Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Ongoing Doctor Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,307 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Well damn that was a good episode

• Closed Accounts Posts: 333 ✭✭Martin Tyler AgueroooOO

That was a fun episode and now hopefully the last two episodes this season continue in that form.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

Definitely much better but
    did they really need to have The Doctor declare "it's a lone Cyberman"? Could they not have trusted the audience to see that he was on his own. I rolled my eyes at that bit.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Definitely an improvement. For one thing, the story flowed better and actually worked towards bringing the plots to a solid ending - something that seems to be a challenge this season. I wonder if it's because Chibs hadn't got his paws on it?

The directing was also better here too, which is a little surprising given the same director did last week's episode.

I liked how the Doctor dismissed the companion's concerns arrogantly - it's an interesting side to her and hopefully will play out in the final two episodes.

So the rumour is
    one of the companions is to die
    - my money's on
    Ryan

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,364 ✭✭✭campo

fritzelly wrote: »
    So the rumour is one of the companions is to die - my money's on Ryan

Should put a spoiler alert on that, just in case but my money is on
    Bradley Walsh

campo wrote: »
    Should put a spoiler alert on that, just in case but my money is on
    Bradley Walsh

Can't spoiler it now that you have it quoted ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,857 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

So were they ghosts?
    Seems strange Graham was the only one to see them.

I'm assuming they were implying the Cyberman was inspiration for Frankenstein

• Registered Users Posts: 12,234 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

I really enjoyed that episode. Very well done. Best one of the last two seasons. Good tension throughout, set up for a good final two episodes.

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Only caught up with the last 2 episodes there today, and I thought them both strong, the Shelly / Cyberman one in particular. Seems like the kind of connection so obvious once its made, ha. Lots of tension, atmosphere and good structure throughout. Certainly the best episode this and in recent years?

The one before that was all right, but definitely felt like a premise that ran out of steam halfway through. More could have been done with the fear angle, or the Eternals as antagonists. The exchange between Graham and the Doctor was a huge balldrop IMO though, accidental callousness from someone who ordinarily would have some comfort for Graham's very real anxieties.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭flazio

I think that's the first time Doctor Who has visited this damp little rock.

Damn - didn't want that to end and an Irish angle
    And Brendan - ooh - what's going on there
    is he a Timelord (should have died), is he the Timeless Child, is he the Cyberman. Did he age quick or did the other guys not age at all

So many questions - cannot wait til next week

That was great! Really hope they don't bottle it! I was only thinking during the week "it's weird Doctor Who has never been to Ireland", technically she still hasn't but they could have some fun with the Police box.
    I think Graham is gonna be linked to the Ireland subplot, couldn't help notice they went deliberately out of their way to have Yaz use his full name Graham O'Brien and I don't think we ever learnt Brendan's surname.[\Spoiler]

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,181 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

FunLover18 wrote: »
    That was great! Really hope they don't bottle it! I was only thinking during the week "it's weird Doctor Who has never been to Ireland", technically she still hasn't but they could have some fun with the Police box.
    I think Graham is gonna be linked to the Ireland subplot, couldn't help notice they went deliberately out of their way to have Yaz use his full name Graham O'Brien and I don't think we ever learnt Brendan's surname.[\Spoiler]

I think one of the audio adventures did something with the book of Kells ..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭McLoughlin

The 7th Doctor had a right auld barney with Ollie Cromwell in Wexford

McLoughlin wrote: »
    The 7th Doctor had a right auld barney with Ollie Cromwell in Wexford

TV or audio?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭McLoughlin

flazio wrote: »
    TV or audio?

Audio, In fact if you want to learn about Cromwell in Ireland it does a damn good job.

Thinking about all the things this finale had to wrap up I can't help but feel it will be a little crammed;

- The Master/Galifrey
    - The Cybermen
    - Brendan
    - Ruth
    - Captain Jack

Does anyone know if the finale is going to be longer than usual?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,631 ✭✭✭wench

FunLover18 wrote: »
    Does anyone know if the finale is going to be longer than usual?
    It's listed as an hour and ten minutes.

wench wrote: »
    It's listed as an hour and ten minutes.

That's something because I left The Timeless Child off the list of things to wrap up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,234 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

I like angry Irish cyberman. (presuming) or what else would Brendan be? Timelord, ancient one, something new?

Was a good episode.

Still confused over Brendan and the whole torture scene...

I like the Cyber Troop Carrier. Massive looking Titan.
    Cyber drop ships look nice.
    Acting was decent. Story was good all be it pacing at high caffeine levels.

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

Somebody said elsewhere that
    Old Brendan is Ko Sharmus, not recognizable because of the clean shaven face.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

I'm assuming Brendan is the Timeless Child? We know that's coming up and he did age differently to those around him.
    Finally Ireland gets a role on screen and not only that, we're either the saviour of the universe / destroyer of Gallifrey or, if it's Brendan the Cyberman then destroyer of all life! We're coming in strong. Nice to hear actual accents too.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,857 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Was watching thinking were we meant to support the Cyberman now that we find out he's Irish, but wasn't to be.

Had to laugh at Yaz on comms. Did she not realise the Cybermen could hear as well. She was basically telling the Cybermen the Graham was on their floor as well as giving the location of the rest of the humans.

Seen a few people on Twitter point out that Brendan did more police work in one episode that Yaz has done in two series.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,570 ✭✭✭Mollyb60

Heard the tweedle dee oirish music at the start and my heart sank expecting terrible Irish accents. Was pleasantly surprised to hear proper accents used for a change. Thought the last 2 episodes were quite good but I've not been enjoying this series at all. They just seem to have gone into overdrive with ramming topical 'lessons' down everyone's throats each episode.
    I do think they're setting it up quite nicely for the companions to leave at the end of this season.

Maybe it's been mentioned or discussed here already but was the intention in the nightmares episode that Yaz was going to commit suicide when the nice police lady found her on the side of the road? Is that what her and her sister are commemorating every year?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

That was a really strong episode, the last couple have been quite decent and the Irish setting was a nice touch. Sure it had been said before that Gallifrey sounded Irish, maybe that's the big twist :D hopefully this can stick the landing, not uncommon where the second part can't quite keep the standard up.

It's where Gaillimh/Galway got it's name from. I'm sure of it. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,179 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Only 8 minutes to go ....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 333 ✭✭Martin Tyler AgueroooOO

Well that was ****e

Advertisement