is booked for Pangea.

I'd say Glastonbury will be called off due to this corona virus

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,030 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Pfft... still 4 months away yet. Let's not get ahead of ourselves.

Alas, I think you're right but hope you're wrong. The UK health authorities are saying that Summer is when it hits hardest. Could be the death knell for a few festivals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,829 ✭✭✭Toast

we were all thinking it.. but didn't mean you had to say it out loud. :-|

Seathrun66 wrote: »
    Alas, I think you're right but hope you're wrong. The UK health authorities are saying that Summer is when it hits hardest. Could be the death knell for a few festivals.

It's pure speculation at this point. Spanish flu had the opposite effect to what you are suggesting. It didn't do well in the heat so had a resurgence when Autumn came around. So maybe we'll have an amazing summer full of festivals only to die come Winter. Fingers crossed.

It's pure speculation at this point. Spanish flu had the opposite effect to what you are suggesting. It didn't do well in the heat so had a resurgence when Autumn came around. So maybe we'll have an amazing summer full of festivals only to die come Winter. Fingers crossed.

Speculation maybe, but the UK authorities are trying to contain and delay the virus until the NHS can better cope with it, Summer being their aim.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/feb/13/coronavirus-medical-chief-says-uk-hopes-to-delay-any-outbreak-until-summer

We must also be aware that the death rate is 2% (of those who are infected). to put it into perspective influenza results in 1% of deaths per year, both disproportionately affecting the elderly and those with underlying immunity problems. This is very significant but the death rate may be far less than a year (eg 2013) with bad influenza.

• Advertisement

The general consensus seems to be that this virus won't do well in the heat? I think thats why the outbreaks in the middle east have been small by comparison and up until today there were no cases in south america (one in brazil now) Didn't have much impact in the rest of the southern hemisphere where they are at the end of summer now. If there's an Italy style outbreak in the UK between now and glasto it's game over. If it's still only a few cases here and there we'll be fine. Fingers crossed!

Ill be gutted for you if glasto is cancelled the one year you manage to get tickets :pac:

MadYaker wrote: »
    The general consensus seems to be that this virus won't do well in the heat? I think thats why the outbreaks in the middle east have been small by comparison and up until today there were no cases in south america (one in brazil now) Didn't have much impact in the rest of the southern hemisphere where they are at the end of summer now. If there's an Italy style outbreak in the UK between now and glasto it's game over. If it's still only a few cases here and there we'll be fine. Fingers crossed!

Well, if heat is the solution MadYaker, then you and I are contentedly safe in County Galway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭dam099

Speculation maybe, but the UK authorities are trying to contain and delay the virus until the NHS can better cope with it, Summer being their aim.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/feb/13/coronavirus-medical-chief-says-uk-hopes-to-delay-any-outbreak-until-summer

We must also be aware that the death rate is 2% (of those who are infected). to put it into perspective influenza results in 1% of deaths per year, both disproportionately affecting the elderly and those with underlying immunity problems. This is very significant but the death rate may be far less than a year (eg 2013) with bad influenza.
    But isn't the death rate for those infected with flu more like 0.1-0.2%? If so and this was to infect similar numbers (not yet clear that it will) it would be much more significant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,144 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

3qnrty.jpg

Well, if heat is the solution MadYaker, then you and I are contentedly safe in County Galway.

My family have a gaf way out west in the bog if it gets really bad and we have to evacuate the city I’ll give you the coordinates :pac:

My family have a gaf way out west in the bog if it gets really bad and we have to evacuate the city I’ll give you the coordinates :pac:

I have Galway blood in my so I’ll need them as well.

Manics have self confirmed for Glasto.

And Joe Rooney

I heard off a taxi driver that Mumford and Sons will be playing Glastonbury. I trust this guy as he seemed to know everything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭Wooderson

Joe Rooney confirmation is huge.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,013 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Wooderson wrote: »
    Joe Rooney confirmation is huge.

Pyramid between Aerosmith and Macca?

Or they might give him his own stage? The Spirit of Joe Rooney Stage.

The Nal wrote: »
    Pyramid between Aerosmith and Macca?

Or they might give him his own stage? The Spirit of Joe Rooney Stage.

I think he’s going to curate the Other stage for the weekend.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Poorside wrote: »
    I think he’s going to curate the Other stage for the weekend.

Which does he prefer, Oasis or Blur?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,907 ✭✭✭Stillill42

Joe Rooney trending on the Glastonbury forum. The FOMO is huge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭Wooderson

Joe Fomo-ony.

Which does he prefer, Oasis or Blur?

Oasis

No
    Blur.

I know I posted a joke above about Coronavirus and personally I believe the hype about it is crazy (Another discussion). But I'm beginning to get a bit worried that they might cancel it.....

I mean I hope to jesus, no. But it's starting to look dodge.

I know I posted a joke above about Coronavirus and personally I believe the hype about it is crazy (Another discussion). But I'm beginning to get a bit worried that they might cancel it.....

I mean I hope to jesus, no. But it's starting to look dodge.
    https://www.somersetlive.co.uk/news/somerset-news/glastonbury-2020-coronavirus-festival-nhs-3910761
    Adrian Coombs, Glastonbury Festival’s Head of Event Operations, said: “Glastonbury Festival thoroughly plans each year's event, and puts in place all necessary measures to protect the public and maximise safety.

We work closely with all of the relevant agencies, including Public Health England and the NHS, and always review our plans as any circumstances change.

With this in mind and with our 2020 Festival still 16 weeks away, we continue to plan and prepare for the event, whilst at the same time closely monitoring developments with the coronavirus situation.

I think we just need to prepare for the worst to be honest.

I'd say what's as likely is a lot of bands will pull out of European tours.. for example:

https://twitter.com/WolfParade/status/1234526776447008768

.. and force organisers to cancel.

Yeah, my thought initially was that many acts simply may not tour and will not be "in the area" even if they do decide to go ahead with Glasto. I.... I don't know.... I think I'd rather they postpone it for a year than half-ass it.

Just guarantee that those with tickets this year have the option of guaranteed tickets next year.

But Jesus, fingers, legs, everything crossed it doesn't come to that.

• Advertisement

I haven’t booked flights or buses yet I’m holding off for another few weeks. By balance payment week we should have a better idea of what’s likely but I personally think this won’t impact the festival at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭I see sheep

I'd say about 10% chance of this going ahead, unfortunately

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 657 ✭✭✭sally cinnamon89

I'd say about 10% chance of this going ahead, unfortunately

where is this coming from haha

Just guarantee that those with tickets this year have the option of guaranteed tickets next year.
    A few in our group mentioned this the other day if is cancelled..

.. but I can't see this happening.

where is this coming from haha

Well for instance, today England's chief medical officer has said there was a “slim to zero” chance of avoiding a global pandemic, which could see “huge pressure” on the NHS, making it impossible for all who need beds to get them.

In this scenario all major gatherings of people will be banned, I think it's inevitable. Government won't be able to say "Yes there's so many people ill we don't have enough beds but keep going on like normal anyway".

Just to note I do think people are panicking too much and I have 3 concerts booked for summer, plus a trip to the soccer euros & a couple other flights, so I really don't want to see this but like I say it looks inevitable.

Glastonbury regular Mik Artistik is playing Dublin and Galway this weekend:
    https://www.mikartistik.com/live

• Advertisement

Well for instance, today England's chief medical officer has said there was a “slim to zero” chance of avoiding a global pandemic, which could see “huge pressure” on the NHS, making it impossible for all who need beds to get them.

In this scenario all major gatherings of people will be banned, I think it's inevitable. Government won't be able to say "Yes there's so many people ill we don't have enough beds but keep going on like normal anyway".

Just to note I do think people are panicking too much and I have 3 concerts booked for summer, plus a trip to the soccer euros & a couple other flights, so I really don't want to see this but like I say it looks inevitable.

Load of nonsense speculation to be honest. It's just too early to tell.

I guess you missed out on a ticket and are trying to get a few back onto the pot?

I think we'll have to hear within the next two weeks. I have my fears.

My main concern would be simply that many of the proposed (unannounced) acts will simply decide not to tour which would leave many many holes in the schedule. As opposed to the Eaves' deciding to cancel it due to fears of crowd spreading the virus. I mean even if they decided to go ahead, if 20% of the acts pull out then what? It's not what they would want for the 50th. I'd say they may cancel and have the 50th next year (If you know what I mean, make a little joke about the belated 50th).

I mean, again, HOPING for the best but.........

No way they will cancel unless forced to do so by the authorities. They've come under immense pressure from all corners to pull the plug in the past and never have. I don't think acts dropping out will make a difference. A festival with 80% of the planned lineup is better than no festival, especially for the 50th. There's a lot of UK acts that could be got at very short notice and it's not as if the festival is financially vulnerable. At the moment I'm still optimistic but that may change as things progress. I think we will hear one way or the other before balance payment week anyway and until then I expect silence unless the situation in the UK really goes pear shaped.

I guess you missed out on a ticket and are trying to get a few back onto the pot?

:pac: I'm otherwise engaged that week so can't go.

Looking forward to it on tv if it goes ahead though.

3rlhkz.jpg

..... Wait, did I say that out loud?

• Advertisement
Advertisement